How much study on piano is necessary before studying organ?
  • Unda_Maris
    Kevin in Kentucky: I agree with you. Solid piano study transferred to the organ can be invaluable. My former choir dir. in Boston was a friend of Dupre's. Dupre said that organ study should not be taken up until a piano student can play selected Chopin "Etudes" well. In this day and age, we probably wouldn't have many organists if that were the criteria. But Dupre's point is well taken. The more solid piano facility one can take to the organ is best. I had nearly 20 yrs. of piano study before I began studying the organ. The best asset I had from my piano study to take to the organ was complete relaxation of shoulders, arms, wrists. My piano training was of the "Russian School" which insisted on supple arms, wrists, shoulders, and a beautiful sound. A beautiful sound isn't required for the organ, but relaxation, finger substitution and articulation will come more easily with a solid and well-taught piano background. The feet issue will have to be worked out on it's own at the organ. But some of the "relaxation" and supple movement of the feet, can be learned from the same training of the hands.

I have a friend who had 2 yrs. of piano study before he went to the organ. But his piano teacher never spoke about support from the shoulders, arm weight, supple wrists and relaxation. When I tried to help him, he was completely unaware of these things. Consequently he transferred all of his "tension" and bad technique from the piano to the organ, and now he can only practice in short sessions, as he develops tightness in the wrists, which can lead to carple tunnel syndrome and other hand/finger disorders.

So, in IMHO, the more solid technique one can bring to the organ from the piano, can only help one progress more quickly and efficiently at the organ. Don't underestimate the power of solid and well-taught piano technique. The study of some of the 2 and 3 part Inventions of Bach is a good start, but one is delusional if they think that is all they need to transfer to the organ.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    A beautiful sound isn't required for the organ

This explains so much....
  • CharlesW
    That isn't what he/she meant! LOL
  • Unda_Maris
    Adam, I'm aware that hand or finger touch doesn't define a beautiful or ugly sound at the organ. Proper registration and articulation take care of that issue. But if you're seeking a scapegoat for lack of solid piano study because a beautiful sound isn't required for the organ, then you've missed my point. You should note that some of this and the last several generations of organists were also solid, competent pianists as well: Marcel Dupre, Olivier Messiaen, Flor Peeters, Jeanne Demessieux (who won 1st prize in a piano competition while a student at the Paris Conservatoire), Anton Heiller, Cesar Franck, Josef Rheinberger, Felix Mendelssohn, Johannes Brahms.

Regrettably, we live in a world now of "instant gratification" with cell phones, computers, TV, etc. This attitude, unfortunately, has spilled over into music study as well. "A little bit of this, and a little bit of that" with regard to piano study is "good enough" for organ study. Now that we've fulfilled that "elementary piano obligation" and got it out of the way, we can move on to the organ. Why some people don't make the connection that what one learns from one instrument can be transferred to another. Many of my piano teachers told me that if one wants to create a beautiful singing line at the piano, don't listen to another pianist, but listen to a singer. I think musicians these days (myself included) don't trust "our ears" and what to listen for in music. Without a doubt, one can eventually learn to play the organ with some, little, or no piano study, or with careless or indifferent piano teaching. But the transfer and progress is very slow and frustrating, despite the fact that one learned some 2 & 3 part Inventions of Bach. How much one chooses to apply solid piano training/technique to the organ is up to the student. But in any event, it is a musical education and opens one's mind, ears and strengthened independent fingers to musical possibilities. In short, it's never wasted time to learn more, the ability to apply it elsewhere and shorten the transfer time.

At a Cliburn piano competition in the 1990s, I once met a respected piano pedagogue of piano literature at a respected music school. He was astounded at Freshman and Sophomore piano students in his classes at the music school who couldn't name some of the "legendary pianists". Finally two students answered with "Rubenstein" and "Horowitz". (Barely a "stab" at the number of famed concert pianists of the last 100 yrs.!!) These talented students could play some of piano repertoire for their auditions to be accepted to the school, but didn't know anything about the history of their instrument or the great legendary concert pianists who played it. It's an indifference attitude. No curiosity to read about or listen to recordings of famous pianists, or their teachers of a particular "school of playing". Just do the minimum of what I have to do. Most also don't know much about the literature written for their instrument either....only what they've studied. Sadly, the "Dumbing Down of America" is in full force in our society these days and it's also a part of the education system as well. It's no wonder we are behind the rest of the world in academia, technology, transportation, etc.

