Necessity of the guitar
  • AngelaRAngelaR
    I know, this one has been beaten to death numerous times, but here is the (hypothetical) situation: a (hypothetical) parish is sorely in debt and cannot afford to pay a decent DM wage. The (hypothetical) current organist is elderly and may retire anytime, and there is no one who can take that person's place within the budget that the (hypothetical) parish, which is slowly pulling out of debt, can offer. Organist substitutes are hard to come by at all. There used to be a contemporary guitar group at the (hypothetical) parish which was disbanded under a previous priest. The (hypothetical) parish faces the possibility of no music at all for many weekend Masses, or else completely rebuilding a program which will quite possibly rely heavily on guitar. The (hypothetical) parish is responding favorably to a Simple English Propers introit sung by the children's choir, but has had some unfortunate and deeply hurtful experiences under a recent more traditional leadership. The (hypothetical) current pastor is a fan of the EF, and even celebrates it when possible, but needs to be sensitive to where the (hypothetical) parish is at, and must lead the (hypothetical) parish gently.

It is my experience that some deeply prayerful and meditative moments in worship can be effectively led by guitar. It is also my experience that some of the worst moments in worship can also be led by guitar. Much of the musicianship comes from the theological formation and intention of the musicians involved.

1) How does the parish educate the new guitar group in the documents of the Church and in authentic Liturgy, and how that in turn informs the choice of repertoire and style of playing?

2) What Mass parts does the parish choose for this Mass? (These need to be parts which can also be played well by organ.) (The ICEL chants also come to mind here.)

Constructive discussion here only, please. This (hypothetical) parish would not rely on guitar in a heartbeat if given the funds. It must make the best of the resources it (hypothetically) has, however.
  • ryandryand
    http://www.chantcafe.com/2010/09/chant-with-guitar-and-contemporary.html

The question raised about the vocal quality being affected by the guitar would be irrelevant for the time being. Check out the video and any other resources the gentleman might have to offer. While not ideal, the guitar can still be used for tasteful and beautiful accompaniment. For the time being. Hypothetically.
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    Since we're speaking in general terms (hypothetically), a more common scenario is for the church not to have an organ. Choirs & congregations can be led by cantors, serpents, bass viols, and I know of two SF Bay churches that employ professional lutenists (one RC, one ECA) successfully. "...musicianship comes from the theological formation and intention..." doesn't really make sense to me, unless the goal is to further reduce the pool of potential hobbyists who might take on the job. It sounds like the church under discussion is going to have a very hard time of it.
  • BruceL
    Angela, I'll bite here, especially as I posed this issue in the Adoremus Bulletin letters section this past month.

When you say "contemporary guitar group", is this a bunch of "strummers"? If so, that could be problematic. As always, it's not the instrument that's the problem, but the manner of playing. Someone playing a fine pipe organ in the style of Billy Preston in concert isn't on the right page; neither is someone who's pretending that they are playing backup guitar for rock singer.

If you can get some nylon string players, that would be better, although nylon string would be much less percussive...which is probably what many like in the guitar sound. That said, the nylon string sound is akin to harp to me, and goes really well with chant or derivative styles.

I played organ for the Sunday evening Mass at the Austin TX cathedral for two years. The guitarist there, Stephen Bright, and I got along very well. He was a very sensitive player and worked really well with the cantors. I also had a lot of fun playing with him, as we could do a lot of improvisation that would use colors one normally wouldn't have with just organ.

