Very Protestant Catholics
  • I've noticed that many of our people are happy and sing with great enthusiasm when "protestanty" hymns are sung, i.e., Praise God From Whom All Blessings Flow, How Great Thou Art, and yet remain silent during more Catholic hymnody i.e, Jesus, My Lord, My God, My All, Soul of My Savior, etc. Again, let me reiterate that my parish's former DM was a very modern, very charismatic director who used Praise and Worship music exclusively. In the six years I played the keyboard while there, I NEVER used the organ settings.

Just wondering if any of you have ever had to deal with this and how you handled it. Since I took over (18 months now), we've done almost all Catholic hymnody and some chants, although both have met with a lot of opposition. On another thread there was a discussion on catechesis. I can't help but think that is the main problem with many Catholic Churches. Too many "Catholics" having no idea what it is to be a Catholic.
  • PMulholland
    Yep, ease in to all change... most do not have a clue so have a plan for catechesis.

Soul of my Saviour not Catholic?? Anima Christi??
  • I use Soul of my Savior instead of Anima Christi because it's new and the people are very reluctant to anything Latin. I was saying that this particular hymn is a good Catholic one that the people do NOT sing, whereas they sing other hymns with gusto.
  • Liam
    (In this comment, I am speaking only of "traditional" strophic metrical hymnody.) Well, a lot of old Catholic vernacular hymnody is rather syrupy or devotional compared to the typical Protestant hymnody that became popular with Catholics. (Though I find How Great Thou Art high on the saccharine content.) There's also not just as much English Catholic hymnody compared to the vast ocean of English Protestant hymnody; as a matter of musical craft, Anglicans and Methodists knew well how to write hymns in English and pair them with good tunes, and the fruit of their craft endures to this day.
  • Mark M.Mark M.
    This reminds me that I've got to ask someone at my church to reprogram the electronic carillon so as to exclude "A Mighty Fortress" from its repertoire…
  • marajoymarajoy
    Those "Catholic" hymns that you cited (well, admitedly, I actually don't know "Soul of My Savior," but I'm thinking of others... "Bring Flowers of the Fairest," "O Lord I Am not Worthy...") I consider them to be all on the rather..."schmaltzy" sounding and "feminine" spectrum of music. No wonder people don't like to sing them with gusto. Contrast that with "Praise God from whom all Blessings" or "A Mighty Fortress."
  • CharlesW
    I can see why congregations don't sing some traditional Catholic hymns - they are awful. I saw some hymns from the 1900s time period that were written for Irish immigrants. They mostly sounded like saloon songs. The Anglicans wrote some of the best hymns. Some German Catholic hymns are also very good, and easily sung by most congregations. I have found that anything written by a nun is likely to be schmaltzy and yucky.
  • GavinGavin
    Agree with the two above. Most of the traditional Catholic hymns are garbage. Sound like worse versions of the revival hymn repertoire. Hey, just like modern Catholic hymns!

If you want good Catholic hymns, there's chant and the German Catholic repertoire. Some of the Hungarian repertoire is also interesting. But beyond that is a musical wasteland.
  • Gavin, what gives? I thought you were one of the "don't generalize" cohort? You got great weather in Houston and you're grumpy?
    Now if you were to specify the differences of aesthetic between NON DIGNUS SUM and LASST UNS ERFREUEN, that would be more like Gavin. Just saying.
  • Ted
    My, my, traditional Catholic hymns are "yucky", "schmaltzy like","garbage", "saloon songs", "musical wasteland", etc.
    And yet these were the staple at the smallest parishes for almost a century, distinguishing the emotional Catholics from the more arid Protestants. Times have sure changed. If anything, I think the traditional Catholic hymns spoke more to the heart of the simple Catholic factory worker than the more elitist hymns of the Protestants could ever.
    Thanked by 1Ruth Lapeyre
  • CharlesW
    Simple factory worker or not, Catholic music has a tradition of wretchedness in the U.S. When I hear complaints about how bad it is now, I generally ask when was it ever really good? Generalities, yes. But there's a huge divide between St. Patricks and the average parish church.
  • "MusicTeacher56":

May I recommend two very concrete ideas?

1) Look around you: do you see a parish which has architecture and ars celebrandi which can support good music or not? If you find that these other elements aren't there, don't start by reforming music, but by redoubling your (private) prayer efforts.

2) Regardless of your answer to the first one, consider concentrating on quiet music, with proper theology, at communion only.

On another point, who taught you (or talked you into the idea) that committment forms constitute an actual committment?

• An absolute MUST READ book is Paul Hume's "Catholic Church Music" that was published in 1956. Hume was the famous music critic who panned Margaret Truman's singing in the Washington Post in the early 50s. Music was very bad in most churches in the 50s. The section on hymns is frightening. Things, before the Council, weren't all that good, either.

I'd wager that there most of the hymns in the traditional Mennonite hymnal are more "catholic" and orthodox than what one would find in GATHER. In a side by side comparison, the hymns on communion would show (to the uninformed) that the Mennonites have a better grasp of Eucharist than do the Catholics (of the GATHER persuasion).
  • rich_enough
    Not sure why the only choices are smaltzy Catholic and elitist Protestant. What about solid, singable, Catholic fare like "Holy God We Praise Thy Name" or the wonderful Welsh melodies (Hyfrydol, etc.) Even the simple factory hand of yesteryear had a head as well as a heart - and deserved better than the embarrassing sentimentality of the parlor ballads which passed as "hymns" in so many Catholic churches.
  • pamino
    ‘Holy God, we praise Thy name’: In traditionalist Germany the priest intones Te Deum laudamus and what follows is 99% of the time ‘Großer Gott, wir loben Dich’, As it is practically the same melody - the English version has a few appoggiature - I sing it in English as a protest.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • CharlesW is absolutely right. Though there were attempts by priests to have correct music programs in churches over the last 60 years, they were rare.

