Catholics do not stop attending Mass if they do not like the music.
  • @Wiesorganista ROFL hahahah, now that was good
    Thanked by 1PurpleSquirrel
  • SACRAMENTUM CARITATIS (quoted above or Google it)

Don't feel bad, teachermom, I was an organist for many years before I knew the RC Church even had any documents pertaining to music. This is definately the place to discuss and learn about them!
    Thanked by 1teachermom24
  • GavinGavin
    To return the discussion to its earlier topic (and, I must admit guilt in dragging it off further), I think Noel may be on to something. Catholics on BOTH sides will exhibit this (frankly immature) behavior. One of the interesting things I noticed though, is that at least progressives will only stop for the hymns they don't like. Trads, I've noticed, will permanently clam up for the whole Mass if they don't like ANYTHING, even if it means passing up on Salve Regina!

So what? Why did Noel make this observation?

I'd propose that what we can take from this is that 1) moving TOWARDS solid hymnody is not good enough. One must BANISH unworthy hymnody. It can be done - just don't program it!

Perhaps more importantly, 2) it is important, pastorally, to firmly institute the place of the choir. That way, it doesn't matter if people don't like the choir music - they won't be singing anyway! There is no form of protest against it! And silence implies consent more readily for choral music than for hymnody.
    Thanked by 1E_A_Fulhorst
  • CharlesW
    So what's going on in Saginaw?
  • Poor, poor Saginaw. I'm sooooooo sad to see the country parishes I grew up playing at next to abandoned :(

If anybody wonders about the long-term effects of Catholo-liberalism, look no further than there...

• Gavin said:

I'd propose that what we can take from this is that 1) moving TOWARDS solid hymnody is not good enough. One must BANISH unworthy hymnody. It can be done - just don't program it!

Thank you! Finally!

It can be done, every week as I do, even with Breaking Bread.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • Half the parishes (about 50) are expected to close next year, Charles.

They should just merge back into the Archdiocese of Detroit, in my opinion.
  • omg, are you serious? 50? why is that? lack of attendance? or a few Catholics in those areas??
  • Ruth Lapeyre
    Oh please, we have enough trouble in Detroit. Some of these parishes do not need to be closed. This sounds conspiratorial but I think the bishop wants another assignment and one way to get the attention of the Vatican is to close 50% of the parishes in your diocese.
  • Wouldn't that be a negative thing though? Closing 50 parishes is probably frowned on?
  • CharlesW
    I had no idea things were that bad. Roman Catholicism and both Eastern Catholicism and Orthodoxy are growing in this area of East Tennessee.
  • I am disappointed to hear about Saginaw. I have family up in that area, and have also played in a few country parishes up that way. Not to mention, some of those churches are just absolutely beautiful, nothing like the new "modern" architecture churches where I am at. How sad to hear that. :(
  • Thanks to Bps. Reh and Untener and their shenanigans thet went on for 30 or 40 years, people just stopped going according to my observations. I remember "Nuns" in albs "concelebrating" when I was a kid. Poor people (many hundreds of my own family members) are so confused.

Population has also declined with people moving out of the area (I'm in that catagory).

Relating to this thread: I can't go to Mass at my childhood parish when I visit because the music and liturgy is so terrible. The Pastor ad libs everything, even the consecration, and does the elevation before bowing (yes, bowing not genuflecting). I wrote a letter to the Bishop after I witnessed that, to which I never received a response.
  • In fairness, Bp. Carlson, who came after Untener died, wouldn't allow altar girls or communion under both species. So much for slow change. Maybe it was by design...
  • Ruth Lapeyre
    Bp. Carlson was good but he was only there a few years.

"Wouldn't that be a negative thing though?" Yes it is and it might get him a new assignment.
  • E_A_FulhorstE_A_Fulhorst
    Look, guys: You think I like this? You think I would enjoy this stuff? Well, no. But sometimes you're supposed to take one for the team. This argument was not said it because of some personal relish for slavish, legalistic obedience but because I believed the argument to be true. If true, obedience in love would require us to take a stance of conscientious objection rather than disobedience. (This, by the way, was the limited point made by the earlier post.)

Anyway, cite: Someone once told me so, citing some passage in some liturgical document, regarding how the laity are to "be of one voice." Not being familiar with the particular documents, and believing him to be an honorable man and not a liar, and reading the immediate context of what was presented as law, I've kept that interpretation with me. It was quite clear at the time, though fuzzier now that I can't find it.