I would go for it: message me, Angela, and I can give you the name of someone in St. Louis that would be good for you to talk to about this issue. I expect he would be at the MusicaSacra STL conference coming up soon, which I hope you are able to make seeing as you are now fairly close in IL.
  • CharlesW
    Sometimes you have to use what you have available. I have had the mightly Schantz conk out and be down for a couple of weeks for repairs. I used a digital piano. Did I like it? No, and neither did the congregation. But we survived nicely and no one is any worse off for it.
  • incantuincantu
    I'm the music director and organist at our parish. We've been without a qualified cantor for a number of months, so I've been fulfilling that role myself. Today I led the congregation in a Rice Entrance antiphon, the Missal Kyrie and Gloria, a Columba Kelly psalm, and Gregory Murray's Alleluia with psalm tone verse before I realized that the congregation hadn't yet heard a single note from the organ. We sing the SEP for Offertory (or the offertory motet at the choir Mass) and the Gregorian communion. Missal chants for Holy, memorial, Amen, and Lamb. So even though I'm the "organist," the only thing I actually accompany is the Our Father (which, with all its repeated notes, tends to go flat without harmonic support). I'm really not sure anyone notices that we're singing without accompaniment. If the guitarist can't sing, they have no business leading music at Mass. And if they can, there is no reason to use the guitar.
  • Mr. O, your forensically perfect deposition, all things being equal and in a perfect world where all churches (and basilicas) are staffed well, would seem enough to close the door on the question as you "demonstrate." But we all know there aren't just 360 degrees, but 720 plus degrees of differentiation of circumstances in St. All Over the Map parishes.
    It is not about the voice, the organ, the piano, the guitar, the hammered dulcimer; it is about achieving a level of stability that is significantly north of minimal.
    The repertoire does matter, and it might as well be chant-based for my money as I'm convinced weekly (as you, in your extremely providential situation know) that the faithful are becoming disenchanted and shaking off the rep or the last four decades as they encounter a more Catholic paradigm here in a "normal" but musically enriched parish. When a DM has to staff 15-20 weekend Masses, there's always going to be a number of situations where the sum of parts is greater than what each part could bring to the table alone. If that singer can ably fulfill his/her role only with the tonal stability of a guitarist such as BruceL describes, or even a discriminating "strummer" who can provide a single-strum, root based chord at the right moment of a chant, and the effort is stable for all, where's the harm?
    It, for the umpteenth time, is not always nor necessarily about the instrument (within reason, harmonicas and banjoes notwithstanding), it is always about the level of deployment. Same for the pipe organ, yes?
  • CharlesW
    So true, Charles. Anything can happen. At one of my morning masses, the regular cantor was somewhere in the mid-west attending a memorial service for a high school friend. The substitute cantor called in sick at the last moment. So, no cantor. There was nothing I could do about it. Fortunately, our pastor is a better cantor than most of mine, so it worked out.
  • dad29
    If the guitarist can't sing, they have no business leading music at Mass. And if they can, there is no reason to use the guitar.

Dead-on.

Hypothetically, the parish musician is able to sing, and (hypothetically) use a pitch-pipe or handy nearby keyboard for intonation.

There is NO necessity for accompaniment, period.
    Thanked by 1Brian Michael Page
  • dad29
    And....for that matter.....how did it happen that "accompaniment" suddenly became so absolutely, positively, necessary?
  • CharlesW
    It's too bad the rest of us can't walk on water, too. :-( I don't sing - at least solo quality singing. I am a choir singer. I use cantors. Get over it!

When did unaccompanied music become "necessary?" Seems like a reform of the reform gone to ridiculous extremes, I would think. There's a lot of that here, unfortunately. I am glad the majority of CMAA is a bit more balanced.
  • Okay, I don't want to perpetuate a totally unnecessary fire fight over this downtrodden issue. That said-
    *I wish Angela had titled the thread "A (the) rationale for use of the guitar" rather than necessity. There isn't a necessity, per se. Dad is right on that count, theoretically.
    *As much as it grieves me to ask, Dad, did you actually read the whole content and import of my post?
    *The FedEx question about accompaniment was also clever, Dad, especially if you intended to specify (but failed to qualiy) chant and "classic polyphony" among other forms? (It's not like we're in the doctrinaire Church of Christ or Mennonite traditions. However....
    *At our schola Mass, no matter where the tonal center of the psalm response ends, the Alleluia is intoned a capella by myself (having pretty darn good relative pitch.) Then, it is repeated not only by the schola and everyone else, but taken UP by the organ. It's pretty darn thrilling week in, week out. We don't chant everything accompanied, but we reserve the right to employ accompaniment when it edifies the chant or other form of music, even if Richard's Choral Propers. It's just a matter of discretion.
    *I didn't read all of the young FUS student's term paper regarding Davidic musical practices over at the Cafe yet, but the kid seemed to have his homework and citations pretty well down. The precedence there, and in the Venetion (if not earlier) practice is clearly there for all to consider and judge. Where the issue lies is...
    *As Mia, Noel and not the least Mahrt rightfully remind us, the not-organ instrument at Mass is expressly discouraged, nee forbidden, only if its use invokes (by consensus? by whose judgment? etc.) the popular secular musical culture.
    As I mentioned above, a harmonica or banjo by its nature MIGHT just fall into that category. As much as I think it might be a gas to "do" an ukelele Mass full of Haas/Camacho tunes, its rationale fails because of the obvious association that particular instrument has in known culture, same for the steel lap guitar in country music.
    The "guitar" is not monolithic. Neither is the pipe organ. The 1923 Wurlitzer Theatre organ in our gallery attests to that. That it is wind-driven and can be registered to accompany singing at Mass does not deem it wholly appropriate for that specific use.
    *Dad, are you going to the SLC Madeleine colloquium? I hope so.
    *I'm not building a case for pervasive maintenance of the guitar as an ideal sacred music instrument. Nor am I arguing against the paradigm and ideal of the voice. I'm simply stating that it's a wide, wide, wide, wide world out there. Don't throw babies out with bathwater. We did that once already circa 1970.
    Thanked by 1ParleyDee
  • GavinGavin
    When did unaccompanied music become "necessary?"

