How much study on piano is necessary before studying organ?
  • GavinGavin
    Francis may not have played Bach quite the way I prefer it, but I truly enjoyed listening to the above video all the same. Well done, Francis!

I'm a rather enthusiastic fan of Ton Koopman - though the European organists I've met think him rather silly. Again though, I'll applaud anyone who plays Bach in an enjoyable manner; legato, staccato, and anywhere in between.

For those interested also, I have a recording here of me playing the Bach Passacaglia in my senior recital.
  • Calming down is certainly in order - there is no need to trade personal insults on musicality or performance quality. Still, the original question was from a beginner, which is what sparked my comments. For a teacher there is a responsibility to teach well, as it will form the beginner. If you are going to teach beginners, you need to have at least a rudimentary understanding of the fact that musical aesthetics have changed over time. Bach is not Beethoven, nor is a Romantic-era pianoforte legato aesthetic applicable to the early 18th century. If you encourage a student to play Bach however they feel is best, then frankly you are irresponsible as a teacher. The way you introduce an organ student to Bach forms their approach to one of the greatest organ composers (and greatest body of work for the instrument), for the rest of their life. Please, please do at least a bit of research before encouraging students one way or another. The phrase "we don't have Bach recordings" is a trite way to avoid dealing with all of the treatises, fingering guides, and discussions of technique we do have from Bach's time. For a very basic intro, I recommend Quentin Faulkner's "J.S. Bach's Keyboard Technique: A Historical Introduction."

I also want to give my disclaimer again that the issue is not 100% certain as to the one CORRECT way of playing Bach - that's why you need to do some studying. What I am talking about is a specific French approach from the turn of the century that is clearly at odds with the aesthetic of Bach's time - the absolutely strict legato style. IOW, you can eliminate some specific methods without having to propose that there is only one way to play something.

And while you're discussing credentials, you have to realize that many American teachers and schools were formed by the French (esp. Dupre and Widor) dogmatic insistence on legato in Bach (for example, Arthur Poister and Albert Schweitzer). So you can still find high caliber organists teaching who have not grappled with the issue (or they just do what their teachers did).
    Francis' insistence on a completely relativist, absolutely subjective personal approach to music is a bit disturbing. But I don't necessarily begrudge it to him, as long as he doesn't teach beginners that nothing matters stylistically.
    Next up - I will release the complete works of Franck...STACCATO! A landmark recording! Come on - is it so horrible to suggest that we need to think about things like style and context and what we know about the composer, when approaching a piece of music?
  • francis
    kirchenmusik:

If you review the entire thread above, you will realize that it was you who dissed ALL possibilities except your own. Most organists subscribe to a more general approach concerning performance style and technique. Most all interpret Bach with their own slant, including yourself. I (and many) have adopted a little from each school, so we are employing techniques from various schools, leaning toward some techniques earlier in our careers and to others later on. I also play Bach Staccato at times, but I never had the chance to express that as you immediately put yourself up as the expert, no questions asked.

I would also make it clear that I did not insult you at all nor trade personal insults on musicality or performance quality. I simply stated my opinion, even when you threw insults at me. But that does not hurt me. All of our performances are imperfect.

I don't "teach" organ, so you don't have to worry about me handing on techniques to beginners. I do, however, teach on a much broader level, such as those who visit here. They will weigh our conversation above and decide for themselves on what is true, authentic, right, correct, and what is not. The problem with schools today is that they teach you a method, a particular way of doing things, but they don't teach you how to think. That, my dear kirchenmusik, is where I lead a different school. Each artist, each person, each musician must think for him/herself. Then all of life will be interpreted well.

None of my teachers, and I studied with a number of GOOD teachers for 25 years of my life, (my last professor was a student of Leonhardt himself) ever told me I was playing Bach wrongly. It's a horrible mistake to tell your student that. The greatest horror is you destroy their spirit.

As you are now beginning to realize, those with credentials can often lead to a dead end. As you yourself stated above:
    And while you're discussing credentials, you have to realize that many American teachers and schools were formed by the French (esp. Dupre and Widor) dogmatic insistence on legato in Bach (for example, Arthur Poister and Albert Schweitzer).
    So, now it is you yourself who has shown us that credentials can often be suspect.

