Where are the men?
  • gregpgregp
    I am constantly running into the problem of not having enough men to fill out a choir to sing SATB arrangements. We hang on with enough to do SAB most of the time, but I'm wondering if any of you have any suggestions that work for you.

Having sung in various choral groups for the past mumblemumble years, I'm well aware that this is not a localized phenomenon - the only places I've ever sung that did not have this problem were the Colloquium and West Point.

I've tried contacting local music departments, and they're in the same boat! I'm sure this is a societal thing - people in general don't sing in school, and men especially don't because they're either a) playing sports or b) watching sports.

So I'm fairly sure there's no magic bullet, but maybe someone has some success or ideas that we could share and get something going here???????
  • chonakchonak
    The choir I sang in last year had about 10 men and maybe 13 women but it took ten years to build up the group. Some joined because they lived in the parish, while others came from other parishes because the choirmaster had excellent taste and gave the choir worthwhile music to perform. Go ye and do likewise. Also, it helps if your pastor's preaching is worth hearing: that encourages men to stay too.
  • I think this is a cultural issue. The Church has not fostered an environment for decades which is conducive to male participation. Church is women's work. Women cantor, lector, altar serve, distribute communion, are sacristans, run the soup kitchens, work in the rectories, become the pastoral associates, run the committees, and whatever else in a seeimingly majority of cases. (your personal experiences may be different, but we all know the score)

Try forming a men's choir. Then merge the two when needed. Make sure the men's choir sings masculine music.
  • There are a ton of men available, but they are in other parishes and have no idea that people are singing music that they sang and liked in College.

Trust me, build a website for your music program and submit notes and article to the Diocesan news paper....if they do not appear, have your pastor pressure the editor.

Send news releases and copy for free ads to all the news papers around, especially college and ones that are entertainment oriented. You will find that getting yourself on the weekly calendar of these as an event at 7:00 is going to get you new members. There are many out there that are, for example, divorced, reading papers for things to do with the kids on the weekends they have them, and things to do when they do not have the kids...coming across your info will get their attention. Many feel that the church has no interest in them since no one came after them when they stopped going and their efforts at marriage left them with little or nothing except a job and payments to make. Choir? They have a choir? I have had members join for all those reasons.
  • I know 2 EF scholae locally, and both have more men than women. Most of the OF scholae/choirs I know (including the one I'm singing in) have your problem (compounded by some women who probably should retire from singing.) This suggests that it's something in the culture. What, or how to change it, I don't know.
  • Liam
    Another part of your issue is that trying to impress baritones (the predominant form of male voice, as mezzo is for female voices - it's unfortunate that SATB writing tends to favor a distribution of voices that is counter to the actual distribution of voices in the population, so when dealing with amateur voices, one is always tempted to have people sing parts that their voices are not best suited to sing) into singing tenor is not going to yield the Tenor 1s required to do well by much of this repertoire. If you eliminate works where the tenors sing above F, and where the tessitura is not too taxing, you can get away with this band-aid more convincingly.
  • JQ's observation has been true in my experience, too. At the EF parish where I work, we now have to turn men away. Altos are scarce, however. Cultural elements/ trends are certainly at work, but I don't claim to understand them.

Liam's point is also true. Choosing rep that won't frustrate the 'tenors' (and sound bad) is important. And pitching things down doesn't always work, as the the parts, esp altos, revolt.
  • Liam
    MCW,