When there's no accompanist.
  • AngelaRAngelaR
    Okay, back to my original questions, please. I'm afraid my "hypothetical" description was taken to be a little more hypothetical than it actually is, and I'm sorry about that. I'm looking for some PRACTICAL help here about the situation presented (thanks, Bruce L, I'll be in touch):

1) How does the parish educate the new guitar group in the documents of the Church and in authentic Liturgy, and how that in turn informs the choice of repertoire and style of playing?

2) What Mass parts does the parish choose for this Mass? (These need to be parts which can also be played well by organ.) (The ICEL chants also come to mind here.)
  • GavinGavin
    As to the questions:

My recommendation is to approach it as music. Pay the way for the guitarists to go to a chant workshop. Believe it or not, many guitarists happen to also be musicians, and would jump at the opportunity to learn and use a cool new repertoire. I've seen it happen so many times.

2) What Mass parts does the parish choose for this Mass?

Whatever the congregation has been using. Or why not use the ICEL parts a capella?
  • GavinGavin
    If I may be blunt, Angela, a quality, ideal, mind-of-the-church music program is not going to result from the described situation. There is some influence the leadership (whomever) can have over the guitarists, but it will be over the very long term. The situation as I understand it leaves four immediate choices that I see: unaccompanied singing, silence, "Gather Us In", or stepping up donations significantly. None but the last is really ideal, but all are practical, doable, and passable in a transitional period.
  • Agreed with Gavin, above longer comment.
    If donations don't emerge, a good cantor can pour lotsa sweat into training a core of cantors. Utilize the teen homeschoolers if there are families in your parish. You are prob already doing this.
    Sounds like there aren't enough skilled singers... yet. Keep investing yourself.

Our parish uses organ sparingly- though I love it as beautiful and meaningful decoration. Our rep is chant and polyphony and basic hymns. We have been fine without accompaniment, but some kind of instrumental decoration is preferred.

If there are strum only guitarists, that's trouble looking ahead- it really limits rep.
    However, I agree with comments about employing classically trained guitarists. Hey, I even married one!
  • The greatest instrument is the human voice. For the better part of six months. I have led the singing at my Dad's parish sans instruments. We have done quite well. Furthermore, when the guitar is used at the parish's vigil Mass there are complaints from some of the parishioners about the lack of quality music. In my parish. when I am called to substitute, I do so without instruments. My parochial vicar is actually quite supportive of singing without instruments.