However, we all here are very devoted to personal study, devotion, practice, fingering, applying historical music to modern instruments and sentiments of our time, artistry, and most of all, listening to the many recordings of various artists who have done the same as us, all aiding us to the best approach to any style of music, and we own our styles in the end.

I leave you with a small article that hit the news today, where Our Holy Father addresses the same sort of issue, science over God.

http://www.zenit.org/article-34719?l=english

The third paragraph is particularly striking:

He expressed concern in regards to the “crisis of thought” where man “almost dazzled by technical efficiency [...] forgets the fundamental horizon of the question of meaning," thus bringing man to search for absolute truth in science and not in God.

So, kurchenmusik, please continue on with us in our quest for the best, the highest, the most human, the most divine in sacred music and while we share our thoughts and philosophies, let us all hold each other up in very high regard, because we all have the credentials of the Holy Spirit.
  • [Deleted by author]
  • francis
    Actually, Michael, read it again. You have twisted my words. I said that to play it exactly the same every time is boring, etc. Suppose all the organists in the world played Bach exactly the same tempo, the same fingering, the same rubato, the same registration. ...Not a world I (and I suspect you) want to live in. I (we) like ALL the interpretations of Bach INCLUDING kirchenmusik's if he is willing to share it with us! That is why I kept asking to hear it!

This was my conclusion which INCLUDES kirchenmusik and his/her interpretation just as much as anyone elses.

Conclusion: One person's legato interpretation of Bach can be more beautiful than one persons non-legato performance, and vice versa.
  • Francis,

Just to be clear I did not think you ever insulted me - nor did I think I insulted you (if you think so please provide a quote because that was not my intention). I was actually hoping to calm things down between you and MichaelM above. His comments on your recording struck me as kind of mean-spirited.
    If the student says "I like to play Bach legato" and the teacher says "Dupre legato is not stylistically appropriate for Bach, any more than detached playing is appropriate for Dupre" - this is in no way an insult to the student. They are not a bad player or musician, however they need some help in the stylistic department. A student who says "I like doing this music my way, and I will be insulted and crushed if any teacher says otherwise" - is a bad student. At the extreme least a good student needs to do things their teacher's way while studying with that teacher. All of my teachers have had this understanding. While I'm with them I do things their way, and they know that what will make me a unique performer is my critical decision about which things to take away from their teaching.

A teacher who said categorically "you play Bach horribly" would be a fool and a failure as a teacher. A good teacher would say something encouraging (such as "you are an excellent musician") followed by something constructive: "here are some ways to play Bach better, in my opinion."

In my studies I have often been told that I could improve things, and I have many times been told that something I was doing was flat wrong. It never broke my spirit - on the contrary, I appreciated working with excellent teachers who had substantial things to say. I have seen some students who approach with the attitude that their personal way is best - they just don't do very well with instruction. Even the most patient teacher will eventually say "why did you bother coming to study with me if you have no interest in learning anything?" I'm honestly not sure what the elevation of science over God has to do with this discussion, but I believe our Christian tradition has something to say about humility and teach-ability.

If you think the non-legato approach is just 'my way' you need to do some studying of the literature and the practice of the great teachers around the organ world today. In other words, make your own decision, certainly, but make it an informed decision. Credentials can be suspect, which is why it's so important not to base your understanding on the two or three teachers you have happened to study with.
    If you know my other posts, you will know I have an intense dislike of our modern music schools. But one thing I will give them - being in school has put me in contact with music scholarship and with visiting artists and masterclasses with the top teachers from around the world. Please understand that my opinions on the legato/non-legato are not just 'my way' of doing things.

