Hymnody for Funerals: an occasion for pastoral efficacy
  • Discussion topic: music at funerals. I'm good friends with the associate organist at the local Episcopal Cathedral here, who only has the Hymnal 1982 in the pews. If somebody requests "Eagle's Wings" for a funeral, they can, quite gracefully, say that that hymn isn't in their hymnal, and circumnavigate an occasion for questionable taste. But is a funeral an opportunity to do that? At my parish (Saint Peter's Catholic Church in Columbia, South Carolina), our pastor directed me that our funerals are an "offer it up" moment, where if the music is in one of our hymnals, or even in the realm of Christian hymnody, we can offer it up, and do, with as much dignity as we can muster. I'm leading a string quartet and a small semi-pro choir doing four excerpts from Fauré's REQUIEM (my choice) along with Schubert's "Ave Maria" (choral arrangement from Oxford's Weddings for Choirs), "Here I am, Lord" (descant from High Praise 2); a setting of O Waly Waly and The Prayer of Saint Francis (descant by Martin Neary, a la Princess Diana's funeral): those pieces were the family's choice, but I found the arrangements because they're just regular people (who donated one of our two social halls), not musicologists or liturgists (thank God for small favors). The outcome in our situation: professional musicians are getting employed, a major work (albeit it truncated and modified) is getting some air-play in a liturgical setting, and the family is being comforted in a time of need. Discuss.
    Thanked by 1[Deleted User]
  • CharlesW
    We try to guide families toward better music for funerals. However, it is not the time to get into a battle with them. We tolerate things for funerals we would never allow any other time.
  • I provide a list of (very sound) suggestions, at the bottom of which is "any hymn from an approved Roman Catholic hymnal". I still get asked for "What A Friend We Have In Jesus" and "The Old Rugged Cross", which unfortunately, ahem, we cannot do. And I still haven't learned "Lead Me, Guide Me" dang it.... I tolerate much more because I think it's just the right thing to do. On the other hand, they also get the Propers and the "In Paradisum" with the package, whether they know it or not.......
    Thanked by 1Mark Husey
  • Hi Mark,

Great topic. Though the funeral liturgy can be an occasion for advancing our noblest music convictions, there are limitations on abilities to carry them out. Your pastor’s response is hardly unique and, even worse, some pastors actually have a fondness for schlock.

In every parish where I’ve worked, I’ve prepared a recommended music list for the area funeral homes. (This is essential since the funeral director is usually the first person to discuss the need for liturgical music decision making with family members of the deceased.) Sometimes my suggestions are followed, oftentimes they are not. If it is the latter and the requested selection is religious in nature, there is nothing I can do about it beyond insisting on a particular placement within the Mass. As you have done, I try to present it with as much care and dignity that I can muster. Sometimes not even that can save the situation, however (as when the family insists on a “great soloist” who turns out to be something less than that).

The only time in my career I’ve had complete control at a funeral Mass was when my mother-in-law passed away and my wife and her siblings asked me to “take care of the music end of things”. On that occasion our mutual friends Olbash and DeMille helped me create the funeral liturgy of my dreams (well not quite, but close). I, not the funeral home, created the printed program and that insured that no one was left in the dark about the Latin introit or selections not found in the pew hymnal (Marier psalm antiphon and acclamations plus the hymn “Spirit Seeking Light and Beauty”). Afterward, a few people came up to the organ and whispered “I want my funeral to be like that”. At such moments you really do feel you’ve chosen the right line of work.
    Thanked by 1Mark Husey
  • GavinGavin
    I say be as tolerant as you can.

Funerals are like a pop quiz of your effectiveness as music director. If they're requesting chant, you did your job right. If they're requesting bad music, you have only yourself to blame.
    Thanked by 1Kathy
  • miacoyne
    To help families with the music, I put 'Funeral music guidelines' in the parish website, which I ask funeral homes and families to refer to. In addition to the list of suggested hymns, I also put following note at the bottom, which I include in the Mass leaflets that I provide for every funeral Mass.