Now. although I am barely learning how to read music. I do not let tbat stop me. With God's help (and my parochial vicar's support), I am gaining confidence. Guitars are not necessary. in both my opinion and experience.
  • Following up on my wise young colleague's responses, Angela, and one of CMAA's resident rogue guitarists, an imperative need is that it is not "the parish" that effects this change, but an appointed "leader" who has the requisite skills to assist "the group" in understanding their role in a presumably changing parish repertoire. There are extant Latin Masses that have been "assigned" chordal assignments that adhere to the modal character of chant. There are emulative Masses, ie. Bob Hurd's Missa Ubi Caritas (if sung in Greek/Latin only), Steve Warner's Mass of Charity and Love (WLP), and IIRC even Proulx's "Simplex" that have chord assignments (GIA.) Here is a website in Scotland-
    Forth in Praise that has a number of rudimentary accompaniments for the ICEL Chant Mass, including a melody/chord version that are serviceable. And depending upon whether your parish uses one of the BIG THREE publishers, their catalogues should contain sufficient numbers of chant hymns (Jesu dulcis...Adoro te...etc.) or emulative chant (such as done by Barbara Bridge and others at OCP) that get you closer to your goal.
    The person who is responsible for assessing the progress of the group must have a basic knowledge of chant basics, and that using rhythmic guitar accompaniment goes right out the window, even if the chant melody has been "metrically" altered (again, Jesu dulcis, Adoro te...Veni, veni...) Guitarists must avoid arpeggiation and rhythmic strumming entirely. They need to know how to anticipate exactly how to unobtrusively "roll" through a chord change without disturbing the natural, unmeasured flow of the melodic text. This could be practiced with chant hymns like "Attende Domine" or "Parce Domine" or "Veni Creator Spiritus" and such.
    Guitarists accompanying chant or such similar types of music must be able to play chords in inversions, even tho' I mentioned basic chords in root position ( built 1-3-5) as well as some not triadic chords, open fifth chords, suspensions, tasteful use of sevenths and ninth chords, etc.
    And lastly, no group beyond 2/3 guitarists should ever be assembled. Bag o cats that. If you have multiple guitars, the leader should transpose an accompaniment say in C (Major/Mixolydian) up a fifth to G, and have the second/third guitarist capo up to seventh fret for an "enriched" sonority. This goes for classical or steel strung guitars.
    The lutenist approach BruceL mentioned, again, is the ideal way to go, but I don't think that's where your people are at.
    I don't think that the guitar training books/media offered by the big publishers addresses any of these concerns vis a vis chant/guitar. A recent article in GIA's seasonal periodical was also sadly lack any serious depth as exactly how to address real, non-metric chant.
    MaryAnn's points are well taken, but I know that even she'd agree that according to Angela's need and stipulations, Bill could do what I've outline above and have a positive effect upon singers who would need that assistance.
    And my friend in Laredo's experience does not at all jibe with my four decades of experience as a professional DM in parishes and cathedrals. Everyone's mileage varies, and one size does NOT fit all.
    Godspeed.
    Thanked by 1ParleyDee
  • AngelaRAngelaR
    Keep it coming! This is all very helpful. Were I not so strapped for time, I would comment in more detail right now. Suffice to say, training the kids as cantors really resonates with me and I've been thinking about it, as I have a good children's choir already. I am also chewing on the thoughts about an a capella Mass. The issue here is, an a capella Mass would be a big break from the parish norm of the four hymn sandwich. Yes, the pastor and I keenly want to walk away from that scenario, but the politics within the music program at the moment, and the recent experiences of the parish suggest that it is not time to move away from the hymns yet. I am whetting the parish's appetite at the moment with a well-sung SEP introit every time we have a choral Mass. On Good Friday we do intend to have an a capella service, which I plan to be my grand introduction into the glorious musical form of chant. The parish is so excited to have choral music, period, that it drinks up everything that I have offered thus far -- a rare phenomenon from what I can see among the posts on this forum. Perhaps that is evidence that we could move into more of the SEP and ICEL chants on a regular basis, now that I think about it. But I am cautious, again, because of some bad experiences this parish has had.

As things stand, I am in a position to educate most of our parish musicians in whatever manner we see fit. I like the idea of sponsoring some musicians to attend a conference, especially as in a month Saint Louis will be hosting its conference, just two hours from where we are. Time is of the essence with my involvement, however, as I am also a music teacher, and still am trying to live a life outside of work (imagine that!). My impact at the parish has been overwhelmingly positive so far. I pray it will stay that way.

Keep the comments coming!
  • Unfortunately. the scenario in Laredo features mostly guitars. These are often not very good. The music ranges from folk to Mariachi with little to no sacred. There are about four parishes that have either a keyboard or organ. Acpella works a lot better tban having to deal with strumming.

I may not have four decades at this, but, at some point, we must do better.
  • Not to sound calculating, but....
    there is a political rationale in letting children and teens 'lead the way'. Resistance to a youth schola looks mean-spirited. Let the kids win the hearts of any possible objectors.

Encourage kids from all sectors/cliques/language groups of the parish whenever possible.

Training young chanters is our stealth weapon. And they grow to become music students and leaders in their own right. Exciting!!!
  • I may not have four decades at this, but, at some point, we must do better.

As if the whole Planet Guitar consisted of out of tune guitars, requintos, guitarrons, trompetas y violines!
    Ms. Romani, do you have any idea how insulting that remark is to accomplished musicians? No, I didn't think so.
    You ought to consider refraining from remarking about musica practica for which you have been an observer and not practicioner. I do not suggest recusing yourself, just a little bit of self-assessment before you chime in with your "feelings."
    I don't think that you are qualified to comment even upon the practice of music in four parishes in Laredo as you cannot simultaneously be in four parishes in Laredo as Mass is offered. And furthermore, when you have walked in others' shoes for a significant period of time to make a studied assessment, then your opinion may be of value to Angela, who asked and now has received an informed response.
    I don't wish to reciprocate the inane comment dismissing my cred. However, when you can sight read any hymn or chant in four or five lines, give me a holler. Until then, your experience is no different and considerably less accomplished than many singers in my program, who were at the same level of reading competence to which you are currently assigned. They now can sight read in both forms.
    I apologize to all for the blunt fraternal correction herein, but if you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem. Simply dismissing the concern expressed by the original poster by saying she has no concern and should ignore her potential solution is NOT helpful.
    Yes, we must do better. But not by disassociation, but by progress achieved by understanding and growth.
    We at CMAA should strive to lead interested seekers to the ideals we've experienced at colloquia and in our local practices. But we should not stand in judgment of how they get there. I'm done.
  • AngelaRAngelaR
    Charles, I just sent you an email. Let me know if you didn't get it.
  • AngelaRAngelaR
    Mary Ann,

