Best and favorite Catholic Musicians.
  • Geremia
    organist...

Helmut Walcha... hands down.

harpsichordist?

Gustav
    Wow, thank you francis! I am listening now to an historical recording of Gustav playing Bach's Art of the Fugue, and it is seriously the best I've ever heard it played! His timing and accenting make these fugues come alive in a way I've never heard before. Thanks for the suggestion!
    Thanked by 1francis
  • Unda_Maris
    Jefe -- I've no doubt about Proulx as a fine musician, composer, conductor and music editor. He is a household name in Catholic church music. But my vote goes to the late Dr. Theodore Marier (1912-2001). His legacy as the finest teacher of Gregorian Chant in this country, in addition to being a superb conductor, composer, organist and music editor. Having sung under Dr. Marier for 10 years at St. Paul, Cambridge, MA, he has left an indelible mark on me. For me, he represented the benchmark of quality Catholic Church music and liturgy in this country. His faith and his music were one. It was visually clear in his rehearsals and conducting.

Obviously, we're all entitled to our opinions and life experiences. But hands down, Dr. Marier gets my vote.

Unda Maris
  • PhatFlute
    Why does it all always comeback to St. Paul church cambridge? Coincidence?

Thank you undamaris for your answer <3
  • Unda_Maris
    I don't know that it ALWAYS comes back to St. Paul, Cambridge. I'm sure there are other churches/cathedrals around the country that have been praised for their successful music programs.....The Madeleine in Salt Lake City being one, Holy Name Cathedral, Chicago, St. Agnes, NYC are others. I can only tell you my experiences at St. Paul's, were profound. Also, Dr. Marier was a highly respected conductor in Boston since his boys sang and made recordings with the Boston Symphony under Ozawa on many occasions over the years. If you had not heard the choir at a Sun. Mass at St. Paul's, anything I could say would pale in comparison.
  • PhatFlute
    So now is who our favorite/ best musicians? It has been a season since I have asked you all. And have no doubt that our ideas are different; now.

Best, happy October,
    Phát "Phil" Hoh (HohlFlutePhat/ PhátFlute)
  • francis
    jsb

... o shux,,, not catholic
  • kenstb
    Ditto!!
  • SalieriSalieri
    Right now - either Tournemire or Messiaen, can't decide.

It's like choosing between Brie and Port Salut.
  • PhatFlute
    Who did the composing of your music in the video? Delighting me ! (Catholic no?)

Ph
  • chonakchonak
    The last video was an excerpt from the 1999 movie, "A Grand Day Out".
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • An aside about Wallace and Gromit - I got really excited during "The Curse of the Were-Rabbit" when Elgar's Nimrod variation started playing on the appearance of the hunter character.

< /nerdy anecdote >
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Stephen Cleobury...

errr...

Umm...

Oops.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • MatthewRoth
    Well, many of my favorites have been mentioned, so I will add two more. Giovanni Vianini has done excellent work by putting many chants on Youtube, and he helps to work through them so a singer can learn them. I also think he interprets the chant well and sings it well. For organists, I would say Paul Weber. He really got me to appreciate improvisation, which is something he does phenomenally well.