For the funeral Mass at St. Jane's, musicians, Funeral choir, cantor and music director,
    have been trained to provide music for the sacred liturgy. We also put forth effort to
    maintain consistency in praying together for the deceased souls with the Holy Mass of
    the Universal Church and the respect for Her tradition. If there is a hymn request, it
    will be sung before the Mass as a prelude. (Other private devotional hymns and songs can be played or sung at the wake or other appropriate times)

We sing SEP Introit and Communio.
    (One compromise I have is singing Ave Maria, Gregorian chant, which is in the hymnal. So if there is a request for Ave Maria, I tell them that it is already included in the Mass. I haven't heard any complains yet)
  • GavinGavin
    I absolutely believe we should be pastorally considerate. I don't even consider it a naughty word.

But I don't think asking a grieving family to plan the liturgy is a pastoral thing to do. The best minds in the Church have worked for 2000 years to make the Requiem what it is today; why would you ask a person in sorrow to undertake that work? Do we ask them to make repairs on the hearse? "To comfort you in your loss, I want you to do the music director's job for him." Really?

When I've been in a position to do so, I would keep it simple and pastoral. I would contact the family, and ask if there are any requests. Any hymns or sacred music dear to the deceased or the family. They usually have a few, of varying quality. I select the rest, and chant the ordinary and other parts of the Mass.

I don't know why it's considered pastoral to give people a list of things to do.
  • GavinGavin
    Mia's policy seems very reasonable. Well done.
  • Funerals are like a pop quiz of your effectiveness as music director. If they're requesting chant, you did your job right. If they're requesting bad music, you have only yourself to blame.

Why should you be measuring your effectiveness as a DOM based upon the selections that a family comes up with for a funeral? You have no control over their requests. Families get together from all over, and come up with usually their favorites, and not necessarily the propers, hymns or tunes, that you are using or employing at your parish. If we were to measure our effectiveness based on that, we would all fail.

Brother A goes to St. John Doe, and loves Eagle's wings they play it all the time, Sister C just has to have her favorite tune Be Not Afraid, because they always do that over at St. Jane's. So they get together and say, oh our mother would have loved Eagles Wings, and Be Not Afraid, why not put those in there. Wait, Brother B chimes in with his selection from the protestant church he attends and has to have old rugged cross because mother would have loved that. See the point?
  • CharlesW
    I do see the point. I am DOM at a very beautiful Gothic church. People who have no recent connection, or never had any connection, to the parish want to use the building for funerals and a photo backdrop for weddings. I think we do too many of those, but my pastor is more charitable than I. I never know which nutty non-Catholic relative will show up and want who knows what at any funeral.
  • How about this selection; old mc donald had a farm, for a recessional. 6yr old died of leukemia and it was his favorite song. Pastor told my friend, you do it or he'll find someone that will. The guy is an excellent organist and dom, so I could never judge his effectiveness based on parameters like the above.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Has it occured to anyone that there are a spectrum of factors that have influenced the three or four living generations of pre and post concilior catholic culture besides the ritual purity and moral rightness undergirding the Church's Thought on these liturgical matters? What if Great-granny Mildred's most cherished musical memory from "church" wasn't singing the Dies Irae in her school's choir in a loft 75 years ago, but a constant re-hearing of hymns such as "Nearer my God, to Thee," "In the Garden," or or this great classic that were delivered by popular culture media such as televised Billy Graham crusades, movies, Christian radio and television shows, etc.? So, if you're fortunate enough to consult with a cogent Millie prior to her passing, are YOU going to have much success recreating Fr. Pasley's eloquent exegesis of the Dies Irae at the Salt Lake colloquium to her and her attendant family in order to persuade its singing as the Offertory at her "celebration of life" Mass? And good luck telling Mildred's daughter and grand-daughter that OEW sucks and you won't play it when they keel over either. The liturgy cannot be merely dealt with in the abstract. There are persons involved-both people and divine creatures, not the least of which is the Creator of all. And, of course, like Hallmark, when we want to send our greetings to Him, we want to send the very best. But that "very best" may not always be summarized tidily in elegant simplicity or ornate adornment. It may be a fingerprint of a cross in the dirt and clay, or scrawled on a napkin in a hurry, or in the inconvenient clank of coins into a collection basked amidst the bills and checks.
  • Not sure if this will help, since the book has not been released yet, but the forthcoming Campion Missal & Hymnal contains some very beautiful & rare hymns in English that could easily be used for funerals.
  • francis
    judas was also very concerned for the people, and he put their desires and wishes at the top of the list and then betrayed jesus with the kiss to smooth it over. jesus didn't buy it. the jews "bought" jesus, but it was judas that really paid the price. is it possible at some point we become a judas too when we will bend the will of the church to human leanings and just give jesus the proverbial kiss on the cheeck because "we know he will understand"?

