where does the cantor sing??
  • As many of you on the message board saw I recently was able to play a pipe organ in the old loft of my church that hasn't been played in the last 15 years. The former pastor told the congregation that the pipe organ was broke and had a "organ builder" appraise the repair at half a million dollars.

Well since I've been able to get it started again and was playing it on Monday. I am going to start using it way more now!!

Where is the cantor suppose to sing at?? My thought is for regular masses to have the cantor on the altar and I will be in the loft. Now one of the issues I've never had to deal with before is acoustic delay. There is a bout a half a mill-a-second delay from when I play a note to when the cantor hears it. So that means I would have to be faster then her with my playing to match up??

I'm thinking with funerals to have the cantor sing the entrance hymn and all the way through the Alleluia and then go up into the loft and join me up there for the rest of the liturgy. Does that sound like a good idea?? I have fellow organ instructs who use that method and it seems to work for them!!

I've attached a picture from the altar of what the organ looks like from there. I'm sitting in the third story choir loft! :-) How cool!!!

Thoughts from fellow cantors and music directors are welcome and appreciated!!

Thanks!
    960 x 720 - 113K
  • CharlesW
    I keep cantors in the loft, period. I don't want the disconnect and time-delay from being a half city block away from them during mass. Also, I don't want them performing on the altar, which is always a temptation when in front of an audience. Now I know, the document chuckers will begin rambling about cantors in front. What I do works for me and the building, and is the best solution. Remember that the documents actually say, "or another suitable place." May the document chuckers have large tomes fall on them. ;-) What you need do is to determine what works best for you and your congregation, then get your pastor's approval.
    Thanked by 2francis tomboysuze
  • donr
    First off I would put the cantor back by you in the loft. If that is not possible due to pushback from the pastor, I believe it is a mistake to match your playing to the cantor. You need to play your instrument and learn to ignore the cantor.
    The cantor will hear you a 1/2 sec after you play, so does most the congregation. Then you will hear a delay from the cantor or audio system. Providing almost a full sec for you to hear the sound back. This causes many untrained ears to slow down.

Just play and let them sing it when they hear it. Ignore what you hear back.
  • BenBen
    I would just keep the cantor in the loft if at all possible. There is no real reason to put them down front. Either the people sing or they don't, having a singer looking like a football ref watching a touchdown doesn't really help.

If you must have them in the front, I would not have them do any sort of gestures. Musical cues (such as a pedal note before the first note in some cases) should be more than adequate.
  • I've always referred to this kind of cantoring as "landing a c-130."

Perhaps someone has an old picture from "Raise your hand, raise your hand if your Sure."?

Cantors belong in a choir loft, with no microphonification, so that they can face God, rather than thinking that they are, or should be, the center of attention.
  • BenBen
    Another advantage to being in the loft: you're up higher, so you naturally need less amplification already.
  • SalieriSalieri
    My cantors always sing from the loft because they do what cantors are realy intended to do : intone the chants of the proper and ordinary. The only time a cantor sings from the sanctuary is when he sings the Praeconium Paschale, at which point said cantor (always a man) is vested.
  • We can't preach following documents about chant having pride of place and the use of the propers, etc. and then ignore those said documents when we feel that doing the opposite of what they say is more pious.

Cantors, normally, belong in the front. Of course there are exceptions, which are what you have to weigh. But it is NORMATIVE for them to be in the front.

And, really, the "landing a plane" jokes have run their course. There is nothing wrong with a concise, succient gesture, along with artful organ playing, to bring a congregation in at the right time and help them feel secure in coming in.

My parish uses the propers, many times in latin from the Graduale Romanum. We have people who receive communion kneeling and on the tongue. We sing motets by Byrd, Palestrina, and di Lasso. We use chant a LOT for both choral and congregational singing. And, yes, our cantors do often make a gesture to invite the congregation to sing. The absence of such a gesture is not more conservative, faithful, orthodox, or any other such thing.
  • CharlesW
    Who is ignoring anything? Said documents say, "Or another suitable place." I am using the other suitable place, which works better for our building layout, acoustics, and construction.
    Thanked by 2francis Gavin
  • TCJ
    Keep them in the loft. Traffic directors are out of style.
  • chonakchonak
    Agreed:
    There is nothing wrong with a concise, succinct gesture, along with artful organ playing, to bring a congregation in at the right time and help them feel secure in coming in.

