All Gather, all the time
  • David AndrewDavid Andrew
    I'm glad I didn't have a sip of my drink in my mouth when I read the more recent responses. I'd be mopping bourbon out from between the keys of my laptop now.

And here I thought I had the whole "passive/aggressive" schtick down cold. You guys (Melo and chonak) have this down to a philosophy, if not a spirituality, complete with scripture references.

My hat is off to you both.

(Edited to add:) But seriously, E_G, your situation is no laughing matter, and you have my prayers and sympathy. It's easy to make light of it when you're not deep in the midst of such muck.
    Thanked by 1Earl_Grey
  • Earl_GreyEarl_Grey
    G3 does offer a lot of text choices for a truly pluralistic, multi-cultural worship experience. Compared to GC (what we have now) I'd say about 75% is exactly the same thing. There are a few more contemporary ditties and a much larger "social justice" section.

One big difference, however is that the service music section actually includes a complete Gregorian Mass in Latin (de Angelis) so technically I could chant the Kyrie, Gloria, Credo, Sanctus and Agnus Dei all a cappella without cutting into my 30% quota and then use a strong organ led hymn for the recessional. I'd still have to play 3 piano-lounge songs at the entrance, offertory and communion but I could secretly chant the propers myself and worship in my own little world whilst everyone else is having community time.
  • Earl_GreyEarl_Grey
    Of course the reason I'm stuck doing piano-lounge music is, it's hard to do the whole praise band thing without a band. I'm just going to have to lay down some tracks ahead of time to get the full effect. I do play guitar and piano but not at the same time. Vocal harmonies with ones self is also beyond me. If anyone knows where I could rent some do-whoop back up singers, let me know.
  • Blaise
    Make the music as much of centerpiece as possible without impugning seriously upon the legitimacy of the Mass.

and draw his agenda out into the open for all to see

I am sorry but I cannot endorse this opinion. Putting the music or the priest on display just for the sake of doing so or drawing attention to the situation does, not in my opinion, accord well with the demands of Christ and of charity.

Instead, you should choose the best tunes possible without being ridiculous about it, and when you are able, find another position as quickly as you can.

Remember, the Mass still remains the Mass, with the Body and Blood of our Lord Christ eventually becoming present for us under the disguise of bread and wine, regardless of the music chosen. So it behooves us that the ceremonies surrounding it should be our best offering (that is, as best as the situation permits), even if there are external demands which are placed on us (the unjust requirements of the priest), making our true best impossible .
    Thanked by 2Gavin JacobFlaherty
  • Earl_GreyEarl_Grey
    Of course. Just a little good humor among friends is helping me to cope with an otherwise unbearable situation.

In all seriousness, we need to pray for our priests. "Father, forgive them; they know not what they do."
  • CharlesW
    A good priest is to be treasured. However, some of them are spoiled, pampered, behave badly, and are in great need of a couple of good smacks.

EG, your situation does not sound good, and the future looks even worse for you. You need to get out of there as soon as possible. Prayers for you.
  • chonakchonak
    So have you gone through the G3 yet to classify the selections and give them a "grade" of sorts? That might make an interesting thread on its own.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Paul, in the immortal words of Tweety Bird, "He (you) don't know me vewy well, do he?"
    Never, ever take one word of my posts as gospel authenticity. I'm a "read between the lines" sort of thinker. Thanks for the reprimand, I needed it.
  • Earl_GreyEarl_Grey
    So have you gone through the G3 yet to classify the selections and give them a "grade" of sorts? That might make an interesting thread on its own.

Not yet. But it's in the works. Perhaps by next week.

It occurred to me that I failed to give the back story: The reason given for the new edict was in reaction to a recent Mass attendance report. Mass attendance has been on a steady decline for years now (never-mind the national trend). About 5 years ago, the former pastor was involved in a scandal of sexual nature (not with children, but still...). Before that there was an effort to raise an unrealistic amount of money to build a new church on a campus 5 miles or so from the current one. THAT didn't go over so well. So the new pastor comes along fixes the financial situation, begins a new capitol campaign and renovates the historic church and school building. Still this past year's numbers were alarming enough for him to conduct an informal survey of why people are leaving the church and while several reasons were cited, the music, which has been consistent for the past 10 years was chosen as the primary reason and hence the new edict and hymnal all without any discussion or input from me.