I've gotten off the beaten path a bit, but I find music study isn't exempt from the instant gratification or "short-cuts" attitude of people in our society today. Perhaps one day, a student can "text" an information exchange with their piano teacher on how to play the Two & Three Part Inventions, thereby getting on the organ bench even sooner.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    unda_:
    it was a joke.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • CharlesW
    I think what some have implied, is that piano background may be more beneficial when playing Romantic organ music. It can be highly pianistic in technique. Piano may not be as helpful with early Baroque works whose composers never saw or heard a piano. Individual preferences are a factor, too. After I studied and practiced the required amount of piano, I moved on to organ, an instrument I like much more.
    Thanked by 1francis
  • Unda_Maris
    Adam,

My apologies, I wasn't aware it was a joke. I went off on a tangent. LOL Not my intent to be hurtful to anyone, but only sharing my years of experience with piano teachers and organ teachers and how their demands (sometimes accompanied with anger or tantrums) forced me to look and listen more closely and carefully. As tough as some of those years (esp. piano study) were, I wouldn't change any of it. At any rate, I'm happy that I was able to transfer my finger dexterity and relaxation from the piano to the organ. It has made all the difference.

Happy to an exchange of ideas on your piano and organ study anytime. I like sharing ideas and hear of others experiences.

Best,
    Unda Maris
  • R J StoveR J Stove
    "At a Cliburn piano competition in the 1990s, I once met a respected piano pedagogue of piano literature at a respected music school. He was astounded at Freshman and Sophomore piano students in his classes at the music school who couldn't name some of the 'legendary pianists'. Finally two students answered with 'Rubenstein' and 'Horowitz'. (Barely a 'stab' at the number of famed concert pianists of the last 100 yrs.!!) These talented students could play some of piano repertoire for their auditions to be accepted to the school, but didn't know anything about the history of their instrument or the great legendary concert pianists who played it."

That is scary.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Unda_Maris
    Charles,

I agree that a sound piano technique will assist in both Romantic and 20th C. organ literature. I recall how difficult the final sections of the "Incantations Pour Jour Saint" -- Langlais were, and how glad I was to know how to breakdown some of the difficult passages in very small sections and pull them apart slowing, hands separately. I learned this method of practice at the piano as well, and it served me well at the organ.

As for Bach being played on the harpsichord or the modern grand is a matter of taste. Some "purists" think Bach on the modern piano is at the very least blasphemy. I don't happen to agree. I'm not fond of the harpsichord as a solo instrument, but I like it fine in ensemble playing, and with oratorio. One of my piano instructors was Sergey Schepkin (in Boston) who is a Bach "expert". He wrote his doctoral dissertation on the WTC of Bach, and his Doctoral recital was the complete WTC (from memory) in two evenings at New England Conservatory. He often spoke of "articulation" of Bach at the modern piano and how every note must "sing", and carefully observing rests for music to "breathe". Sometimes we used finger substitution in the WTC Preludes & Fugues I learned with him. Very, very little pedal was allowed, and he would mark my score where it was allowed. (God help me if I used it elsewhere!!) But it was very sparse. Legato and a singing tone was created with the fingers, not the pedal. And always, he impressed upon me to trust my ears and listen carefully to every little detail. Nothing can be left to chance or be "smudged." He said the ears are the most useful and beneficial tool a musician can have. My exercises with him consisted of scales in 3rds, 6ths, and 10ths (apparently a Russian school approach) a selection of the 3-part Inventions of Bach, selected WTC - Bach and Moszkowski "Etudes". This is the way Sergey was taught at the St. Petersburg Conservatory, and this was how I was going to learn.....like it or not!! He had a short fuse and his comments could be very biting, but that's how the Russians learned their art with similar teachers. It's all very "Russian School".