If the argument is so repulsive, please rebut the syllogism as well as you have attempted to rebut the person. For reference:

1. Disobedience when a sin is a form of pride. Pride is a very serious sin not only because it is the source of all sin but because it is the hardest to ferret out.
    2. We should be very careful when dealing with occasions which could involve very serious sin.
    3. Therefore, we should be very careful when dealing with occasions which could involve disobedience.

Dismissing scrupulous obedience so lightly is untenable. This dismissiveness tends to encourage kneejerk disobedience, which, if anything, is worse. This would cultivate, in a parishoner, a baseline attitude of disobedience even in little things. This could have huge consequences for the big things and the last things.

So, really, a distinction should be made between disobedience and conscientious objection.

Now, you can deny that "not singing from Breaking Bread" is an occasion of the above disobedience because no obedience is required, but this is indeterminate pending us find that document. If someone more familiar with the documents could find that passage about being of one voice, I'd be much obliged.

From here, it relies on bishop's, and then pastor's, interpretation, which really does have force of (rhetorical) law.
  • chonakchonak
    Let me pose a challenge: if somebody thinks that a failure by a lay person in the pews to sing along with some hymn at Mass is either (a) immoral or (b) unlawful, then you should be able to find expert opinion confirming this. Go find it. Go find the moral theologian or the magisterial statement; find the canon lawyer or the authoritative interpretation of law that confirms your contention.

The burden of proof is on the person claiming that there is an obligation.
    Does it matter what expert opinion thinks if the local opinion is otherwise? (This is a point picked up from other commenters on this board.)

Where is that document ...
  • Liam
    Yes, Chonak is fully correct. And it is not virtuous to go running round claiming there are obligations without sufficient basis, which has not been provided, at least yet. And the document so far suggested in the other thread is not about a legal obligation on the part of the faithful to join the singing - rather, it's about what ideally should be sung (and has since been modified by later instructions in other documents).
    Thanked by 1Blaise
  • CharlesW
    I think there is a difference between a disposition to generally try to follow the rules, and slavish adherence to trivial details. The "rules" are generalizations and can't cover every possible event. They were never designed for that. Some rules are not rules at all, but guidelines. At some time in our lives, most of us have had the misfortune to work with at least one individual who suffers from shorts-too-tight syndrome. These folks drive the rest of us nuts. A bit of common sense and pragmatism could go a long way in dealing with both "rules" and people in general.
    Thanked by 2DougS ContraBombarde
  • Ruth Lapeyre
    I have read most of the Church documents concerning music and there is no place I have seen where it even suggests that if a person does not sing they are disobedient. There are many reasons why a person would not sing that have nothing to do with dislike of particular music, they are sick, they are deaf, they are tone deaf. If they are praying while the singing is going on then they are participating with one voice because they are actively participating. Active participation in the Mass can be just paying attention and praying.

Pride can slice both ways E A. If you think someone is not singing because they do not like the music and therefore prideful, does not make it so. You may be participating in the very sin you believe the silent parishioner is engaged in. I witnessed a serious wrong done to a very fine young man because another thought he was being silent out of pride at Mass.
  • Ruth Lapeyre
    Just got a reply from a priest friend:

"People don't sing at Mass for many reasons. Unfamiliarity with the tune, lack of confidence in their vocal skills, age, illness, hearing issues; all can be factors, aside from the fact that perhaps it's just not a gift they have . If someone were to not sing for some evil reason, it would be sinful of course; but if one were not to sing for other minor reasons, Heaven may roll their eyes, but I can't see how it would be sinful. So to make a short reply less long than I am evidently wont to make it, I agree that you are correct."
  • tomjaw
    When I am serving at a sung Mass, I do not usually sing, there are other things to do while the choir is singing. This can not be considered to be sinful.
    When I am sitting with my family in the congregation I usually do not sing, I have other things to do (4 children under 7 years)! Note I am actively participating in the Mass in another way.
    When I am attending Mass where another Schola are singing I do not usually join in. I prefer to read the suggested commentaries in my Missal.

As I see it, it is the Choir / Schola job to sing the Mass. The congregation is optional!

Note I do not attend the OF, but I don't see why everyone MUST sing at the OF.

For the schola I sing with, the ability of the Congregation to join in is the least important part of choosing the music.

• Blaise
    "It is the music director's job to select music. When attending Mass, it is your job to sing it, excepting grave circumstances. Isn't the law quite clear on this?"

Proof please? Documents?