i am already in fear of God for the foolish ignorance i once practiced at liturgies that were abominable. now that i know better, i cannot in good conscience blow God a kiss and play For Every Season Turn Turn and expect him to look the other way.
    Thanked by 1Jenny
  • We do it all the time, and not just in music. Also in the way we will treat others. As we have been reading the last few weeks in the readings, and over the course of the year, it is important to love one another, as Jesus has commanded us to. Sometimes this means making compromises that we would often desire not to do, but in being charitable and loving, we do them.

And please don't get me wrong, I am not saying, cave in and play things that are outright blasphemous, but compromising on playing Be Not Afraid, or Eagle's Wings, Nearer my God to thee, is probably hardly a kiss on the cheek.
  • francis
    love doesnt mean doing what anybody or everybody wants. could it be, perhaps it is the distorted definition of 'love' that has the church chasing its tail?

when my children wanted candy for dinner, it was love that made them eat meat and potatoes. only as adults are they now thanking me for being a good father.
  • I can count the times I've had to plan music for another organist on one finger, and he served in both Anglican and Jewish circles and his funeral Mass, while in a very tony Anglo-Catholic parish, was anything but formulaic. We have NO POWER without the support of our clergy. I am profoundly thankful to have earned the trust of my congregation and honor their requests when they make them, and when they don't make them, I am glad to give them a tasteful and beautiful funeral Mass I understand it, within their budget. This seems an ideal time to share Thomas Hardy's poem, "The Choirmaster's Burial," long a favorite of mine since I learned the Benjamin Britten setting of this text.

He often would ask us
    That, when he died,
    After playing so many
    To their last rest,
    If out of us any
    Should here abide,
    And it would not task us,
    We would with our lutes
    Play over him
    By his grave-brim
    The psalm he liked best—
    The one whose sense suits
    “Mount Ephraim”—
    And perhaps we should seem
    To him, in Death’s dream,
    Like the seraphim.

As soon as I knew
    That his spirit was gone
    I thought this his due,
    And spoke, thereupon.
    “I think,” said the vicar,
    “A read service quicker
    Than viols out-of-doors
    In these frosts and hoars.
    That old-fashioned way
    Requires a fine day,
    And it seems to me
    It had better not be.”

Hence, that afternoon,
    Though never knew he
    That his wish could not be,
    To get through it faster
    They buried the master
    Without any tune.

But ’twas said that, when
    At the dead of next night
    The vicar looked out,
    There struck on his ken
    Thronged roundabout,
    Where the frost was graying
    The headstoned grass,
    A band all in white
    Like the saints in church-glass,
    Singing and playing
    The ancient stave
    By the choirmaster’s grave.

Such the tenor man told
    When he had grown old.
    Thanked by 2Earl_Grey Kathy
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Francis, tell us you're not passive-aggressively associating musicians trying their best to be pastoral, and generally in very contentious times, that their attitudes and dispositions are thus deliberately aligned with Judas Iscariot. Can that be your intent? Really?
  • marajoymarajoy
    Judas was NOT "concerned for the people." As John 12:6 says, he pretended to care about the money being given to the poor because he was a thief! So, yes, feel free to come up with a better analogy for church musicians who don't think that "pastoral sensitivity" is ALWAYS a bad thing.
  • francis
    i am as pastoral as everyone else as i play the same pieces as you (oew, ag and hgta). i am simply challenging your thinking as how we (who know better and are charged with the task to guide the people) can steer them (such as Miacoyne's example above) and not just concede to play anything for the money under the guise of "pastoral sensitivity".

Marajoy:

Think again. I think Judas was very torn inside. He wanted Jesus to succeed, but on human terms. I think the parallel is appropriate to anyone who tries to follow Jesus. We must all be aware of the Judas that lurks in each of our own hearts and minds. Especially because we DO receive money for carrying out our services in the very name of God himself. Judas' most serious sin wasn't in being a thief, but in being deceitful.

