Christmas Proclamation 2013
  • chonakchonak
    A member has written in to ask where to find the Christmas Proclamation notated, so here are some links to versions posted in previous years:

Here is Aldrich's Latin version:
    http://forum.musicasacra.com/forum/uploads/FileUpload/bd/ba61ed777915036cde9bf56cf04cba.pdf

Here is radagasty's English version:
    http://forum.musicasacra.com/forum/uploads/FileUpload/fa/fdfb372cfc2c4697833ee507669a6d.pdf
    (Note: this uses a traditional text, not the current approved version found in the Roman Missal, Appendix I; therefore, it may not be lawful for use in the U.S.)

If anyone has a notated edition of the current Roman Missal text, I'm sure that would be useful.
    Thanked by 1marymezzo
  • What is the correct luna number for 2013?
  • Here is a setting of the current Missal text, as created by St. Meinrad Archabbey. Like their setting of the Exsultet, I greatly prefer this to the Missal chant.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    The Aristotle Esguerra one is by far the best. I'll post it when I get to work today if nobody else has by then.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hupYRF9wv08
    Thanked by 2Ben Chris Allen
  • BenBen
    I agree. Aristotle's is the best.
  • We will be doing the Nativity Proclamation for the EF Midnight Mass, and are preparing the booklets. Could someone, please, help me with the lunar date (in Latin) for 2013? Last year it was "Luna undecima." Is it "Luna duodecima" this year? I've tried to research it, but I am horribly useless in all things science-related.

Question #2: Does the Proclamation always begin with "Octavo Kalendas Januarii?"
    Thanked by 1MarkThompson
  • We will be doing the Nativity Proclamation for the EF Midnight Mass, and are preparing the booklets. Could someone, please, help me with the lunar date (in Latin) for 2013? Last year it was "Luna undecima." Is it "Luna duodecima" this year? I've tried to research it, but I am horribly useless in all things science-related.

This year is "luna vicesima secunda." It has to do with the phase of the moon, so it does not just increment by one from year to year.

Question #2: Does the Proclamation always begin with "Octavo Kalendas Januarii?"

Yes, because December 25 is always 8 days before the first day (kalends) of January.
    Thanked by 1expeditus1
  • Thank you, Mark, for your assistance. I just knew that there had to be somebody smarter than me on this forum!
  • How should the Nativity proclamation begin *this* year--in other words, what is the lunar date for 2021?
  • And to back up a step or two, is the Christmas Proclamation a liturgical REQUIREMENT prior to midnight mass?
    Can it be ‘read’ or even omitted?
    Thank you!
  • Cantus
    The number in the term Luna N. represents the number of days that have elapsed since the first lunar phase or the new moon.

In the Martyrologium Romanum, from which this text of the Christmas Proclamation also originates, we can find a table for each day of the year, which shows how many days there are left until the new moon (Dies Lunae), and above each number is a letter (Littera Martyrologii) that is different each year. This letter is published in the Ordo Missae Celebrandae et Divini Officii Persolvendi every year, and can be calculated using the epact.

Year - Littera Martyrologii - Dies Lunae
    2021 - r - 21 (Luna vicesima prima.)
    2022 - H - 2 (Luna secunda.)
    2023 - h - 13 (Luna decima tertia.)
    2024 - u - 24 (Luna vicesima quarta.)
    2025 - P - 5 (Luna quinta.)
    2026 - l - 16 (Luna decima sexta.)
    2027 - C - 27 (Luna vicesima septima.)
    2028 - c - 8 (Luna octava.)
    2029 - p - 19 (Luna undevicesima.)
    611 x 177 - 64K
    Thanked by 2JonLaird marymezzo