where does the cantor sing??
  • CharlesW
    I couldn't put a choir in the sanctuary even if they were oompa loompas and Vatican documents out the wazoo allowed them to be there. There is no room for a choir. The transept on either side is where I put them when the loft was being painted and the Great division pipes had to be removed for the painters. I wouldn't do any gender checking on oompa loompas. They can be nasty little beasts when provoked.
  • GavinGavin
    "This is a small matter, let's all agree that there is a certain lattitude here (true liberalism), and move on."

Sounds good to me.
    Thanked by 1ryand
  • Adam, Sing to the Lord is only binding when it cites the authoritative documents of the Holy See and anything that bears the recognitio of the CDWDS. Other than that, it is more along the lines of suggestion and not policy.
  • donr
    Here is some more info from the RM-3ed about the Ambo that I didn't know.
    From the ambo only the readings, the Responsorial Psalm, and the Easter Proclamation (Exsultet) are to be proclaimed; likewise it may be used for giving the Homily and for announcing the intentions of the Universal Prayer. The dignity of the ambo requires that only a minister of the word should stand at it
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    bg:

There is no need to continually rehearse your STL argument. We all know.
    The construct " != " signifies "is not equal to".
    Thanked by 2ContraBombarde ryand
  • francis
    thank you adam for the clarification... i was also confused on that one.
  • marajoymarajoy
    Just to suggest an alternative, I think =/= causes less confusion. (I had no idea when I saw != the first time.)
    Thanked by 1Ben
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Another common notation for "is not equal to" is "<>" although "=/=" is probably a little more common.
  • francis
    I think the best way to say it is in plain english. STtL does not carry force of law. (although some of what is in STtl have reversed or radically altered the leanings put forward in earlier documents on liturgy that came from the US Bishops)
  • However, Francis, even with SttL quotes "Music in Catholic Worship", MCW does not have the force of law, either, as this was something that a three-member committee put forth and never sent to Rome for its recognitio.
  • "From the ambo only...likewise" is a strange wording: it seems like the lessons and exultet may only be read from the ambo, while 'another suitable place' is an option for the sermon and intercessions, and it's not spelled out whether ministers of the word may use the ambo for general announcements, or only when that particular hat is being worn. Makes me curious about the Latin...
  • francis
    benedictgal

Yes. I totally concur. The other documents before SttL were even less faithful to official teaching than SttL.
  • For Richard M.:

Ex ambone unice proferuntur lectiones, psalmus responsorius atque praeconium paschale; item proferri possunt homilia et intentiones orationis universalis seu orationis fidelium. Ambonis dignitas exigit ut ad eum solus minister verbi ascendat.

I think the simplest construction is that the readings, etc., cannot be done anywhere but the ambo. The homily and the intentions can be done from the ambo, but can also be done elsewhere. I infer that nothing else can be done at the ambo: no announcements, eulogies, or song leading (apart from the psalm).
  • WGS
    I read all this about singing the Exsultet from the ambo. What happened to singing it facing north?

Here are the English rubrics from my 1966 altar Sacramentary:

13. ----- "All rise and remain standing as at the Gospel, while the deacon chants the Easter Preconium. He stands with the Easter candle before him, with the altar at his right and the body of the church at his left. -----

If it is more convenient, the Easter Preconium may also be proclaimed from the ambo."

It sounds as though facing north is the standard and from the ambo is exceptional. And yes, in this editon of the Sacramentary, the Exsultet was in English and in modern notation.
  • Thanks Chris! Does it look like the contradiction with "ambo or another suitable place" can be sidestepped if "proferuntur" is understood as read and not sung, as I suggested above?
  • WGS: Anything from 1966 could only have applied to the interim versions of the Tridentine missal that were in use during that epoch. It was all superseded when the reformed missal was promulgated in 1969. Nothing is done facing the left-hand wall anymore.

Richard Mix: proferuntur really means "are proffered, are given" so it cannot be taken as implying any distinction between reading or singing. And while you are right that "only ... but likewise" is illogical, unice has a somewhat flabbier meaning than "only." The Oxford Latin Dictionary defines it, "To a singular degree, especially, particularly."
  • We chant the psalms and Alleluia lead from the front, acapella. A gesture is only used if the Alleuia needs to be repeated during the Gospel procession. We do not use this moment as a musical venue( no harmonies, descants or organ) but as clear simple sung proclamation of the WORD. Singing these parts from the front has proved so effective that the congregation's singing will over-power the rehearsed schola's. The congregation has really taken ownership of these parts. Amazing!
    Thanked by 2Gavin donr
  • If it happens that the organ is in some manner accompanying the cantor, then it makes every sense for the cantor to be near the organ, whether this be in ambo, in choir, or in west gallery. The cantor is not required to be visible.

