Role of the Cantor
  • ' ...and said, 'is she not the Mother of God?'

Well, yes... but...
    She is the Mother of the Incarnate God-Man, Jesus. She is not 'from everlasting'. She is not the mother of the Triune God, not of the eternal Father, not of the Holy Ghost, nor of the Trinity, but of God-the-Son, the Incarnate God-Man Jesus (and not of the Son in his capacity of Only-Begotten-of-the-Father before all worlds). She was sinless by a special act of God's grace, not of her own nature. The glory that is hers and her very immaculate conception are gifts of God to a non-divine creature, not hers by virtue of her nature, or inherent grace. The mass is an act of intercommunion, an inter-action between the Triune Majesty and the Church, this only. Its graces are the gifts of God and no other.

While I am confident that my Mariology is quite Catholic, Orthodox, and sound, and while I do accord to the Blessed and Glorious Ever-Vigin Mary the hyper-dulia and veneration which is her due (that, and no more), I fully expect to be castigated by those who (very wrongly) regard her as co-redemptrix, mediatrix of all graces, and other attributes which do not, in fact, belong to her.

(And, if some competent person should charge that I may have erred theologically, I will gladly recant and adjust. [And, if I have erred, it is not so greatly as some ethnic groups who commonly and openly worship her as a goddess without so much as a peep out of their priests and bishops].)
    Thanked by 2Gavin ghmus7
  • francis
    Addressing prayers to anyone, even the BVM, during the mass is not allowed.
    What? This is false. Many of the official propers address the Virgin Mary directly. Also, there is nothing that prohibits praying the rosary during the Mass.
    Thanked by 1kenstb
  • Those propers, such as the offertory Ave Maria, are properly understood as quotations of scripture and proclamations of attributes. The propers are cantillations of scriptural texts, no more. They are not supplicatory. There are no prayers in the ritual text of the mass that are addressed to our Lady, or any other saint. They may be 'remembered' in collects of their feast days, or in the Roman canon, but they are not prayed to, nor are their prayers invoked.

Yes, there is nothing that prohibits saying the rosary during mass. Neither is there anything that prohibits reading Agatha Christie (as I have known some to do). Actually, I don't mean to be catty, but the rosary is a private devotion which is out of place at liturgia. (And yet, perhaps there is something that prohibits saying the rosary during mass, i.e., the very prohibition of addressing any other than the God-head at mass.)
  • kenstb
    MJO, I understand your point, but I think that the great Eugenio Pacelli would disagree with you on whether the rosary is out of place at liturgia.
  • As a matter of preface, I play the organ for a living at a big Catholic parish, but I work for a music directer and am therefore innocent of all musical wrongdoing.

Anyhow, last Sunday I was afforded the opportunity to drift into a choirloft frequented by known associates of mine singing at their regular extraordinary form high mass.

The director was absent, and the volunteers were making do on-the-fly: organ processional, gregorian propers, a Hassler polyphonic mass, Tallis' If Ye Love Me, Lambillotte Panis Angelicus, organ recessional. All of which were performed very well by the eight or nine singers and organist. All volunteers, too, even the organist.

Well here's my thought. So much of what I read here is the constant insistence that congregations be singing ordinaries during mass.

Why?

Theologically, the most important aspect of attending mass is the interior disposition of the soul towards the sacrifice on the altar. That doesn't change from EF to OF. Musically, an increased focus on congregational singing, in my mind, diminishes a) choral harmony with or without organ, b) the chanting of any more than two or three of the eighteen Gregorian ordinaries, six credos, etc., and c) singing polyphonic masses.

Who in their right mind would prefer to sing the Pro Defunctis Sanctus with organ and congregation as if it were a chorale, instead of kneeling, listening to Palestrina's Missa Brevis Sanctus and meditating on the canon/Eucharistic prayer as it begins on the altar? Or even the Sanctus from Mass XVII sung gently, clearly, by a group of men or women?

Without Christ in-the-flesh, as it were, Protestants had other things they could focus on in their liturgy to keep people interested. But at the Catholic mass, everything surrounds the sacrifice, everything leads to "Christ happening" on the altar, or at least should.

So, I think -- in that perfect world -- congregational singing should be diminished to the degree that a schola can chant and a choir can sing.

And in instances when the congregation will be singing, such as processional and recessional hymns, frankly, some dude in the sanctuary, amplified on a microphone, essentially treating the congregation like idiots with his hand gestures, is not supportive of a Christ-centered liturgy. A good organist can lead a congregation and choir with ease, just look at Protestant music programs.