BUT all the bad music was Catholic music, so at least the texts were something the bishop would not call the priest on.
  • There's that horrible word 'elitist' again! Goodness, how awful those old elitist Protestant hymns are; why, they aren't Catholic. It seems to me that the assessments of Catholic 'hymnody' which are shared here seem to be, generally, apt. But, um, I'm not at all sure why the word 'elitist' would have anything to do with (the better examples of) Protestant hymnody. How is this apt? What on earth does it mean?
    Actually, there IS a body of outstanding Catholic hymnody. It is found in the historic divine office. There are numerous masterful and singable vernacular versions of it prepared by (mostly) Anglicans such as John Mason Neale, et al. There are, also, some done by Catholic scholars, but more often Catholics provide translations that cannot be sung because, for some bizarre reason, they have translated poetry into prose.
    Unfortunately, most Catholics are not versed (pun intended) in this body of hymnody... which, I suppose, someone would have the subjective myopia to call 'elitist'.
  • Also many well-known protestant metric hymns were originally first sung in Catholic churches....
  • Is it not a great signum that we have come so far as to be singing each other's hymnody? The best of Protestant hymnody contains no heresy and therefore IS ipso facto Catholic. This means that we have a laudable tally of Catholic Protestant Hymns. There is nothing to fear in this. This is no invasion of Protestant heretical theology. We are enriched by anything good from any Christian body or non-Christian body that expresses Catholic Truth and contains no heresy and is thus, voila!, Catholic. We are, I repeat, enriched, just as we are enriched by Maronites, Ruthenians, Byzantines, Copts, and Anglican Use. When the Church turns a blind eye to paganisms that creep into the devotional practices and religious expressions of those on the southern continents, where Guadaloupe really is worshipped as a godess, it seems rather shallow of understanding to become ruffled at something like Now Thank We all our God, or even Ein Feste Burg : they're Catholic; they just weren't written by a Catholic... at least not a whole one. There are, in fact, times when I would think that we NEED to sing A MIghty Fortress, and make it OUR song. We may be another few hundred years getting over the Reformation, but, oh!, Deo gratias! we have come so far and we mustn't let any ultramontanists or puerile zealots drag us back. No! Not Ever!
  • IanWIanW
    I use Soul of my Savior instead of Anima Christi because it's new and the people are very reluctant to anything Latin.

@Musicteacher56: I've attached a copy of Anima Christi that has both Latin and (singable) English words. From what you say, the call and response form may be useful in your circumstances.
  • My earliest hymn memories growing up in our new suburban Roman Catholic parish prominently featured A Mighty Fortress, sung from our brown St Joseph Sunday Missal and Hymnal (1965 rite, which I'd love to see a video of sometime...it's my earliest recollection of attending Mass).
  • Statements made here about "elitist" Protestant hymnody make me chuckle as a result of their virtuosic combination of vacuity and earnestness.
    Thanked by 2Gavin CHGiffen
  • Thank you, Ian, and, yes, the call and response does work well, although we are still reluctant to anything Latin, BUT.....it's a start and I appreciate it. God bless.
  • I'm not surprised they like and sing the "protestant hymns" because they are generally easy to sing. The parish I serve as music director by NO means has a history of using "traditional music", in fact quite the opposite (they used to have Gather Comprensive), but over the past several months since I started there, I have used virtually all traditional (metrical) hymns, sprinkled with a bit of more contemporary (so long as the text is appropriate) stuff, and I use the piano about twice a month. We have "Breaking Bread", but are hymnal shopping. I have a very supportive, hands-off, "he's the DM and knows what he's doing" type pastor, thanks be to God. I have done Panis Angelicus (English and Latin verses) a few times so far, and was told that I was the first organist to do a Latin hymn there in over 50 years - and they LOVED it. Be not afraid... (pun intended)
  • kevinfkevinf
    A good examination of all these questions can be found in a book "American Catholics in the Protestant Imagination" by Michael Carroll. Carroll writes about the consciousness of American Catholics in a land dominated by Protestants. Not an easy read but worth it.
  • I guess when I say Latin I should clarify that I mean propers and chants. We've done some Latin hymns that seem to be going well (Panis Angelicus, Ave Maria). Like somebody on this forum told me...."baby steps...go slow". I held back a little, gave them some of the Breaking Bread (we also use that publication) and started the children's choir on some Latin chants (which they took to quite easily). We are also hynmal shopping and I've broken it down to either Vatican II or Adoremus (both have strong and weak points, so I'm fine-toothing it before I make my recommendation to the pastor). But, that being said, my congregation is still holding back on some new things (they recognize Panis Angelicus and Ave Maria, so are not intimidated by them). This congregation is older and very set in their ways and very reluctant to ANY change in ANY way (but, we are also getting a lot of new, younger parishioners with family, and they are my target demographic for the "new" music).