Christ the King
  • bkenney27bkenney27
    What are you planning for Christ the King (OF) this year? I have already started prepping my choir on a few polyphonic motets (their first experience with polyphony) but am interested to hear what others are doing for motets/anthems and hymns! Christ the King is one of my favorite solemnities and every year I feel like I don't do it justice!
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    Herr, du bist würdig (Ein deutsches Requiem). Some years Worthy is the Lamb (Messiah) instead.
  • The Head that once was crowned with thorns (ST ALBINUS) would be a wonderful processional hymn (or Dismissal), especially if sung with Anglican gravitas and descants and smart organ playing!

There is (If I remember correctly) a Healey Willan motet (SSATB) called 'O King of Glory', sometimes used at Ascension, but it would be glorious for XP the King. It's one of his more serious contrapuntal contributions, a marvelous ceremonial piece for the offertory.

Another superb hymn for entrance or dismissal would be 'Lord, enthroned in heav'nly splendor' (BRYN CALFARIA)

There is enough here (plus English or Latin propers) to put the solemnity in this solemnity

P.S. - I hope no one sings that old dog, 'crown him with many crowns'.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • jpal
    P.S. - I hope no one sings that old dog, 'crown him with many crowns'.

What's wrong with that hymn?
  • CharlesW
    "That old dog," still has plenty of life in it. It will outlive us all.
  • "Worthy Is the Lamb"
    Bairstow's arr. of "The King of Love My Shepherd Is"
    And what's this feast without "To Jesus Christ, Our Sovereign King"!?
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • This year we're tackling Vaughan Williams' Antiphon, and since the Gospel is about Christ reigning from the cross, I'm tempted to do a setting of the Vexilla regis.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen tomboysuze
  • melofluentmelofluent
    MJO, needless and inflammatory PS.
    "O day of peace" (JERUSALEM) and if anyone gets all high and mighty aroun' these here parts, I might just pull out the Shaw/Parker "Ride on, King Jesus." ;-)
  • MJO, needless and inflammatory PS.

It appears spell check got you there when you typed BS. But nosh on a little Russian Gravitas on toast or with a hardboiled egg, you'll get over it.

African American Spirituals excel but we've got pseudo folk music instead. Spirituals are "I" music...but with honest class.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUMbqanhveE
    Thanked by 1tomboysuze
  • I find nothing wrong with "Crown Him With Many Crowns" or "To Jesus Christ Our Soverign King" -- especially since there are few times during the liturgical year that these 2 hymns are appropriate. Also, "At the Name of Jesus" (KING'S WESTON) would be a fine processional hymn.

Other possibilities for choral music:
    "Christus Vincit" (chanted by choir) Also, see T. Marier hymnal #129 (Christ Lord of Glory). (chant)

Other works for SATB voices:

"The God of Glory Thundereth" (Ps. 27, 117) -- Alan Hovhannes (C.F. Peters)
    "Laudate Nomen Domini" -- C. Tye (Arista Music Co.)
    "In Nomine Jesu" (SAATB) -- Jacob Handl (Chester Music)

My favorite organ music for Christ the King:
    Prelude: "Entree" ("Medievale Suite") - J. Langlais
    Postlude: "Acclamations on Christus Vincit" - (Suite Medievale) -- J. Langlais

Pierre DuMage
    Prelude: "Plein Jeu"
    Postlude: "Grande Jeu"

Hope this was helpful to some.
    Thanked by 1Gaudium
  • We might be doing Phillip Stopford's "O God the King of Glory" probably "Hail Redeemer, King Divine" (we use a different tune in Australia).
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    "Christus Vincit" (chanted by choir)

I was going to suggest that.

The video of Fr. Christopher Smith leading this under the direction of Scott Turkington at the winter chant intensive a few years ago was revelation to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCq8zMd69us

I'm not exaggerating. This video made a huge impact on me and my perception of chant.