Along with concise and succinct, I'd add another qualifier:
    * conventional; that is: based on conventional conducting gestures
  • donr
    -PaixGioiaAmor I agree with you we need to follow all the the documents and CharlesW your using the same argument that we usually use against the singing of P&W music because its the fourth option and Chant is the first.

I personally feel that after Vat 2 it made sense to have a cantor at the front because the church was trying to get everyone to sing in places that they were not singing previously. Therefore it may have made sense. The whole idea of encouraging people to sing seemed to be what everyone was supposed to do. It probably is not needed any longer. Most of the cantors we use in our church do cante at the Ambo but most are shy and would rather sing in the loft.

Then there is the latency issue that I mentioned on several threads. In larger churches were there is a delay. No one knows where to come in and music tends to slow because the organist is hearing the cantor a few milliseconds after the cantor sings it.

In small churches or in churches where people are not singing. A cantor should be used to help encourage but once everyone is participating on a regular basis they should back off and the congregation sing.
  • BenBen
    PGA,

But we must not read the GIRM in a vacuum. Except these past 50 experimental years, In the long tradition of the church, the cantor is always in back. That's enough for me.
    Thanked by 2donr Salieri
  • Right now, my cantor is right up on the altar with me (well, to the right to be exact), but once the new church is built (with a loft), they will be up there with me. My main concern is, and always will be, the entertainment mentality of singers and/or musicians. The loft is a GREAT place to inhibit that.
    Thanked by 2francis Salieri
  • If you have a distance problem, maybe you need another organ up front.
  • GavinGavin
    "But we must not read the GIRM in a vacuum."

But you do have to actually read it.
  • Cantors don't belong up front, except in the sense that when they proclaim the Gradual/Tract-psalm, they could logically do this from the same place as the proclamation of the Epistle. Since they're not ordained, or directly involved in service at the altar, they don't ordinarily belong inside the altar rail. Oh, but we got rid of those. Is that in Vatican 2? Or any Magisterial document?

We've learned hopefully from nearly 50 years of experience that when we make the PERSONALITY of the priest the most important part of the celebration of Mass, Father feels the need to entertain, to put himself in the way of the Mass. The same is doubly so for cantors: they should focus on the role they have in the liturgy, which is vocal or choral, not managerial. Even when they are "up front", as it were, they should indicate with their voices, not their hands, when the congregation might sing the antiphon. What can't be done by musical cues probably shouldn't be sung at the liturgy.
  • Whilst it is proper for the responsorial psalm to be sung from the same place that the readings are done, for reasons of practicality it is often preferable to have the psalm sung from close to the organ, which usually means in the gallery or loft where the organ is situated. This is so the organist, who typically accompanies can hear what is being sung and can accompany better.

It really boils down to a matter of practicality. Everything in the church has a practical origin. We don't have traditions for the mere sake of having traditions!
    Thanked by 1ryand
  • WendiWendi
    Forgive my ignorance...what part of the GIRM talks about the cantor being up front?

This is not snark by the way...I'm asking a serious question because I don't remember reading that. Which just means that my memory is faulty...because I'm sure it's there or people wouldn't be talking about it.
  • It is not proper for the resp psalm to be sung from the same place as readings, it is permitted. The permission is a relaxation of the rule that only the Gospel is to be sung/read from the pulpit. The usual place for the psalm to be sung is from the steps, hence the name Gradual. The tradition is not so that the organist can be with the psalm singer, since the psalm was often sung unaccompanied - like the readings and gospel - but that there was a movement - reading of epistle on opposite side at lower level - gradual psalm on the steps - and then gospel in the higher pulpit.

Modern practice, call ti an Ambo and let everything happen there. Who can explain why this happened and is better? How has it improved the mass?
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • canadashcanadash
    Noel: I had no idea about this! What great information! Thanks.
  • francis
    fnj

yes that is very informative. so much of our tradition is lost.
  • "Traditional Responsorial psalm" is oxymoronic, like "military intelligence", "pro-choice Catholic" and "jumbo shrimp". The problem of where to sing the Responsorial psalm only becomes an issue after the invention of the animal in the first place.

