Necessity of the guitar
  • CharlesW
    When I was in college, as the ONLY organ major on campus, I was often asked to play for chapel. They had used guitars from time to time, but concluded that those instruments could not adequately lead and support congregational singing. They had a fine pipe organ, so it worked rather well.
  • Thanks, Charles, for opening my eyes to the points that Jerry (the CJ) and Dad were trying to get through my thick skull: in and of itself, even if equipped to play melody, accompaniment and bass like a hurdy gurdy, the guitar is INsufficient to lead and support congregational singing. Yes, I concede that and actually always have.
    As to whether it is wholly unsatisfactory should a capable or greater guitarist accompany a capable or greater leader of singing (individual or choral) to lead and support congregational singing, I'm not prepared to concede that.
    The same principles that apply to a guitar are likewise applied to the pipe organ or imitator.
    As far as the primacy of the pipe organ as the most compatible instrument to enjoin sacred song, I profess my "aye" to that.
    Have I explicated myself now from ambiguity as to what I've tried to articulate for years?
    And, I reiterate my apologies and accept my fault for the offenses I caused to all, and specifically Ms. Romani (Benedictgal), for whom I do have great respect.
    Blessings to all.
  • francis
    ERrrrrrr... it's not IMPOSSIBLE to lead with a guitar... I bulls-eyed OCP rats with my Martin D-35, and it's not even a meter long!

However, you have to have a great guitar and/or sound system to do it! Thank you God, I have both. That said, I still don't prefer the guitar to leading sacred music. It sux.
  • CharlesW
    In my case at college, the chapel seated 1800 people. The guitars seemed to get lost in the voices, while 52 ranks of pipes didn't.

"As to whether it is wholly unsatisfactory should a capable or greater guitarist accompany a capable or greater leader of singing (individual or choral) to lead and support congregational singing, I'm not prepared to concede that."

I agree, o wise one from the west. It would work better in a more intimate setting, to be sure.
  • AngelaRAngelaR
    Wonderful, Susan, thank you. This is the sort of feedback I've been looking for. I do not yet know about the competence of the guitar players at my parish, which is one reason that I am approaching this with extreme caution. But now that my organist is taking an indefinite sabbatical as of today (the situation is no longer hypothetical!), I'm going to have to act fast. We don't have enough chant-trained vocalists to move solidly in the a capella chant direction consistently at all Masses, and no one to fill in consistently on the organ, so this option will have to be explored.
    Thanked by 1[Deleted User]
  • francis
    susan

you are the rarety and an exception to the guitar mass
    Thanked by 1[Deleted User]
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    Angela, is there any kind of a budget for an organist, or was the one who is now on sabbatical a volunteer?

Perhaps a competent high school pianist would be willing to basically work for peanuts and be passable on the organ? I'd hate to see all of your good efforts go to waste due to the lack of an organist!
  • AngelaRAngelaR
    I started putting out feelers just this morning on that front, thanks.
  • BruceL
    Angela, is there any kind of a budget for an organist, or was the one who has taken a sabbatical a volunteer?

Perhaps a competent high school pianist would be willing to basically work for peanuts and be passable on the organ? I'd hate to see all of your good efforts go to waste due to the lack of an organist!

Angela, this is a good idea, but rather incomplete. Why not benefit both you, the parish, and a pianist by subsidizing organ lessons for them. Offer to pay (I'm just kidding about the figures) $2 a Mass if they just play piano (!), $2.50 if they play organ, and $3.00 if they play organ and take lessons. I'm just suggesting this because the quality of organ-playing in Catholic circles is lower than it should be because of this very pianist-trying-to-play-the-organ syndrome. It leads to bad organ music, which is at least a contributing factor to people wanting guitars at Mass!
  • If it's not too late I'd like to share my experiences. If it's too late, then skip this comment.

I wouldn't be involved in church music if it hadn't been for listening to a guitar played regularly at mass when I was a kid. From as early as I could remember until I started cantoring fulltime I attended an evening Spanish mass at an older church in Miami, FL. There were two Cuban ladies cantoring, one of whom played guitar. They gave sober, sensitive, truly artistic renditions of songs from Flor y Canto. The lady playing guitar rarely strummed, but when she did it was not with the intention of making people dance or to draw attention to herself. She was a true artist who could play her instrument to great effect. I believe it is due to her formation as a Catholic that she was able to perform the FyC repertoire with such solemnity that you could overlook the often questionable lyrics. She was more sensitive to the what was happening in the mass than to her role as a performer. This had a tremendous impact on my musical formation. Those ladies are still at that church to this day and when time permits, I go to mass to hear them.