Peace :)
  • Francis,

Oops - I was writing when you posted your last post. You ask for a recording of Bach? Which one? A recording I made when 18? Or 20? Or 25? They are all different, just as every recording must be - it is only a frozen representation of one particular moment of musical activity. So I don't see what sharing recordings really does. What would it prove?
    One thing I have never recorded, though, in all of those different stages of life and different interpretations, is a legato Bach performance. You can go through entire lifetime of personal and unique engagement with Bach's work, without ever imposing on it an inappropriate French-Romantic stylistic idiom.
  • My point is, and will be, Bach utilized an articulate touch to a lot of his playing, as a teacher, students should be exposed to that, call it what you want, method, style, whatever,,,, but it was what he used. Organists of all sorts can utilize that very method or style, and still interprete the music in a very exciting and joyful style. It's not a matter of being boring or uninspired. When in fact that non-legato, non-staccato form, makes it just as exciting, why??? because as pointed out, the french romantic legato school of thought, is the only one being engrained in everyone's minds. When I finally ended up with an excellent professor, she made it a point to, point out that Bach isn't merely a legato style of playing. You can move over fingers without worry, (freedom + liberty), to reach other notes, you can articulate in a way, known to Bach, in his very artistic and improvisorial sense, without the legalism of legato.

I enjoy improvising as well, and wouldn't go a day without it, but when it comes to one of the greatest master's of the organ, Bach, I side with kirchenmusik, in that we should definitely be exposed and interprete Bach's works with that same, core fundamental technique he used, which above all, promotes even more the thought of improvising, and being "inspiring" , freedom, etc.... Being legal to legato, to me, shows uninspiring, and boring. Everything should be connected, your foot move like this, your fingers have to be like this...... nahhh, I don't subscribe to that.

I think what you find as a legalism to following Bach, is really actually an open door to more. Instead of constantly playing everything "legato"
  • francis
    Peace to you in Christ also. And to Michael.

I think we are all arriving at the same place after all. I am still not sure why my comments were perceived to be so volatile. I was not offending anyone's particular school of thought or performance. I truly like to hear ALL opinions. But I cannot reduce humanity to a single performance. That is what I labelled boring.

Perhaps part of what people detect in me is that when I went to school (Peabody Conservatory of Music) in the 80's, I was told (as a composition student) that using the musical staff was passe. I was told that by teachers with Doctorates (super credentials). Well, they may have had credentials, but they were not musicians... well, at least they were very LOST musicians. Many of them traded experimentalism for musicality, and they never returned to true musicality. They disconnected from society at large and went into a proverbial cave. (cave musicians?) Well, so did I. I went into a garage converted to studio and taught myself how to compose because I couldn't find a teacher who knew.

I (often) play Bach non-legato too. I am also partially sympathetic to your school of thinking. Good to know ya both, Michael and Kirchenmusik!

To colleagues here... no need to worry about our debates. I think we always like to come to a resolve, a meeting of minds, a fraternity of spirit in these discussions, and that is what makes them so fascinating. Don't you agree? Of course, when guys get into it, it might have a bit more testosterone, but heh... we are professionals and friends hashing out the truths, yes?!
  • One final thought I will leave with you, and the rest of the crew watching this outward display of craziness and non-sense is this. I have asked that my account be canceled to this forum, and I will tell you why, as I am waiting for their response. I am new to this forum in the last couple months, and was warned by several colleagues before coming on here at all, not to join, or come. Why? Some might ask? Well, in discussing with a few very highly respected, couple of reknown organists (names witheld to respect their privacy), they shared the fact that these forums invite pissing matches, bickering, tit for tat, and reflect very poorly on church music in general. It is a very poor reflection on the CMAA. I was cautioned, and should have listened.

It's no wonder, change for the better of church music, will be stalled, or barely break ground, with non-sense like this going on. Many a good organist, with lots to offer, won't join groups like CMAA, AGO, NPM, etc... etc...

Perhaps we need to re-examine ourselves, and think, is working against each other, really going to promote positive change.

Good Luck, God Bless!
  • francis
    MichaelM

We will be sad to see you go, but all of us here are passionate about our profession and our life. This is not a p****** match. It is a healthy discussion, and sometimes we get our danders up, but I have acquired good friends here who see very differently from me. We have learned to respect each other's thoughts and persuasions and give each other room. Doesn't mean we always agree, but we are devoted to making the best of sacred music, and this forum is one of the few places that happens. If you just want pretty and nice and no confrontation to make you think twice, then yes, you probably don't want to engage us. We will tell you what we think, honestly and openly, but also allow you to express your opinion also.