May God spare us all from being deceived to lead others astray from the Church. ESPECIALLY when we think WE have the better solution in opposition to Holy Mother Church.
  • CharlesW
    when my children wanted candy for dinner, it was love that made them eat meat and potatoes. only as adults are they now thanking me for being a good father.

Right. And now they all have high cholesterol from the meat and type 2 diabetes from all the carbs.

...and not just concede to play anything for the money under the guise of "pastoral sensitivity".

The church contracts with a lady to play for funerals, since it is only this school year I am free in the daytime. What's all this about pay? The times I have played no one offered me a dime. One funeral I played for a while back was at the request of a lady whose son had committed suicide. She could barely cover his funeral expenses, and certainly had no money to pay me for playing. In that case, she needed the money more than I did. Would that everything were as exact and cut-and-dried as some would like it to be.

• melofluentmelofluent
    Francis, don't speak, please, as if you know "what I do" on my behalf, as you don't know. That is not germane to the subject matter you're raising, and really, you didn't address the concern thrown down with your gauntlet as of yet. And, if possible, try not to lecture others about their presumed practices or conduct based upon your or anyone else's notion of what constitutes pastoral efficiency. I happen to subscribe to the one articulated back in 2005 by a wonderful musician whose presence I miss in these forums, Jason Pennington, a treatise on true pastoral effectiveness that he penned just before unjustly getting sacked. Let's just stick to illustrating our own positions.
  • francis
    CharlesW

God likes meat and potatoes! Just don't over do it, friend!

10 11 And he saw the heaven opened and a certain vessel descending, as it were a great linen sheet let down by the four corners from heaven to the earth:
    10 12 Wherein were all manner of four-footed beasts and creeping things of the earth and fowls of the air.
    10 13 And there came a voice to him: Arise, Peter. Kill and eat.
    10 14 But Peter said: Far be it from me. For I never did eat any thing that is common and unclean.
    10 15 And the voice spoke to him again the second time: That which God hath cleansed, do not thou call common.

I also don't charge a fee for funerals.
  • TCJ
    If someone requested a piece of music that wasn't appropriate, I would gently tell them in as simple a way as possible that it wasn't a good idea. The typical reaction was a "Oh, I didn't know that. Alright, I'll think of something else." Only once did I meet with hostility and that was from a nun who felt the need to report me to the diocese. I feel flattered that I was deemed important enough that she decided to call the ODW on me!
  • CharlesW
    Francis, people are at their most vulnerable when planning a funeral. There are exceptions, to be sure, like the Evangelical minister who didn't get to preach salvation to us Catholics at his relative's funeral. He was hot about that. I try to be as charitable as I can, and don't go to extremes to make points about church music. Not a good time for that.
  • francis
    tcj

i cannot recount on this board what i have encountered, although i can say the beatles and other similar music are often asked of me.
  • francis
    charles

i totally agree. i never tell people what they can and can't have in terms of funeral music. i DO, however, think this forum is an appropriate place to educate musicians on steering people in the right direction.

melofluent

i haven't commented on anyone's position here. just stating what i have seen and experienced from my own jobs as a dom. if something is resonating with you, that's your business. i simply state what i see.

Mark

here's another poem from another perspective:

The Mass of Ressurection
    (what used to be known as 'Requiem')

"One more time!"
    the cry so dreaded came
    and charged me with the task to play
    their favorite hymns again.

"We want you to tickle our ears -
    With songs, "we are always 'loved'",
    because God would NEVER tell us
    we've been banned from heaven above."

So I mounted the bench once more
    as the "eagles soared" in vain
    as sadly I watched the angels flee
    covering their ears in pain.

Copyright 2012 Francis Koerber
    please distribute widely
  • TCJ
    What hymn tune is that to? Have you got one in mind?
  • CharlesW
    Francis, we are in agreement on funeral music. Who holds the copyright to that poem? I want to share this one. It's good.
  • francis
    me... wrote it after i read marks. please distribute widely.

tcj

how about "be kind to your web footed friends"
    (new tune name: SOARING EAGLES)

wo-O-o-o-o-one more time!
    the-e cry so-o dre-ea-ded ca-ame
    and Charged me with The task to Play
    The-eir Fa-a-a-a-vrite hymns a-Gain!

etc.
  • I'd suggest keeping your day job.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    i am as pastoral as everyone else as i play the same pieces as you, (oew, ag and hgta). i am simply challenging your thinking as how we (who know better and are charged with the task to guide the people) can steer them (such as Miacoyne's example above) and not just concede to play anything for the money under the guise of "pastoral sensitivity".

