Hymnody for Funerals: an occasion for pastoral efficacy
  • A couple weeks ago, I tried to start a discussion on educating our youth. This is where the real heavy lifting needs to take place. In our Parochial schools and Masses.
    Not to create more musicians, but to foster more Catholics and Catholic culture.
  • CharlesW
    And whatever you do, don't sing, "Father, We Thank Thee, Who Hast Planted." ;-) It will not be well received.
  • Just sang that one last Sunday! Great text and tune. Most of the people exit during the final hymn anyways, so might as well be a good one.
  • Earl- think a little harder on that one. It'll come to you...in the silence!
  • BruceL
    Mark, you're doing extra time in "the purg" for that last pun!
    Thanked by 1Mark Husey
  • Henry Purcell Z860 - Funeral March for Queen Mary.

Good for the procession out of the church to the Hearse.
  • bkenney27bkenney27
    I'm going to resurrect this topic.
    Since we have mentioned a number of times about the importance of educating musicians about steering families in a better direction, I present the following predicament.

I am currently at a parish that had zero experience with chant until I was hired two years ago. I currently have a funeral sheet which provides some hymn selections for each part of Mass and the family is permitted to select all the hymns from that sheet. I am currently revising said sheet and am trying to take out the OEW and Amazing Graces with the philosophy that if they want them, they'll ask... but we certainly don't need to SUGGEST them. While trying to take out those hymns, I am also trying to include some chanted propers with the hope that SOMEONE SOME DAY will choose a chanted Introit, Offertory, or Communion.

How would you do this? I am currently following the formula below:

ENGLISH CHANT: (list text options from the SEP)
    LATIN CHANT: (list text options from the GR and GS)
    HYMNS: (list more traditional hymns, still trying to find ones that tie into the propers)

I fear this might be convoluted, especially because there are so many options in the official books. I also think families may be confused by my labeling of English Chant, Latin Chant, and Hymns, possibly thinking they need to choose one of each.

How have you mingled family input with holding fast to the texts of the rite? I saw one person that seems to allow for two requests, with the rest being chosen by the Director of Music (presumably, the propers in some form.) Has anyone else tried something different?
  • jpal
    I wonder if you might be able to get any ideas from this:
    http://bit.ly/SEASwedding

It is the form I have couples preparing for weddings fill out. I was afraid it would be confusing, but so far everyone is loving it. I have had two couples choose Latin propers and ordinary for their wedding; had it not been on the form, they would not have chosen it.

For funerals, we have less flexibility than you do. The introit and communio from the GR are always sung, for instance, and the ordinary is always Latin. I believe that it is helpful to limit the suggestions for funerals, since there is so little time and so much stress. Couples preparing for their wedding have (hopefully) the luxury of time to make these decision.
  • Earl_GreyEarl_Grey
    I think you're on the right track. Perhaps limit it to only a few choices for each part and say, choose one of the following (a Latin chant, an English chant or two and then a couple hymn choices) and then have a blank space for "other" which will inevitably be filled in frequently with OEW and the like, but at least they are seeing that there are other options.

The same could be done for weddings offering a few choices but allowing for pastoral exceptions/requests providing that they aren't too far off the mark.

• bkenney27bkenney27
    Thanks! This has been helpful. I'll let you know how it goes!
  • ClergetKubiszClergetKubisz
    Yeah, we need to educate the children in the Parochial schools on proper Catholic music history. I think that will go a long way: appeal to the sense of identity. After all, it is their heritage as Catholics and more importantly a cultural trait of Catholicism (or at least it was).
  • Mark HuseyMark Husey
    99% of families you'll work with will have zero musical or liturgical background. They want to be comforted and are looking for a transcendent experience in the midst of their grief. Letting them pick a couple of hymns is a great idea and pastorally efficacious, not an occasion to pass judgement on their taste or their lack of education. Enfolding even the humblest of hymns in a sound liturgy is good for all concerned.
  • GavinGavin
    I tend to say if it's in the hymnal, it's allowed.