In whatever you finally decide, Godspeed.
  • It's not a matter of healthy discussion, or no confrontation, that all stops at the door when we start to come off with unprofessional banter. I recognize that things aren't all pretty and nice, this is evident in the liturgy alone, but when we are all trying to work towards a common goal of cleaning that up, it is counterproductive to be tit for tat against each other at any rate.

Bach was known for being the superstar, or jazz artist of his time, my point was and is, in better utilizing his method or technique, style, whatever we wish to call it, that opens the doors to a more correct way of interpreting his works. Correct not meaning, you have to hit this note, at this time, or else..... it's quite contrary, and if any evidence of Bach is more clear, is that his techniques were very much a jazz of his time. Not holding to very legal ways of playing. Opening the door up to more exciting playing, without worry about making sure I substituted on that descending scale, or used heels to move over to the next note. From all research on him, it wouldn't have mattered, he would have just picked up his foot, and moved it over an octave without worrying about substituting to make that happen.

• marajoymarajoy
    With all due respect, Michael, the only person who "crossed the line" IMHO, is you with your comment (now deleted) of Francis' recording.

Is it possible that your "reknowned organist" friends have clouded your opinion of this forum before you were able to give it a fair and unbiased chance?

I have been here quite a while, and while there is the occasional heated debate, I certainly have not seen anything that would outweigh my desire to participate in the wonderful wealth of knowledge and love of sacred church music that I can find here, as nowhere else.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • Well marajoy, I hate to burst your bubble, those heated debates that you refer to, the occasional ones, are still "unprofessional." If you believe it's not unprofessional, it just adds to the cautions I was made aware of beforehand. When I came, and observed, and in reviewing older posts, can see exactly what was explained to me. There are ways to have good debates, without deliberating baiting others into anger. It's business management 101.

As for my crossing the line. No ma'me. When you bait someone into an infuriating conversation, and it's clear from other's posts, that that was the intention. I'm sorry. It is unprofessional.

A wealth of knowledge there may be, and how unfortunate, that these, "occasional" heated debates as you put them, seem to cloud in the way of providing that knowledge to others. There is no reason to be holier than thou. I'm sorry!
  • marajoymarajoy
    Who ever claimed this is a "professional" forum? This is the internet for good grief! One of the reasons I enjoy it so much is because it is mostly a bunch of amateur "lovers of music/liturgy."

And were you referring to me as being "holier than thou?" If so, wow. Just wow. Don't let the door hit you on your way out!
    Thanked by 2Gavin Spriggo
  • No one said it had to be a professional forum, but as musicians in a church, we should be professional! Period! No matter where you conduct yourself.

No I was not specifically referring to you in that statement. Why don't you stop trying to fuel a fire! Maybe reading the rules of etiquette on the forum, might help. I know I sure reviewed them. Hence my decision to delete previous posts.

As for your comment about doors hitting me on the way out, nice, and very classy!

• marajoymarajoy
    I explicitly said that "IF" your comment was referring to me. Apparently it wasn't, but it still was a very "unprofessional" thing to say to anyone, and I have yet to figure out to whom it was referring, or why...
  • To whom it is referring to, is those select few, that in reading many, many past posts, that did get into a few heated debates, and continued to fuel those fires.

So perhaps in good reflection now, we can pay close attention to # 4, and # 10, of the etiquette, and remember that, yes, this is the internet, but that doesn't mean being professional checks itself outside of the forum.

And food for thought, while this may seem like a bunch of "amateur" lovers of liturgy, the organization of the CMAA, is a professional organization. What is represented here, should also reflect that.