That's why I didn't suggest changing the keys, just the repertoire. No Handel. You really have to program for SABarB. And that can be done well.
  • Liam
    (And putting amateur altos on tenor parts really doesn't work, as they typically don't read bass clef, don't have a range with any projection below F, so the sense of the line can get lost; however, in a pinch an alto can help with a given passage or assist in the seeming creation of better blend).
    Thanked by 1tomboysuze
  • I suspect that malnourishment did something to voice ranges in the Renaissance. Your typical piece in chiavi naturali (SATB clefs) gives you nice ranges for mezzo, high tenor/countertenor, tenor and bass. That altus part is the problem: too high for most tenors, too low for altos. If you take the piece up for altos, tenors are too high, and altos are still grunting. The guys I know who manage that best have worked up a near-seamless transition into falsetto.
  • Liam, I understood you didn't recommend pitching things down; I just mentioned it b/c some people think it's a work-around. In my experience it usually isn't.
  • Liam
    Good. We're on the same page. I was just joining you, sorry for the confusion.
  • dad29
    If you can, find the ex-Lutheran men in your parish. They sing, and love it.
  • Carl DCarl D
    At my previous parish, I had to battle for years to attract any women to the schola. Chant was perceived as "that monk thing" and no woman wanted to be the first to break the barrier. The trick, finally, was when I held an open workshop in the parish and managed to convince three women to sign up simultaneously.

The idea of a male choir is good, and "manly" :-) music that is more adapted to the men's voices. And look for opportunities to build that peer pressure.

Look for high school or university kids that aren't getting their music through school, and would love a different outlet. Look for home schoolers.
    Thanked by 1tomboysuze
  • Greg, how could I forget you work in an EF environment, too? In light of that, I think Carl and Dad have good suggestions above.
    Search out the converts (former Lutherans, Anglicans...) the homeschool older boys, and the college kids.

And I hope it doesn't sound simplistic, and I'd bet you're already doing a lot of this, but God has always answered prayers for a specific section(s). In His own time, of course. :) Asking your pastor or chaplain and the choir for prayers as you recruit is always a good idea, too.
  • gregpgregp
    Great ideas, everyone. Thanks very much. I've already gone ahead and placed some ads in the local free weeklies.

Part of our problem is that we are creating a parish from scratch. The up side of that was that we got to be the schola by default; the downside was there was no congregation to draw from. We've progressed over time to the point where the men and women can sing the Propers separately now, and I think that will also help attract, since the sound is better.

I am teaching a group of homeschoolers, but they're all 3-6 years old, so that will be a while.

Prayer and perseverance will definitely do.
  • I've always been rather reticent to poach singers from other choirs. If I were a cathedral director, I wouldn't have that issue, but every church needs its men. What's more frustrating is going to a Protestant church and seeing their 80-voice choir. Somehow THEY can do it. Why can't we?
  • Wow, wish I lived wherever you are. I sing tenor, can hit that A above middle C on a good day, and am not ashamed to be singing that high. I like singing, not sports! :-)

Yet in my backwater town the music director, with her temperament, has had the choir quit in droves. One talented with a capital t organist was passed over for a promotion because of her. Then I get insulted by her in front of the whole group. Embarrassing doesn't begin to describe it. So after basically being told my services weren't good enough because God forbid I had never learned the harmony part on Christ the Lord is Risen Today, I never went back. I started permanently attending the EF parish a drive away, not because I was offended, but for spiritual nourishment.

So the men are out there, just find us! Good luck with your efforts.
  • I think the mistaken notion is the premise of the thread- that this is gender-based problem.
    Just like it inevitably always is, the problem, Brutus, is not in the stars.
    I recently had a gentleman from our city college community chorus (Dutch Reformed) ask me after watching a broadcast of our 150th Anniversary Mass whether "we have any women in our choir?" That was more due to poor, always poor, mic'ing by our diocesan TV personnel than our gender and vocal balance. But guys we got.
    It comes down to that strange brew between pedagogical knowledge, communication and inspirational skills that attract more people in general than repels, a clearly articulated vision that you're willing to share, while both resolute and flexibile, with the folks who'll give you the better part of one of their weekday nights, even if each rehearsal isn't bread and roses. And then a pastor who knows 'you still have it' and won't flake out, though every RCC DM has every right to freak out every darn day. (I didn't curse, yay!)
    Whether the DM or ChoirMaster is male or female? Totally irrelevant. Can they make amateurs believe in themselves Priceless.
    Thanked by 1tomboysuze
  • Charles, having the technical tools and temperament that enable amateurs to succeed and feel great about it is huge, agreed!! I always feel like I'm voice teacher, coach, and cheerleader in every rehearsal and liturgy. I ask a lot from choir members. But I always strive to give more. And I truly love the singers.