Good reason to be cautious in buying a hymnal, and get something like the Vatican II Hymnal.
    Thanked by 1jpal
  • BenBen
    That's a good reason in general not to get a hymnal with junk in it. You can give the book to someone, and say: "pick anything in here."

It also seems much less subjective then ("well... That's in the hymnal, but it's not a good one to sing...").
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    You can give the book to someone, and say: "pick anything in here."

No.

"In accordance with [cite authority and tradition], and to relieve grieving family from having to make a lot of decisions at this difficult time, it is our custom to [state what you plan to do]. Do you have any additional special requests?"

ANYTHING they request can be worked in somehow: As an additional hymn in the liturgy, as a prelude or postlude, as a post-communion meditation, or during another semi-formal time such a wake or eulogizing service.

But mourners should never be put in the position of having to plan the liturgy.
    (Although if they are the type that super wants to, accommodation should be made for that as well.)

No catalogs of repertoire unless they are requested, no choices offered unless they are requested.

Open the door just enough for special requests, and the family will tell you what they need from you. Knock down the door and walls entirely, and the full weirdness of human grief will wreak havoc on everyone involved.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    No catalogs of repertoire unless they are requested, no choices offered unless they are requested.

Actually- I amend this statement.
    IF (and only if) you are in a environment that currently has (or very recently had) both "traditional" and "contemporary" styles of music (either at various Masses, or hybridized together), it may (MAY) be a good idea to ask some version of whether a "more traditional" or "more contemporary" service is preferred (along with some vague explanation of what that means).

And I really do mean that questions such as "What are my options for X?" or "Could you play some [example of music] because [someone liked it]?" should be treated with all respect.

I'm just saying:
    We should not expect or require (or encourage) grieving families to pick out music. Neither should we discourage them strongly if they need/want to.

In my family of church-geeks, planning a funeral liturgy would be a seriously helpful coping mechanism, and I would be very upset to find a parish staff unwilling to go along with it. At the same time, there are people for whom having to pick between Credo I and Credo II would be too much pressure.

Have a plan. Be a human.
    Thanked by 2Mark Husey CHGiffen
  • BenBen
    No.

That was more of a general comment for other liturgies, not specifically for funerals. For example, at a youth rally when a committee had to pick hymns, we did exactly that. We brought a VII hymnal, and said "pick the hymns from here."
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Which is precisely what the V2 hymnal was striving for.
    --
    Side note: An argument could be made that a hymnal in which every hymn is generally appropriate any old time does not, then, contain much music which is specifically appropriate at any particular time. (This is my biggest complaint with The Hymnal 1982, BTW. )

However- Even if that is a valid argument in theory (and I don't know if it is, but let's assume)... given the state of music in the American Catholic world, its probably a worthwhile trade-off.
  • Mark HuseyMark Husey
    Enfolding even the humblest of hymns in a sound liturgy is good for all concerned.

I'm quoting myself, but even I've had my limits stretched. I'm glad this conversation is happening.

Have a plan. Be a human.

Sounds pretty Christ-like to me.
    Thanked by 2Adam Wood CHGiffen
  • GavinGavin
    I think we've mostly agreed that "liberally offer to allow any appropriate music as requested" is superior to "make the bereaved pick 4 hymns." The question then is, who has talked to your pastor (or funeral homes) about moving towards this model? And what was the outcome?
  • CharlesW
    I found myself in a strange situation regarding funeral/memorial masses this past week. A very sweet lady called and asked that our 11:30 a.m. Sunday mass be a memorial to her mother. Her mother had died while all the priests were on an extended retreat, so there was no memorial service at that time. The mother had been a life-long member of the parish.

As it developed, she wanted three of her mother's favorites - Ave Maria, Let There Be Peace On Earth, and the infamous - I have called it this for so long I can't always remember the real title - One Bed, Three Bodies, Menage au Trois. I know, personal wickedness - can't help it.