And while your comment may make mention of "IF", there is no need for those "classy" remarks. You can just ask the question, if I was referring to you, before attempting to fuel more fire.
  • marajoymarajoy
    Michael, your posts are baffling to me. (I really have no "stake" in this battle- I don't really care all that much how anyone plays Bach. I may like some ways more than others, and acknowledge that some ways might be "closer" to what Bach "intended" than others, but otherwise, I certainly don't care how anyone else plays Bach. And I actually don't even really care whether you stay or go. I mean, I think it would be unfortunate if you left over something like this, but if you really think so lowly of this forum, then ok.)

But that thing that you are failing to acknowledge is your own double standard. You come in here, and are criticizing people right and left (fine- go ahead and say you were baited- it takes two to tango...) accusing people of being "holier than thou," basically telling everyone on this forum that we are obnoxious p*ssers or whatever, now accusing *me* of "fueling the fire," (and once again, it takes two to tango...)

Then you go and delete most of your posts so that no one can ever see any evidence of whatever part you had to play in this particular heated debate.

And now I suspect you're going to go and tell your "renowned organist" friends all about this exchange to verify to them how horrid this forum is...conveniently continuing to fail to admit to yourself or them that you had any part to play in it.
    Thanked by 2gregp Spriggo
  • marajoy, I am glad that you have taking the time to look at "my" sins, and yet, fail to recognize your own. My conversation was between francis and kirchenmusik. None of us have apologized over the said comments, but have come to conclusion on the discussion, as reflected by francis in his last post. Nonetheless, as for criticizing, yes, I making an observation as to why many and many others, that would offer even more wealth to the knowledge already present, won't participate in this endeavor. Perhaps reflecting on why that is, would be of great value, and instead of newcombers, coming in, and reading all the past posts, which have all the above in it, and deterring participation, etc...

First of all, deleting all my past posts, including many with neutral conversation, was and is my choice. If I see that I have made a comment in a few that perhaps I repent, it is my choice to remove it. Period! It has no place to continue fueling a blaze. Again this is my choice, and it is purely from my perspective of recognizing my comments, and keeping from fueling this any further.

Now it appears you are just another one of those, that loves to fuel fires, and watch good fights. As far as I am concerned, I am done discussing it with you. You want to keep chattering on and on. Good for you. Prove my point more!

And on a final point, for your information, I am not going out out tell the rest of my colleagues, what has transpired here. One, I need not do that, because there are many good posters on here, that do provide good insight, and knowledge, and give the CMAA a good name. Their is no reason to drag down the CMAA over anonymous posters to it's forum. I believe wholeheartly in what it promotes, and that is a cleaner liturgy. So to respond to your statement that I am going to tell the world, that is clearly a no!
  • CharlesW
    There are so many Bach "experts" running around with opinions, I often find more serenity in not playing Bach at all. Certainly, that is a factor in choosing what to play.
  • francis
    I think it time for some Ella Fitzgerald, a single malt scotch and a good bowl of Macbaren's Latakia.

MichaelM, I wish you the best and will hope to hear you play on or off video or audio at some point in time.

Godspeed.
  • francis
    kirchenmusic

we want to hear all of your recordings! we look forward to hearing them because anyone who can and does play bach deserves to be heard and appreciated.
  • R J StoveR J Stove
    Getting back to the subject of piano study, which was after all the original point of this post, I think it's worth noting that several outstanding organists were also outstanding pianists. Dupré, apparently, was a good enough pianist to perform Chopin and Liszt in the concert hall (and he kept up his piano practice along with his organ practice each day). Franck was a piano virtuoso well before he mastered the organ (and to the end of his days some hearers preferred his pianism to his organ-playing). And a former pupil of the late English organist-composer Harold Darke recently said to me: "I asked him how he practiced, and he said: 'I do 45 minutes each day on the piano."
  • GavinGavin
    As I believe I said before, I do not have much of a piano background, and I wish I did. On the other hand, I know a lot of people who were pianists first, and I just don't like their playing.