Those were your words, francis. And they were uttered in close proximity to a simple observation in which the word "pastoral" was used in a response of mine. One of us is either imprecise with our deductive reasoning, or imprecise with our presumptions. "I" don't offer to do OEW, AG or HGTA. I listen and I do advise toward the more nobler options. I don't concede because of "filthy lucre" as implied clearly in the above. Either own your words, or clarify them before pushing the comment button. Enough of this silly pretense. Condemn away, if that floats your boat.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • GavinGavin
    To explain my prior comments a bit, I don't intend to offer judgment against those who receive tasteless requests. But it seems to me that someone comes with requests based on what they think is appropriate for Mass. Of course there's always visitors, but if someone from your own church thinks that Beatles music is appropriate for a funeral, I'd wonder where they're getting that idea.
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • Snarly on the board today. Must be the terrible calls in yesterdays games.

Nothing surprises me anymore with funeral requests. We try to steer the grieving family into the music that is appropriate for the parish. Fitting for the liturgy.

To be honest, it is up to the Pastor to really implement and enforce policy in these cases. Not very fair for the DM to be on his own in these instances. Our choir has a standard "lineup" for funerals when asked to sing. (The requiem is always at the ready should there be a desire)
    Otherwise the Pastor has a no-fly list that is simply known and stuck to when other musicians visit the parish for a funeral and we leave it to the secretary to communicate. Requests that we don't like usually find there way as strange organ preludes before the Mass. (unless they are completely foul then the get the gentle smile but no policy)

Gavin wondered into gnarly territory with his comment about "...requesting bad music and you only have yourself to blame..."
    Well, I think he has a point but it is all of us in the Church to blame.

We try in our little outposts to educate and lead by example for the liturgy, but most people either don't care or have been drinking the whatever Kool-aid for a very long time. I've had requests for "Ghost Riders in the Sky" "Silent Night" and "O Mio babbino caro" to name but a few. We can't erase years of oblivion overnight. Lots of damage has been done. And by our sins... we share in this responsibility.

I suppose if your parish is really small and you live in a small town, you stand a chance to turn it all around with your Pastor, but if you are a city dweller.... Kool-aid is in abundance.
    Thanked by 2Gavin BruceL
  • francis
    melofluent

Forgive me if I have personally offended you in some way. Not my intent in the least. In my passion to help the cause of sacred music I can often seem teutonic. Mea culpa.

I am glad that "you" personally aren't required to play the usual songs at funerals. The rest of us "yous" out here (including myself) struggle with this issue day in and day out. I am constantly looking for ways out of the forest of confusion which often gets cloaked in the explosive term "pastoral sensitivity". It's a fine line AND a line that is always moving back and forth.

Unfortunately, ps often becomes the excuse to do whatever one feels or thinks is appropriate for the liturgical moment soley based on personalities involved. This includes priests, musicians and people planning a funeral liturgy.

So what I am saying is that ps shouldn't be the guiding principle in planning music for any liturgy, funeral or feast. We need to recapture a standard that respects the rite of the church and if we just keep chugging along, nothing will change.

I use the money image because it represents the status quo. A lot of us don't literally play funerals for money, so I am more trying to zone in onthe status quo. I am just as much caught in the 'funeral machine' as anyone else. It's a sad sad state that we have come to as MPholland^ says so well.