Bach, more than any other composer, is more controversial in performance of his organ or piano works. I can't speak for the harpsichord, not having studied it, but suspect the issues there must be similar. I like the Bach organ works recording from the 1960s-70s of Anton Heiller. I think they are very clean, articulated and at good tempi. But again, I'm told by more "Bach experts" today that Heiller's approach to Bach is now considered "dated". And since Bach left little behind in the way of tempi, dynamics, etc., who knows what his intentions were. And if HE were to play his works on the modern grand today, how would they sound? What would be his approach? A never-ending search for truth, justice and the musical way! :)
    Thanked by 1irishtenor
  • francis
    piano... totally not necessary to playing the organ. it would be like requiring the soprano sax before playing the oboe.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    like requiring the soprano sax before playing the oboe

Soprano sax and oboe are C-instruments, but have rather different fingerings and tone production mechanisms (single versus double reed), so the analogy is not good. A better analogy might be that of requiring the trombone before playing the sackbut.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • ClergetKubiszClergetKubisz
    Unda, I agree: Bach's music is not solely for whatever instrument he had available at the time: he wrote much of his music for keyboard in general, so it can really be played on anything with a keyboard.
  • I once owned the small upright piano that had been rigged with a pedalboard with pulldowns for its owner, publisher Carl Ludwig. I can't remember how I ended up with it.

It's done the same as with harpsichords with pulldowns and organs - a cord tied to a screw eye on the end of the pedal goes up through a hole drilled in the keybed and tied to a screwy on the bottom of the piano key.

[Francis, as you get out your electric drill....this is best done on your own piano, not the church piano]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pedal_piano

https://sites.google.com/site/sutherlandharpsichords/instrument-building/pull-down-pedal-harpsichords

http://www.hubharp.com/musings_pedalharp.htm
  • CharlesW
    I have often wondered, if Bach were able to return today, if he would say, "Stop screwing up my music!"
    Thanked by 2elaine60 Gavin
  • The soprano saxes I played in quartets at university were B-flat instruments, not C. :) Fingerings are similar in a general way to those of the oboe and flute, but there are enough differences that I quietly went insane at some point during every oboe class and practice session. Don't even ask about how flute class went for me, right after trumpet class. Not recommended.
  • It would profit for an organist to study an instrument for which composers like Chopin, Schumann, Rachmanninov, Ravel, Beethoven, Brahms, Schubert wrote the most beautiful and imaginative repertoire. Let's also consider that Dupre, Messiaen, Vierne, Langlais, etc admired and respected deeply said composers and pianistic repertoire.
  • francis
    yea... i will probably have to build my own Noel. I keep looking around the for the components, but holy expensivo!
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I have often wondered, if Bach were able to return today, if he would say, "Stop screwing up my music!"

I doubt it. He seemed to appreciate innovation, improvisation, and adaptation. He was keen on newly invented instruments and tonal theory.

While his contemporaries considered him to be somewhat old-fashioned, he was anything but a museum-keeper.
  • CharlesW
    What I am getting at, is that Bach might heartily disapprove of how modern scholars have decided his music should be played. With no recordings from that time, and few written indications, is any musician's interpretation about as good as any other's? Some of the greatest performers of all time certainly disagreed with current practices, and they were much closer in time to the source.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    J.S. Bach actually had and used a harpsichord with pedals. And Mozart had a fortepiano with independent pedals (separate set of strings from those of the keyboard). Robert Schuman had more than one pedal piano and composed music for the instrument. My recollection is hazy, but I thought I once saw a photograph of Wanda Landowska playing a pedal harpsichord (or pedal piano).