However, I'd hate for someone to delay taking up organ because they aren't satisfied with their piano skills! I'd say if you have the ability to read piano music and love the organ, take it up!
    Thanked by 2CharlesW R J Stove
  • lledra
    I've never taken any piano lessons. I started taking organ lessons when I was 15 years old. I am now 63. I have been a church organist for years. I've been told by many that I play very well. So, a person doesn't need to take piano lessons before they study the organ. I can always tell when a pianist tries to play the organ and the opposite also.
  • hartleymartin
    One advantage to learning piano is that you will learn music theory, how to read music, etc. I find that it particularly helps when you know how to play something on the manuals only then develop your pedal technique. Don't discount the amount of organ music written for manuals only such as the English and Spanish organ composers.

Don't get the obsession with Bach. Certainly his is some of the greatest music of all time, but there is a lot of excellent stuff out there that is easier and just as effective in a parish church situation.
    Thanked by 1R J Stove
  • R J StoveR J Stove
    Back in the day, I could tickle the ivories well enough (I managed the simpler Beethoven piano sonata movements) to realize my severe pianistic limitations. Falstaff's hopes of becoming Henry V's prime minister were the ultimate expression of gritty Machiavellian realism, compared with my childhood hopes of becoming a professional pianist.

Only in my late 30s did I perceive the fact that the organ was actually suited to my abilities, such as they were, in a manner that the piano wasn't. Organists need to think polyphonically: cool, since I could think polyphonically. Organists can use sheet music in concerts: cool, since my capacity for memorization was always limited. Organists need to improvise: cool, since I could improvise (though my improvisations, as Dorothy Parker might have put it, "will leave the Seine as damp as ever").

Perhaps something like this piano background is the happiest medium for an organist. I've encountered a few musicians whose training was entirely in the violin, the flute, the clarinet, or some such melody instrument. They really struggled with not just theory, but the most basic counterpoint.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • hartleymartin
    I thoroughly agree with you, even though my ability with counterpoint is limited to the simpler English ones. Bach is still a bit beyond me. I love how I understand how parts blend. It's also made me a better chorister than I might otherwise have been.
    Thanked by 1R J Stove
  • R J StoveR J Stove
    In some place or other, Albert Schweitzer wrote that a thorough exposure to Bach's output (while he was thinking mainly of Bach's organ output, the observation stands in other contexts, whether pianistic or otherwise) robs any musician of the ability to take pleasure in composers where contrapuntal significance is lacking. I think Schweitzer had a point here; and whenever I've needed to re-approach - taking an extreme instance - Poulenc, I find that the absence of polyphonic interest in even Poulenc's best work really does rather get me down. These days, I suppose, Schweitzer is considered a bit of an Aunt Sally by breast-beating Orgelbewegung types, but I periodically go back to his writings on organ music with continued profit.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • kevinfkevinf
    The French school's insistence on good piano technique is at the heart of good organ playing. I attended Harald Vogel's classes on baroque playing and in a comment to a young organ student, he noted," Dupre is right. Organ technique is different but still takes the facility of piano technique.: Vogel and Dupre are about as far apart as one can get with regards to baroque practice, yet Vogel used Dupre as the example to make his point.

The great (at least in my book) Charles Tournemire was offered to tour the US not as an organ recitalist but as a concert pianist.

My organ students study the piano as well as the organ and I insist on piano practice every day as well as practicing the organ. I myself do the same. Try playing the French romantic and modern school without good piano technique and you will quickly learn of your limitations.
  • ClergetKubiszClergetKubisz
    Francis is right: theoretically none. I didn't have official keyboard or piano training before I started learning the organ (or rather teaching myself the organ). My piano skills actually got better when I started playing organ, not the other way around. Since then, I've also been able to use my newly developed piano skills to augment the organ skills, and thus the relationship has become symbiotic.

It helps to have familiarity with keyboard instruments (i.e. you can find where the notes are), and the ability to read music (which is one of the things normally learned in basic instrument lessons, such as piano, which is probably why most proponents of piano first will tell you that piano is necessary before learning organ: to learn how to read the music and get the familiarity with the keyboard layout).

In speaking with Reynolds Organ Co of Marion, Indiana, their CEO is a trained organist, with a degree from Ball State University, and studied with Dr. Kirby Koriath. His suggestion is that when a student can play a Bach two-part invention (it doesn't matter which one), they are ready to begin organ study.