Noel is quite right, but he should probably add that the singing of these things was done, in the first place, by clerics. Our reference point should be a solemn high Mass according to the 1962 rubrics. There is no "lay" reader. The epistle, Gradual (etc) were sung, by 1962, either by clergy or by choir, which faced God, because the Mass was theocentric and understood to be so by everyone who wasn't being intentionally dense.

Now, even though the Mass is still theocentric, many people have the impression that it is anthropocentric, and so the turning to the people and such gestures as indicate that we "welcome our presider" and "all sing ...." follow from that perspective, not from that which is intrinsic to the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass.

• Women in the sanctuary during Mass? Never. Laymen in the sanctuary at Mass not serving? Never. A person, other than the priest, touching a Host? Never.

When I first saw lay people distributing communion, I was shocked. When I saw high school kids distributing communion at the high school I was deeply saddened.

There is something very wrong about this. There was a circle, We confessed to the priest. We tried to live better. Then we confessed to the priest again. We had to be in a state of grace to receive communion. If we were not we stayed in the pew, not being soloed out for this since with the requirement of fasting from midnight, it was easy to forget and eat something...

Now we are faced with people we like and do not like, reading and singing from the Ambo. People who sing and read because they want to, unlike the priest who says Mass because it is his life.

• Being a former MP I couldn't resist....sorry! Of course during limited visibility conditions (think Easter Vigil) this fellow would have flashlights with those lighted cone tips.

I am going to move our cantors and choir to the choirloft. The only thing holding it up is having to re-wire the sound system on the digital organ. In one of our churches I would like to return the choir stalls to the chancel and put the cantor there (along with the rest of the schola) and have them in cassock and cotta. But it all costs money. Right now everyone sings from a "bandstand" that was erected by one of my predecessors at the site of the former Lady Altar (north side). I've not been able to find that arrangement in any documents.... All of these are the result of different applications of practicality, aesthetics and budgets.
    376 x 525 - 20K
  • Where should the liturgical dancers perform? I can't seem to find any mention in the documents. ;)
    Thanked by 1tomboysuze
  • One should also note that scholas/choirs consisting of men only or men and boys are permitted in the chancel. Choirs with women/girls must sing from some other suitable place.

I need to find the reference, but I believe that the correct practice is still to have the readings and psalm/gradual read from one place and teh Gospel proclaimed from a separate place. Provision was made that all could be read from the one place (for example very small chapels) but this has become the norm when it shouldn't be (a familiar phrase in post-conciliar churches).

• canadashcanadash
    Women in the sanctuary during Mass? Never. Laymen in the sanctuary at Mass not serving?

I'm beginning to wrap my head around this statement. I never grew up this way. It is very foreign to me, so please bear with me. Because I attend/provide music for an OF Mass with women/laymen on the altar and lectors reading readings from the Ambo my opinion (and it's just that, based on my knowledge, which sadly, is lacking) is that the cantor should be at the back except for when he/she sings the psalm, at which point the cantor moves to the ambo for the psalm and Alleluia. Father has asked us not to use gestures to invite the congregation to respond. At first I wasn't sure about this, but now I see that it works, because hand gestures aren't used at any of the other parts of the Mass, where the congregation is to respond. When I see this done at other Masses, it seems out of place to me. Just my two cents.

By the way, your church is amazing! Wow! What a spectacular building. I am so jealous.
  • CharlesW
    I wouldn't want my choir in the front. They are too badly behaved and would draw too much attention to themselves. It's good they are in the back. That is where the cantor is staying, as long as I have anything to do with it.
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • Wendi: GIRM # 61 says the cantor sings the psalm at the ambo "or another suitable place." GIRM # 309 covers everything that's done at the ambo.
  • Soooo ... much like the Introit is mentioned as the first, and it can be assumed, preferred option of the four options for the Entrance Chant, it is hardly a stretch to see that the ambo is the preferred place for the psalm and that some other "suitable place" is a second, and therefore less preferred choice.

Say the black. Do the red.