When I became a music director a few years ago, one of my tasks was to reform some of the musical practices at the church where I worked. One difficulty was that there was no accompanist for the Saturday evening Spanish mass. I hired my brother who has a bachelor's degree in jazz guitar. He had played in youth bands for Protestant denominations, and he grew up going to the same masses that I went to. He of course had a nylon string guitar. I showed him some of the rep for the Spanish mass and he almost instantly knew the way it should sound. We immediately got warm comments and praise for our interpretations of the more common Spanish mass parts and hymns (yes, more FyC). We were a stark contrast to the Sunday evening youth "choir" of 6-people-playing-guitars-and-1-playing-bass. My time at this church was short (2 years) because I tried to make too many changes too quickly and the pastor didn't like it.

Here's my point. While no other instruments are absolutely necessary besides the voice, a guitar can work well at mass, provided you have appropriate music and a real guitarist who understands how to play at mass.

So, for 1) Get your musicians together, outside of rehearsal, and talk about one document at a time, maybe over coffee, starting with Sacrosanctum Concilium and work outwards. Then show them examples of the style you would like to hear at mass. If they don't know what you want, they end up improvising. For 2) think of a mass setting you like. If no guitar accompaniment exists for it, or if it exists and you just don't like it, then make one up yourself.

Lastly, here are some rules of thumb that I've come to abide by: 1) no more than 3 guitarists; 2) make sure they don't use picks; 3) no electric or steel string guitars allowed; 4) use a mic on the guitar, avoid plugging the guitar into the sound system (if it can be plugged in); 5) unless they're classically trained, try to avoid playing music with more than 2-3 chords per measure.

Note: BTW, I don't mean to sound as though I'm a fan of Flor y Canto. I'm not. But I can't find a good alternative. El Himnario has flaws and I recently looked through the Cantoral Liturgico Nacional of Spain. It's basically a FyC beta with a few mediocre Spanish language adaptations of chant sprinkled in.

• Gustavo, welcome! It's great to have a fresh, vibrant new voice in the forum.

Here's the deal, bottom line:

When our pastors agree/direct/realize that the day of the pulp missal has seen its last sunset, and that the investment of blood, sweat and tears in order to plant the SEP, the Gregorian Missal or the Graduale Romanum, By Flowing Waters I/II, that contains the Word to be chanted, that will be the day that even self-respecting, talented guitarists who also sing and lead beautifully and competently, will smile as they retire that instrument from the sanctuary for any future Masses. And if it is employed to beautifully accompany devotional events in that same sanctuary occasionally, no one will be the worse for wear. May that day come yesterday.

• AngelaRAngelaR
    So good to see the continuing conversation on this thread. 

Like I said, it was the thoughts of many on this thread that spurred me on to attempt our first ever chant Mass at my parish tonight.  It was really, really beautiful.  We sang three Gregorian propers, the ICEL Mass chants (accompanied by hand chimes), the SEPs, and the English version of Jesu Dulcis Memoria with drone and parallel organum.  I have not yet heard any responses from the regular Massgoers, but I can tell you this much: they SANG!  They sang the introit and offertory SEPs, and they sang the Mass chants, even though they had never heard any of them before.

This week I have to make the call to the guitarist, though.  We don't have the resources to do the chant at every Mass yet.  The helps you all have given me I am immensely grateful for.  Prayers on that front will be appreciated.

• BruceL
    Angela, great to hear this.  If you, pastor, and others were all on the same page, people can literally hear that "caritas"...so I'm sure that inspired them to sing with love!
  • Angela had written me offline to provide some examples of using a classical guitar to discreetly accompany chanted pieces. So, be they ever so humble, here are five.
    I didn't prepare these versions in advance. The accompaniments for the chants are basically improvised on the spot. That for the Lambilotte "Panis Angelicus" are committed to memory from the version in the St. Gregory.

InParadisum

JesuDulcisMemoria

AdoroTeDevote

Note that in verse two I switch to an actual metered accompaniment.

PanisAngelicus

I couldn't resist, at the moment, the deceptive bVI-bVII-I final cadence!

ICELchantsrandom