Going back even further in time, before I arrived on the scene, the parish changed music directors every year or two as far back as anyone remembers. The one before me lasted only 6 months. It took me at least 3 years to convince the choir that I was in it for the long haul. Countless people have complimented the more sacred repertoire choices, the occasional use of chant, how good the choir is sounding (despite the low membership) etc. but there's always that group of influential parishioners (whom this pastor happens to agree with) that wants the more casual American worship experience (one that doesn't feel like church).

Speaking of choir numbers, and correct me if I'm wrong, but I truly believe that some communities are simply incapable of producing a large choir--that is to say, they just don't want it. Choral music is not a part of the fabric or history of this community. I have about a dozen regulars--only 3 men, no tenors, and several travel for work and are absent frequently. I remember my days in college singing in the auditioned 40 voice select chorus where there were exactly 10 voices in each section. But that was at a music college. Some churches have larger choirs but most (especially catholic) do not. The final nail in my coffin is that I am to have the choir up to 20 regular members by Jan or I'm fired. (The pastor is sure that the new hip music choices will easily accomplish that). The eldest choir member who has been in the choir for 30 years or more has confirmed the choir has never had more than 20 members in all it's history. I have tried in vain to start a children's choir over the years but there simply isn't any interest from the parish. As disheartening as that is, I don't see how that is a reflection of my skills as a director. If anything, I have been wanting to move to a community that was more musically supportive and interested, but I think part of the reason I've stuck around as long as I have is because I feel sorry for them and wanted to show them at least a glimpse of what beautiful music can do for the liturgy and the community.
  • Earl_GreyEarl_Grey
    Addendum:

It's probably also worth noting the general trend of a heated music debate in the spring of the year right after Easter. While I always strive for balance, I do intentionally use more a cappella chant during Lent and more organ based hymns during Easter. During the summer I bring out the old 6-string with some regularity.

That being said, I always provide him with a copy of my music plans well in advance (at the start of each season) as well as copy for the coming Sunday each week with any last minute changes (if any). So it's not like there's ever a surprise at Mass. And yet, he has NEVER come to me to discuss changing something before it happens, rather he waits until after the fact and has his reactionary response. I would love to discuss and plan the liturgies with my pastor in advance, but he's never interested in doing so.

• irishtenoririshtenor
    "The final nail in my coffin is that I am to have the choir up to 20 regular members by Jan or I'm fired. (The pastor is sure that the new hip music choices will easily accomplish that)."

Ugh...how preposterous. I am so sorry that you are being put through the wringer here. Start applying for other jobs. Get out before you are fired, if at all possible. Is relocating an option?
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • BenBen
    That sounds crazy. I agree, try and leave.
  • chonakchonak
    Well, if you can start giving him what he wants before the new books come, the results will become clearer sooner.
  • WendiWendi
    Well, there it is. The pastor wants you out, and is making these unreasonable demands so that when you don't reach it and he fires you he doesn't look like the bad guy (well in his own mind at least).

20 regular members? Seriously? Does this priest pay the slightest bit of attention to the habits of his congregation at ALL?

My family has ties to your parish going back generations...one of my own children was baptized there. The parish has never had that large of a choir as far as I know. 20 on paper maybe, but 20 who show up on a regular basis? Nope.

I love your take on the proposed move...I had several family members completely freak out over that one. Loudly freak out.

• What is really truly sad about this is, even if you do attain 20 members, by perhaps getting a few friends to stick up for you and join, in the end, the guy will find some other reason to give you another unattainable expectation. Very sad indeed!
    Thanked by 1JacobFlaherty
  • SalieriSalieri
    20 People! 20 People! I have never seen an all volunteer parish choir with more than 15 - for special occasions!!

