Moving beyond the Simple English Propers
  • chonakchonak
    Well, melo, I don't think it's news to anyone here that the name "Gregorian" is honorific and not fully historical. What next: will someone surprise us with the information that French fries aren't French?
  • CharlesW
    will someone surprise us with the information that French fries aren't French?

They are not? GAAAAAK!!!! ;-) Heresy!
  • > French fries aren't French

Whaaaat?!! My whole world is collapsing!
  • It's moments like this I'm glad I'm a non-ethnocentric omnivore. :)
  • Well, 'Gregorian chant' is, at best, an honourary signifer for a category of chant which is quite minimally, if at all, 'Gregorian'. Of course, most of us here are aware of that. So, 'Gregorian chant', like 'English Gregorian chant', doesn't really exist. We do have Latin chant of Romano-Carolingian provenance, and we have English chant which might either be newly composed or be set to the ancient melodies. With regard to the latter, putting the old melodies to English is hardly breaking new ground: it's been previously ploughed with Chinese, Algonquin, and who knows what other languages. The notion that melodies conceived in unison with the Latin tongue cannot be artfully delivered in the English tongue is amusing to those who know better. In addition to Palmer-Burgess and Bruce Ford's American Gradual, we have more recent examples by none other than Fr Columba, all of which are sung beautifully by those who sing them with artful musicianship and INTEND for them to be beautiful.
    Thanked by 1Chris_McAvoy
  • ryandryand
    Freedom fries. This is America.
    259 x 194 - 18K
  • Kathy
    Um, in what sense does Gregorian chant not exist?
  • Been there, done that with all of the more and less beautiful Eng adaptations above. Gregorian propers are still the best.
    Why wouldn't they be? They were composed and refined over centuries, not composed in a short amount of time to fill a gap.

People are displaying emotional attachment to adaptations of Gregorian chant, even taking offense at imagined put-downs of colleague composers. Interesting.

What I'm getting from some commenters...

English chant is just as good to me, and I like singing English because its my language, and hey lots of people speak English so that means it could be just as authentic and just as much a part of Catholic tradition. Besides, I can't do Gregorian chant at my parish, in my situation. So anyone calling to mind the Church's standard of the GR has to be a purist, a meanie insulting me, or some such annoying person that reminds me that I'm not doing x. They get to do Gregorian chant and I don't- unfair! Anyway, don't they know how hard I work?

All of this is a distraction from realizing sung liturgy in the fullness the Church has asked. Calling to mind a beautiful ideal is distorted and starts to become a threat to ego. It doesn't have to be this way.
  • Kathy
    I think one of the ways this discussion got out of hand is that perhaps not everyone knows that "ship of fools" is a mystery shopper website for worshippers.

Another way it got out of hand is probably that we're all in a holiday mood of preparing for Midnight Mass choir extravaganzas.

Another way it may have gotten out of hand is that people may not realize that Adam Bartlett has done a lot of composing since SEP, including works that matthewj, for one, is actively promoting here.

But, the other point, which should be taken seriously, is that every "bridge" to the Gregorian propers is meant to fall away in the end--eventually, at long last, when we've made the transition, however long that prudently takes, probably decades, with pastoral sensitivity--and we sing the authentic Gregorian chant.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Thank you, Kathy. Your maternal instincts and liturgical/theological training are once again combining to bring charity and clarity to the situation. Bless you. Sending hugs of gratitude to Rome.

I still don't get the ship of fools reference. Ok, I didn't even know it was a reference. I'll look into that. When I'm farther away from my wallet. :)

• Kathy
    Lol. No, they don't take credit cards. Somebody goes to a church and writes about the experience here http://ship-of-fools.com/mystery/

P.S. You are very sweet. Thank you so much for your prayers last week, MaryAnn!
  • Ooooooh, that kind of mystery shopper. Thanks- clearly I needed it spelled out for me.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    We have a very active Mystery Worshipper critic here in Phoenix who regularly attends and posts reviews of Catholic Masses (as well as services of other denominations).

Recently one musician from the Diocese of Phoenix called her out after she posted a review of a Confirmation Mass.