Of course, all of the above is probably the best way to go about it, but I did it backwards and it worked out ok. I am actually a proponent of having some piano experience first, but I really don't put a number on the amount of years or whatever that you have to have before you can touch the hallowed keys of the organ. My goal is to get the student to have the above mentioned abilities: be able to read music at the keyboard and know where all of the keys are. The rest generally comes with experience, and advanced musical concept training.
  • CharlesW
    I didn't have more than a few years of piano, and did most of that because I had to in college. Easily and comfortably I tell anyone who asks that I don't consider myself a pianist. I fell in love with the organ at an early age, and that is the instrument I wanted to play. I don't think Bach is beyond me, since I played his works in school when I had to, but he is not my favorite composer. Some of the Baroque literature I don't really like, which makes it easy to not play much of it.
  • I really don't think it matters, as these are two entirely different instruments. The advantage to playing piano prior to organ is that you already know the keyboard and basic theory. The disadvantage, of course, is that you only know how to play one keyboard and not triple manuels with different sounds. The technique is also very, very different. Most pianist have trouble trying to switch to the organ when they've been used to sustaining pedals. Even without pedal technique on the organ, loss of the sustaining pedal can be disconcerting to some (me included).

If you have a decent sense of musicality and know basic music theory, I don't see much of a problem with switching over. Of course, practice makes perfect!
  • I'm new here. I'll introduce myself properly later, but wanted to comment on this.

I'm starting again after a very long hiatus and am really struggling with reacquiring some of the basics - my left hand frequently seems to belong to someone else altogether and my feet have apparently retired altogteher and moved to a warmer climate. Despite what some say it is not at all like riding a bicycle - you do forget and some things simply need to be relearned from a pretty basic level.

The idea that some keyboard experience is necessary has been around for a very long time. I suspect this traditionally had more to do with ensuring that valuable practice time on an organ (or that the time of the organ teacher wasn't taken up in imparting the basics of keyboards and reading music) then any real transferability of some aspects of piano or clavichord technique to the organ.

Some familiarity with the keyboard still seems necessary before starting the organ - decent organ teachers aren't common and most probably don't want to spend their time teaching the very rudiments of keyboard technique. Most decent organ teaching books/methods assume at least some ability to read music and navigate a keyboard. True beginner's methods are more usually associated with the piano.

If "learning the organ" means more than bashing out a few hymn tunes, then I think we need to develop some degree of hand independence before we add the complications of combining feet with hands. In this day and age it could possibly be some time spent with a cheerful electronic keyboard rather than a piano. Plastic keys and lightweight touch may not be an ideal background for playing a 3 manual tracker, but will still allow some of the basic skills to be developed.
    Thanked by 2irishtenor R J Stove
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    Welcome, MDE!
  • A friend and fine organist and even finer choirmaster (this is all one person) kindly offered me organ lessons some years ago, and I did make some progress over several months, but lacking piano skills made it slow going, of course. Hand independence was an issue, as was basic reading. I was able through drill and memorization to play the beginning and end of the Durufle Epiphany prelude, to my amazement. The middle bit with the pedals, not so much. But it was learning by rote; I couldn't really read it as I played.

I suppose the keyboard skills could be learned on the organ rather than the piano, and there are enough differences (substitutions, pedal, registrations) that this might actually work better sometimes, but of course pianos are more readily accessible and plentiful. And I can see the advantage of learning the keyboard skills without the complications of multiple keyboards and registrations.

I thought I did some good improvisations, especially at night in the church alone. I just kept to the white keys. I reported this to my teacher, and he advised me to throw in a B-flat to see where it took me. It took me to F, as it happened. This improvisation talent came in handy when he had me play a simple piece during Communion while he went downstairs to receive the Sacrament. When the piece derailed, I vamped in C major until I could get back on track (because who knew the piece to begin with?). You all will be glad to hear I don't play the organ anywhere now!
  • John Stanley couldn't read music either, and had no pedal technique to speak of. With all that no one has ever suggested he wasn't a real organist.
  • hartleymartin
    John Stanley was blind and I think his wife is the one who wrote down most of his music for him.
  • From Dupre's Course on Improvisation (Vol. 2) - the first chapter of which is titled "The Piano, Basis of Organ Technique":

"It is impossible to play the organ well unless one has first a real pianist's technique. That is why an organist is on the wrong track unless he devotes several years to an intense study of the piano."

