NPM 2014, Saint Louis, MO (July 14–18)
  • Paul F. Ford
    Here am I to volunteer to staff a CMAA booth and help pay for it. Any other volunteers? And other sponsors?
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Don't know about staffing, Paul, but will help sponsor.
    Charles
  • Kathy
    Are they going to have the flying fish puppets in Saint Louis?
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • Paul F. Ford
    I have NO idea. To what are you referring?
  • Kathy
    The sort of kite thingies that led the procession today.

Sorry--I know you're asking a different, and very thoughtful, question.
  • Earl_GreyEarl_Grey
    I don't have any money, but I could help staff it!
  • BenBen
    I would seriously help, if I were just a little bit closer.... best of luck, guys!
  • matthewjmatthewj
    I would be glad to help with money and labor.
  • bkenney27bkenney27
    Same with the money, but I'll help staff! I didn't submit for my refund in time so I get a credit for next year instead. Goody.
  • bkenney27bkenney27
    To be clear, same as Earl_Grey, not matthewj on money. Way to time your post perfectly to make mine look bad. :P
    Thanked by 1Earl_Grey
  • I will be there, Lord willing, and will be glad to help.

Kenneth
  • Besides, I just spent a week in St. Louis and can help everyone find some really good restaurants---much,MUCH cheaper than Woodley Park, DC, which is only a mile or so from my house but well out of my price range. S. Louis,greatBBQ.
  • CharlesW
    Let us know when you are ready to go with this. Tell us what you need, how much you need, and when you need it. Also, provide an address for receiving donations.
  • Or PayPal account.
  • CharlesW
    I don't do PayPal. Provide an address.
  • Assuming I can get the time from work, I'd help with time and/or money, too.
  • donr
    I may be able to help with funds. I can not do the time unfortunately.
  • This will be a glorious endeavor!
  • Is this part of the New Evangelization?

Can I just go to St. Louis, but skip the conference?
  • matthewjmatthewj
    I doubt we can stop you from just going to St. Louis... our powers aren't that strong.
    Thanked by 1Spriggo
  • CharlesW
    "I felt a great disturbance in the Force..."
    "Use the Force, Luke"
    Thanked by 1Ben
  • Earl_GreyEarl_Grey
    Any cmaa members in St Louis this week?
  • BenBen
    Not here. NPM is bad news, if you ask me. Let's sing a new organization into being and bring the few good ones left into the CMAA.
  • chonakchonak
    Of course there are CMAA folks in STL. Horst is there, and if I remember right, one of the NPM chapter folks participated in the Musica Sacra St. Louis event he put on some time back.
    Thanked by 1BruceL
  • CharlesW
    Not here. NPM is bad news, if you ask me. Let's sing a new organization into being and bring the few good ones left into the CMAA.

I got the St. Louis blues...
  • The reality is that NPM still has the overwhelming majority of Church musicians in the US. If you want to affect any kind of meaningful change, we're going to have to work within that organization to some degree. The selection of the new president seems like good news to me, and there are people gradually working in the leadership to try to improve things.

Obviously, it has a way to go, but abandoning the NPM wholesale in order to bring about change is like trying to make the Ordinary Form more reverent by exclusively celebrating the EF.
  • If you visit the Rodgers Organ display, say hello to Neil Weston for me! Fine British organist who was serving a Washington DC Catholic parish until recently when he relocated to Columbus, Ohio....where he is available as an organist.
  • BenBen
    Dangit Andy. There you go ruining my pontifications with common sense.

Not to say I completely agree, but I see what you're saying, and it definitely makes sense.
  • CharlesW
    Just out of curiosity, how many musicians don't belong to either NPM or CMAA? I would think figures might be hard to get, but can we assume they must belong to one or the other?
  • Kathy
    Apparently I'm in St. Louis this week, in hymn form.
  • That's a great step, Kathy.
    Thanked by 1Kathy
  • kevinfkevinf
    NPM is about 12,000 members, at least on subscription magazine lists. About 3000 are at the convention. That is a serious drop from when I went in the early 1990's, when there were as many as 6000 present.

NPM still represents a strong voice and does have the ear of the American episcopate. I wholeheartedly agree with Andrew's assessment posted earlier.
  • PaixGioiaAmorPaixGioiaAmor
    I'm here. There are some very positive developments happening. More sessions on the propers and chant than ever. St. Louis children's choir tonight at the cathedral. Like I said, good things happening.
    So far - some highlights:

During the opening remarks, Dr. Truitt, who has been the interim leader of NPM, said "There are still some who view us as a guitar organization. Then there are others who say that we stand for retrenchment. The fact is, we are being heavily criticised from both sides - and that tells me that we are probably right where we need to be."