That's one way of looking at it if there is an organ and cantor liaison. Howeve, there is utterly no reason why the organ is needed for what is chanted by a Cantor; in which (preferred case) the obvious place for the cantor is the ambo where the word (the psalm is a contemplative part of the liturgy of the word word) is proclaimed. It should be chanted with allowance for the people's chanted Respond. No organ is necessary, or even necessarily desired... certainly not needed by a real cantor who knows what he or she is doing... and who, by the merest inflexion of the voice cues the people to sing without any of those funny gestures

And, while I'm at it: Real Cantors, and Real Singers do not at all need (as someone said above) microphonisation: if they REALLY know how to chant and to sing, project, and utilise fine diction, amplification is the last thing they need.

Singers and cantors who rely on microphonisation are doing something they really are not equipped to do... or, they are trying to sing in a very poorly designed church.
  • CharlesW
    I don't disagree with what you are saying, Jackson, and I think you mean well. However, you are in an ideal situation - an Anglican Use parish where tradition is faithfully maintained and even revered. That must be a wonderful place to work. Makes you a bit spoiled and out-of-touch, I think. The average NO parish is nothing like your own experiences, and would likely drive you nuts if you had to contend with it. I am blessed to have a pastor who wants liturgy done properly. I can go around town to other parishes, however, and find chaos and goofiness on a grand scale. Many parishes are not anywhere near acceptable, much less in conformance with the ideal.
  • CharlesW: I dont think that"chaos and goofines" could be any kind of imperative even though they seem to be everywhere.The words themselves describe aberrant conditions and though it somtimes cannot be avoided in practice, they cannot br accepted as guiding precepts.
  • dad29
    Umnnnhhhh.....that "women in the choir" thing was abrogated by Pius XII in 1956 or so.

There remains a distinction: a 'clerical' choir does NOT include women. But church choirs are almost never the same as 'clerical' choirs.
    Thanked by 1ryand
  • CharlesW
    The words themselves describe aberrant conditions and though it somtimes cannot be avoided in practice, they cannot br accepted as guiding precepts.

Accepted or not, the conditions exist in far too many places, sad to say. There is nothing wrong with holding forth an "ideal," but it is far too easy to pontificate when one is removed from the chaos and goofiness. Perhaps one should feel blessed if fortunate enough to not have to deal with it.
  • I would prefer to pontificate true and right ideals rather than pontificating an ideal which upholds "chaos and goofiness." and justifies it , merely because it exists. "It is what it is" - could be very hopeless and oppressive. he best way out is to change.

A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
    Winston Churchill
  • CharlesW
    And someone who doesn't read carefully often misinterprets. Who is upholding chaos and goofiness? I merely pointed out that it is easy to be snippy and arrogant when one is far removed from difficult situations. It is not what it is where I work. My pastor does things by the book. But I can find chaos without going too far afield. Keep in mind that in some places, there are good musicians committed to changing things for the better. In other places, not so. The last thing a musician with good intent working in a bad situation needs to hear, is condescension from someone working in one of the "plum" jobs.
  • JennyH
    please, get rid of the horrible waving motions with arms at the front of our churches !!
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • melofluentmelofluent
    JennyH, to whom is your plea addressed? There's never been a soul who's breathed earth's air endowed with such power.
    Your request is aptly analogous to the ridiculous cliche "Kill 'em all, let God sort 'em out."
    if you aren't already doing so, roll up your sleeves, put your best mind and face forward, and take care of business in your parish.
    If you're more offended by songleaders' naive gestures than the number of folks who've forsworn any belief in God hanging around begging for spare change, then I believe your priorities are skewed. Yes, "Save the liturgy, save the world." But castigating ignorant and propagandized (and egotistical) songleaders is small cosmoslogical potatos.
    Thanked by 2ryand marajoy
  • chonakchonak
    Really, we should mainly give good example. To complain at great length about small things is ... misplaced.
  • Once again ...

Making a concise gesture to help give the congregation the confidence to sing is not ignorant, egotistical, horrible, in violation of liturgical norms, or anything else.

I'm not sure how this one issue ever became so important to the reform of the reform crowd. Take half the energy you have towards railing against an arm gesture and use it to try to convince people to stop using bad music. Use great music that is worthy of the liturgy and you can make whatever gestures you want, as long as they're not obscene.

