NPM 2014, Saint Louis, MO (July 14–18)
  • G
    it's a theological question.

This.

But I agree, it's surprising to find such a conversation going on in this day and age-- because there are many places and situations nowadays in which expressing or upholding Catholic doctrine would be quashed as "hate speech."

Recognizing that we are all sinners, and loving each other despite that sinfulness does not require tolerating the outright celebration of sin.

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
  • PaixGioiaAmorPaixGioiaAmor
    The wrap up:

Thursday brought a plenum by Dr. Honora Werner, OP with which I was pleasantly surprised. In a nutshell, her talk was about the reception of the Second Vatican Council and the fact that we are still too close to the source to decide how the council is being interpreted. She said that the waves are just beginning to settle and that we really need another 50 to 100 years to be able to look back and figure out "where we landed" after the council.

One pervasive theme that I noticed with her as well as other speakers this year will be welcomed in this circle: A recurring theme of embracing the patrimony of the church. Throughout the week, I heard more than a few references to the fact that many have abandoned chant and the music of the ages in favor of compositions written since 1965 and that this shouldn't be happening. Some here might not understand the significance of them making this obvious statement. But as I've said before, it is nothing short of revolutionary when compared to the things I heard at my first NPM convention in 2003: rhetoric such as "There are those who want to take us backwards; we will NEVER go back, EVER."

As for the breakouts, I attended two on choral direction by Dr. John Romeri. These were EXTREMELY GOOD. If you get the chance to attend anything that Dr. Romeri is teaching, do it! Many will also be thrilled to hear that Dr. Romeri told the 100 or so people in attendance at this break out to use chant and polyphony. He did not mince words; he said "How many times do you see a choir director who pulls out the copies of Choral Praise from OCP, or the newest choral packet from GIA, and they sing some David Haas octavo? That's not choral music. There is a whole 500 years that we neglect when we do that and we have to stop that." Again, his practical advice on producing good choral sound were excellent and his handouts very helpful.

Other high points included many concerts, including the Archdiocesan Choir singing works by Vierne and Widor, directed by Dr. Horst Buchholz. They were EXQUISITE!

Overall, it was a wonderful week full of good musical and formative experiences.

There are some here who would shun NPM because of the fact that while all of what I've described above was ocurring, there were other breakouts on combo bands, guitars, and mariachi sounding music concerts. But I would submit that we should not shun the organization because of that. If others want to avail themselves of those things, let them. I don't think that the whole world has to agree with us, especially not at once. But there is plenty to be gained from the experiences I have noted.
    But I agree, it's surprising to find such a conversation going on in this day and age-- because there are many places and situations nowadays in which expressing or upholding Catholic doctrine would be quashed as "hate speech."

I just don't particularly care or want to know what people do in their private lives. They should have discretion and if they do, I'm certainly not going to go looking. I judge people by their public service to the Church, not by what they do behind closed doors. That's between them and God.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
    Nothing is morally neutral. It either helps you and the souls around you get to Heaven...or it doesn't. Period.

I don't agree with this. When you make a choice between a strip steak or a french dip, is that not a morally neutral choice? Does one help you get to heaven more than the other?
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • Thanks to PGA for the recap above. Another bon mot from Dr. Romeri, "If I have to re-write a piece in order for it to pass a freshman theory class, I don't have time for it!" There's just too much quality music to waste your time on something less. Although, it is easy to diss NPM, there are some very qualified and talented people who have elected to say active and fight the good fight within the organization.
  • CharlesW
    NPM sounds like it is getting better.
  • Kathy
    When you make a choice between a strip steak or a french dip, is that not a morally neutral choice?

Not much difference between a strip steak and a french dip--unless you have a growing family who depend upon you and a problem with blood sugar. If your doctor says to cut out carbs, and you choose the french dip, that's a moral issue.

If you choose the $18 strip steak over the $9 chicken pasta, and your blood sugar is fine but you are flirting with bankruptcy, then there is moral content there, too.

But we're not talking about two good foods here. We're talking about eating a balanced diet (of either faithful marriage or continent celibacy), vs. drinking paint.

And the question is more or less whether we trust someone who willingly drinks paint to teach nutrition to people we care about.
    One other thing, perhaps the best of all.

The CMAA and it's materials and mission is being actively promoted by more than a couple at NPM, and the audience is receptive.

At THREE seperate events, (two breakouts and a choral reading session) Dr. Romeri told everyone present about CMAA, the Simple English Propers, and Andrew Motyka's Communion Antiphons. He gave the web addresses, and in one of the sessions, I saw several people whip out their pens, and one man said "Can you repeat those websites again please?"

Dr. Romeri wasn't the only one to endorse these materials. I also heard other presenters mention them, including (both this year and in past years) Paul French and Charles Thatcher. I've also heard "hallway talk" about the CMAA and Simple English Propers and all of the other wonderful resources available.

The audience is interested and NPM keeps promoting the notion of propers more and more - a plenum speaker this year said that we should sing the propers in some form or another if we can, and mentioned Tietze's Introit Hymns. Several speakers encouraged using the Gregorian propers, perhaps on Christmas and Easter to add solemnity.

There is a real buzz right now around NPM for these ideas.
  • BruceL
    John Romeri was the consultant for my first full-time church job. He was directly responsible for putting my resume back into play: the committee didn't like that I had no experience, but he saw my academic background and asked them to put me back in. I have him to thank for 4.5 happy years in St. Louis!
    Thanked by 1kevinf
    How wonderful! He seems like a great guy. Very very knowledgeable.
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    For some people the real examinations of conscience start when the steak is cooked by an Anglican and the competition is a Catholic corn-dog.
    Thanked by 3Gavin CHGiffen Spriggo
  • BruceL
    John is a nice guy and has done much more chant and proper texts (I think Philly often does an introit hymn rather than a bona fide introit) over the past 6-8 years. He took a program that was pretty moribund (STL) and helped get it making music again.