Does anyone read what was written? For reference:

A distinction should be made between conscientious objection and disobedience.

All it takes is for "singing or not singing" to be considered an issue of obedience. Questions of law overstated the case, apparently, though this was initially said in good faith, because I had foolishly trusted a man I thought worth trusting. Oy vey, people, read what was written.

Pride can slice both ways E A. If you think someone is not singing because they do not like the music and therefore prideful, does not make it so.

Who said it was applying to anyone in particular? This was an analysis of particular reasons given, and completely understood in the hypothetical against a hypothetical situation. If this is unclear, I apologize. So far as principles go, these principles are not meant to be applied to others while at Mass but only at themselves. Every single one of these principles is meant as a self-mortification.

Here are the principles, as have been laid out different places in the thread:

1. Priest of authority interprets GIRM 19 as a rule of the parish. Everyone sings, he interprets. Rightly or wrongly, it is not the capacity of laity to decide this. (This point comes again and again from those who cry out "liturgy police" on this forum.)
    2. Syrupy, banal, bland, tasteless, inappropriate but not really heretical hymn selected. Rightly or wrongly, it is not the capacity of laity to decide this. (This point comes again and again from those who cry out "liturgy police" here on this forum.)
    3. Because you, in your faculties as the laity, are supposed to be obedient to priests of authority in their capacity of authority, you should normatively sing.

Caveat, and in fact the point, from the very beginning of this side of the argument: If you do not obey, it should be as a conscientious objection for some reason rather than stubborn disobedience. All this means is "put some care into not singing rather than making 'not singing' a reflex."

How is this dilemma difficult to understand? Less was said than you all have read. If this dilemma appears a false dilemma, then believe-you-me it has really happened.

If the priest does not have the authority to compel this, then that is one solution. Nobody here has said that, though, instead reading into this commenter as a person, posing challenges that I, as a layman personally unfamilar with appropriate documents, am not equipped to handle.

Look, guys, I'm coming here to learn this stuff. If I have nonsense, maybe it comes from me. Please consider, though, that in this age of broken worship that I'm at least sometimes a carrier.
  • chonakchonak
    Is this happening in real life? That is, are you really dealing with a priest who presents such a claim, and contends it's based on GIRM 19?

No, I'm at an FSSP Mass. I've heard this exact interpretation before from someone else online and was honestly persuaded, which is why I attend an FSSP Mass. Blather along these lines --- participate at Mass means doing everything! --- I have explicitly seen. The latent assumptions behind this position certainly haunt every parish I've ever attended, of course excepting all those "trad" chapels.

I'd rather not go into details about particulars. That's why the whole discussion is, trying and failing, to be framed as a hypothetical. Knowing particular situations do us no good. It's understanding the principles that really helps folks.

How do we know if something is worth taking up the chain of command? "Pragmatism" does not go very far to someone born in the last three decades, that time when a genuinely Catholic liturgical sense is rarer than white rhinos.
  • chonakchonak
    Well, it is outrageous blather. GIRM 19 is a mere suggestion to priests that it is better to offer Mass with a congregation than without one, though both are legitimate. It commands nothing.

If some errant priest is pitching such a line, any person affected by it would be well within his rights to write the bishop and ask whether Father is overstepping his authority. If that doesn't lead to a correction, ask Rome.

Any person harassed for not singing (whatever the argument may be) can follow this simple line of defense: Full conscious and active participation is first of all interior participation. If a certain song is detrimental to your interior participation in the Mass (a personal experience which no one can deny), then refraining from singing the song is the best thing you can do to promote your full conscious and active participation!
  • CharlesW
    Not being a very effective document chucker, perhaps someone with better memory can help out on this one. I remember, back in the late 80s or so, a statement in a document or papal document that covered something similar. It said, roughly, that if a mass were not celebrated licitly or caused scandal to the faithful, the faithful were not required to attend. I assumed that would have meant only one mass was available and there was nothing better that could be attended instead.
  • Blaise
    GIRM 19: 19. Even though it is on occasion not possible to have the presence and active participation of the faithful, which manifest more clearly the ecclesial nature of the celebration,[Sacrosanctum Concilium 41] the celebration of the Eucharist is always endowed with its own efficacy and dignity, since it is the act of Christ and of the Church, in which the Priest fulfills his own principal function and always acts for the sake of the people’s salvation.