When CMAA came to Houston three years ago Scott was good enough to engage the men's class in an impromptu performance of it, with him and I singing the solos together. It was THRILLING!
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Frogman, Jackson posited his disdain for CHWMC with a post-script, ergo PS.
    Regarding your second salient point, I must admit that my programming of spirituals has waned since hitching my wagon to CMAA. It would be interesting to poll ourselves about that great body of literature (made even more compelling by the likes of the late Hogan, Andre Thomas and many others) and where it fits in the schema between inculturation and native RC forms, both endorsed by conciliar documents.
    If this digression is discussed, I ask that the issue of the ethnicity of the performers of spirituals not enter into the argument. That's irrelevant, particularly here in the US.
  • CharlesW
    As a dear, now departed, black friend and choir member once said, "There is nothing more pitiful than a bunch of old white people trying to sing spirituals." She had a point. At our parish, even the black members don't know spirituals and find them a bit foreign. They call them, "Slave songs," which is something I hadn't heard before. Needless to say, we don't do them. I also find it interesting that our choir member from Cameroon calls our American black choir members, "whites." She, of course, knows nothing about spirituals, and knows traditional church literature. Very interesting.
    Thanked by 1rich_enough
  • Here's what we have planned:

Prelude(s):
    1) To Christ our Eucharistic King (P. Jones)
    2) Christus Vincit (Ambrosian chant)

Processional: Cantate Domino (Pitoni)
    Mass in honor of St. Cecilia (l' Abbe A. Cherion)
    Offertory: Regnavit Dominus (chant alternating with 4-part)
    Communion:
    1) Panis Angelicus (C. Franck)
    2) Jesu, Rex Admirabilis
    3) Te Saeculorum Principem (chant)
    4) Vexilla Christus Inclyta (chant)
    Recessional: To Jesus Christ, Our Sovereign King (parish is attached to it)
    Organ Postlude: Christus Vincit
    Thanked by 1bkenney27
  • CharlesW
    Nice, expeditus1, very nice.
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Nice, expeditus1, very nice.

4reelz, yo.
  • bkenney27bkenney27
    2) Jesu, Rex Admirabilis

I was waiting for someone to suggest this. I have this programmed for one of the communion motets.

What are people's thoughts on All Hail the Power of Jesus' Name to CORONATION? I think I pulled that from my time in the Protestant church and used it last year. As this board is a wonderful tool for pointing out flaws in hymns that I might miss, thought I would throw that out there.

I would love to try the KING'S WESTON At the Name... but it would be brand new to the congregation, I think. Perhaps the solemnity of CTK is not the best time to introduce new settings....?
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    All Hail the Power of Jesus' Name to CORONATION? I think I pulled that from my time in the Protestant church and used it last year

I did not know this hymn until I started working for Protestants. I liked it alright when I heard it sung by Episcopalians, and then I was absolutely blown over by it when visiting a friend's Church of Christ congregation. (An experience that always leave me all like, "Can we have less bad sermon and go back to the singing now? Also, why are we on a carpeted basketball court? And what is it with Protestants and carpeting basketball courts?")

I understand old time Mainliners call it "The National Anthem of Christendom."

None of that is an opinion on its suitability to Catholic liturgy, of course. Maybe one of our resident heretic hunters will be able to provide some thoughts yay or nay.
  • ronkrisman
    Certainly all hymns which use earthly kings and queens as the source for their metaphorical language about the unique kingship of Jesus Christ are going to be deficient. But this does not make them heterodox.

One would have to say that, for Christians, even the psalms' reference to the kingship of God's anointed one is incomplete without the New Testament's revelation of Jesus Christ as a different kind of king, one whose throne is a cross, and whose royal crown is made of thorns.

So I don't think our orthodox faith requires that we get rid of the "royal diadem" hymns in honor of Christ the King, as long as we, the Church, continue to preach Christ, the crucified and risen king.
  • I love this verse:

Crown Him the Lord of years,
    the Potentate of time,
    Creator of the rolling spheres,
    ineffably sublime.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    the Lord of years, the Potentate of time

However did we get from this sort of thing to "Jesus is my homeboy"?

Thanked by 1tomboysuze
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    I always, even as a Methodist and then Anglican wannabe, understood "the royal diadem" as referring to the Crown of Thorns.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Word.
    Some of them, in or out of context, work reliably. Others, not so much. The poetry and imagery, DBP, of your beloved verse is subject to that taste factor.
  • Did not suggest spirituals be used, just was remarking on how they have succeeded in creating "I" songs and how contemporary Christian song writers since the 60's have totally failed.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • Does anyone here know Flor Peeters Intrata Festiva (I think that's the correct name.)?
  • ghmus7
    Yes, I know the Peeters. I believe you have to have a good organ and strong choir.
  • Yes, Flor Peeters’ “Entrata Festiva” is great piece. It is one of those big-sounding compositions that could work well as a Processional (a quasi-Introit, perhaps?!) in the right acoustic for the right occasion. But the piece also needs brass quartet and timpani to be most effective.