Pedal harpsichord, by Yves Rechsteiner is a marvelous article, replete with pictures of interesting examples.
    Thanked by 1R J Stove
  • Earl_GreyEarl_Grey
    I'm going to go out a limb here and suggest that all church musicians should learn 3 chords on the guitar and be able to play through all volumes of Glory and Praise before studying Gregorian Chant!
  • francis
    Bach doesn't care 'how' you play his music... he just wants you to play it well. He didn't even care which instrument played which part because his music is transparent and doesn't require a particular instrument on a part.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • francis
    Earl_Grey:

Do you mean D, G, A or do you mean I, IV, V in every key?!
  • CharlesW
    Nice to hear you say that, Francis! I know he doesn't care, he's dead. LOL. But still nice to hear you say that.

Earl_Grey, get off that limb before I saw it off. :-) I haven't seen a G&P in many years. About 12 years ago, a solemn procession to the dumpster was made by some locals with Glory & Praise in hand. They were never seen again - the G&Ps that is. Not saying where I was at the time.
    Thanked by 1francis
  • francis
    CharlesW:

Well, actually I am going out on a limb and saying Bach doesn't care only because I feel the same way as a composer. Good music NEVER requires predetermined instrumentation, organ registration, tempo or interpretation. Just play the notes musically with good artistic sense and we will all like it!
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • BenBen
    So true, Francis! It's not like the registration or the voicing is rubricsed as something required. Just make beautiful music and don't overthink it!
  • R J StoveR J Stove
    CH Giffen writes: "Robert Schuman had more than one pedal piano and composed music for the instrument."

Franck and Alkan owned pédaliers too. Olivier Latry recently issued a CD of music played entirely on a pédalier that used to be in Alkan's possession.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Earl_GreyEarl_Grey
    Do you mean D, G, A or do you mean I, IV, V in every key?!

C F G capo 2 to be more precise! I think Bach would have wanted it that way. ;)
  • francis
    Better yet, tune your guitar this way:

E,B,E,G#,B,E

and use a metal pipe to change chords... of course, you will only have major chords to play with, but what the heck! Probably be more interesting than 99% of what hacking guitar players do now anyway.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood

E,B,E,G#,B,E

and use a metal pipe to change chords... of course, you will only have major chords to play with, but what the heck! Probably be more interesting than 99% of what hacking guitar players do now anyway.

For minor chords, you could have a second guitarist.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen

E,B,E,G#,B,E

and use a metal pipe to change chords...

This is just one of many Dobro (lap steel) guitar tunings available. Many more may be found at Dobro tunings
  • Palestrina
    Given what Dupre did in his Bach editions, I'd take his advice with a tablespoon of salt!

I don't think that it's about having a piano technique at all. To be honest with all of you, if I had my time over, I'd force myself to learn clavichord. It's the instrument that Bach and his predecessors used for practice, and is painfully honest about failures in wrist weight and so on. Joel Speerstra's book on the subject is worth a read.
  • Earl_GreyEarl_Grey
    Where can I buy a real clavichord? Does the Roland even come close? Not that I could afford either one.
  • francis
    Thanked by 1Earl_Grey
  • CharlesW
    Some of the great French composers and organists had a fascination with Bach. Why, I don't know, but they did. I think Dupre, as member of a different school of music, tried to decipher and interpret music that had pretty much become obsolete and unknown by his time. His intentions were good, but he didn't have much factual information to go on. Sounds kind of like Solesmes, doesn't it? What I find amazing is that both did as well as they did.
  • kevinfkevinf
    Though one could take Dupre "as a grain of salt", his maitre Widor was also insistent on piano technique as the basis of organ technique. Sure, you can blow off Dupre, but have you listened to his recordings? The man had technique and so did his students. One of my teachers also studied with Helmut Walcha and Walcha made the same claim. So, don't limit that claim to the French.

Clavichords are great, but not easily available. Pianos: easily available. Pretty much answers that question. Bottom line,: piano technique is necessary for playing anything past 1850 and certainly does not hurt anything before 1850. There is too much repertoire needing technique from the piano. Par example: give a pop to the Durufle toccata from the Opus 5 Suite or the Widor 6th symphony or the Langlais Fete without help from the piano. How about Reger or Distler to give equal credence to the Germanic school.

I'll see you at the piano, like I do everyday. Not always fun, but necessary.