Her review:
    http://ship-of-fools.com/mystery/2013/2553.html

His response:
    http://ship-of-fools.com/mystery/comments/2553.html

I won't comment on anything, but it is interesting to see. I wonder how many other churches have replied to these reviews/critiques.
    Thanked by 1Chris_McAvoy
  • Kathy
    Well, you've had the main thing right all along. Gregorian chant! Sez the Second Vatican Council.
  • CharlesW
    But, the other point, which should be taken seriously, is that every "bridge" to the Gregorian propers is meant to fall away in the end--eventually, at long last, when we've made the transition, however long that prudently takes, probably decades, with pastoral sensitivity--and we sing the authentic Gregorian chant.

If it comforts you to believe that, I wish you peace and joy. I am afraid that the church visited by the mystery worshipper is more the norm. Yes, there will be the places that adopt "Gregorian" chant (and mine is one of them) but most will probably not. There is now a cultural divide between what once was, and what is and will likely be in Catholicism, and Vatican II is a footnote in history. I don't see Latin ever again being adopted as the worship language in most U.S. churches. As I said, there will be places, but they will not represent the majority. Those aren't bridges, they are replacements.
  • Gregorian chant! Sez the Second Vatican Council.

Can we get that on a Colloquium T-shirt?
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Well, melo, I don't think it's news to anyone here that the name "Gregorian" is honorific and not fully historical

Richard, cheap shot. There were posts that used the "Gregorian" assignation to qualifiably define chant in Latin. Lord knows I've tried to be reasonable and light-hearted, I don't need rotten vegetables lobbed from the bleachers.
  • chonakchonak
    Well, I don't claim to understand that, but let's not waste space on the thread about it.
  • English chant of any provenance is not a bridge. It is beautiful, and is supremely appropriate for English masses (which are here to stay as the norm). I have loved Latin all my Anglo-Catholic life and joyfully sung it because of its inherent and particular (but not singular) beauty. This is a self-evident beauty, counciliar and papal dicta being not so much as thought of as reasons for chant in Latin or any other language; but, the more such legalism and codification is tossed in the ring, the less I like it. It commends itself to all sensitive souls without any awareness of legislation to enforce it. And, I repeat that chant in vernaculars is not a bridge behind one to be burned when reaching the promised land of Latin: it is sui generis on a par with our historic Latin repertory.
  • SalieriSalieri
    The typical menu for my Sunday 'High Mass' includes a 'choral' Introit, either Willan or Rice; the Resp. Ps. of my own arrangement or from PBPs., or the Gradual from Arbogast, Plainchant Gradual or Grad. Rom.; the Alleluia from either the Liber Brevior, or Plainchant Gradual (occasionally with the full verse, but most often on a psalm-tone) or Tract on a Psalm-tone; the Offertory from either SEP or LCM/G; and the Communion from SEP, LCM/G or Grad. Rom. Very, very rarely, the Introit, Offertory or Communion is sung (in English) a la Rossini. The daily Mass is not much different.

I have used all of these, and continue to, and you will notice the preponderance of Vernacular plainchant. The Clergy, Quire, and Folk are not yet ready for the OF in LATIN - EF in LATIN they can handle - but their mindset is that the OF is NOT Latin with some Vernacular, its Vernacular with some Latin: this is the mindset that must be combatted if we want Sac. Conc. to be properly understood. We will have no hope at all in restoring the Graduale Romanum (or even promoting the Graduale Simplex) until people understand that the true native tongue of the OF is LATIN not the VERNACULAR.

As regards the various English adaptations of plainchant. They are just that, adaptations. And adaptations, no matter how serviceable they may be, are simply adaptations. They are not, to my mind, on a par with the Latin original, any more than an English adaptation of Palestrina's 'Sicut cervus' is on par with the original (or even English adaptations of Bach chorales, for that matter). It should also be noted that the principal collection of the FULL propers in English (Palmer-Burgess Plainchant Gradual, etc.) were NOT intended for use in the Latin Rite OF, a rite that claims Latin as its native tongue, they were intended for use with the BCP which claims English as its native tongue - they were not intended as a means to an end (as SEP is) but as an end in and of themselves.
  • CharlesW
    ...counciliar and papal dicta being not so much as thought of as reasons for chant in Latin or any other language; but, the more such legalism and codification is tossed in the ring, the less I like it.