Hoping we can begin somehow to pour the koolaid down the drain,

fk
  • melofluentmelofluent
    PM, my last word on the subject of this thred in which you make some cogent observations. How is it that anyone of us can be so sure to utter, out loud, "And by our sins....we share in this responsibility" within the realm of providing our artistic talents, meant if nothing else for relief and comfort (don't anyone bother to look down the mountain as if Moses holding the decalogue), that we have commissioned our own condemnation. We are bordering upon irrationality with such fundamentalism. Lest we become Taliban...

francis, we are not just chugging along, we are under the guidance of the Paraclete 24/7 if we have ears to hear. Change? We cannot effect "change" in the wide sense you imply. We don't harden our hearts, hear what we are called to, do what we can in our own domains, and offer the rest up. I know what you're are saying. That, however, cannot be construed as the ineffable "mind of the Church." Sorry.
    "Last word" means last word.

francis, if you know and tell all as well as flatter yourself with declaring we're "beyond the emotional kneejerks," why should you care when and where I bow out this ridiculous diatribe? "Hard questions?" Only in your opinion. Don't respond, francis, we're done here.
  • francis
    Melofluent,

"what" exactly are you saying is "not" the mind of the church? be specific please. or better, what do you think IS!?
  • francis
    Mark

I have had many 'day jobs', thank you. Most of them just paid the bills and not much more. The best I can say about my day jobs is that they fed and grew my family well in the faith, so for that I am grateful.

For the cause of sacred music, well, I eat, live and breathe this stuff! It's a calling and a ministry to Christ and His church and I (and many of us here) take it very seriously.
  • It makes things even more dificult when the request is presented as a dying wish. One such, example: Hang on Sloopey.

And no, I didn't agree to play it, and no they never heard it at Mass on Sunday.
  • CharlesW
    My worst was, "Brighten the Corner Where You Are." The widow maintained it was her husband's favorite. I couldn't do it, of course. Couldn't play it to begin with.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Churches should offer workshops that combine end-of-life planning, Estate Planning information, hospice and LTC info, spiritual practices for those approaching death, and information about planning funerals. These should be given about once a quarter and advertised heavily, especially in parishes with a large elderly population (not that old people are the only ones who die, but they do seem more apt to do so). Guest speakers could include Estate Planning attorneys, financial planners, hospice nurses, spiritual directors, and so forth, along with the pastor and the music director.

Additionally, the MD and/or pastor should approach those in the congregation they know to be "traditionalists" and see if they'll agree (ahead of time) to a traditional Requiem mass. If this is done enough, you might be able to start assuming that at least a percentage of your funerals over the next several years will be "the real deal."

Right after someone has just died is not the best time to teach mourners about good liturgy.
    Thanked by 2BruceL Andrew Motyka
  • francis
    melofluent

we are just digging into the meat of this thread now that we are beyond the emotional knee jerks. are you really bowing out when the hard q&a's are hitting the table?
  • francis
    melofluent said
    francis, if you know and tell all as well as flatter yourself with declaring we're "beyond the emotional kneejerks," why should you care when and where I bow out this ridiculous diatribe?

1. because i really do care. that is why i am
    2. trying to understand your position
    3. it's not a rediculous diatribe, so don't lessen the weight of the content by blowing it off with explosive descriptives. It's a very important discussion on a problem topic that hits a very emotional spot for everyone.
    "Hard questions?" Only in your opinion. Don't respond, francis, we're done here.

I don't get an opinion? But you do? And I can only speak now if you allow?
  • francis
    Melofluent,

I really want to know your mind...

"what" exactly are you saying is "not" the mind of the church? be specific please. or better, what do you think IS!?
  • My suggestion is have a selection of hymns and other suitable music ready to go. Funerals often have to be prepared for at only a few days notice and tell them that you cannot learn new music at such short notice and hope to do a decent job of it.

There are lots of suitable funeral hymns out there. One particular hymn which I hold close to my heart is "Abide With Me", which is also a Compline Hymn.

A couple of pieces which can be played as instrumentals include Thaxted and Mozart's Ave Verum Corpus, which I have both as manuals-only scores (very handy when you could be playing on an organ one day and on an electric piano with an organ sound the next).

It is harder to do this for weddings since they often plan months in advance
  • Gavin,

When one reaches 70 as I did last month, 29 indeed seems but a couple of steps beyond infancy. From my vantage, the 20s decade is also seen as the time when we make our biggest blunders, whether it be selecting the wrong person as a mate, taking an unfruitful career course, or just misevaluating personal capabilities and self-worth. I was certainly guilty on all counts.