Bon courage mes amis.
    Thanked by 2R J Stove Unda_Maris
  • GavinGavin
    I've listened to Dupré's recordings. Nothing worth emulating there. Langlais correctly said something to the effect that it's a shame a composer as great as Dupré is such a rotten organist. Boring boring boring playing.

As to the topic, while piano technique is very helpful to certain repertoires, I would hate for someone interested in the organ to not play because they feel inadequate in piano technique.
  • kevinfkevinf
    @ Gavin. Please cite your source for the quote of Langlais. I am aware of many things Langlais said, but that is not one of them. I wish to know your source. I heard Langlais personally speak kindly of Dupre and his brilliance.
    Thanked by 1R J Stove
  • Palestrina
    Kevin, I study early organ technique: piano is virtually useless to me. Clavichord, however, is excellent. Yes, they're not easy to get, but neither are good organs. Joel Speerstra is on the money as far as it's concerned. I'm sticking to my guns.
  • R J StoveR J Stove
    Thanks, Kevin in Kentucky. Well, there is of course Langlais's famous March 1975 interview in The Diapason. But there, Langlais' censure of Dupré is confined to Dupré's playing of Franck (and to the editing of Franck which was published under Dupré's name; see Graham Steed's 1999 Dupré book for a discussion of how much, or possibly how little, Dupré had to do with that edition).

Dupré's playing of Bach, unless I have totally misremembered the interview, is not mentioned at all by Langlais, either positively or negatively. Still less did Langlais describe Dupré's overall organ ability as "rotten".
  • francis
    This is just another tempest in a teapot.

If you want to play organ, learn it. If you want to play piano, learn it. You don't need training in one to play the other.

I learned both: piano from the age of 5, organ beginning at 17. Piano technique is completely different from organ and vice versa. The only thing that carries over are scale and arpeggio excersizes.

I have never studied harpsichord or clavichord, however, my teacher studied with Gustav Leonhardt, so I would have to get his take on those instruments.

Incidentally, the pneumatic and the tracker are two completely different organs (instruments) and you would have to experience the dif for your yourself.

And you can quote me on any of the above, if you feel the need to do so.
    Thanked by 2kevinf CHGiffen
  • Earl_GreyEarl_Grey
    "Incidentally, the pneumatic and the tracker are two completely different organs (instruments) and you would have to experience the dif for your yourself."

Sorry I couldn't resist. :)

And guitar technique is completely different from all keyboards techniques!
  • CharlesW
    I have played pianos, trackers and pneumatics. I was neutral about the piano, hated the trackers and liked the pneumatics. Never played guitar. Do ukulele and tenor recorder count? I played a wicked kazoo in my youth. ;-) I wonder if NPM offers a section on liturgical kazoo? LOL
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    And you can quote me on any of the above, if you feel the need to do so.

What if I just quote this part. Would that be okay?
  • Earl_GreyEarl_Grey
    Seriously, if anyone wants to learn guitar, particular at a young age, I would suggest starting on a uke rather than a cheap guitar.

I better get back to practicing on my digital piano--'cause it's all I got. Oh well. Better than nothing.
  • francis
    Adam

Actually, that line is copyrighted © Copyright 2013 Francis Koerber, and no part of that statement may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, transmitted or retransmitted, in any form or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording or otherwise, without the prior written permission of the author.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Can I quote you on THAT?
  • francis
    Adam

Yes, I would be flattered!
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    When acquiring a home practice instrument, how important is it that the pedalboard is AGO standard?

Background: I could acquire a 2-manual Yamaha theatre-type organ with 25-note (2 octave) flat, detachable pedalboard for $300. It is in very good shape. Would this be worth it? The price is certainly right!

FWIW, this isn't the only organ I would play on; the organ at church is to AGO standards.
  • CharlesW
    You are using your legs and you know best what you can work with. If you are comfortable playing the non-AGO pedal board, then go for it. We who are short of leg tend to have difficulty with flat pedal boards. ;-)
    Thanked by 1R J Stove