Does your choir have a name?
  • Yosef
    After our group reached the one year mark of it's inception we picked a name for ourselves, The Schola Immaculata
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • Steve CollinsSteve Collins
    We added name of the choirs some years ago when we prepared a color brochure for recruiting. We did put some thought into it. This is "Stella Maris Church". The parish choir is "Mary Star of the Sea" - while we do sing a fair amount of Latin, even at English Masses, this choir's duty is the 10:30am Mass in English. The younger choir is the "St. Katherine of Alexandria Children's Choir. Before our parish was named Stella Maris - when the new church was built after the Civil War - the mission parish was call St. John the Baptist. At about the same time, that name was chosen for the new Cathedral in downtown Charleston. So, with a nod to history, the Latin Mass choir is "St. John the Baptist Choir".
    Also, our group of bell ringers took the title years ago of the "St. Cecilia Guild of Bell Ringers", and is a member of the "St. Agatha Guild of Catholic Bell Ringers" in the UK.
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • StimsonInRehabStimsonInRehab
    Two things, Julie -

1. At least it's not turba aurea . . .
    2. We should call the graduation of one of our members from school the end of turma.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    That's the only word I could find for team, though there might be others. It is a bit boring, though. Turba might give the wrong impression of your choir, that's for sure: a turmoil, hubbub, uproar, disorder, tumult, commotion, disturbance..

Some other options:
    Ordo Aureus
    Cors Aurata
    Sodalitas Aurea
    Grex Auratus

They don't really sound too good, but what can you expect from Sponge Bob? LOL.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Other Latin phrases with gold:

Tintinnabula Aurea (gold bells)
    Circulus Aureus (gold ring)
    Calix Aureus (gold chalice)
    Pomum Aureum (gold apple)
  • chonakchonak
    but what can you expect from Sponge Bob?

Robertulus Poriferus?
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    That's far too classy for Sponge Bob.
  • We are the "Choral Choir". And as one of my fellow choristers likes to say, "the Choral Choir from Wet Lake".
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    My brother refers to one of his choirs as "Wing and a Prayer."
    I don't know if his choir knows he calls them that....
    Thanked by 1BruceL
  • CharlesW

They don't really sound too good, but what can you expect from Sponge Bob? LOL.

Sponge Bob often runs around without his square pants. There's a wild party going on at the bottom of the sea. Sponge Bob is definitely kinky! LOL.
  • Liam
    There's always the Kako-phonies.
    Thanked by 1jefe
  • Andrew_Malton
    I think "Gold Team" should be translated "Chrysei"; obviously it's a little-known chariot-racing faction.
  • mmeladirectress

>> There's always the Kako-phonies

yes, and for the Not-Terribly-Good-Club members, the Po-lyphonics
  • ViolaViola
    The choir I took over is called 'the 11 15 choir' because that is the Sunday Mass it sings at (the solemn Mass at the cathedral). It also does other things. I'm trying to think of a better name..........
  • bhcordovabhcordova
    Well, it does sound kind of funny to say Sacred Heart's Catholic Church!
  • Claire H
    Our choirs are all named after titles of our Lady:
    www.smarymag.org/liturgy-music
  • Mr Cordova -
    The solution is the Church of the Sacred Heart.
    In Houston we have the Co-Cathedral of the Sacred Heart.
  • Scott_WScott_W
    We used the Rossini prospers which had some amusing syllable breaks, so our choir's informal name was from Psalm 137: "Super Flumina Baby!"
  • TeresaW
    Yes, at Sacred Heart we have a main choir called "Hearts of Praise." The kids are the Cherub choir, older adults are in the Heritage Choir, funerals are done by the Resurrection Choir and the youth band) choir is the YCW (Youth Called to Worship).
  • jefe
    What's in a name? In the end it's not about us or a label, but the value to the listener's hearts. (should that apostrophe be after the 's'?) Since no one in this part of California knows what Compline is or has ever attended one, I had a clean slate from which to work. Trinity was an automatic. So the first iteration of our Compline experience with lots of female altos and fewer males singing T,Bar, and B was, "The Trinity Compline Choir". Not very sexy, but accurate. In the beginning I did use the term, "Quire" to lend more of a feel of antiquity to the name, but the members were not fond of being referred to a side area off the Nave or a stack of paper. Next was our all-star, four to seven man, counter tenor ridden vocal ensemble we called "Renaissance Man". That worked out O.K., if a little Hollywood. Along came "Voces angelorum", our all female Compline Choir. I originally wanted, "Vocem angelorum" but it was an exclaiming tense in Latin. I had this vision of an angel putting her lips around a piece of chocolate with those 'M's'. Oh well. The ladies really like to be referred to as voices of angels. Our family quartet, to round out the four choirs, is called "Illuminare", not be confused with Illuminati. Our Parish choir, of which i am not the leader, is called "Festival Singers". Kind of misleading.
    I'm glad I had a clean slate to dream up these names. I only had to answer to The One.
    jefe
  • JesJes
    I really want to have a choir called Oremus Chorus. I bet it already is taken though.
    It's probably a horrible name but I really want it so don't steal it! :P
  • chonakchonak
    It is not a euphonious name.
    Thanked by 1Jes
  • It is not...
    Ahh, that's it!
    THE EUPHONIANS