In OF parishes we're so culturally locked into "participation" we have in many instances re-created the oft-cited liturgical boredom of the 1950s. Only the music is awful now. And we're famous for it.
  • chonakchonak
    Thank you; that's an interesting way to look at the typical practice in parishes.
  • fcbfcb
    MJO,

In the Byzantine liturgy, which of course is celebrated by Catholics as well as Orthodox, during the anaphora itself the congregation sings: It is truly right to bless you, Theotokos, ever blessed, most pure, and mother of our God. More honorable than the Cherubim, and beyond compare more glorious than the Seraphim, without corruption you gave birth to God the Word. We magnify you, the true Theotokos. Not a supplication, of course, but it seems to me it still goes beyond what you would consider proper, n'est ce pas?
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • PaixGioiaAmorPaixGioiaAmor
    So, I think -- in that perfect world -- congregational singing should be diminished to the degree that a schola can chant and a choir can sing.

I don't disagree with all that you've said, but I find this hard to square with the language of Vatican II about congregational participation above all else.

Like you, I EMPHATICALLY reject the claim that such participation means the congregation must always be verbalizing; However, I find it equally hard to believe that the intention of the council was that nothing should really change from the "old mass" to the "new mass," and that the congregation need not really sing or ever participate outwardly.

I think that there is room for a choral Gloria or Agnus Dei, and a couple of motets before and during mass. But I think it's a mistake to suggest that the people don't need to, as a rule, sing the ordinary or other elements of the mass.
  • ClergetKubiszClergetKubisz
    However, I find it equally hard to believe that the intention of the council was that nothing should really change from the "old mass" to the "new mass," and that the congregation need not really sing or ever participate outwardly.

I think there's a lot of people that have a black and white view of this: it's either they sing everything, or they sing nothing. Period. I have a very difficult time with that philosophy.
    Thanked by 1hilluminar
  • francis
    MJO

This is a tangent and should probably be a new thread, but have you read the treatise, 'True Devotion To Mary' by St. Louis de Montfort?
    Thanked by 1kenstb
    I think there's a lot of people that have a black and white view of this: it's either they sing everything, or they sing nothing. Period. I have a very difficult time with that philosophy.

Yes.
  • G
    Theologically, the most important aspect of attending mass is the interior disposition of the soul towards the sacrifice on the altar. That doesn't change from EF to OF.

Yes, but alas, we have "demi-clerics" who have the effrontery to judge others' "participation" according to to the degree to which it is perceptible to them. "I can't HEAR you!" (I've only literally heard that in school Masses and at weddings, but the attitude carries over into other liturgies.)
    There was a famous liturgical study where someone was using a stop-watch to see if the PIPs were "engaged" enough.
    I think there's a lot of people that have a black and white view of this: it's either they sing everything, or they sing nothing. Period.
    I'm not sure there are "a lot of people" who feel that way, I think there are many who just want ideals acknowledged, but understand perfectly well that in this post-lapsarian world we all fall short.
    Even here, the most strident polemicists understand the realities of... well, real life.

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
  • G
    Sorry, meant to add this.
    Addressing prayers to anyone, even the BVM, during the mass is not allowed

A few years ago, I read from CNA, or CNS, or Zenit ,or something, that the Irish bishops had flatly forbade the apparently common practice, of using a Hail Mary to wind up the Prayer of the Faithful, to continue.
    I'd never encountered it at the time, but since then, I know that plenty of FBI pastors here do that.
    Marian devotion can get out of hand.
    At a Mass where there were to be a number of strongly ethnic parishes gathering, I was given a Polish song to include, and the pastor asked me to find, either to sing, or at least to include in the program, translations.
    When I did, we both agreed that the verse that essentially advocated getting Mary to make an end run around God when He was being mean and scary should be dispensed with.
    (Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
  • CharlesW
    I have read "True Devotion to Mary," and despite what I think were the good saint's best intentions, I thought it was near being over the top. I have heard that story about Jesus denying entry to Heaven and Mary pulling those souls in through a back gate. That's not going to happen. There are reasonable Marian devotions, then there are apparition based and overly sentimental devotions that don't belong in the mass.
  • francis
    de montfort does not espouse your thinking of mary pulling souls in through the back gate. in fact, quite the opposite. even those who manifest outward devotion aren't necessarily devoted at all and can be fooling themselves.
    Thanked by 1ClergetKubisz
  • CharlesW
    No he doesn't. Those are two separate things and maybe I wasn't clear on that. The pulling souls through was never my thinking, but some of my "Marian" friends do go to such extremes. That is where I hear stories like that.