I saw your comment awhile ago on another thread about the political benefit of young singers, and have been keeping it in the forefront of my consciousness. The kids eat up the chant! The trick is getting them to learn how to sing multiple notes on one syllable -- it's counter-intuitive to them for awhile, and very difficult to teach without a visual aid.

I sang through an SEP a few times one rehearsal without visual aid. The next time I introduced a poster of the same chant and just hummed different phrases from it, asking kids to point to the phrases on the poster. Almost all of them got it right the first time! This coming from a group of kids who couldn't read any music, and especially not chant notation, when I founded the choir in mid-September. Yes, the young can be our greatest ally. And I've been pondering when to start training them as cantors....I think I need to step up on that.
  • AngelaRAngelaR
    Benedictgal, I respect where you are coming from. But each parish is unique. I learned to sing and to read in an unaccompanied setting of pure polyphony and chant, I have been teaching chant for the Peoria diocese for several years, and sang it at the cathedral there as a soloist and as a schola director until I moved to Springfield. I am perhaps the first person at our parish who would want to head in that direction. I miss my chant so badly right now! But being new at the DM stuff, and only here for five months, and considering the political climate at the parish, I need to tread cautiously. There has been a push for bringing our old guitar group back, and as I said we are not ready to go a capella yet. I'm trying to judge what I'm really up against, and how to maneuver this well politically. As someone posted earlier, the majority of a DM's job is about leadership, and heavily steeped -- nay, saturated, in politics. My theory is to get them on my side first, and then I can lead them wherever I want. This is a very delicate task, since I do not want to compromise the music in the process. Hence my posting here. This does not negate anything from my first posting -- it is true that the organist could retire at any time.
  • First of all, I did not mean to insult anyone. What I do find condescending is that there are those of us who may not have musical training, but, have liturgical training, and we are trying to do our best with what little we have. In the 10 years we have been a diocese, the leadership has not seen fit to invest any effort at all in the sound liturgical training of those who lead the music in their parishes. The one or two sessions that we have had constituted bringing in composers who were interested in marketing their wares instead of teaching the "music ministers" about sacred music. We do not even have a schola, let alone a diocesan choir. Lamentably, liturgy is not a top priority down here.

The guitar music that we have is more along the lines of strumming, either at the folk level (English) or at the ranchera-style level (Spanish). The Cathedral boasts Mariachis who, although they mean well, do not have the appropriate sense of liturgical seasons. Yesterday, they belted out "Pescador de Hombres"; nary a piece of music indicative of the fact that we were celebrating the Ephiphany.

For those few of us who are trying something, to rise above the guitar, the tenor of some of these posts reminds me of the warning that the Holy Father issued about "biting and consuming" one another. It's bad enough to catch flack among some in the diocese; it's just as painful to catch it here.
  • dad29
    Chas/CenCa, did you write that after some NFL game on which you lost a small fortune?

I did NOT say that 'guitars are banned/instruments of the Devil/signs of perdition/marking the end of Christian civilization.'

I simply argued (perhaps too obscurely) the premise of the question: is it NECESSARY to use a guitar if all else-instruments are not available, and I answered in the negative.

Is it POSSIBLE to use that instrument? Yes. There are a lot of qualifications, beginning with competency, the ability to maintain an atmosphere of sacrality, the de-emphasis of rhythm. But it can be done.

Being Jansenist doesn't mean being irrational.

As to Utah: I am trying to send the youngest member of our music staff out there. She's a delightful Catholic who needs a week or so in the immersion-baptism of RC music and atmosphere Madeleine will provide.

At $1,000/apiece, one attendee will be about all the Parish can pop.

BTW, I was at the first and second Colloquia (at Christendom) and the first Chicago Colloquium. As you recall, the first/second ones' choral work was run by Paul Salamunovich.
  • Ok, more ideas (I'm home 'resting' with pneumonia and have some time).