Perhaps you can get some card-board cut-outs and then mic the choir to a zillion decibles so it sounds like 20?
  • melofluentmelofluent
    I'm bowing out. It occurs to me that this scenario, now so full of details, history, agendae et al, might not best be played out in such a public manner. I've been played on this forum by attack sheep from my own parish, and it just isn't appropriate to let it continue by drawing the narrative on and on. God bless, Earl and keep faith in the Lord.
    Thanked by 2Adam Wood CHGiffen
  • chonakchonak
    Y'know, it might be good to give the pastor this book after you read it: When Sheep Attack
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Earl_GreyEarl_Grey
    It is finished.
    320 x 240 - 64K
  • TCJ
    Ouch. Sounds like you're in an awful situation, to say the least. I'd certainly be looking for a new job. In fact, I'd probably have already turned in my resignation since I don't have a family to support like you do. I've had pastors make completely unreasonable requests of me which I (and I'm sure they) know were impossible and used them to cut wages/responsibilities, and, ultimately, get rid of me.

Hopefully you can find a better job somewhere else. I'm currently searching for something else myself, but the prospects around my area don't seem to good. Maybe you'll have better luck.
  • CharlesW
    I haven't had to quit a music job. But if I were in your situation and could hold out for perfect timing, I would leave two days before either Christmas or Easter.
    Thanked by 3IanW Gavin ZacPB189
  • chonakchonak
    Mental note: does your diocesan cathedral have a choir of 20 members?
  • TCJ
    I haven't had to quit a music job. But if I were in your situation and could hold out for perfect timing, I would leave two days before either Christmas or Easter.

I once gave my two weeks notice two weeks and two days prior to Christmas.
  • Surveys about church attendance never seem to include the following essential check-off choice boxes:

The sermons suck.
    The pastor's a jerk.
    The pastor's always asking for money from the pulpit.
    The pastor relies on his toadies to run the parish.
    I would be afraid to leave my children alone with the pastor.
    The pastor hired a school guidance counselor without at least one important question: "Are you an atheist".
    The pastor hires people who could never hold a job to work at the parish.

So asks the round-collared jerk described as a priest, "So why are you leaving the parish?"

"Ummm...it's the music, Father Jerk, it's the music."

People who love their priests will attend Mass.

Did I remember to include, The sermons suck?

[one thing about all these bad priests is that they make the good ones look glorious!]

Thanked by 2irishtenor CHGiffen
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    frogman, you hit the nail on the head!

For many, many, MANY people, it's all about the sermon. The music is important, but the priest, and the way he behaves and preaches, is at least as important. I personally believe that the priest is far more important to most people than the music. YMMV.
  • hartleymartin
    20-strong choir?

I sing in a Cathedral Church and ours is at 30 - a regular parish couldn't achieve that without a lot of long, hard recruiting, great repertoire, and (frankly) paying a few people to be there.
  • BenBen
    We have somewhere between 11-15 at my cathedral.

Nice...
  • Earl,
    I'm so sorry to hear all this. The sad fact is that we are living through an extended identity crisis in the Church.
    Five years ago I was given the Directive- "No chant, no Latin". I hung around for almost a year then left, as graciously as possible... about five months later I was offered a position at an FSSP parish. When the pastor gave me the Directive to *focus* on Gregorian chant, and threw in the phrase "AGO wages" I couldn't believe it.

Oh, and my degrees are in voice, too.

And I'm currently expecting our fifth child, and my husband is also a musician. And we homeschool our four wonderfully loud sons.
    So I really hear ya!!

All this to say, be encouraged that good things can happen to church musicians, too. Once in a while. And hang in there.

May God reward you.
  • EG, our situations sound similar. I'm just sitting here at my home desk, looking at a sheet of paper in which I've written out the 13 dioceses, 1 grocery store, 2 hotels, and 1 family-owned bowling alley I could possibly consider working at in a few months because next year, I AM OUT. I resigned effective next month, but only because things took such a sour turn after some un-informed folks decided to start making hysterical demands and threats (during this past summer while I was at the Colloquium) that it has been affecting even my physical health ever since.