During a breakout that I attended with Fr. John Foley, SJ: Father Foley's breakout was all about the mass as the SACRIFICE of the mass. We talked about what sacrifice means. A woman piped up, saying that she thought we'd moved beyond all that, and that for years we've said "celebrate Eucharist," since all of that "sacrifice" stuff is pre-Vatican II. Fr. Foley softly replied, "No, I'm sorry. The Church has never changed its teaching. The mass is the unbloody sacrifice of calvary." Then he talked about why Christ's resurrection is necessary for salvation, in order to put him outside the realms of time, so that the sacrifice is "once and for all," yet happens each time we have mass. The same woman spoke up again: "What do you think about these new Eucharistic communities? They might or might not have a priest, but they just gather and HAVE Eucharist." Fr. Foley replied "Well, they certainly aren't licit, and without a priest, all you have there is a host, not the body of Jesus." She said "Well, it is becoming a big movement!" To which Fr. Foley replied "So is protestantism."

All in all - it's shaping up to be an interesting week. And we're only one day down.
  • Earl_GreyEarl_Grey
    For those who are in town, I recommend the choir concert at the cathedral basilica this evening conducted by our very own Herr Buchholz. Fr. Kelly is teaching some chant workshops as well.
  • BenBen
    PGA, that sounds like good things are happening!

To which Fr. Foley replied "So is Protestantism."

Good response!!
  • BruceL
    For all the cr*p people give John Foley, I heard him talk plenty while working in St. Louis and he is no heretic...or super progressive or... In addition, those he keeps company with in town are very good souls.

Thanks for posting PGA: I don't fully agree with the way Foley chose to use his musical gifts, compositionally speaking, but I think in our field it is best to trust people have the goal of salvation of souls as the first priority. It helps us to see them as people and helps us to be much more attractive to those who don't profess faith. Enjoy the week!
  • melofluentmelofluent
    As far as such being heaped upon SLJ's, Bruce, I don't think Foley has had as much ire directed his way as Schutte, YMMV.
    To be fair, not biased, Foley and company's choices may prove with enough hindsight to have produced fairer fruits of the emerging genres in the late 70's, much moreso than the Dameans, Weston Priory, Deiss and their predecessors Miffleton, Wise, Repp et al.
    Foley was the keynote, titular "leader" of the SLJ's, and IIRC he was the prime mover to insist that musical notation for even their first collection borrowed a sort of Jazz nomenclature for chordal assignments for the guitarists. Each subsequent collection's foreword INSISTED that guitarists learn bass note movement as assigned, and observed some disciplines regarding thumb picking, flat picking or strumming (Sorry, no nose picking.) This, of course, was of benefit to keyboardists as well, as it really isn't all that different than figured bass accompaniment. If Foley hadn't stuck to his guns on this, we might still be playing root based triads on all six strings all the doo dah day.
    Thanked by 2BruceL Liam
  • NPM is about 12,000 members, at least on subscription magazine lists. About 3000 are at the convention. That is a serious drop from when I went in the early 1990's, when there were as many as 6000 present.

At the opening, 6,000 members were mentioned. Another mentioned there being 2,000 chairs setup. This is the first I've been to since Indy--about 3,000 in attendance, and the lack of 1,000 chairs was very noticible to me. The opening 15 min was "interesting" to say the least, but I've been to some good sessions since.
  • By the way--the opening plenum today by Paul Westermeyer was wonderful and I think many on this board would enjoy it. PrayTell has it on YouTube if you'd like to see it.
    Thanked by 2BruceL Paul F. Ford
  • Paul F. Ford
    Westermeyer WAS wonderful. Well worth watching!
    Thanked by 1kevinf
  • kevinfkevinf
    Westermeyer is definitely worth watching.
  • francis
    Just out of curiosity, how many musicians don't belong to either NPM or CMAA? I would think figures might be hard to get, but can we assume they must belong to one or the other?
    Neither, any more. (Actually, I woudn't be caught dead in my grave (or alive for that matter) joining NPM, but to know the truth, subscribe.
  • francis
    Join the Church... we are going underground. Contact me if interested.
    Here we go.
    Thanked by 2CharlesW Liam
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Don't be too harsh, PGA. I watched some pre-clips of arriving attendees. They seemed, IMHO, to have reserves of whatever Kool Aid well on board that doesn't contain Cabernet, Pinot Anything, or any varietal of Muscat that could suffice as an element.
    These people, all in my generation sad to say, are True Believers.
    Very sad, very sad.
  • chonakchonak
    I expect a fair number of parish musicians are not members of either group, especially among more experienced musicians who might not be interested in their programs or publications.
  • CharlesW
    And the people of God at NPM sang:

We are old, we are senile
    We can't stand one another....
  • CharlesW
    Join the Church... we are going underground.

Be sure the ventilation is good in that underground church. Those Schnitgers are susceptible to mold and mildew. ;-)
  • CharlesW
    I expect a fair number of parish musicians are not members of either group, especially among more experienced musicians who might not be interested in their programs or publications.

I suspected that. I belonged to NPM for several years when the parish paid the membership dues. A few years ago, the pastor said he thought we had grown past what they had to offer so the parish stopped paying dues. I didn't think I would get enough from the organization to pay those dues myself.
  • If my parish didn't pay, I doubt I would. I was a member in college, but didn't continue once I finished. The one group I would pay for if the parish wouldn't is CRCCM, but the parish pays that also. The dues are lower and the benefits are great. I've never felt the same about NPM.
    Thanked by 2Andrew Motyka BruceL