I agree English chant is not a bridge, it is here to stay in English masses. However, papal dicta will not be followed as it was in earlier times. The popes of the mid to late 20th century essentially squandered what authority they had while trying to be everyone's jovial pastor. Popes are not taken so seriously in matters of music. In most parishes, priests and musicians nod and smile, then do exactly as they please.
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • I think people nodding and smiling and doing whatever they please is a constant. St. Pius X would never have written his 1903 encyclical if people were not already smiling and nodding and doing as they please.

Human weakness and disobedience doesn't negate the standard.
    Thanked by 1Chris Allen

• We will have no hope at all in restoring the Graduale Romanum (or even promoting the Graduale Simplex) until people understand that the true native tongue of the OF is LATIN not the VERNACULAR.

Important point.
  • CharlesW
    I wonder if there really is a "standard" today, in any legal sense. That standard became just an example when authority for liturgy was turned over to the conferences of bishops. Now, it is one possibility out of many - too many, I think.
  • The chants of the Gradual are the standard for the Roman Rite. We see this from the standpoint of legislation, in the GIRM. We also know this from the point of tradition.

I can see why both would be an issue to Anglican Use and Byzantine Catholics, as it does not apply to them. But it does apply to the wider Church, despite lots of people not knowing about it or otherwise ignoring it.

• CharlesW
    The GIRM has enough exceptions to drive a large truck through. LOL. I believe you could read much of what you want into it. That certainly doesn't help matters any. Even the "Roman" Canon is not standard for the Roman Rite these days. My parish is about the only one in town that still uses it. We are not in Kansas anymore, I'm afraid. That wider Roman Church can be a little scary.

added note: A visiting priest recently wondered about congregational confusion when using Eucharistic Prayer IV. I told him we were used to EP I, only. He said disapprovingly, that was too bad since that was the most confusing theologically of the prayers. You know, I never found that prayer theologically confusing.
  • kevinfkevinf
    Having read this thread with interest ( I was once a "mystery worshipper" for the ship of fools website), I suppose the things that come to mind are 1) moving away from the 4 hymn sandwich model to a proper model of any language is moving closer to the ideal. This movement, even minuscule (the use of English as a bridge,etc) should not be dismissed as small. 20 years ago, propers were not even being discussed ANYWHERE to my knowledge,except in small circles of Latin Mass musicians and chant aficionados. Yes, the Graduale is the where we need to go, but as an old person here, the proliferation of English language resources is proof that we are moving in the right direction. 2) Bridges are what they are: bridges. But many must cross them to move even further down the road. My choirs and clergy were clueless ( I mean CLUELESS) as to their existence and usage when I came to the bourbon lands. Its going to take time. Some will move further than others. 3) These "bridge" resources have beauty in them that will teach. My experience is that many of the Catholic cloth are just as clueless about beauty.

Argue away about when you will get to the ideal. For my place, it will take 20 years, if that short. That is okay. Its not about the destination solely. Its about the journey. Its about teaching,fellowship and being present and trust. I know the destination. But there is a sign of a quote from Dr. Marht that rings so true," We are cathedral builders......." You know the rest. In the meantime We will sing the simple choral gradual, the SEP, the propers of Frank LaRocca and Richard Clark, the gradual chants that we can manage, Durufle, Poulenc and Langlais and anything else I can get my hands on that will lead my community into the presence of God. Bonne fete l'Avent.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    papal dicta will not be followed as it was in earlier times

Papal dicta will not be followed. This is exactly the same as it was in earlier times.

Fixed.
    Thanked by 1ryand
  • CharlesW
    No, I believe when Pius X dictated music practice, it was followed. Now, even some of the clergy would undermine such decrees. It's worse, it seems.
  • If you can manage the SEP and/or BFW, the Graduale Simplex isn't a big leap.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • chonakchonak
    I believe when Pius X dictated music practice, it was followed

I'm not sure about that. The St. Basil Hymnal lived on for years; did it follow Pius X's wishes?

And were the mixed adult choirs stamped out? Stopped from singing propers? Prevented from mingling? I wasn't around then, but old-timers who remember the 1950s haven't described such restrictions to me.
  • ryandryand
    I wasn't alive in 1903 and so cannot say whether folks followed the papal dicta. However, I think that later writings demonstrate that there's never been much "good-soldier" obedience to decrees about sacred music, even back in the good ol' days of poorly celebrated EF.