I plan music at least a month in advance and distribute the list to those needing it. Consequently, I will not make last minute changes since it throws everyone else off.
    I wouldn't change the entrance and recessional hymns, but did slip the Ave in at offertory, and the three bodies in after the communion hymn. But with those two dreadful hymns in the hymnal, it makes it extremely difficult to refuse on "appropriateness" grounds.
  • Tournemire
    I find that usually at funerals families don't really know what they want and things get complicated when they are bombarded with too many options. Granted, I'm in the fortunate situation that I'm at a cathedral with excellent acoustics for chant and organ. So funeral music consultations with families usually lasts 5 minutes over the phone. I usually tell them that we do the prescribed music for the rite of funeral liturgies at the cathedral, but that there are a few options: such as the responsorial psalm and the solo sung by the cantor during offertory. I also steer them away from hymnody because I think the ordinary parts are enough for people to sing as I find people typically don't sing at funerals in any case. So a typical funeral looks like this musically:

Entrance antiphon: Requiem aeternam chanted by the cantor
    Responsorial Psalm: Psalm 23 or Psalm 27
    Gospel Acclamation: Alleluia
    Offertory: Pie Jesu settings either by Fauré or Gounod depending on voice type Like as the Hart Desireth the Waterbrooks (Healy Willan) The Lord is My Shepherd Bob Chilcott
    Eucharistic Acclamations: Community Mass (Proulx)
    Agnus Dei: Mass XVIII (chant)
    Communion: Lux aeterna with psalm verses(chant)
    Incensing responsory: Saints of God, come to his/her aid (Proulx)
    Song of farewell: In paradisum chanted by cantor

I know very well that I'm blessed. I have wonderful cantors and a space which makes chant sound heavenly and transcends the people. This set-up won't necessary work in a regular parish setting, and of course you need the support of the clergy.

• BenBen
    Tournemire, you have a better situation than you realize. At a Cathedral, nonetheless! Congrats on the good work!
  • Mark HuseyMark Husey
    Rudy (Tournemire) I don't know the Willan or the Chilcott, and it sounds like you know your people well. It's hard to tell when people will or won't sing hymns at a funeral held in our parish: nothing worse than full, active, and conscience apathy.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • Tournemire
    Mark, indeed, it is difficult to gage. But hymn singing is not really part of the Mass. As long as they sing the Ordinary, and the responsorial Psalm and Gospel Acclamation I'm happy. But generally even that is a tall order, especailly when you have 30 people in a space that seats 1,300.

The Willan is actually a very nice and simple choir piece. It's in the Parish Choir Book published by Concordia. The Chilcott comes from Oxford Solo Songs - Sacred published by Oxford University Press.

• bkenney27bkenney27
    I, too, have wonderful acoustics for chant and organ. Some day, I hope my funeral liturgy will look like that.

How do your cantors handle chant? Did you have to teach them? Was there any resistance on the part of the cantor? Do you accompany any of the chant?

One of my hurdles (apart from the congregation) is that my cantor often feels awkward with the chant because she has only ever done the standard four hymn sandwich before she worked with me. I think she feels odd chanting without a schola, just doing it by herself. Have you run into anything similar? She has a degree and knows and appreciates chant, but sometimes struggles with its place in modern liturgy.

Also, how many of you follow the rubric of no solo organ music at the requiem Mass? And how many of your churches follow the one regarding flowers? Just out of curiosity.
  • Tournemire
    The cantors are fine with chant. They also sing in my choirs, so learned it early on and have no resistance to it. One of my sopranos has the voice of an angel, so of course hearing her chant Requiem aeternam transcends anyone to heaven. Thus I have not experienced any resistance to it at funeral liturgies. Again, I think the problem comes when you bombarde the family with too many options, and if you don't have the support of the clergy.

I don't accompany the introit. I do accompany the communion chant (Lux aeterna) with psalm verses though. Typically I don't play any solo music. However if people are still busy leaving the church after the In Paradisum has been sung I usually improvise on it in a subdued registration.
  • bkenney27bkenney27
    Thanks for the info! Very helpful.