Chant classes for the parish one evening a week for 8-10wks. I would use Latin to bridge any language divide. Main goals:
    singing basic chant rep comfortably and unaccompanied. More focus on 'group sung prayer', fairly brisk an natural (word-based) flow, less info (but some!) on Church docs and Solesmes method, ictus placement, etc.
    Do not get bogged down in explanations, knowing about the four lines and how to sing 5-6 neumes will suffice. Get them singing it together, owning it, loving it. Take anyone and everyone, latecomers who had to hear about it from their friends, skeptics.

You think you are their leader- you are just as much their vocal model/cheerleader/aerobics instructor. :)
    'We can do this people! This is our heritage! Think of your favorite saints- many of them sang these songs!' you get the idea.

Important part: Invite Fr to pop in or even attend. Thi affirms that you aren't just a random chant-pushing wierdo from the isle of salicus.

REP for such a class- invigorating basics
    psalm tone warmups- Gloria Patris work
    mass xi or xiii or even xvii
    credo iii or i
    veni creator spiritus
    salve Regina
    ave Maria
    Jesu dulcis memoria
    Adoro te
    salve Mater

I would advise having a chanted mass at the end of such a class. I would try to have it on a day not associated with Lent or Advent, so chant (the new thing) isn't labeled as penitential..

Oh, and step one is presenting/ selling such an idea to the pastor, as always. It's a wy to bring the parish together and accomplish some of his good liturgical goals.

Just ideas. I have another biggie but it'll have to wait until Dominic is settled in his nap. :)
  • Thanks, Dad, points taken well.
    In answer to your first question, nope....I'm a hopeless, hapless Oakland Raider nutjob, we've been zombies for a decade and a half. And I don't bet, ever, unless I know the outcome, so never. I do invest, tho', in Zins, Cabs, Pinots...

Here's the 64K question to which none of us, not a one of us, has the answer at this moment:

When, where and how will the Colorado River slicing through the canyon geography of the Roman Rite eventually reach its ideal end? (the Solemn High Mass in......Latin? ..... vernacular......in the EF/OF?.......the parousia?)

In the meantime, as you and I concur, each of (metaphor switch) brick we use to bolster the canyon walls need to be thoroughly inspected according to the blueprints we've been provided. And if one of those bricks has a streak figure 8 with a neck and fret design, as long as its structural integrity is otherwise solid, it'll do the job for now.
  • dad29
    You know the answer, Charles. It's in coeli.

Since Les Paul (a Wisconsin native/Packer Fan) may already be in place up there, I won't be surprised to see a fretted-neck brick.

But he'll not use it for the Mass. Prolly the Dance afterwards.
  • There's dancing in heaven?!?
    O Lord, don't let the folks planning LAREC in on that.
    But that means, of course, that Kevin Bacon got it right after all, even with Pastor Lithgow's daughter:
    Ya know we gotta cut loose, FOOTLOOSE....
  • francis
    wow yall. this is too much! i don't have any recommendations that say anything dif than you all already posted, but I just want to say... wow yall!
  • Carl DCarl D
    Angela, for teaching singers to sing multiple notes per syllable ... I've found it helpful to have them SPEAK the words, but in rhythm. That way they can get comfortable with the idea of long syllables, and variably timed syllables. Without worrying about all the pitches.

Carl
  • AngelaRAngelaR
    I just pulled out the CD of my first chanted Mass in Michigan. Exquisite combination of handbells, improvised organ, Latin Mass parts, Latin propers and By Flowing Waters chants. I'm drooling. I wonder if I could try it at this parish just once....perhaps they would be more receptive than we're thinking? I still must pursue this guitar thing, but chant, ah chant! After spending an evening an hour away teaching two more musicians about chant, I'd forgotten yet again how infatuated I am with it. Talking to Father tomorrow afternoon.

Please keep the other ideas coming, though! Even if I can get chant going at one Mass, I still need to flesh out my other options for the others.
  • For masses without a lot of chant, and guitarists, what about Taize materials? I've had some good experiences with that, and it can pave the way for more ensemble (choral) music while utilizing few lead voices when needed.
    It gives strummers a chance to spread their wings a bit without being scary.