I would strongly advise you to give your notice, work anywhere else but there... Those ultimatums are a means to get you to leave. "Get your choir to 20 or else..." Baloney! What happens if he does a "census" on a day that three of your choir members are gone sick? Your peace of soul is more important!

Secondly, your kids need you to teach them how to pray! If they feel torn and want to come to Mass with you and you feel as if it is a circus, that's not helping them spiritually, or you, for that matter. Listen, I understand. I am a young guy with young kids and it's tough. But in the end, you and I and all the other dads (and moms) get one shot at this raising our kids in the Faith thing. Seize the day! Better to work at a grocery store and teach the kids how to love God as He truly is than to make a small amount more and belong to a place that's so wrapped in on itself they hardly have room for the One they proport to be there for...

Doesn't it stink when who and what you love (the local Church) doesn't love you back because she doesn't know who she is or what kind of dignity she possesses? You know it, and you call her to great heights, but she doesn't know it, and makes light of it all. There's no happy ending in that really, except to hug your kids and your wife tightly and say to them as they drift off to sleep: "I'm going to do my best to help you get to Heaven!"
  • TCJ
    I'm just sitting here at my home desk, looking at a sheet of paper in which I've written out the 13 dioceses, 1 grocery store, 2 hotels, and 1 family-owned bowling alley I could possibly consider working at in a few months because next year, I AM OUT.

If I could find a job at the bolded place, I'd be happy to quit my job. Bowling is my favorite hobby and my job is current my least favorite current job! Send me the address, please!

On a serious note, I'm sorry to hear of yet another situation such as yours. It seems everywhere I look, a church's music program is taking a turn for the worse.
    Thanked by 1Earl_Grey
  • ^^ Amen, JIF.
    Prayers for you and Earl.

I can take being underappreciated as a musician. I can take pastors who display irrational or less than professional behavior. It's probably good for me.

But I can't abide with scrapping the real directives of the Church, or a program of progressively reaching those directives. Nor do my children have extra years to sit around and be overly confused or conflicted about what it means to be a faithful disciple, which includes due love and obedience given to public worship of God.
  • JIF, I am so sorry to hear that you too have been attacked. You and your family will be assuredly in our prayers as well! I don't know what is wrong with these people. Just listening to what everyone is experiencing, it feels as almost the slightest mention of doing sacred or gregorian chant, will start to fire up trouble. Certainly looking at this pattern that seems to be evolving, does not look good. First Tomboysuze, now Earl, now you, not good. We will certainly add you to our prayers! God bless you guys!
    Thanked by 1Earl_Grey
  • 20 strong singers? I think this priest needs to go to the Vatican and take up residency there. My "choir" consists of about 8 at this point (most of which have difficulty finding pitch) and a strong cantor. But, my pastor, knowing the difficulties of attaining a good sound with volunteers, is willing to go with a cantor only, if that's all I have. Good luck finding 20 "regular" people. Maybe you could solicit them for big liturgies, but I would imagine it would be VERY difficult to find 20 :"regular" members.
    Thanked by 1Earl_Grey
  • matthewjmatthewj
    If you get 20 people together and teach them about choral singing, they'll sound like 20 strong singers even if 15 of them are weak singers. In order to get 20 people into your loft you'll need to be very charming, persuasive, and kind. Go to social events and meetings at the parish and meet people. The most important thing I can impress upon you is this: act normal. Musicians have such a hard time with this. Before you do/say anything ask yourself, "would normal people do this?" Normal people (say normal person X sells aluminum products) don't go to unrelated meetings and talk exclusively about aluminum. They rarely rant about the state of the aluminum industry - and when they do it is only in the company of other aluminum folks. So when you go to a parish meeting or social event, go with non-musical things to talk about (sometimes you need to think of things before you go). Act normal and talk about these non-musical things until you identify who in the room might be a potential choir member. Then you approach them.

I've taken churches with small choirs and turned them into churches with big choirs. Just be likeable, normal and approachable and stuff will happen. You've got a deadline so you should be working on it already! Get to those meetings / social events.
  • The pastor is telling you that in his expert opinion that in his parish you are not the right person for the job.