More telling:

"An organist cannot any more than a pianist omit serious study of the Chopin Etudes and Liszt Etudes Trancendantes."

However, a good case can be made that this is a self-fulfilling prophecy, as Dupre came from a generation of organists schooled in virtuosic manual technique, and therefore wrote music that is pianistic. He also taught at a time when many major organs either had a pneumatic Barker assist to reduce the key pressure necessary to play. There was also a great deal of 'electrification' of organs going on around in the early 20th century in France, which again altered the fundamental technique of playing through a pluck point of wind pressure.

So, if Dupre starts with the assumption that piano is the basis of organ technique, and then writes pianistic music (assuming that you, the organist, are a master of Chopin and LIszt), then it follows that you will be pretty lost playing his music without a virtuosic piano background.

It does not follow that you can't play the organ well without serious piano study. You will be just fine playing the music of composers who worked before Romantic piano virtuosity pushed the boundaries of technique, or who do not base their writing on pianistic conventions. If, like some here, you hold the French Romantic as the ideal Catholic organ music, you would do well to take Dupre's advice.

The reverse situation is also good to keep in mind. If you are already a virtuosic pianist crossing over into organ, the best place to start may be with pianistic composers. Franck and Messiaen come to mind immediately, as composers who were not particularly proficient on the pedals.
  • I think we're all dancing around an unspoken question here:

Precisely how much study on the piano is necessary before delving into the liturgical accordion?
  • CharlesW
    I think you need to be able to read notes comfortably. Being old enough to reach the organ pedals is also helpful.
  • Allan DAllan D
    Perhaps my experience may be helpful to someone. I studied piano from 4th grade through 8th grade. My dad taught me; I never had formal piano lessons. This was supplemented with music classes in school, where we learned the basics about notes, scales, chords, rhythm, etc. By 8th grade, I was able to play simpler pieces by Beethoven and Mozart, as well as hymns. I had always wanted to be a church organist, though, so I began organ lessons soon after finishing 8th grade. I took two years of lessons, which were taught on a spinet organ with one octave of short pedals, because that's what there was in both my teacher's studio and my grandparents' living room, where I did my practicing. I began playing in church in the 10th grade, and I sort of adapted to the full-size pedalboard, but I was still only using my left toe. When I began applying to colleges and auditioning on the organ, it quickly became apparent that my spinet organ pedal skills were of no use. I also didn't understand registration very well, since the Hammonds and Yamahas didn't have real stops. Despite all this, one very patient professor did accept me as a student, and it took about two years of lessons to re-learn the pedals well enough to play hymns as confidently as I could before. After that, I went on to learn all the standard literature that organ students normally study.

The point of my story is this: regardless of when you begin organ lessons, make sure you are learning to play with both feet, heel and toe, on a real pedalboard; otherwise, you're wasting your time.
    "...but of course pianos are more readily accessible and plentiful."

This is precisely why I recommend using piano to practice organ music. It's also the reason that harpsichords, etc. were used in the old days, and is of course a great reason for practicing piano. The obvious drawback is that you can't practice pedals on the piano, but you can master your manual parts in the mean time and devote more of your practice time at the console to adding pedal parts to the manuals.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    The obvious drawback is that you can't practice pedals on the piano

I hate to quibble, but....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DF864Fev0ws
  • CharlesW
    Can you even imagine what one of those would cost?
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Can you even imagine what one of those would cost?

I can imagine, but it's hard to confirm since you can never get a manual+pedal instrument dealer to tell you what anything costs.
  • elaine60elaine60
    that is awesome. So cool. If only I had one.
    Holy cow, Adam. I didn't even know those existed!
  • chonakchonak
    Wow, a new chaconne on Rota and Mancini's "A time for us" (Love Theme from "Romeo and Juliet")!