Pius X wrote his schpeal because there was a noticeable amount of wrongness in liturgical music at the time.

Pius XII added his thoughts because people STILL WEREN'T GETTING IT.

VII made some clear statements (why would they need to, if folks were listening to previous dicta?). The musicians still didn't get on board. Reform? Free-for-all!

Paul VI gave us some clear direction and a minimum repertoire. IGNORED.

JPII reinforced everyone prior. IGNORED.

Benedict XVI says, Hey guys, seriously, this is not right. Lets do it they way WE SHOULD HAVE BEEN DOING IT ALL ALONG AND HERE'S WHY. Ignored, and written off as a crazy old fundie.

The pattern of events / papcies / dicta seem to indicate that nobody was ever really paying attention to them, including (and especially!) Pius X. If our ancestors did what Pius X asked, I doubt the rest of these would have been necessary. It's not like things were going swell and VII opened the floodgates of rebellion. It just gave the deaf ears of individualist broadway wannabes a little more room to liturgically dance around.

If the decrees were followed in 1903, why would the church still be trying clarify to its musicians exactly what they should be doing?
  • chonakchonak
    I'm not sure that "standard" is the best word: at least not to imply that other music falls short of a measure. To use a modern word, Gregorian chant is the "default" music of the Roman rite. That is, the books of Latin chant repertoire (Graduale Romanum, Graduale Simplex) are the only music specifically named in the GIRM and the Ordo Cantus Missae.

And we've been reminded many times on this forum and elsewhere that the Church has presented the classic chant repertoire as the archetypal music of the Roman Rite, and a model to inspire other music. This is not a teaching that should arouse defensiveness from supporters of other artistic music which is so inspired.

If there is a music which the Church regards as transitional, the Graduale Simplex is the foremost example: a Gebrauchsmusik collection created for "smaller churches" not ready for the full repertoire. And even though it is intended as a means to a developmental end, it doesn't come with an expiration date.

We may as well regard the SEP in the same way: as a step toward a fuller use of the chant tradition. It would be fitting to expect that churches using SEP aspire to the Graduale or to other chant adaptations which are more advanced than the SEP. But we all know that musical development in choirs and congregations takes time, and we needn't be surprised if a parish stays with that phase for some years.

Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • CharlesW
    I wish I could be as optimistic as some of you folks regarding the future. I am fortunate to be in one of those parishes where chant and traditional music are valued. No one else in town is like us, however. The "progressive" parishes have gone their own way and want nothing to do with us more traditional folks. We are frozen out of diocesan activities and have no input into diocesan music plans or practices. My predictions for the future are more along the lines of two separate churches with differing liturgies and music. I don't see any coming together, but more divergence - would love to be proven wrong on this one, but don't think it will happen. Only associating with and talking to like-minded individuals can really distort your perceptions as to the state of things, current or future.
  • Progressive churches dont last. They take a long time to go away but the don't last beyond a couple of generations.
  • Baby boomers and the "coffee house, hippie" generation are not open to change. Period. Start with the children and we have somewhere to go. Baby boomer priests are beginning to retire out in place of younger priests who are moving towards tradition. There is hope.
    Thanked by 2kevinf CharlesW
  • CharlesW
    I don't disagree with you. The more traditional community is insulated and a bit inbred. It doesn't seem to be aware of what is happening out in the world away from its gated communities. SEP and other English chant collections are good stuff to me. I use them, without apology.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Apparently those of you who are railing against the use of the SEP

I didn't know anyone was doing that.

Maybe I skimmed too much, but the bulk of this thread seems like MJM pointing out that SEP is best thought of as transitional (and that there are better thing IN ENGLISH, BY THE SAME COMPOSER) followed by a lot of people defending something that wasn't being attacked.

And by the way, I get the sense from BARTLETT that he thinks of the SEP as transitional in almost every sense. I seem to recall him saying something like the Lumen Christi Propers are what the SEP should have been.
    Thanked by 1Kathy
  • donr
    Wow David, that was a mouth full to say the least.
    You are correct in a lot of what you say. So maybe what you are saying is that MJM should have said... If you have started out using the SEP and your congregation knows them maybe its time to upgrade to something else.

