Does your choir have a name?
  • MHIMHI
    Thanked by 3IanW john m veromary
  • hcmusicguy
    We go by the "parish choir" or sometimes the "adult choir". We also have an informal funeral choir which informally goes by "funeral choir" or sometimes the "resurrection choir" (usually only referred to as such by the pastor). Our parish school (with which I am not associated) does give names to their three ensembles that do music at the school Masses, though I will not divulge those names here. On my shorter term radar is the formation of a bell choir which will probably be called the "bell choir", and possibly a chant schola which will most likely be called, simply, "the schola". As you can tell, I'm not big on choir names.

In my former parish, in which the music program was already very well established at the time of my arrival. Our main choir was called the "Celebrator Choir"; it started in the 1980s as the folk/contemporary group, and morphed over the years into an SATB choir that did sacred and liturgical music of all types. The funeral choir was called the "Queen of Peace Choir", and the youth choir was called the youth choir.
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I desperately want to start a secret choir called "Caballa Cantorum".
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    We haven't even got started on the possibilities of "choir" and "quire"!

And I thought "quire" was 1/20 of a ream, or about 24 or 25 sheets.

Cantus Infirmus

The Adiastematics

Are these like Tonus Peregrinus?
  • LIke Tonus Peregrinus???
    Definitely!!!

And not too different from Musica Ficta over in the next parish.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • jpal
    M. Jackson Osborn, did you mean Music Afflicta?
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • No... but I could have.
    (What an inharmonious bunch!!)
    Thanked by 3Gavin CharlesW jpal
  • MHIMHI
  • canadashcanadash
    Bringing this topic up again... "Parish Choir/Quire" was nixed as all choirs belong to the parish (my number one choice)

We have a "Gregorian Choir" and a "Youth Choir".

Our parish is named after one of the North American Martyrs. Perhaps this little fact will trigger another suggestion.

I will get the input of choir members but I want to bring definite ideas to the table.
  • Liam
    There is also Quire As Folk.
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • john m
    How about Chantalot? The Benedictunes?
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Liam, youre dating yourself, tho' that was funny!

How 'bout just " A Quire?"
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • CharlesW
    Name? The blind, the lame, and the deaf is getting close. LOL.
    Thanked by 2canadash expeditus1
  • canadashcanadash
    Oh my...
  • CharlesW
    Seriously, age is taking a toll on us.
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • WendiWendi
    The choirs at our parish are called...

Sacred Heart Choristers (this is the children's choir)
    All Souls Choir (sings for funerals)
    Holy Family Choir (sings for the early Mass)
    Immaculate Heart Choir (sings for the "High" Mass)
    Saint Cecilia Schola (women's chant schola)
    Saint Michael Schola (men's chant schola)

and No I'm not responsible for all of those. Our music director directs the first three.

I hope that helps inspire you.
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • matthewjmatthewj
    The Parish Choir
    The Children's Choir
    The Funeral Choir
    The Life Teen Band
    The Cantors

Hopefully someday:
    The Men's Schola
    The Women's Schola
    Thanked by 2Adam Wood canadash
  • Since we are Sacred Heart of Jesus, I informally call the choir the Sacred Heart Choir.
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • Theo
    Some people make the mistake of adding an 's' or an 'es' to possessivatise names... such as 'Charles's harpsichord'

In academic writing, it is correct to write "Charles's harpsichord" or "Brahms's unusual handling of the hypermetric structure." ;-)
  • chonakchonak
    Yes, I recently read that rule in the Chicago Manual of Style, but it looks like a bad practice, IMO.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood

>>English.
    >>Rules.

My sides.
  • My choir has a first name
    It's C-H-O-I-R ...
  • melofluentmelofluent
    My choir has a last name- it's M A Y E R!
    Couldn't resist
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • St. Blaise Schola Cantorum.

St. Blaise: Patron saint of sore throats.
    Thanked by 1Ben
  • THEO -

THE correct possessive for Charles is Charles' harpsichord.
    for Brahms it's Brahms' unusual handling of the hypermetric structure.

Adding an extra 's' to nouns ending in 's', besides being funny, shows ignorance of proper usage

It's St Francis' Poem of Creation, It's St Thomas Aquinas' Summa theologiae
    But it is St Jerome's vulgate, and St Dunstan's patronage of music.