The big idea I have for you is a summer chant camp. Last year we did this-
    65 kids from
    6 parishes
    30 families
    16 parent volunteers
    5 days
    6 hours/ day
    two breaks
    picnic lunch at a nice park, soccer and football with a priest or two
    1 field trip/ outreach/ dress reh at a (Catholic) retirement home
    Final sung mass- EF
    All propers except simplified Alleluia
    Mass XI
    Credo III
    several chant hymns
    Panis angelicus- 2 part for littler trebles
    Changed voices had their own track and sang a good Offertory, singing with or alternating with trebles on others
    Kids completed the week with a certificate

Again, just an idea. Wouldn't mention it if I didn't think you could pull it off, too. :)
  • BruceL
    Angela, I subscribe to most of what Charles "the Greater" (pardon!) says in this thread. More than 2 guitarists at a time would be, to me, a cacaphony (as would 2 or more organs!) Encourage them to "spread the wealth" every weekend.

I like MaryAnn's suggestions, of course, and like her choices of repertoire. However, it is important in this case to consider where the pastor and parish are. There is, for some reason, a "Latin hangup" here in many parts of the Midwest. When Latin is mentioned, otherwise sane people suddenly forsake reason and react violently! So, be sure you have the pastor's support as well as a substantial body of the faithful...or at least an attitude of good will from the same.

One suggestion user jhoffman made to me a few times which is good (especially if things aren't Latin-phobic) is to use the seasonal Marian antiphon after Masses as a way of introducing chant and/or Latin. This time of year, it's an especially good idea since few people know the Alma Redemptoris Mater...a teachable moment!

As some have noted, Benedictgal, I am somewhat reluctant to support many of your suggestions in this thread simply because so many of my experiences contradict it. It sounds like your ideas would work in a place where the people are grateful for ANY kind of music and are generally simple people with a good heart and open mind! That is...not suburbia (or near-suburbia), where many of us make our home! I agree with your feelings about "Pescador", although a case can be made for it in the next few weeks of the liturgical year due to the Gospels at Mass.

Finally, any chance for using the guitars at a FU-Steubenville style prayer/adoration service? I am of the opinion that trying to force out devotions after the Council (to emphasize the primacy of the Mass) is responsible for a lot of the questionable music we get at Mass. If a case can be made that "guitars can praise God, but let's learn something even better for Mass" by the pastor (important!) and you, this could defuse tensions...maybe... :)
  • ryandryand
    So many words. So few resources.
  • I did a review of a Gregorian Chant and the guitar Mel Bay manual over at the Cafe which is a quite an exhaustive resource, that I actually own, Ryan. Can't look up link right now.
  • ryandryand
    http://www.chantcafe.com/2010/10/ancient-chant-and-hymns-for-guitar-by.html
  • AngelaRAngelaR
    Dear all, I have been much moved in consideration of all your comments -- including yours, Benedictgal. :) I want you to know that in addition to your many helpful suggestions about guitars (Charles' book, MaryAnn's suggestion on Taize music, how many playing, in what manner and what setting, etc.), I felt the inspiration to approach my pastor about piloting an entirely chanted Mass just once. Just once, to see what the reaction is. After thinking about the things that I posted about the (hypothetical) parish situation, about the need to capitalize on our (hypothetical) resources, and about my own (decidedly NOT hypothetical) interests and expertise, I asked myself: Could this be a situation in which God is closing doors because He wants to push us to the next step? After all, there is no other explanation, except God's direct hand, for a woman who went into college not being able to read a note of music, to be now in charge of a diocesan Gregorian chant program and music director at a parish. The journey came through many, many unexpected open doors and experiences (and one cool Church Music Association of America). Sooooo....

Saturday, January 21, our congregation will have complete programs in hand with all the necessary music and translations, while I and a friend will be singing:

Prelude: Dominus secus mare (Gregorian)
    Entrance: SEP introit based on the same (antiphon accompanied)
    Mass parts: ICEL chants (Gloria unaccompanied with the exception of handchimes, if I can work it out)
    Psalm and Alleluia: Respond and Acclaim (Psalm unaccompanied, Alleluia verse unaccompanied)
    Offertory: Dextera Domini (Gregorian), SEP based on the same with antiphon accompanied
    Communion: Venite post me (Gregorian), SEP based on the same, Jesu dulcis memoria with some drone and parallel organum
    Close: Hymn TBD

Please pray for the success of this project. I first fell in love with chant singing at a Mass very similar to this one, and I hope it will speak to others in the way it spoke to me. Mary Ann, I am intrigued and considering your proposal of a chant camp, and may be in touch with you when/IF I survive my first ever Holy Week, with what may be an entirely overhauled music program.