Writing style can be a factor. I read the autobiography of St. Teresa and it was written in the sentimental, flowery style prevalent in her lifetime. Why wouldn't it be, that's when it was written? The steely character of the saint comes through underneath the writing style, but you have to look past the style to find that.
    Thanked by 1G
  • francis
    but some of my "Marian" friends do go to such extremes
    They could be the ones fooling themselves... and you. By your comment, I guess you aren't a 'Marian' friend, eh?
  • CharlesW
    I have an eastern understanding of the Theotokos. The sentimental, maudlin kind that afflicts parts of the west is foreign to me. Now all the west is not like that, but many in the western church are heavily into apparitions, end-time prophecies, and related things.
  • chonakchonak
    De Montfort's approach is quite scriptural, even if that leads him to make statements that sound daring.

He deserves to be a Doctor of the Church.
    Thanked by 1francis
  • Liam
    At lot of people miss an important moment in Story of A Soul, where IIRC St Therese clarifies that she does *not* feel all the sentiment that she expresses, that her writing of it expresses her desire to feel those things that she does. It's an important but overlooked nuance: her dryness goes unnnoticed by many readers, it seems.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • CharlesW
    I think De Monfort's daring statements may be what has kept him from that honor. It isn't what he says but how he says it that could be open to misinterpretation. Then again, who really knows why one becomes a Doctor of the Church, and another doesn't receive that designation.
  • dad29
    I find it equally hard to believe that the intention of the council was that nothing should really change from the "old mass" to the "new mass," and that the congregation need not really sing or ever participate outwardly.

So you should be able to cite exactly that language from SC, right?

In fact, Pius X (and later, SC) said that 'the people should be able to say or sing their part(s) IN LATIN.' SC did not change these principles, given in the Instruction of 1958:

b) The participation of the congregation becomes more complete, however, when, in a
    ddition to this interior disposition, exterior participation is manifested by external acts, such as bodily position (kneeling, standing, sitting), ceremonial signs, and especially responses, prayers, and singing.

The Supreme Pontiff Pius XII, in his encyclical on the sacred liturgy, Mediator Dei, recommended this form of participation:

"Those who are working for the exterior participation of the congregation in the sacred ceremonies are to be warmly commended. This can be accomplished in more than one way. The congregation may answer the words of the priest, as prescribed by the rubrics, or sing hymns appropriate to the different parts of the Mass, or do both. Also, at solemn ceremonies, they may alternate in singing the liturgical chant (AAS 39 [1947] 560)".

When the papal documents treat of "active participation" they are speaking of this general participation (Mediator Dei: AAS 39 [1947] 530-537), of which the outstanding example is the priest, and his ministers who serve at the altar with the proper interior dispositions, and carefully observe the rubrics, and ceremonies.

c) Active participation is perfect when "sacramental" participation is included. In this way "the people receive the Holy Eucharist not only by spiritual desire, but also sacramentally, and thus obtain greater benefit from this most holy Sacrifice". (Council of Trent, Sess. 22, ch. 6; cf. also Mediator Dei: AAS 39 [1947] 565: "It is most appropriate, as the liturgy itself prescribes, for the people to come to holy Communion after the priest has received at the altar".)

- See more at: http://www.adoremus.org/1958Intro-sac-mus.html#sthash.v59rjDMa.dpuf
    Thanked by 1eft94530
  • kenstb
    Wow!! Theology 101....again. Don't we need to get past tossing documents at each other? After all, most of us would love lots of singing if it were accompanied by the reverence and awe due to Christ. I actually don't care whether a large choir or small choir sings. I don't care what name we call it. I do care that what we sing and how we sing embody the truth of what we believe.

Sometimes we miss the forest for the trees. Parishes are not identical. The people in the pews by and large do not have the formation or education and experience that we do. The devotion of some communities to the Blessed Virgin can be seen as a fetish to those of us who are unfamiliar with it. But if that devotion helps them to pray more often and more sincerely, who are we to criticize it? The important thing is that the worshipping community approach the altar with a disposition which is appropriate for the reception of the body, blood, soul and divinity of Jesus Christ himself. Our music, our proclaiming, our welcoming must reflect the reality that He is with us. If we try to do this and spend less time judging people's orthodoxy, we will accomplish wonders.
    Thanked by 1Spriggo
  • francis
    I think De Monfort's daring statements