While on possessives, I cant resist noting yet again that it is
    St Helen's Church, not the rather dumb St Helen Church
    It is St John Vianney's Church, or The Church of St John Vianney...
    but not St John Vianney Church

Catholics do not just name their churches after saints. They are placed under the patronage of St David, or St Anselm, to whom the church 'belongs' because that saint is the patron... furthemore, if your parish is St Augustine of Hippo's Church, St Augustine's day has the rank of solemnity in your parish - solemnity reflected in your finest liturgy and music... and maybe a great parish dinner.

To recap: never add an s to a word that ends in s to indicate the possessive, only an apostrophe
  • CharlesW
    Jackson, language changes over time, and not always for the better. There are many things in current style manuals that go against what I was taught. The one that gets me is "moneys." This is pure governmentese. When I was in high school they taught that the word "money" was both singular and plural. I have to admit it bugs me when I hear some talking head on TV say, "These moneys."
  • Catholics do not just name their churches after saints. They are placed under the patronage of St David, or St Anselm, to whom the church 'belongs' because that saint is the patron...

Actually, the titular and patron saint of a given parish are not necessarily the same. You are correct, though, in that both feast days in such a case (as well as the anniversary of dedication) would be celebrated as a Solemnity, even if they fell on a Sunday (in Ordinary Time).

(Yes, I know it's not necessarily relevant to the discussion.)

Here are some more parentheses for you: ()()()
  • francis
    Mine are:

Adult Choir
    Children's Chorus
    Schola Cantorum
    P&W Ensemble
    Spanish Ensemble
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • jpal
    Our parish is named after one of the North American Martyrs. Perhaps this little fact will trigger another suggestion.

"Martyr Choir" could be appropriate on a number of levels...does your choir consist of martyrs, or does it make them?
  • When I was in high school they taught that the word "money" was both singular and plural. I have to admit it bugs me when I hear some talking head on TV say, "These moneys."

They did not teach you correctly; the rest of the world has been using the plural "moneys" since the fourteenth century. E.g., Wycliffe: "And tolde to hym the tresorie in Jerusalem for to be ful with moneys [pecuniis] vnnoumbreable." 2 Macc 3:6.
    Thanked by 1Liam
  • CharlesW
    Yes, but we are talking about modern English, not some archaic form. We are Americans, so the rest of the world can perish - LOL. Money, singular and plural, was determined as correct by the grammar and style books used in my classes during the 1960s. While I agree that an older form may have come back, as they sometimes do, I think "moneys" as used today was a creation of the federal bureaucracy. I first encountered it in government financial documents in the 1970s, when I worked for the feds.

I recently received from Smithsonian's periodic e-mail to its supporters, an interesting article about hearing Shakespeare as spoken in his lifetime. I don't know if this link will work for non-subscribers, but if not the information may be available elsewhere. Very different than what we learned in school.

http://blogs.smithsonianmag.com/smartnews/2013/09/hear-shakespeare-as-it-was-meant-to-be-heard/?utm_source=smithsoniantopic&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20130915-Weekender
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Old things I like: THE RIGHT WAY.
    Old things I don't like: NEEDLESS ARCHAISM.

Was it moneys in 19th Century Russia?
    It was, but this is America now!
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • Yes, but we are talking about modern English, not some archaic form.

I see -- your new argument is that "moneys" was right historically, but then it went away, and its recent reintroduction is somehow inauthentic, so you prefer the new, modern English without it.

"Moneys" never went away, and it has not been reintroduced.

1596 Shakes. Merch. V. i. iii. 117 You come to me, and you say, Shylocke, we would haue moneyes.

1819 Scott Ivanhoe xi, ‘O’, said the Jew, ‘you are come to pay moneys.‥And from whom dost thou bring it?’

1822 Byron Werner ii. ii, But to steal / The moneys of a slumbering man!

1839 Penny Cycl. XV. 322/1 The denominations ... of the different moneys current among the chief nations of antiquity.

1866 Crump Banking v. 118 An agreement to pay the bill when certain monies were realised.

1885 Athenæum 30 May 690/1 The reasons for these changes in coinage, the intentions of those who issued moneys‥are often almost unknown.

References are from the OED. And this link will shows you the relative frequencies of "moneys," "monies," and (to pick a word at random) "chasuble" in printed English between 1750 and 2000. For those who don't care to click through, I can tell you that "chasuble" runs a very distant third at all points.