While you have some justification in objecting to my linking your youth with what I consider injudicious comments that greatly oversimplify a music director’s capacity to alter deeply engrained cultural habits, your response only confirms my reason for doing so. If my fluff ball jab got your nose so out of joint, what will a real body blow do? (Say a bad newspaper concert review, a doctoral thesis advisor who tells you your last two years of work has been in vain, or - the grandaddy of them all - when your true love tells you to take a hike.)

Look, your forum posts often reveal an admirable acuity of mind with great potential. It’s the sort of thing that gives old codgers like me confidence to pass on the torch. But making the most of this promise means learning to curb impetuosity. In short, I think you overreacted.

That being said, I will nonetheless delete my previous comment.
  • BruceL
    As Adam Wood and others have posited above, is not the state of funeral music our doing as a Church? Does every organist/director of music put his all into every funeral? Do priests always see every funeral as a soul in their care leaving this world? I don't think so.

It is also representative of failures of catechesis, preaching, etc. Ultimately, it is the pastor's responsibility to implement a coherent and logical funeral policy. The best way to do this is to make it clear that the funeral Mass is a Mass like any other parish Mass. Of course, this would require teaching about the Liturgy on a regular basis in preaching, articles, etc. This seldom, if ever, happens most places. So, how could we expect anyone who picks awful music to know that their funeral Mass (or that of their loved ones) isn't a Burger King-style "Your way, right away" life experience?

I have found some priests actively prevent musicians from talking to families about music for the liturgy; they think ANY effort to educate and guide, even sensitively, in the case of a funeral is going to offend the family and be bad. With that attitude, how can any progress be made?

Regarding rep and the occasion I do have to speak directly to a family: I first ask about ideas they have, and why. I always encourage "bad music" at the wake. I try to push at least for scriptural texts at Mass, but that is often difficult, and be assured that the priests will not support you in this situation. It's unfortunate, but usually true.

The cardinal rule, though, is this: just because you hear "bad music" at a church doesn't mean that the musician is bad, the parish is bad, etc., etc. There are just so many mitigating factors in Catholic life now, many of which are the fault of a lack of leadership from the top. As I write this, there is construction going on in the church I work for WHILE THE BLESSED SACRAMENT IS EXPOSED FOR PRAYER. What a crazy world we live in!
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    "There's man all over... blaming on his shoes the faults of his feet."

"Try. Fail. Try again. Fail Again. Fail better."

(both from "Waiting for Godot," Samuel Becket)
  • Randolph, I don't believe you said anything out of line, why should you relent and remove your comments? Nothing you said struck my as out of line. As young musicians (myself included), can tend to take things to heart, whereas the wisdom of those that have gone through this before us, is of great value!

The mere fact that we should judge any DOM/Organist on just the effectiveness of funeral selections, is a scary thought. As others have suggested, there are so many other mitigating factors, and this is not just in the case of funerals, but in weddings, daily, and weekend masses. Why should we blame the DOM/Organist for all the blunders and things that occur? How many times has each one of us, been asked to do things in our jobs that we don't particularily like or enjoy? How many times has a pastor told us, just do it, or I'll find someone that will? Should we measure the DOM's effectiveness based on those mitigating factors? If that were the case, we would all be in jeopardy and fail.

I can't count on my hands how many times I have been asked (in a more directive way) to do music that I feel is not appropriate for mass. Are you going to go to your boss and say, nope, I am not doing that? Are you going to battle the family of a deceased about their selections for mass? You might if you don't mind the possibility of waiting in an employment line. All too often, I have seen friends that did just as some on here might suggest, stand up, take charge, and as they did that, they are now seeking employment elsewhere.
  • Another blown call last night?... As a Seahawks fan, should I really cheer?

melofluent,
    Fallen nature, we all suffer from the fall of Adam. We all share in the imperfections of the world. We inherit all of this and must make the most and find holiness. We should make reparation and appeal to our Blessed Mother, but never should be wonder if we have anyone other than our own sinful selves to blame for the struggles of our life. But let those struggles be the opportunity to practice virtue and holiness.

Not the opportunity to strap TNT to ourselves and charge into a public place Taliban style. No Taliban here, melofluent.

So, we tackle the issue of the grieving family and poor taste or lack of knowledge about the meaning of a Christian funeral. Let it be a reminder of how we should live our lives and what work needs to be done within our own Parish where we have some sphere of influence.
    Thanked by 1francis