Supporting Rolls
  • Billiesue
    Has it been written in STTL or other discussions anywhere about the choirs supporting roll in congregation singing?
    Billiesue
  • Jeffrey TuckerJeffrey Tucker
    See paragraph 31: "When the choir is not exercising its particular role, it joins the congregation in song. The choir’s role in this case is not to lead congregational singing, but to sing with the congregation, which sings on its own or under the leadership of the organ or other instruments."
  • Michael O'Connor
    My choir makes some pretty good dinner rolls ; )))
  • One of the big issues surrounding the choir's role in supporting congregational singing is the usefulness of choirs singing harmonized versions of hymns rather than the melody line in octaves.

Good arguments can be made for either practice. Sung harmonies can often be an effective inducement to congregational singing; however, I've noticed a tendency for congregations just to sit back and listen when the arrangement deviates even slightly from foursquare, homorhythmic support--and many pieces in books like Choral Praise are almost like anthem arrangements. But if you've got solid organ accompaniment going, nothing beats good, strong unison/octaves singing by the choir. This is particularly important for encouraging men to sing, since they don't hear the tune in their octave in harmonized choral singing.

In my experience, poor-to-middling Catholic choirs spend almost all their time trying to dress up the (ostensibly) congregational hymns and Ordinary. This is worse than a waste of time: it blurs the important distinction between the choir and the congregation; it takes the choir away from its role in cultivating chant and polyphony; and it ultimately discourages the congregation from singing the parts of the liturgy properly assigned to them.

By way of encouraing congregational singing, I use the choir singing harmony on hymns the way I would a contrasting organ registration. The change in tone color and texture can enliven a multi-strophic piece and help underscore the work's structure. But I would never have harmony on more than a verse or two or for any extended section of the Ordinary, when sung by the congregation.
  • David AndrewDavid Andrew
    Only roll I've got is the one 'round the old tummy.

*snort*

Seriously, DBP brings up an interesting point, but one which I think is more symptomatic of the typical Catholic culture. In other denominations (Lutheran and Episcopalian in particular), the use of 4-part harmonies by the choir, and even the congregation, along with descants (sop. or sop./ten.) and elaborated organ accompaniments are de rigeur. Catholics for the most part rely on an overly-amplified voice (or voices) to do the singing for them.

"Role" up your sleeves, boys and girls, we've got work to do!
  • priorstf
    I think an additional concern is whether the choir can be heard at all during congregational singing. With just under a thousand parishioners in their seats and an electronic organ coming from a half dozen speakers, I really doubt that our 5 tenors and 1 bass are particularly audible at the other end of the worship space. (I call it that only because we are meeting in the future basketball court while the church is built.) I suspect that the choir is more of a morale booster than a true contributor to the quality of music. Unfortunately, the 15 or 20 sopranos probably can be heard, but as they enjoy singing the descant right from the start I'm not sure the congregation hears the melody.

Fact is, I'm not really sure just what is being contributed musically by a choir under such conditions.
  • Jan
    Daniel presents a very interesting discussion of the choir's role in congregational support. In particular, to consider the use of choral
    harmonic arrangements of congregational hymns much like one would consider the use of 'contrasting organ registration' to be a fresh
    way of looking at the subject. It's all about color and contrast to enrich textual emphasis without 'show-casing' especially in those multi-strophic hymns .

Question: How would you (or do you) encourage congregational-choral antiphonal exchanges without the 'intrusive' present of a cantor?
  • RobertRobert
    A choir supporting congregational singing with harmony and descants is great for congregations that actually sing hymns (AKA "Protestant congregations"). Maybe it's just my part of the world, but in any parish I've been to it's basically the choir singing the hymns and a few souls scattered through the pews, usually with an amplified cantor drowning all of them out. In this scenario choir harmonies strike me as the opposite of supportive - there needs to be something there to support :-/
  • A few comments:
    (1) The constant use of soprano descants is common, commonplace, vulgar, and unedifying. It is one of the clear aesthetic abuses of the past 40 years.
    (2) Congregations can only be expected to sing things that (a) they know by memory, or (b) have all necesssary indications and instructions printed right with the music itself.
    (3) No one should be allowed to accompany either congregations or choirs who has not spent several years as a choral singer in at least a moderately accomplished ensemble. It is simply not possible to fulfill this role without such experience. If the organist needs a conductor to keep the congregational music on track, the organist is not skilled enough for that role.
    (4) Unaccompanied singing by the congregation should be cultivated assiduously. Remember: the most important parts for the congregation to sing--the celebrant/people dialogs--are simple, unaccompanied music.
    Daniel,

First of all, let me put the caveat on the following responses. I am referring to the use of solid, strophic hymnody. I know that the argument still wages on regarding whether or not hymnody should be used within the context of the Mass at all. ISTM that the jury is still out on this subject. Given that the "civic holiday weekend-depleted" congregations at my church this last weekend were still able to belt out "Holy God, We Praise Thy Name" and "At That First Eucharist" tells me that, like it or not, hymnody in one form or another is here to stay, at least in the Ordinary Form of the Mass.