I came on board to this forum as the LCM was just being written, the SEP was already out there. My choir nor myself knew what Sacred Music was. A Proper to me was what side of the plate my salad fork was supposed to be on. I bought the Parish Book of Chant, SEP and the SCG. I down loaded Fr. Weber's Propers and sang them by myself during communion for a couple of months. Then the LCM came out and I went right to those Propers. I have been doing the Communion and Offertory from this fine work ever since.

My point is that I have used the SEP a few times but I have found the LCM to be a better choice. Especially because my Pastor wants the PIPs to sing along but does like music aids. Most of the time the words are the same translation as in the OCP missal so at least they know what it is we are singing.

I get MJM's point, however MJM and the rest need to understand that the SEP still does have a use. Raynd is putting together accompaniment to this work and it will be used in many churches even by mine.

Lets use all of it. Not one over the other. However we should all strive to give the Lord what he deserves "The Best" not just our best but "The Best".
    Of course we can not provide the best because we are fallen but I for one will do what I can to get there some day.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    MJM and the rest need to understand that the SEP still does have a use.

Yes. Clearly he does not understand that...

They are a wonderful product that can be used as a beginning point for beginner directors and beginner choirs singing chant at Holy Mass.

I did use the Simple English Propers... when needed

The Simple English Propers were a great place to start.

We need to realize that the SEP can be a tool that is useful in some cases
    Thanked by 2donr Kathy
  • SEP does not have to be transitional. In some parishes, it may never be replaced by the true propers. In my parish, hearing the SEP and having the choir participate is a major step forward. And it may never move from there. As a DM in a difficult parish, I am very grateful for the SEP and the good it's done in moving people forward to true Catholic worship.
    Thanked by 1Jani
  • CharlesW
    An area music leader told me that she considers the GR too difficult for her choir to ever sing. I know some have presented it as "standard," but I wouldn't invest the time in it for my choir to sing from it every week. We have other things to do.
  • donr
    Charles, I used to feel the same way, but just like the SEP or reading square notes it seems harder than it is. The more I familiarized myself with chant the easier it became. When you first look at it, it looks like a ton dot on a pieces of paper and very unfamiliar. However when you break it down, learn simpler tones first, then move on to tougher ones it gets easier and easier.
    I liken it to the everything closet in your house. You know the one that is so cluttered that you never feel like you ever clean it. But all it takes is remove one item at a time. Eventually it will completely cleaned and organized. It takes time and patience but the end result is gratifying.
  • CharlesW
    I know how to do it, and have the academic degrees to back that knowledge up. I am in a parish that offers a TLM on Sunday afternoon for those interested, but only wants English NO masses Sunday mornings. The bulk of my work is in those 4 English masses. I read square notes, but the choir and cantors revolt when given them. Life is too short... I have more significant battles to fight than whether or not to use the GR. Most of my efforts have been toward singing traditional hymns - after cutting down the number of hymns to begin with - and singing anthems and the English Propers I have been able to introduce.
  • donr
    I get it, thanks for the explanation. I think we all need to give it more time. Maybe it is not you who will accomplish the GR in your parish but one of the kids who hears it and think its fitting and proper. That person may not even be a member of your parish yet. He/She might take the hard work you have done and move it forward when they are old enough to do it. We all die even those who oppose chant. My music instructor once told me that the way we live forever is to pass along what we know. As the next generation comes up they will in turn pass that information along and hopefully build upon it.
  • donr
    One more thought on your post Charles, is that my choir and pastor do not like nor read square notes either. We are not currently singing the GR. I do however take the square notes and convert them to stemless round notes. They are singing and liking Conditor Alme Siderum, Alma Redemptoris Mater, and others. After they are really comfortable with about 20 different chants in round notes I will re-introduce them to the world of square notes and I'll bet they will start to see how it all fits together and that it is actually quite simple.
    I'll let you know how it all works out (next year, hopefully).
  • CharlesW
    True, and the next generation may accomplish all that. But I will tell you that one of my teachers told me the best way to get even with everyone is to outlive them. LOL.

We use Latin Ordinaries during Lent and Advent, then revert to the ICEL chant mass for the remainder of the year. My parish is not comfortable with more Latin than that, except for the occasional choir piece. For now, we are happy being Roman in name, and traditional Anglican in practice.