Hence the Priest is recommended to celebrate the Eucharistic Sacrifice, in so far as he can, even daily.[Presbyterorum Ordinis 13; Code of Canon Law, can. 904]

Now, say we forget about music. What would you say about a priest who says-----strictly as an analogy to the requirement that people sing everything----- that everyone must hold hands in order to be "participating"?

I don't know about you, but I consider that to be scandalous, especially since I am not accustomed on a daily basis to grabbing strangers' hands and am not comfortable with touching strangers on a day to day basis. And yes, I consider it my right as a lay person to not get into this touchy feely business-----I think it tantamount to harrassment----and if any priest says I must, I will appeal to no less than the Holy See itself, if this problem cannot be solved on the local level.

GIRM 19 says nothing about the priest requiring any particular mode of participation from the faithful, whether by singing or otherwise----absolutely nothing. All it says is that the priest should excercise his ministry as priest, namely in the offering of the Eucharist, as oft as possible.

Now, back to singing---I love singing the prayers and praises unto our Lord and Master, otherwise I would not be here on this forum. And I strive to sing all that I can at the Holy Eucharist, even if it is not to my liking. But let us not lay down in law what is not explicitly laid down in law.
  • "It is the music director's job to select music. When attending Mass, it is your job to sing it, excepting grave circumstances. Isn't the law quite clear on this?"

No, it's not.

Many Catholics do not sing because they never sang at Mass before....if it's the same Mass, then why should they? If it's not the same Mass....then Houston, "we've got a problem."
  • Jeffrey Quick
    Is it a sin not to sing if you can't carry a tune in a bucket? Let's ask the Pharisees.
  • Without appearing to be indiscreet, allow me to share anecdotal evidence I believe should influence from what perspective we should observe this "dilemma." At our four parish merge we are blessed with about ten permanent deacons. One of them meets the true physiological criteria that would qualify him as truly "tone deaf." (He also happens to be a fairly recent widower.)
    When he assists at Sunday Masses receives blessing during the gospel acclamation, takes possession of the Gospel Book, processes to the ambo which is equipped with a very powerful condensor mic. Often he will ariive there shortly before the finish of the chanted "alleluia" and as we're singing I can hear his grainy, pitchless buzz coming through the PA system-"Al-le-luuuuuu-ia."
    It brings such joy to my heart everytime that happens. He knows he can't literally sing (or so we all thought.) But he is the embodiment of "how can I keep FROM singing." I've used this story to illustrate to incoming catechumens the perspective that we should perhaps discuss instead of stigmatizing "not singing" with discussions of sin of ommission. And I add that the imperfection of our voice is quite nicely compensated for by the perfection of God's ears.
    Nice coda: at the Easter Sunday Mass this deacon "came out of nowhere" and actually rendered the "ite Missa est" in a fairly solid recto-tono! I could hardly contain myself after Mass, hugging him. Tender mercies, simple gifts.
    Thanked by 2Gavin CHGiffen
    Is it a sin not to sing if you can't carry a tune in a bucket? Let's ask the Pharisees.

Please read what was written. Not singing, when it is disobedience rather than conscientious objection, was the topic on the table. It is a sin to be disobedient.
  • EAF, fellow San Joaquinian, what's at stake here that's worth such heavy lifting rhetorically? We've gotten this topic spread like a virus across at least three threads here. Let's not let it mutate into Ebola, please.
    My wife, sage in all things, just yesterday expressed the lament that no one reads anymore period. NO ONE READS ANYMORE. So now we know no one sings anymore and no one reads anymore. In the immortal wisdom of another sage, Miles Davis, "So What?"
    What you have written, you have written. It's out there, let it go.
    That's how I regard all the compositions I've penned and forgotten in the ether.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
    You're right, of course. I apologize for my exasperation.

Having believed that we don't need top-down enforcement but bottom-up obedience, and simultaneously that singing or not singing can be a question of obedience, that faithfulness even in little things is beautiful, it fit perfectly that even this little question of obedience, because it is apt to fly under the radar in a forum like this, deserved heavy rhetorical lifting. The only false piece of the puzzle was that this was even a question of obedience.