Having said that,

(1) I for one do not advocate the "constant use" of descants. To call them vulgar I think demonstrates a kind of unwarranted prejudice against a time-honored tradition within musical culture of the Western tradition. I doubt very much that the descants composed by David Willcocks (Once in Royal David's City, Hark the Herald Angels Sing), or those by contemporary American composers like Richard Proulx and others in both Catholic and non-Catholic music circles could be considered "vulgar and unedifying." If used judiciously, and chosen carefully with an eye to quality and construction, they can truly enhance the majestic quality of the hymn-singing experience. To call them an aesthetic abuse of the last 40 years is to display one's own lack of knowledge or experience in the matter.

(2) If we were to accept the premise you set forth in (a), then not a single congregation (either Roman Catholic or Protestant) would ever open their mouths, or the music provided for the purpose would be dumbed down to the point of being just as vulgar and unedifying as the descants you so quickly indicted. Now, in denominations where strophic hymnody is normative, and tunes have been used for generations, the congregants may know the tunes by heart, and maybe the first few verses of the more common texts. (b) If you open a "standard" hymnal and scan the hymns, I daresay you'll find few, if any, "necessary indications and instructions printed right with the music itself," beyond the key signature and notes on the page. Typically there are few if any instructions or indications in hymnody (dynamics, phrasing or even tempo indications).

(3) While I agree to some extent with the assertion that a well-trained accompanist is one who has also sung in a moderately accomplished choir, I also think that the art of solid accompanying is one that can only be developed at the console, and under the tutelage of an equally well-trained and experienced organist. We've all suffered under an organist who couldn't keep a beat, didn't honor punctuation for the sake of breathing or provide a predictable, measured count with a rest between verses. But, if hymnody isn't a part of the regular musical language and culture of the parish, there is no opportunity to develop these skills.
  • incantuincantu
    I will often have the choir or a quartet alternate unaccompanied harmonizations with the congregation's unison singing on odd numbered verses (or phrases, for hymns in AABA or AABB form). This is particularly helpful to the congregation for unfamiliar hymns that they are able to repeat from memory.

Doing this for every hymn would be boring and would not reflect the different texts of each hymn. The same could be said for descants if they are over-used. There are several published collections that are full or poor voice-leading and octave doubling and that do little to enhance the hymn. These seem to be provided to give the sopranos (or tenors) "something to do." Perhaps that practice should be avoided.
  • My intent has not been to presume that any musician on this forum advocates the constant use of soprano descants. I am refering instead to the practice of concluding almost every hymn and Mass part with a descant. This is the norm in a very large number of OF parish Masses and is, sadly, much beloved by many sopranos and a goodly number of less-thoughtful choir directors. A well-composed descant added on just the right verse of a well-known hymn can be one of the most thrilling musical experiences possible in church! I grew up in an Episcopal cathedral parish and know the Willcocks/Rutter/Shaw/Fyfe descant repertory more than a little well. I'm objecting to the third-rate, 'give them something to do' obbligato choral parts that are seen as the source and summit of musical aesthetics in thousands of parishes.

My comment about giving congregations printed directions was in answer to the question about giving cues and directions for sung music shared between choirs, congregations, and cantors. It's special directions that need such clarification, not routine choices made clear through the accompaniment. It's the waving of arms and the a-rhythmic hand gesturing of 'leaders of song' to which I principally object.
  • Michael O'Connor
    Well down here in S Florida, more and more churches (Catholic, mind you) are going to big screens to show the hymn texts (and sacred pics when there is no music). Help, I'm a dinosaur for not liking this one bit!
  • Mark M.Mark M.
    Well down here in S Florida, more and more churches (Catholic, mind you) are going to big screens to show the hymn texts (and sacred pics when there is no music). Help, I'm a dinosaur for not liking this one bit!