The fundamental error here is a common one, at least in certain kinds of discourse -- "The way I learned it" on granddad's knee / from the holy nuns at school / etc. "is the traditional way, everything else must be modernist nonsense."
    Thanked by 2Adam Wood ronkrisman
  • Actually, I have since very long ago been encountering the plural 'monies', but not 'moneys'. I think that monies rather suggests a plurality of plural money???
    And, with all due respect, Charles, I myself really do not consider old stuff, language or otherwise, to be necessarily archaic. If I enjoy using it then it is modern with a pedigree.
  • CharlesW
    My encounter with the term in government documents referred to money from different funds or budgets. Didn't we all learn language from someone, and didn't that teacher learn from probably another teacher? Language changes continually, especially if the media gets hold of it. Let any combination or hyphenated word show up on one network, and it won't be long until they are all using it. It isn't worth arguing over. I leave that to the archaic forum fussbudgets.

Charles, Scottish-American poster with more than enough money.
  • Actually, I have since very long ago been encountering the plural 'monies', but not 'moneys'. I think that monies rather suggests a plurality of plural money???

The OED saith, "For the plural the irregular spelling monies is still not uncommonly met with, esp. in sense 4." Sense 4 is "Properly = ‘sums of money’, but often indistinguishable from the sing. (sense 3). Now chiefly in legal and quasi-legal parlance, or as an archaism."
  • CharlesW
    Websters says "Monies - amounts of money." It lists moneys and monies as plurals. Apparently, either spelling is allowable.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    OED is descriptive of usage, not prescriptive.

As are all dictionaries, actually.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • CharlesW
    True, Adam. OED is descriptive of British usage, not necessarily usage in other English speaking countries. Interesting side note. I just read that they may never publish a print version of the next edition of OED because of the success of the electronic version.
  • GavinGavin
    "money from different funds or budgets."

That's how I understand it. Money is what I have. Money is what a person might give to me. But if I have a fund of some sort, and I get money from one source, money from another source, money from yet another, I have monies. I would then spend the monies. If I only had the money from the first person, I would spend the (singular) money.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I just read that they may never publish a print version of the next edition of OED because of the success of the electronic version.

That would be very foolish of OED, and another example of a company that doesn't understand how the information economy and the luxury economy interact.

Usefulness is not the main reason to buy the OED in print.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • The choir I sing in has the name "Propsteikirchenchor St. Laurentius Arnsberg", because we sing at the Propsteikirche St. Laurentius in Arnsberg. Propsteikirche is German for ecclesia praeposita---a honorary title the popes stopped giving when they invented the basilica minor---which could be translated as provostry church, as the pastor has the title provost. The church is almost a thousand years old and was once a Norbertine abbey.
    Thanked by 2chonak CHGiffen
  • Liam
    Moneys/monies is not a neologism. I've certainly been encountering it for four decades, FWIW, in American and English histories, among other places. Usually in fiscal discussions.
  • mmeladirectress
    ok, so I am bumping an old thread. I was too tickled by the Neumatics and the Cantus Infirmus.

To the parish we are just 'the Choir', but our self naming changes over time.

Once with attrition and recruiting problems we were Altos R Us

For a whlie, when we had too few men to sing propers, we ladies called ourselves the Scholettes (maybe this one got out - we got more male volunteers after that, lol)

In more recent years I have heard O Magnum Hysterium.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen canadash
  • StimsonInRehabStimsonInRehab
    My ad hoc group for TLMs is the St. Dunstan Schola.

The college group I direct is called "The Aureas Manus Chant Group." Originally, the name was supposed to be a translation of "Gold Team", inspired by the following video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVIg16Q930g

Google Translate gave us the name above, which I'm not sure is entirely correct . . . so thanks to some retroactive historical justification, I tell people that the name means "the Golden Hand", and refers to Guido d'Arezzo's teaching method. (Trust me, we sing Latin better than we translate it . . .)
  • CharlesW
    My choir is called the Alzheimer's Choir. We are all old and can't remember much. LOL.
    Thanked by 1Casavant Organist
  • Reval
    Shouldn't Hollywood be our ultimate authority, as in "The bells of St. Mary's"?

• mmeladirectress

the Belles of St Mary's ?
    Thanked by 3Reval CHGiffen canadash
  • NihilNominisNihilNominis
    St Mary, Help of Christians Caecilian Choir

Lovely name that's been around since dirt.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    turma aurea = gold team (I think)