Believing that the principal sin of our age is not so much sexual immorality but the lie of autonomy and the exaggeration of personal authority --- no saint in heaven was not humble, after all --- what seems to be a quibble to others here does not in the slightest seem a quibble to me.
  • Amen to that, humility in all.
    Thanked by 1E_A_Fulhorst
  • benedictgal
    Aristotle, I was referring to Sacramentum Caritatis No. 42, not Sacrosanctum Concilium.
  • benedictgal
    EA, as far as I am concerned, if music is chosen that has objectionable texts and settings, I will not sing it. There have been times when a celebrant will urge us to sing this stuff and I will not. This happens when the music is chosen from Spirit and Song. I am not being disobedient when I choose not to sing. I cannot, in good conscience, sing pieces that fail to respect guidelines such as those offered in Sacramentum Caritatis and are, in the Holy Father's own words, "banal."

I will chant the ICEL setting, but, not something composed by Marty Haugen, as an example.
    Very good, then. As was written earlier, none of this was intended as a personal attack. So long as you do it in good conscience and consciously rather than reflexively, nothing written here could conceivably apply. Sorry if you felt like you had to defend yourself.
  • Oh BG, if you'd just had let it alone after "banal."....
    It's one thing to call a specific Haugen piece anathema, it is quite another to condemn his work in toto because of your regard for the integrity of his personhood. Before you gnash your molars, allow me to illustrate.
    You're in a choir, the director passes out a piece based upon the scriptural account of King David's learning of the death of his first son, Absalon. You don't pay much attention initially beyond learning your part and then towards the end of the learning curve you love the piece, it enriches your understanding of sin and suffering. Your soul is touched. The choir nails it, the spiritual bar is raised and everyone is better for it.
    Then you want to know more about its composer, someone named Carlo Gesualdo.
    Oh!
    You then are so dismayed and you turn your attention away from sacred music to sacred art. And you come to appreciate a wonderful depiction of the conversion of St. Paul, which leads you to an incredible, breathtaking scene of the crucifixion of St. Peter. You want to know more about the artist, Caravaggio. Oh!
    The artist can be a vessel of God's grace and beauty, and appear to be deeply flawed.
    In fact, that's a dichotomy that artists and saints probably have in common frequently. (Not saying Haugen's a saint, mind you.)
    Judge not...
  • Singing rubish is obedience???
    Yes, and Germans were following orders!
    There are times when one answers to a higher authority
    and marches to a different drummer.
  • Ruth Lapeyre
    Charles, has Marty Haugen been a bad boy?
  • ryandryand
    Charles,

I'm not sure she was referring to Haugen's personality or life. I don't know anything about him other than he is apparently a Protestant (?), which, in it's own way makes me not want to include his music at mass ... But mostly I don't want to simply because the music itself is "banal."
  • Ruth Lapeyre
    I agree ryand but I thought Charles was comparing Haugen with Gesualdo and Gesualdo was not a very nice man. Don't know anything about Caravaggio's personality but the talents of both of these men are much greater than Haugen.
  • Okay, break it up you two, back to neutral corners.
    Charles was gently trying to remind BG to assess the worthiness of the music/text union, not the integrity of the composer. I don't know if Jackson's "rubbish" was in response to that advice, but if it was, then he's assessed the product not the person, with which I have no problem at all.
    No, as far as Marty having committed homicide or sins of the flesh, I remain blissully unawares and supremely disinterested. But the "good Catholic prince Carlo," whole 'nuther story. So, do we drop his music from the treasury? Get m' point?
    Thanked by 1ryand
  • Charles' point about the quality of art vs. its creator's sanctity is beautifully put and, in fact, has a parallel in one of the Church's early controversies. Namely, the Donatist controversy, which was a fierce (and rather understandable) debate over whether or not priests who (as Charles puts it) lacked integrity of personhood should be allowed, and whether or not their sacramental activities were valid. The Church decided (rather understandably) that though a priest led an immoral life, the sacraments he celebrated were nonetheless valid, ex opere operato, because of God's faithful action through him. If this is true of priests, then certain it is that a particularly sinful person can create works of art, music, architecture, or even cuisine that may become what we call 'sacramentals': works that, though they are not sacraments, may be so inspired as to be occasional vehicles of grace upon various persons. (As it turns out, every one of us is sinful and unworthy!)
    Thanked by 2ryand CHGiffen
  • ryandryand
    Neutral corners acquired. No intention of starting a fight over this. I was trying to say what MJO said so eloquently above.

Pax.
    Thanked by 1Charles in CenCA
  • Ruth Lapeyre
    Charles no fight here, I just thought it was funny knowing what a bad boy Gesualdo was. :) Precisely M. Jackson. I just love Wagner.
  • Ruth Lapeyre
    ooo ooo on the subject of Wagner, did you know he actually wrote a liturgical motet? Dein ist das Reich