I will continue to pursue the situation with the guitar/s, but in the meantime, chant ho!
  • Brava, Angela, brava! Let me know if you still want some video examples down the road. But I think you've made the better, tho' perhaps more difficult, choice.
    Blessings to all.
  • AngelaRAngelaR
    Charles, I definitely want those videos! I need to explore all the avenues I possibly can. Realistically, even if this chant Mass flies, we won't be able to do something of this caliber at every Mass, and possibly not even at one Mass per week.
  • Ah, Holy Week. I know what you mean.
    My approach as DoM? Survive, challenge the choir, and lead the congregation.
    Give people 1-2 max well done choral things per sacred liturgy. That's enough. Well done basics most often build a program and a parish. Then, 40 years from now, I can do big works like that famous Visalia program. :)

And I'd love to chat with you further about chant camp.

Your Jan 21 plan sounds neat. Please post how it goes!
  • Offer your Mozart Requiem up for the portly soul in purgatory then, MA, my sweet!
    Of course one hopes to get the ticket punched that admits one's soul to purgatory. Have been re-teaching/affirming the Missal responses with the school kids this week, how refreshing it is to be able to tie the new revisions (posture at "mea culpa", "under my roof," and even the bugaboo "consubstantial" with 4th graders! They get it!
  • TCJ
    Unfortunately. the scenario in Laredo features mostly guitars. These are often not very good. The music ranges from folk to Mariachi with little to no sacred. There are about four parishes that have either a keyboard or organ. Acapella works a lot better than having to deal with strumming.

I may not have four decades at this, but, at some point, we must do better.

I have to agree, whether it sounds "insulting" to others or not. There's a point at which we, as music directors, have to say stop, and stopping before guitars is a good place to do so before turning and heading the right direction. Since I'm quite capable of reading and playing music, and also have experience being the DM of four different parishes at some time or another, perhaps I won't get told to shut up. ;)

Yes, sometimes in the effort to fix things in the long run, certain things can be tolerated for a time, but you can never go a step lower than you already are. At times situations at a church are bad (I've been in plenty of those!) and there's not much to work with, but settling isn't a solution. In place in which priests literally force me to try reverting to happy-clappy music, guitars, and the like, I'd sooner resign than go that direction. If your priest isn't forcing that sort of thing, then don't lead the church there on your own!
  • AngelaRAngelaR
    Dear Jester,

I think part of the point of disagreement here is whether in fact going to guitars means automatically reverting to "happy-clappy music". Do those things have to go hand in hand ALL the time? Obviously, experience for most people shows that guitars and their music are of a lower class. But, does this in fact HAVE to be the case? A few resources have already been posted which suggest otherwise, and there are two respected musicians at least on this forum who have used the guitar and used it reverently. Please refer to some of those above posts.

Obviously, giving free rein to a guitar group will in most instances result in less than desirable music -- as can be said with most music that is not directed by an experienced and well-formed musician. Even chant that is not directed by a competent musician can be painful to listen to (sorry if this offends anyone, but it's true). But given the proper direction and formation, a group can turn out some really fine music.

Please, don't let experience be the only rule for whether music can be good or bad. If we rely on mere experience, then what distinguishes us from all those other post Vatican II liturgists who were frustrated with things in the old Liturgy and so abandoned it? Should we not, rather, *learn* from our experience, accept what is truly bad, and then seek what is good and what can truly be changed for the better? That was the purpose of my post. I have no intention of going back to happy clappy music, and so need to maneuver this situation slowly and very, very carefully.
  • Thank you, Curt Jester. I had stayed away from this topic because of some of the commentary. For me, the forum had given me the courage to try and implement a lot of what had been suggested and to move away from guitar music. But, having read some of the comments, I found them discouraging.

Personally, I would rather have acapella than guitars any day. Not much good music has been composed with the guitar in mind. Just look at the stuff from OCP and GIA. A lot of sacred music just does not seem to translate well when played with a guitar; just like the other stuff ("Gather Us In" and "Though the Mountains May Fall" come to mind) sounds really strange on an organ.
  • Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa.
  • dad29
    There's a point at which we, as music directors, have to say stop, and stopping before guitars is a good place to do so before turning and heading the right direction

Hear, hear.

It is NOT impossible to use a guitar, say in the 12-string classical mode, for some work at Mass. But it's darn-NEAR impossible.
  • In my experience, guitars are introduced rarely because of the outline hypothetical situation. In many cases the Parish has been unable to afford a paid organist or director of music, and has relied on volunteers. There have been less and less volunteers able to play organ or even piano for that matter, but there has been a plethora of young people playing guitar. Sadly, what most people do not understand is that you need to be a competant singer if a guitar is going to work at all. Few young people (I say this having participating in Church music since the age of about 8 or 9) have any clue as to the role that liturgical music plays in worship, and their musical inspiration has come from pop-stars.