Let's keep our priorities straight. And yes, my cantors do the gesture. I'm agnostic on it, and I tell them to do it or not, I don't care either way. Most do it. And I think the people sing better when they do.
  • It would be helpful to have a chart indicating:

The Ideal,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Acceptable.................Tolerable.................Should be banned

Propers sung.........Ordinary Sung............Hymns Sung............Non-liturgical folk music

Organist cues........Cantor vocal cue.........Cantor lifts hand.....Handwaving of all kinds

Choir hidden..........Choir sort of seen......Choir visible............Choir facing people

Silent approval.......Silent approval...........Silent approval.........Applause

• Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I would put "Silent Disapproval" into the "Tolerable" category, as it is still preferable to applause.
  • canadashcanadash

This summer I had the privilege of going to various churches for Mass and the most distracting by far was the one at Notre Dame Cathedral in Montreal. There was a cantor at the front who, for every part of the Mass ran up to a stand and a microphone and lifted her hand inviting people to sing. In as much as I wanted to concentrate on the Mass, I could not! I wanted to keep looking at her. There is a Mass at our parish, where a cantor walks to the ambo and sings the responses at the congregation. I don't remember if she gestures, but it diverts my attention. I have difficulty resuming my focus on the Sacrifice of the Mass.

I am truly not trying to be elitist, but after seeing much, and being a part of all sorts of scenarios, I agree that often the gestures of the cantor diverts the attention away from where it should be.
  • It seems that for decades (centuries?), in many places, rather than a cantor gesturing, organists and other music leaders have led well through musical cues like the end of a playover and then a pause, or a cadence and change in registration, or simply the choir starting to sing. Those should be sufficient cues without a distracting arm-waving up front.
  • The proper place is of course a lectern on the Epistle side of the sanctuary, where two boys in cassock and surplice chant the Gradual. After that, two canons in copes sing the Alleluia.

Oh, wait. I forgot we aren't in 14th century England.

The real answer can be divided into two proposals:

1.) In an "ideal" church, there would be a liturgical choir of men and boys in cassock and surplice seated within the sanctuary (there may, in addition, also be a lay choir in the loft). In this arrangement, one or two vested cantors could sing from a lectern or ambo.

2.) In a "non-ideal" church, it's probably best to sing from a loft. I don't like lofts, but I concede that there are worse arrangements out there.
  • Writing as a fan of lofts, how do they square with this instruction?

312. The schola cantorum (choir) should be so positioned with respect to the arrangement of each church that its nature may be clearly evident, namely as part of the assembled community of the faithful undertaking a specific function. The positioning should also help the choir to exercise this function more easily and allow each choir member full sacramental participation in the Mass in a convenient manner.[122]

• EA Fulhorst: "Writing as a fan of lofts, how do they square with this instruction? "

Seems like an awfully vague instruction. It describes neither a chancel (which is separated from the laity) nor a loft (which is separated from both the laity and the clergy). The only arrangement I can think of that fits that description is a singing gallery off to the side of the nave.... and that's the worst arrangement of all.
  • CharlesW
    Yeah, they just don't build churches like they used to. I like lofts and have one for choir and organ. Most of the modern buildings I have seen don't even have lofts. That off-to-the-side arrangement seems really common in new buildings.
    Thanked by 1Patricia Cecilia
  • I suppose one could say that 30 feet above everybody else and clearly visible (God forbid) if you turn around or are walking back from Holy Communion is "clearly evident".

There are many churches that have front lofts on either side of the sanctuary that seem to fit this directive perfectly (whether intended or not), along with those laid out in other documents. (St. Joseph Detroit, Divine Child Dearborn, MI, St. Agnes St. Paul, MN, St. Anthony Ft. Lauderdale, FL to name a few I have seen, not necessarily in use).
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • PeterJ
    Church musicians should be heard and not seen.
  • PeterJ
    Yeah, 312 sounds a bit airy fairy.

"312. The schola cantorum (choir) should be so positioned with respect to the arrangement of each church that its nature may be clearly evident, namely as part of the assembled community of the faithful undertaking a specific function..."

They're inside the church, aren't they? What more do you want?

Besides most lofts I've been in act as overflow for the rest of the "assembled community" who can't fit in downstairs (or are late, or prefer to have a good view).

"The positioning should ... allow each choir member full sacramental participation in the Mass in a convenient manner.[122]"

If by "full sacramental participation" this is meant to mean "receiving communion", then I'm struggling to think what the author of 312 is getting at. There's always that old trick of what we call "using the stairs to the loft" and going downstairs to receive communion at the appropriate moment. Not that inconvenient.
    Thanked by 1ryand
  • GavinGavin
    I think lofts DO fulfill 312. The choir is facing the same direction as the congregation, they're inside the building, the seating is roughly the same. And the loft can (though does not always) allow for full participation in the liturgy by the choir.
  • CharlesW
    I am definitely a fan of lofts. However, has anyone noted that if the cantor is a 300-lb. Wagnerian soprano, she sings anywhere she wants? ;-)