And there is nothing "experimental" about the GIRM. It is the NORM.
  • CharlesW
    I am of the opinion that the construct of giving any one of the four options priority is little more than wishful thinking. It seems to me that any one of the four meets the intent of the rules. I may like one or more of them better, and they may fit more into my own scheme of how things should be. I don't think, however, that is what the bishops had in mind when they wrote them. It also seems to me that there is far too much of an, "I'm right and you are all wrong," attitude on this forum. I propose a half-way house for neo-scholastics and nitpickers, to help them get over it. Somehow, I don't think all the parsing, dissecting, and hair splitting was ever the intent behind GIRM. Its purpose was to help establish some norms for liturgy, not hinder or encumber it. Certainly, the intent was not to provide fuel for endless disputation.
  • Let's not forget that the "choir loft" is a modern invention by Church standards, is it not? The only approved document I have ever seen mention this is "De musica sacra et sacra liturgia" III-4 no. 67: The organ should be located in a suitable place near the main altar, unless ancient custom or special reason approved by the local Ordinary demand otherwise; but the location should be such that the singers or musicians occupying a raised platform are not conspicuous to the congregation in the main body of the church"

St. Sulpice in Paris comes to mind...

I personally would have the Cantor up front for the Psalm and Alleluia and that's it.
  • GavinGavin
    The primary concern for me is musical, in this case, and that means having three cantor by me. Liturgically, I see the validity and agree that it's ideal to have the cantor up front. But it takes preference that he and I can do the communication necessary for an effective musical product.
  • aldrich
    Most of the time, our cantors are in the choir loft, but there are times, especially when the organist and the rest of the choir are away, the schola sits in the first pews and then gathers at the centre of the nave just outside the Communion rail (the architecture of the sanctuary does not provide a suitable space for the liturgical choir) when it is time to chant. We do this vested in cassock and surplice.
  • Wendi has a point, I think: does "ambo or another suitable place" actually refer to the cantor or to the more inclusive term psalmist? If a nonsinger is going to read the psalm then it makes sense to specify the ambo as a kind of fourth (or maybe fifth) option for the gradual.

I've heard that in Anglo-catholic circles around 1900 there was consternation in some quarters over the invasion of the chancel by robed but unordained choristers quitting the quire-lofts, and assume the "visibly part of the faithful" language could be read in that context. I certainly don't know that 'versus populum' is actually normative for the cantor. The old GIRM seems to have disappeared, but 2010 says:

The Place for the Schola Cantorum and the Musical Instruments

312. The schola cantorum (choir) should be so positioned with respect to the arrangement of each church that its nature may be clearly evident, namely as part of the assembled community of the faithful undertaking a specific function. The positioning should also help the choir to exercise this function more easily and allow each choir member full sacramental participation in the Mass in a convenient manner.

Thanked by 1Gavin
  • If the cantor is chanting the Responsorial Psalm, this should be done from the Ambo, since it is the appropriate place for it to be done. That's just my two-cents.

Here is the reference from the GIRM:

From the ambo only the readings, the Responsorial Psalm, and the Easter Proclamation (Exsultet) are to be proclaimed; likewise it may be used for giving the Homily and for announcing the intentions of the Universal Prayer.

I hope this helps.
    Thanked by 2canadash Gavin
  • francis
    is there an INAPPROPRIATE place to chant the psalm? the cry room maybe?
    Thanked by 2Adam Wood Gavin
  • What is going to help the people sing best? If you can get one in the front AND one in the back, that helps immensely. When I cantored at Saint Mary's Cathedral in Miami, the delay was overcome by the choirmaster clearly conducting the hymns from the back and I would follow her by sight, trying to bi-pass the sound delay. Our practice is to have the cantor in front for the Liturgy of the Word, and then leave after the Gospel is proclaimed to join me in the loft. We also vest in cassock and surplice, which, sadly, is forbidden in SING TO THE LORD (thank God my pastor just rolled his eyes on that paragraph). So much for the common priesthood of the baptised! BTW- Gorgeous church!
  • WendiWendi
    Thank you all those who answered my question.

• Adam WoodAdam Wood
    >> We also vest in cassock and surplice, which, sadly, is forbidden in SING TO THE LORD

STL != force of law
    Thanked by 1Ben
  • CharlesW
    Sing to the Lord is so awful even the pages wouldn't burn.
  • donr
    the delay was overcome by the choirmaster clearly conducting the hymns from the back and I would follow her by sight, trying to bi-pass the sound delay.

The problem with this is that you will be singing the in front of the sound of the organ. The celebrant and pips will be hearing you first and then the organ. The organist and CM and choir will still hear you a little late. This will split the difference of the delay but will still sound awkward. It is best to sing when the sound is heard, the organist will just have to play at the tempo he/she started with and ignore the delay.
    Thanked by 1francis
  • SalieriSalieri
    Just as a Devil's Advocate, what about this?