What are these 'daring statments'? I am not getting this.
  • I think it is counterproductive to have the congregation singing, badly, a hymn with words of questionable origin instead of listening to the word of God set by the masters of sacred music. I will say it again, there is that one mass where people who like to sing attend. Then there is the other 4 or 5 where people are not interested in singing. The choral mass should have professional musicians and beautiful and noble music. The others should be left silent, or with an able organist playing adequate repertoire during offertory and communion. After 5 decades of having cantors singing at the people (or in 99% of the cases, instead of the people) and with the rise of choral music and interest in Gregorian Chant in churches, we should be suggesting to our priests to allocate more money to choral activities in the church and do away with cantors.
  • Those propers, such as the offertory Ave Maria, are properly understood as quotations of scripture and proclamations of attributes. The propers are cantillations of scriptural texts, no more. They are not supplicatory. There are no prayers in the ritual text of the mass that are addressed to our Lady, or any other saint. They may be 'remembered' in collects of their feast days, or in the Roman canon, but they are not prayed to, nor are their prayers invoked.

Not quite true.
    Some of the propers for the Common of the BVM (OF and EF) say quite directly, "intercede for us". This is much the same thing as the added request at the Ave Maria, to pray for us now and at the hour of our death.

In our desire to rightly distance ourselves from excessive or misguided devotion, or even flat out idolatry, I would caution against overreacting or holding our nose at Marian devotion as well. This latter problem reflects the iconoclast taint in current liturgical studies, and its quite inauthentic and unseemly for a Catholic.

I will publicly say I love Mary, as she is the Mother of Our Lord and the disciple par excellence, and I'm eternally grateful for her role in my life. I would be cowardly if I didn't acknowledge that she has drawn me (sometimes kicking and screaming) to her Son in a profound way. Stubborn hearts like mine need the tough love treatment, I expect. :)
  • chonakchonak
    OK, here's a look at the OF propers. I have omitted those that do not appear to address our Lady.

Where no Scripture reference is listed, the text source is not indicated in the 1974 Gradual.

The Introits include:
    "Salve, sancta parens..." (Sedulius)
    "Vultum tuum deprecabuntur..." (Ps. 44: 13ff.)

Graduals:
    "Audi, filia, et vide..." (Ps. 44:11ff)
    "Benedicta et venerabilis es, Virgo Maria..."
    "Concupivit rex de corem tuum..." (Ps 44:12)
    "DIffusa est gratia in labiis tuis..." (Ps 44:3)
    "Propter veritatem.... [V.] Audi, filia, et vide..." (Ps. 44: 5, 11ff)
    "Specie tua et pulchritudine tua..." (Ps. 44:3)

Alleluias:
    "Ave Maria, gratia plena..." (Lk 1:28)
    "Diffusa est gratia..." (Ps. 44:3)
    "Felix es, sacra Virgo Maria..."
    "Post partum, Virgo, inviolata permansisti..."
    "Propter veritatem...." (Ps. 44:5)
    "Specie tua..." (Ps. 44:5)

Tract:
    "Audi, filia, et vide..." (Ps. 44:11ff)
    "Gaude, Maria Virgo..."

Offertory:
    "Ave Maria, gratia plena..." (Lk. 1:28)
    "Beata es, Virgo Maria..."
    "Felix namque es, sacra Virgo Maria..."
    "Recordare, Virgo Mater, ..." (Jer. 18:20)

Communio:
    "Gloriosa dicta sunt de te, Maria..." (Ps. 86:3)

So there is a lot of quotation from Psalm 44, with application to Our Lady; there are several antiphons with non-scriptural texts that directly address our Lady, even by name.
    Thanked by 1eft94530
  • SalieriSalieri
    We should also not forget other liturgical texts of the Church: Salve Regina, Ave Regina caelorum, Regina caeli, Alma Redemptoris Mater, Ave Maris stella, Stabat Mater, and a host of other antiphons and sequences.

Many of these could well be used as GIRM (2010) option four for the entrance (and other) chants: another liturgical chant.
  • The hymns and four votive antiphons to our Lady mentioned above are extra-liturgical and are not integral to the body of chant proper to or attendant upon the ritual text of the mass; nor are they appropriately sung at mass. They are sung, as they have been historically, not within, but following mass and office (particularly vespers), and in private or extra-liturgical devotions and processions.
    Thanked by 2ghmus7 dad29
  • hartleymartin
    The four votive antiphons are not extra-liturgical. They are an integral part of the office of compline.
  • I repeat:

Those propers, such as the offertory Ave Maria, are properly understood as quotations of scripture and proclamations of attributes. The propers are cantillations of scriptural texts, no more. They are not supplicatory. There are no prayers in the ritual text of the mass that are addressed to our Lady, or any other saint. They may be 'remembered' in collects of their feast days, or in the Roman canon, but they are not prayed to, nor are their prayers invoked.