If anyone is looking for other “big” pieces for Christ the King, I have two hymn concertatos published by MorningStar that might be appropriate, especially in a large reverberant church. Both are scored for congregation, choir, organ, and optional brass quartet and percussion. PDFs of some pages of the full scores (but not all pages, as can be seen by the page numbers) can be viewed at the following links:

• Rejoice, the Lord is King (DARWALL’S 148th):
    http://www.morningstarmusic.com/viewitem.cfm/item_id/file_60-9028A-E

• To Jesus Christ, Our Sovereign King (ICH GLAUB AN GOTT)
    http://www.morningstarmusic.com/viewitem.cfm/item_id/60-8200

For the arrangement of “To Jesus Christ, Our Sovereign King,” I incorporated the “Christus Vincit” chant in various ways (in the introduction, as an interlude, in choral and brass parts.) Here it is on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HO6ODWGNxc
    (This was done at the conclusion of an Archdiocesan Music Convocation, and the applause at the end is in gratitude for the guest conductor.)
  • CharlesW
    Nice!
    Thanked by 1Fr. Jim Chepponis
  • bkenney27bkenney27
    Magnificent! I have the acoustics but, unfortunately, not the vocal forces.... (THIS year).
    Thanked by 1Fr. Jim Chepponis
  • Mark M.Mark M.
    Resuscitating an thread from last week here (and duplicating my question from another thread):

I'm curious if anyone knows of polyphonic settings of the proper texts for Christ the King, particularly the Offertory, "Postula a me" (although I did find this setting by Jeffrey Quick over on CPDL), or the Communion for Years B & C, "Sedebit Dominus Rex." We'll probably sing the Gregorian chant for the Introit, "Dignus est Agnus," although I'd be curious about polyphonic options for that text, too.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Wow! Just saw the video Adam put up of the plainchant Christus Vincit. Thanks for that; it greatly improves my perception of that piece. I don't mean any disrespect, but whenever I hear this sung, it reminds me of a Native American warchant. For the life of me, I can't help but think of braves chanting it and dancing around a fire in feather headdresses and warpaint---but maybe that's the point. Perhaps the percussive nature of it is supposed to evoke a sense of militancy?
  • Our concern that militancy and triumphalism are not in good taste (or good politics) is misplaced at best.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    100% agreed, but these concepts take a bit of getting used to for American Catholics like myself who have long been conditioned to "not rock the boat"--an attitude that American bishops from the get-go have encouraged in our pluralistic society. I had never heard of Quas Primas till I met my husband, and I was utterly shocked by the notion of the social kingship of Christ, but the older I get, the more it makes sense and the more urgent the need for it appears.

Wish someone would put up one of these in America:

• JulieColl, when we sing Christus Vincit for the Feast of Christ the King, we go "all-out militant" at our church. On the refrain, I open the organ up and use thunderous pedal, the momentum of the piece building as it continues. This is one that the choir looks forward to doing each year.
    Thanked by 1tomboysuze
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Now, Expeditus, that sounds awesome! Wish I could hear it. Is that the choral version I think it's by Montini? I love that one; it's the perfect processional/pilgrimage anthem----I just don't care very much for the plainchant version, although the video above that Adam Woods put out is better than the usual rendition.
  • Julie, it is the plainchant version. I'll send a recording to your forum inbox.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Thanks a bunch, Expeditus.
  • Phillip Stopford's "O God the King of Glory" is a great piece. Look it up on YouTube.
    Thanked by 1tomboysuze
  • canadashcanadash
    Does anyone know where I can find a copy of the chanted "Christus Vincit"? There is one in the PBC, which I can use, but is slightly different from the one above.
  • chonakchonak
    The PBC has the full chant, with its petitions for the Church, the Pope, the local bishop, and the public authorities.

The video omits some of the petitions we sang on that occasion, perhaps for reasons of time.
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • "There is nothing more pitiful than a bunch of old white people trying to sing spirituals."

More pitiful: ELCA Lutherans trying to sing an African hymn. When you can keep Lutherans from singing...
    Less pitiful but more entertaining: a Polish early-music choir I once heard sing some as encores. Nothing beats a Pole's idea of white peoples' idea of what black people sound like. "Wan de starrrz bugint to shoyn"

Mark M., thanks for the shoutout. I'd intended to do the whole Proper but got sidetracked. I'm thinking of setting Sedebit though (same scoring as Postula; have to put on the ritz for the King.) The pickings are slim; that's why I'm on this thread.
    Thanked by 1ServiamScores