(Boswell [or was is Johnson?] said of his choir, 'sir, we are a nest of singing birds'.)
    Thanked by 2Jes CHGiffen
  • maybe Boswell never heard the song of the grackle... like a rusty porch swing.

or maybe that's what he had in mind! :-)
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • Don9of11Don9of11
    When the youth choir sings with the adult choir we become the "intergenerational choir" . I won't reveal what we are called when the bell ringers join us!
  • CharlesW
    We call ourselves The Alzheimer's Choir, since we are all getting on in years.
  • Charles,
    when mustering your choir of ancients do you cry out 'calling All zheimers'?
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • CharlesW
    No, I cry, "The choir loft is this way." ;-)
  • It seems unjust, in a world currently so focused on justice, for a choir not to have its own name, given that even some child's quotidian luncheon meat has both a first and a second name.
  • bumping...
    All ye newcomers, let us hear from you!
  • jefe
    We have a trombone choir of about 14 players that meets on Tuesday afternoon from 1 to 3. Who is available to rehearse on Tuesday afternoon? Yes, the average age is.....up there, so we call ourselves the Paleobones.
  • For something a little different, the choir at my parish is called the Lorica of St. Patrick.

Our patron is obviously the great Irish saint and has a prayer of the same name as the choir contributed to him. Also a Lorica is another name for a breastplate armor which I thought was apt as we are singers using our voices as armor to strengthen the liturgy and the congregation.

Though generally I refer to my choir members affectionally as my "lovely lorica"
    Thanked by 1mmeladirectress
  • jcr
    Just a comment about the possessive in church names. I was told that St. Mary Catholic Church was not a church belonging to St. Mary, but that the church was named for the Saint in question. Therefore, no apostrophe because the possessive does not apply.

For whatever it's worth!
  • chonakchonak
    There is a phenomenon in language called "overcorrection". :-)
  • I was told...
    You were told wrongly. Churches named after saints are under the protection of whatever saint applies to a given church. Therefore St Anselm's church is under St Anselm's protection and he is that church's patron saint, so it's St Anselm's Catholic Church. Only Catholics seem (only since The Great Dumbing Down that followed Vatican II) to have a problem with this. Anglicans get it right. Most Methodists get it right. Lutherans get it right. But Catholics get it wrong. Nothing sounds so dumb as St Peter Catholic Church, or St Bridget Catholic Community. The possessive shows indisputably that St Matthew's Catholic Church is under the protection of St Matthew, who is thus the patron saint of St Matthew's Church. Patronal feast days should be marked with a glorious solemn mass, Te Deum, and a great parish banquet in the parish hall.
    ...Therefore, no an apostrophe because the possessive does not apply.
  • Someday I hope to be able to form a choir dedicated to chanting the Divine Office, so I can name it the Sext Pistols.
  • chonakchonak
    Stimson, can you tie the marksman St. Gabriel Possenti into your idea?
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • At my parish we have the "Schola Regina Angelorum" and the "St. Mary's Adult Choir." (Before the formation of the schola in 2016, the adult choir was simply called the "St. Mary's Choir.")
  • We (still) don't have a name. But we've started praying before rehearsal! Woo!
    Thanked by 1mmeladirectress
  • jcr
    When I was told what I related a few days ago, I had raised exactly what has been brought up in this thread with a sister with whom I worked in my university teaching life. I thought it was a questionable answer, but this was long ago and before my conversion. I was unsure when I did convert some many years later about whether conversion required redoing my elementary education with a nun or not. I had always thought it peculiar that the possessives were omitted. Now I am not so concerned about this problem, but do find much of the learning I have experienced in something over twenty years as a Catholic has required retooling of the perspective on a great many matters. Such conversations are interesting, lively, often a good deal of fun, and give us a break from the rest of what is going on around us as pathology becomes privilege and perversion becomes honor from the local gutter to the congress of the U. S.
  • Adult Choir of St Jude's Church