Not quite true.

Some of the propers for the Common of the BVM (OF and EF) say quite directly, "intercede for us".

"Intercedite pro nobis". It's crystal clear.

If there were some sort of rule against this, these proper prayers of the Mass wouldn't be used, in the EF and the OF.
  • For the sake of clarity, the following statement contains another error that has lots of implications:

The propers are cantillations of scriptural texts, no more.

Scriptural texts are mostly used for the proper prayers of the Mass. They are not, however, exclusively used.
  • kenstb
    Wow! You folks stay up late when you want to make a point.
  • CharlesW
    Has anyone pointed out that the true role of the cantor is to annoy the music director? It seems to work that way at times. LOL.
  • kenstb
    If we give our colleagues a fair hearing, and if they are willing to hear us, there shouldn't be too much annoyance. While any two people can disagree, if we're working toward the same goal (which should be spelled out by the pastor) we should be able to find common ground.
  • CharlesW
    If we give our colleagues a fair hearing, and if they are willing to hear us, there shouldn't be too much annoyance. While any two people can disagree, if we're working toward the same goal (which should be spelled out by the pastor) we should be able to find common ground.

Wish I worked in that perfect world. ;-)
  • kenstb
    Me too, but we have to keep trying, Charles.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • CharlesW
    kenstb, keeping a sense of humor is crucial to your sanity when working in church music. You just have to laugh at many things.
  • kenstb
    I'm glad you mentioned that. I have had to laugh at myself from time to time as well. Good point.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • francis
    At some point we have to stop laughing (as I have done for years and also many of you out loud), and draw the line. Just saying...
  • if we're working toward the same goal

The goal is to have the congregation sing. It's been 50 years and it has not happened. Something new needs to be done at this point.
  • kenstb
    Heitor, I have to reluctantly disagree with you. The goal is to use music (if we are able) to help the congregation to more fully worship the one true God. If their experience is more authentic with more singing then great. Sometimes we overlook the power of silence in reinforcing the awe with which we should approach the Eucharist, the Altar and the Mass.
    Thanked by 3Ben tomjaw dad29
  • Sometimes we overlook the power of silence

No, I agree with you here. I prefer silence over a loud arm waving cantor and a defiantly silent congregation. We need to go back to silent masses and focus resources on choral masses, which are attended with people more sympathetic to singing.
    The problem is that your experiences are far from universal and have not been mine.

I'm sorry that you work in parishes and in situations where the congregation clearly doesn't want to sing.

At my parish, if I play a hymn that they know, and I engage in good hymn playing, the whole church will fill with robust singing.

This was also the case at my previous parish 1,000 miles from here.
  • kenstb
    Some congregations are just not accustomed to singing. When I came to my current post 20 years ago, the PIP's never sang. Now they sing very well. Sometimes if we persist in producing good music, the congregation responds positively.
    Thanked by 1francis
  • gregpgregp
    PGA, I have travelled to many states (all but AK, HI, and VT), and in every place I went to Mass, it was the same story - lots of electronically amplified sound produced by the musicians; virtually no response by the PIPs. I say 'virtually', and acknowledge that there are exceptions, but I have NEVER heard a congregation engage in what I would describe as 'robust' singing. Never.

I always propose this as a test: take away all accompaniment, and see what the PIPs do. Chances are, not much. Heitor is right; we've spent 50 years pouring all our resources into this, and achieved barely measurable results. Law of diminishing marginal returns, anyone?
    Thanked by 1HeitorCaballero
  • francis
    gregp

I think that churches that have 'electronically amplified sound' refers to the sacropop style. You are correct. NO ONE sings that stuff in the congregation. However, if you play traditional four part homophonic hymns on the organ, we tend to get great singing results from the pips. I think that is what the others are referring to.
  • ClergetKubiszClergetKubisz
    That's been my experience.
  • I hear the most singing during responses, Our Father, and top 40 old school hymns. Every place I've been. Agreed about sacro-pop. It doesn't get sung by and large.

Coincidentally the hymns the congregation belts are often the ones we musicians find tiring. At my current post as DoM, we've been singing Credo III every Sunday for five and a half years. Not my call. I've had to really push myself beyond my own personal boredom and simply pray, appreciating that most of the pips are more and more comfortable and owning more of their parts of the sacred liturgy. The choir is also bored with it, and it's helped remind us that we are servants of the sacred liturgy.
  • francis
    MCW

Do you sing Credo a cappella? You could vary it with accomps if you have the mind for that sort of thing.