Where are the men?
  • canadashcanadash
    It can also be a cultural thing. I directed a choir at an "immigrant" church and there were at least twice as many men as women. They always had an "anthem" like hymn that was TTBB and could melt your heart. It is cool to sing in the culture and the young men wanted to join.

I have about ten men in my choir now four of whom are Phillipino and one an Anglican convert another who spent a long time in an immigrant church. They grew up singing.

Finally, if there is any way to have "scouts" at your church, searching out potential voices. I've noticed that men like personal invitations to volunteer.
  • ghmus7
    I think the loss of the organ as the principal instrument at Mass has also caused the wane of interest for men. I have noticed that men like to sing a good foursquare hymn well supported by the organ. The tinkly guitar strumming weepy songs about our identity drives them away. Do music that has a masculine solidity. They like Latin too.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Clumping all men together and saying what they like is very generalizing. I've known lots of men who wanted to head-bob and sing hymns about chillin' with the Lord.

The key to getting men in your choir is being kind, normal and engaging. Maybe some of the spouses of current female choir members would join if their spouse was truly head-over-heels in love with their experience of being in the choir.

I just can't stress enough that being both kind and normal is key. Men, in my experience, are turned off from being in choirs run by people they see as 'strange'. If you go to a men's club or Knights of Columbus event to try to recruit people, do some research first. Know something about the local sports team (or the parish/school sports teams) or about upcoming or recently passed events that have them talking. Nothing is worse than walking into a conversation about the recent bicyclist convention and trying to change the subject to Gregorian chant. Get the folks to like you, then talk about chant.
  • GavinGavin
    "Clumping all men together and saying what they like is very generalizing."

Not to mention demeaning. And let's also drop the word "manly". I like to shop for clothes, I listen to chamber music, I don't drink American lager, I can't lift anything heavy, and I hate (HATE) sports. I may not be "manly", but I'm still a man. And I'm a darn good low bass, too.

How do you get men to join your choir? Same way as women: if they want to, and their schedule is open, be welcoming.
  • marajoymarajoy
    Slight side conversation-
    Yes, I've been thinking about this whole "real men only love chant and hymns." Contrary to that battle cry which we like to toss around over here, I have been thinking that I actually DO know some "real," very wonderful, Catholic men who luuuuuv contemporary crooning guitar music. Perhaps we should modify our approach in terms of that argument?
    Thanked by 2Liam Gavin
  • matthewjmatthewj

Also, just to note - I wasn't specifying that you need to know about sports in order to recruit men. However, if you're going to a Knights or Men's Club meeting, those groups usually focus on fundraising for the school/church sports teams (as well as other charitable focuses) - so you should know about the teams and/or the charities they help. Showing that you're interested in the aspects of parish/school life that they are interested in will lead to them being interested in music.
  • I was contemplating the impossibility of generalization after getting my bf to listen to the Templars chant. He pronounced it "boring" and when I asked what he would like to sing, he suggested Farran'ts "O Sacrum Convivium". Could've knocked me over with a feather...
  • Liam
    Yes, the men-like-chant-and-sturdy-hymns arguments is weak and should be retired into a deep background role, because it is at best a partial truth. There are plenty of men who love what the Irish would call a "sweet song"; this phenomenon is hardly limited to Irish culture. There are plenty of men who find chant off-putting and they don't like to sing four-square hymns. I remember those men when I was a child, and my father was one of the very few men who sang; he was a great model for me, and not in the macho guy camp. And many of the guys who didn't sing then did start to sing when the folk group arose circa 1970 (though I don't think it was the repertoire but the fact that they executed better than the organist on the dreary Hammond electrical box organ....).
  • As a guy whose tessitura is low baritone, I second the point of men finding it easier to sing and harmonize with an organ accompanying.
  • I wonder if the issue is that men sing if they like the music, and won't if they don't, period, while the women are more likely to be okay with singing stuff they don't prefer?
  • canadashcanadash
    I wonder if the issue is that men sing if they like the music, and won't if they don't, period, while the women are more likely to be okay with singing stuff they don't prefer?

This is not my experience. The men in my choir will sing anything I ask. In fact, they complain far less than the women. They all grew up singing. It is OK for women to sing, not for men... or so the stereotype goes. Very sad.
  • Young men - boys can sing the high parts, don't forget that.

Thats a solution to the some of your tenor/alto problems.

I agree though, in Eastern Orthodox and Eastern Catholic Churches, much like Latin masses that are established for several years (and even Anglican background churches) dont have a shortage of men very often.
  • Try putting on some stuff for 3 equal voices. There are good motets written for three Baritones.
  • Earl_GreyEarl_Grey
    They all grew up singing.

That is essential. Singing must be perceived as a normal part of life. Sing young, sing often and sing through the break.
    Thanked by 2canadash Felicity