Solemn Proclamation of the Birth of Christ
  • This may be a bit early in the year to discuss this but, our former pastor used to chant the Proclamation of the Birth of Christ, in English, before the Midnight EF Mass of the Nativity of the Lord. This was absolutely thrilling to me to hear. Our new pastor won't even touch it. Since I love this Proclamation, I am curious as to the history behind it. Does anyone know?
    Also, is it chanted at any of your parishes on Christmass? Should it be chanted before Mass, or is there any provision which allows it to be chanted sometime during the Mass? Can it be done at an OF Mass, at an EF Mass, or both? Can it be chanted at the Vigil Mass of the Nativity, the Midnight Mass of the Nativity, or both? Does it have to be chanted by the
    celebrant, or can it be chanted by the deacon, or just by a cantor? Is it to be proclaimed from the ambo, or can it be proclaimed from the choir loft? I have a copy here by Aristotle Esguerra set to the traditional Latin tone, and another version by Fr. Samuel Weber set to Tones I and II. I would love to hear this solemnly proclaimed in all the Churches.
    Perhaps if other Churches use it, and it has a venerable history, our pastor would take another look at it.
  • donr
    OF Church...I sang the proclamation just prior to the start of Mass for MidNight Mass last year from the Loft.
    I was asked to do it by the priest because he was uncomfortable doing the new English setting. I did it from the loft because I was directing and need to start the Entrance Hymn directly after.

I don't know what the standard is maybe someone else could answer that one.
  • IIRC, the proclamation comes from the Roman Martyrology, which is why the Latin version sung in St Peter's Basilica begins with "Octavo Kalendas Ianuarii" ("The octave of the Kalends of January") and the appropriate day of the lunar month.
  • Our parish is looking to do the proclamation before Midnight Mass for the first time ever this year, but we want to do the traditional one (pre-1994) in English. So, where does one find it, the English version with all the specific years before they made it vague and politically correct? (All the links I can find to it through searches are dead-ends--it has been maddening!)
  • "We want" .... Ah, how many liturgical abuses have been born of those two simple words? Of taking the on-the-spot preferences of the community as the starting point?
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • chonakchonak
    A friend typed this up on his blog from the old Roman Martyrology book, translated in 1946 (now published by Loreto Publications). I'm not sure whether it's quite what RachelR wants, but here it is:

In the year, from the creation of the world, when in the beginning God created Heaven and Earth, five thousand one hundred and ninety-nine;

from the flood, two thousand nine hundred and fifty-seven;

from the birth of Abraham, two thousand and fifteen;

from Moses and the coming of the Israelites out of Egypt, one thousand, five hundred and ten;

from the anointing of King David, one thousand and thirty-two;

in the sixty-fifth week, according to the prophecy of Daniel;

in the one hundred and ninety-fourth Olympiad;

in the year seven hundred and fifty-two from the founding of the city of Rome;

in the forty-second year of the empire of Octavian Augustus,

when the whole earth was at peace,

in the sixth age of the world,

Jesus Christ, eternal God, and Son of the eternal Father,

desirous to sanctify the world by His most merciful coming,

having been conceived of the Holy Ghost,

and nine months having elapsed since His conception,

is born in Bethlehem of Juda, having become man of the Virgin Mary.

THE NATIVITY OF OUR LORD JESUS CHRIST, ACCORDING TO THE FLESH

Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • The Kalends is now found in the newly translated Roman Missal in Appendix I. Here are the included rubrics:

"The announcement of the Solemnity of the Nativity of the Lord from the Roman Martyrology draws upon Sacred Scripture to declare in a formal way the birth of Christ. It begins with creation and relates the birth of the Lord to the major events and personages of sacred and secular history. The particular events contained in the announcement help pastorally to situate the birth of Jesus in the context of salvation history.
    This text, The Nativity of our Lord Jesus Christ, may be chanted or recited, most appropriately on December 24, during the celebration of the Liturgy of the hours. It may also be chanted or recited before the beginning of Christmas Mass during the Night. It may not replace any part of the Mass."

So...with this in mind, it appears that it would be best sung during the Office. But could be sung right before the Missa in Nocte...or what we commonly call "Midnight Mass".
  • (Belated thanks to chonak for the answer to my question! I had a similar text that I ended up using, as you will see.)

*Because I have received so much from this forum, I know it is time to try to give back a little. Attached is the GABC document that I created to print off what our schola needed, with both the tone and the words. I am brand new at this stuff, so if you spot any errors, please let me know!
  • Last year, our fellow musician, "aldrich," had posted a very attractive Kalendas 2011 with chant notation, Latin text, and Engish translation, but I can no longer find it. Does anyone have something similar for 2012, with the appropriate day of the lunar month?
  • We do it as the last thing before the Introit, with a male and a female cantor alternating and then singing together at the end. (That's a practicality choice: I trust myself and the bass to not have any nerves and not mess up, but it is lovely.)
    Thanked by 1tomboysuze
  • BenBen
    Looks like the attachment disappeared. Maybe aldrich has it locally on his computer and can repost it? Here's the thread where it seemed it was:

http://forum.musicasacra.com/forum/discussion/6042/kalendas-2011/p1
  • aldrich
    I'm at a loss of words. Why did my attachment disappear? I will post a new one as soon as I get the file from my PC.
  • aldrich
    The new copy is in this thread:

http://forum.musicasacra.com/forum/discussion/7871/solemn-proclamation-of-the-birth-of-christ-updated

You can ask chonak for the correct lunar month. I haven't gotten into checking what golden number and epact we are now. I included the table of Martyrology numbers, though, for reference.
  • TCJ
    Two years ago, I was asked to chant that prior to Mass. Considering it was nearly a last minute request by the Liturgy Coordinator (I know, really should be the pastor doing that stuff...) I think I did alright.
  • aldrich, thank you for posting this again! The layout is very aesthetically-pleasing to the eye.

Is there a forum reader out there who could give us the correct lunar month?
  • chonakchonak
    Yes, aldrich, anybody can ask me about the lunar month, but they will get nothing from me about it! Well, I can say it's not the month of Brumaire, but that's about all I know on the subject.
  • aldrich
    I made a quick check in the table for Martyrology letters, and 2012 is f. That means that we will have the eleventh lunar month: "Luna undecima."
    Thanked by 1expeditus1
  • I did it every year before Midnight Mass at Historic St. John the Evangelist, in MD. I had a very good tenor (with a very big ego) who wanted to sing it before all the Christmas Masses. He was crushed when I told him it could ONLY be done before Midnight Mass. This year the Deacon has dropped "hintus maximus" that he should do it....so I was only too glad to ask him. Happily, he has a powerful "basso profundo" which should work well. Thanks for the copy aldrich.
  • I couldn't find a setting of the traditional English text of the Christmas Proclamation in the solemn tone, so I did one myself. It's probably a little late now, but, here it is if anyone is interested. As the Martyrology is a liturgical book, I suppose the use of this text would be illicit where an official translation has been promulgated, e.g., in the USA, but, to my knowledge, no official translation has been imposed in dioceses elsewhere.
    Thanked by 1canadash