I shudder at the thought… say it ain't so!
  • Charles in CenCA
    I concur with Daniel's sentiments regarding the discreet use of descants sung only by sopranos who are capable and knowledgeable of the Anglican/boychoir tradition and the vocal demands that requires. I also adhere to a sort of code of honor for the singing of hymns that honors both the congregation's need to "fold into" one or more verses sung in unison by the choir, then letting the capable and balanced choir function on middle verses in parts, and returning to a strong unison for the concluding verse, with or without a descant sung by no more than 2/3 capable sopranos.
    What I can't verify is how general conclusions can be made about poor practices in thousands of parishes because I don't get out much on Sundays. I've managed to have rather long tenures over 38 years, in my 16th year at my current and last parish, and if I hear an average parish choir, that occasion is likely to be from a televised Mass. And not from the National Shrine; more likely the choirs from St. Elsewhere. And those choirs can be more than likely commended for having heart and little else. The wobbling sopranos singing the ascending "descant" on the Mem.Acc./Amen of the MOC just represents poor leadership which begets poor technique which assaults the senses.
    At last summer's colloquium one could clearly, in initial rehearsals, hear such technique issues in all the various stylistic period pieces, from Croce to Elgar. How was that addressed and remedied? By an incredibly sensitive and world-class cathedral director, who also happens to be the conductor for the Denver Symphony. My point being is that the state of choral efficiency across the board is (to borrow from the Talking Heads' David Byrne) "same as it ever was." Either a parish or cathedral pastor/rector realizes he must pay for the great piper, or he'll settle for "less thans" in hope, most often futile hope.
    CMAA is the only beacon of hope I've recognized as of lasting value in affecting the attitudes of our young musicians and our young clergy; nevermind ACDA/AGO/ChoristersGuild much less NPM (where a great deal of poor choral singing has been the norm for decades' of conventions, save for J. Michael Thompson's ensemble.) Now, I would think that if there is a renaissance of recovering the true beauty in sacred music and liturgy springing from the grass roots, and spreading to many parishes like St. John Cantius, and then into whole dioceses like St. Louis, that maybe there might just be a renaissance of creative thinking from new generations of bishops who could allocate relatively modest amounts of their budgets towards the creation of scholarships expressly for under and post grad students who will return the favor by serving the church professionally. And if the fruit of their handiwork is recognized and appreciated in the long run by both pastors and people, then this ship might just be turned round right.
    PS. Regarding visual directions through hand cues by songleaders: don't use songleaders is #1; but an occasional use of a sort of chironomy by the choir director, particularly for ordinary movements I feel is sometimes warranted and valuable.
  • GavinGavin
    Michael: the popular Christian rock band "Lost and Found" is actually all very conservative Lutherans who constantly make the point that contemporary music is unsuitable for church. Anyway, I heard a story of how their lead singer was talking to a pastor who raved about how his church had a new expensive media system for powerpoint and such. And the singer responded, "Well I go to a small church, but we got a lot of money together and we got someone to make BOOKS for us with the music AND the words in them! We call them 'hymnals'!"

Not that this is the place to sit and get triumphalistic about how much better we are than the protestants (there's enough trashy apologetics blogs out there for that) but I think the advent of the "Holy Powerpoint" is the final nail in the coffin of protestantism.
  • mjballoumjballou
    The problem with descants is twofold: (1) there are lots of lousy descants out there, even in the 1982 Hymnal; (2) stifling some sopranos once they've caught the descant bug. When you say, "last time only," they all whimper and whine. On Sunday, they do whatever they want because what are you going to do? Shoot them in front of everyone?

I don't like overheads and besides someone always gets the slides fouled up - I've watched it happen in countless well-financed evangelical churches. Where I would like to use powerpoint is in teaching outside of the liturgy. Either that or put people's necks in a brace so they have to hold their music up and look at the director. I could also then be sure that we were all looking at the same piece. (Don't laugh. I've worked with some seriously finding-the-right-page challenged folks - and I love them all because they slow me down.)
    Daniel,

Thank you for your clarification. I concur completely with you, especially as it is back to my Episcopalian/Anglican roots that I attribute my love of final-verse descants and elaborated (or reharmonized) organ accompaniments.

As to the "instruction," again, spot on. Let's be done once and for all with the cheerleader-like hand waving that goes on all too much. I even must deal with this on a regular basis with my cantors. I have one who is a retired choir director. Would you believe she actually places a conductor's cut-off at the ends of psalm responses? She's such a faithful and otherwise cooperative member of the music program that I hate to mention it to her. I don't even know if she realizes she's doing it, or if it's a reflexive action.

The other beast I've not been able to slay is the idea that if there's more than one cantor with their own mic "leading the singing," then any harmonies printed in the "choir editions" of the songbook or hymnal are fair game. So the congregation, unable to sing on its own, is doubly-confused and punished with the sound of an amplified voice singing in harmony with the other amplified voice(s). *sigh*

I've tried every catechetical angle I can think of to try and convince the offending cantors why this is an inappropriate exercise. The only solution left is to simply tell them that while I'm very sorry if they feel like I'm "excluding" them from their "expression" of the ministry, this is simply the way it must be.

I just don't understand why when it comes to music you can explain, lecture, catechise and even provide them with written documentation on these subjects and they still think you're making it up just to be a "big meany."
  • GavinGavin
    David,

I just don't understand why when it comes to music you can explain, lecture, catechise and even provide them with written documentation on these subjects and they still think you're making it up just to be a "big meany."

Because every other expression of post-conciliar liturgy HAS BEEN made up, perhaps? My boss and I were discussing this yesterday; the ultimate problem isn't over this abuse or that, it's over whether people see the liturgy as something RECEIVED or not. If it's not received from tradition, you may in fact do as you please.

I've never really had a problem even with visiting cantors with saying "don't do that." Sometimes my regulars forget, like my rule to back away from the microphone while the congregation sings the response. When we have a visiting cantor for a funeral and I say "We don't have the cantors sing in front of the microphone during hymnody," I usually just get a look like I just told them we use Oreos for communion and then they just do what I said. If I were to be here any longer, I would print out a booklet like the CMAA FAQ to give them any visiting cantor.

I understand cantoring leads to diva-ism, but I don't run into it in my current parish. In fact, it's more a matter of encouraging people than discouraging.