His criteria for your remaining in the job was not created to give you a chance to keep the job, but to inform you of all the ways that you, in his opinion, have fallen short in running his music program in his parish.

If you are able to actually succeed in doing everything he has asked that you do, you will either then be given a new list that is even harder to achieve or you will get word that "his parish" has "run out of money to pay you".

Get out, now. Keep your sanity and self-respect. Remember, working in Catholic churches often sucks.

Let's all value and thank those wonderful priests out there that value and support Catholic music and musicians of quality.
  • francis
    Yes, we must remember, being true to THE faith and to Jesus and His Church and being good parents to our children and examples to our family is WAY more important and central to our existence than our musical careers.
    Thanked by 1Earl_Grey
  • chonakchonak
    It would be more honest and peaceable to say: I'm going to dismiss you in January because I don't like your choices in music, so I'm giving you notice. If he lacks the ability to do that, perhaps he deserves some pity and prayers.
    Thanked by 2francis Earl_Grey
  • Here's a good example of a church with an open position to avoid when you begin your search:

Large parish on Gulf Coast seeking creative, professional musician comfortable with composition, transposition and arranging for guitar, bass, B flat and C instruments, vocalists and choir; well established cantor program, Traditional Choir, Contemporary Mass group and Life Teen Band; willing to work closely with volunteer conductor, instrumentalists, and Faith Formation programs. Music space includes 48 channel digital mixer, Korg CX3 organ keyboard, Korg Triton workstation, Chickering Grand piano, Rodgers organ with PR-300, drums, percussion, multiple amplifiers with 18 microphones; projection system with Apple computer and ProPresenter V software. Visit website for full description.

No, I did not make this up. For those who fear Pope Francis...have no fear - these are the priests and musicians that should be afraid, very afraid.

Thanked by 1Earl_Grey
  • TCJ
    I'm guessing that church will be paying minimum wage, too.
  • And probably require you to be bi or trilingual.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • Earl Grey, I can empathize with you. I experienced a similar situation. The only good solution is to extricate yourself with honor as soon as possible. In this situation, no one will "win" in the long run. You are looking at a "dying" parish until the ordinary steps in to make changes. Keep your spirits and your chin up. You will find a better situation. My prayers and very best wishes are with you.
    Thanked by 1Earl_Grey
  • GavinGavin
    Shameful job posting there. They spend HOW MUCH money on synthesizers and audio equipment, and don't even have a real organ?? Absolutely shameful.
  • francis
    I am trilingual! I speak in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit!
  • BenBen
    Sad. Very sad. I'm putting St. Thomas aquinas in New Port Richey, FL on my list of "never visit" church list.
  • Earl_GreyEarl_Grey
    JIF: I'm sorry to hear of your situation as well. I will keep you and your family in my prayers as well. I've been doing a lot of praying lately. As much as I would love to submit my resignation immediately, I just can't swing it financially. So I will have to play the game for awhile--until I find something else, or the Lord reveals some new divine plan to restore sacred music in His Church.
  • Earl_GreyEarl_Grey
    In the meanwhile. I've got this little gem to keep me occupied. The perfect means of unifying both camps in the liturgy wars.

The picture isn't big enough. It's the Gregorian Chant book for Ukulele that was featured on the Cafe a while back.

http://www.chantcafe.com/2012/10/for-those-who-cant-get-enough-chant.html
  • Real organ? Sounds like they don't even have a real priest if he lets the "musicians" have all those toys.

[Ben, 'fess up - you applied for the job, didn't you. You're always one for a challenge]
  • BenBen
    Hey: Note the wording. I never said I wouldn't work there. I cease to be a visitor once I'm on payroll. :D

This parish could be a good candidate for my system. Lots of kindling to use there.

Seriously though, I must confess, when I see things that bad, I almost want to apply with a fake "awesome" (from their perspective) resume, just to waste their time. That's my twisted mind for ya.

Random note: please pray for a friend being ordained a deacon tomorrow.
  • TCJ
    Sometimes I'm glad that I never spent the money on a music degree because once you have it, all you can find for work are spots like St. Thomas Aquinas Church offers!