St. Pius X, Motu Proprio, Tra le sollicitudine :

V. The singers
    12. With the exception of the melodies proper to the celebrant at the altar and to the ministers, which must be always sung in Gregorian Chant, and without accompaniment of the organ, all the rest of the liturgical chant belongs to the choir of levites, and, therefore, singers in the church, even when they are laymen, are really taking the place of the ecclesiastical choir. Hence the music rendered by them must, at least for the greater part, retain the character of choral music.

By this it is not to be understood that solos are entirely excluded. But solo singing should never predominate to such an extent as to have the greater part of the liturgical chant executed in that manner; the solo phrase should have the character or hint of a melodic projection (spunto), and be strictly bound up with the rest of the choral composition.

13. On the same principle it follows that singers in church have a real liturgical office, and that therefore women, being incapable of exercising such office, cannot be admitted to form part of the choir. Whenever, then, it is desired to employ the acute voices of sopranos and contraltos, these parts must be taken by boys, according to the most ancient usage of the Church.

14. Finally, only men of known piety and probity of life are to be admitted to form part of the choir of a church, and these men should by their modest and devout bearing during the liturgical functions show that they are worthy of the holy office they exercise. It will also be fitting that singers while singing in church wear the ecclesiastical habit and surplice, and that they be hidden behind gratings when the choir is excessively open to the public gaze.
  • Tra Le Sollectudini was issued in 1903. Musicae Sacrae in 1958 had a few different things to say, and so did Musicam Sacram in 1967.
  • canadashcanadash
    Salieri, if we were to follow the "Motu Proprio, Tra le sollicitudine" there would be no choir/music at our parish.
  • CharlesW
    I see little practical use in dragging out those old documents. They are of historical interest, but have little to do with current regulations and current climates in which we work. Perhaps they are nostalgia for, "The Good Old Days," so if they comfort you, get what joy you can out of them. They don't represent the real world or current liturgy any more.
    Thanked by 2Spriggo canadash
  • WendiWendi
    IMO in the trenches of parish life, it is quite difficult enough to get those in charge to follow the current norms in the GIRM without bringing in documents that have been superseded.

Some people may not LIKE the fact that women are now permitted to sing in choir, but the fact is, that they are permitted.

Muddying the waters or playing "devils advocate" does nothing to advance the restoration of sacred music.

It is in fact counterproductive.
  • BenBen
    It's not that women can't sing in the choir, it's that they can't sing "in choir" (ie, the choir in the sanctuary).
  • SalieriSalieri
    Q.E.D.

canadash : If I were to follow "Tra le Sollicitudine" at my parish there'd be no music at Mass either.

When proclaiming a text, such as the Easter Proclamation or the Responsorial psalm, it makes sense to have the cantor in the chancel; when singing Schubert's 'Ave' at a wedding, the cantor should be in the choir area, whatever that may be in a particular church. When the cantor intones the Introit, s/he should be in the choir area with the schola.

The rubrics allow, for musical and accoustical reasons, the choir/cantors to sing from areas other than the loft; in some churches one place is accoustically better than the same place in another church. IMO, I don't think that in this instance the "other suitable place" is analogous with the four options of the entrance chant, for example.

Please forgive me, but I think this whole cantor thing is a moot point. I can prove that we need all male, vested choirs a la King's by "Tra le sollicitudine", another person can prove that musicians should be in the loft by "musicae sacrae", someone else can prove that the choir and cantors need to be visible to the 'assembly' by quoting "Sing to the Lord". This is a small matter, let's all agree that there is a certain lattitude here (true liberalism), and move on.
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • BenBen
    "Please forgive me, but I think this whole cantor thing is a moot point. I can prove that we need all male, vested choirs a la King's by "Tra le sollicitudine", another person can prove that musicians should be in the loft by "musicae sacrae", someone else can prove that the choir and cantors need to be visible to the 'assembly' by quoting "Sing to the Lord". This is a small matter, let's all agree that there is a certain lattitude here (true liberalism), and move on."

These aren't necessarily contradictory. If it's a male choir, they may be in the sanctuary. If it's a mixed choir, they may not, but should be in the loft. Sing to the Lord is not authoritative, so we can more or less ignore that.