Still, I don't dismiss the premise/ general puzzlement of this thread. My experience (though meager next to yours, my sacred music Dad) tells me that cultural trends/ issues play a varying role in who sings in choirs. The approach of the director can help stabilize things.

And here I go sounding like the Church Lady again... but I really do believe that God sends the singers needed in any choir, in His own time. What's that saying again- work like it all depends on you and pray like it all depends on God.
  • The reason that the protestant churches can attract more singers is simply because of a wholly different mindset. These are also the churches where the pastor wouldn't think twice about saying "How much money do you make? Well based on that you should be giving X dollars a week as a tithe."
  • I concur, meine lieblische Töchter, with the mitigating factors of cultural trends and (some huge ecclesial) issues hanging over our rehearsal and worship spaces like an unstable, dark cloud that seems to hold us at bay.
    A few more thoughts-
    *I’m sure MOC knows that the 80 voice+ televangelist choirs, their concomitant, hipper kissin’ cousin, the Praise Team, and even august institutions of art such as the MTabernacle Choir are reflections not upon our traditions and sacred art, but a whole ‘nother ethos that I’ll simply dub “sola….” If the banquet table has everything that Home Town Buffet can concoct, plus everything other incredible-edible that Anthony Bourdain, Paul Prudhomme and BBQ Bubba has sautéed, PLUS the slick intoxication of casual, come as you are, you seeker, you….O the men will come and stay for three hours on Sunday before the 1:15pm kick-off on Sunday, and 3 hours on Wednesday night. And no one, no one will contradict the maxim “I’m a sangin’ fer God!”
    *Our liturgical praxis, as we here in CMAA generally agree, reflects a continuing, emerging culmination of a truly progressive notion- that our chants of all of our liturgies are the fullest and most organic realization of thousands of years of worship traditions formed in temples and monasteries, but as Piux X advanced, are not to be relegated solely to the “professionals” in the choir or behind the iconastasis. But….
    *This revelation simply is at odds with so much of what MaryAnn observes- a misperception that the chant culture is inheritantly emasculative, that it is elitist by nature, that it demands not only a discipline Americans are disinclined to exercise, but also an open heart to the challenges of encountering true mystery, not a pre-fab, convenient and consonant perception of my best bud, Jesus and the perfect diatonic triad.
    *Dove-tailing off the previous…I’ve had some parishioner singers opt out of choirs under my direction (both male and female) and move to another director’s ensemble simply because the demands are less. That’s not a negative/positive reflection upon either mode of leadership, it’s just that as choristers, RC’s don’t have a long history and pervasive culture that inculcates singing at worship at an early age. Despite we seasoned seniors’ recollections of parochial school choirs chanting the Requiem from the gallery upstairs, that culture wasn’t consistent in the U.S. pre-VII, and it never yielded the fruits that obviously the Anglican culture cohesively nurtured. So, again, we’re in “terra nova” and we do what can do to re-solemnize the musical aspects of worship as we re-orient our attitudes towards God in church, and not some sort of narcissistic pond that has enchanted us in the last third of the 20th century.
    *Lastly, as I firmly believe that the MR3 will provide the most obvious “in yer face, don’ you get it?” exhortation to the PIPs that ritual responses are, ahem, simply chanted! But, if our celebrant/”presiders” don’t provide the impetus for this growth, or choose to simply ignore and hope it goes away, well they’re wasting a golden opportunity to change MEN’s hearts. What’s really interesting is to encounter a celebrant who doesn’t hesitate to chant presidential orations, but otherwise prefers to sequester all other chant to history’s dustbin. Believe me, some do that, and how that doesn’t cause them a massive headache of cognitive dissonance is beyond my ken. Over the years I’ve observed these two anecdotal examples as “fables.” 1. The celebrant who won’t endorse the chanting of the Pater Noster (Snow) for a variety of reasons- someone will be “excluded”….”my bishop forbids its singing, and I’m down with him”….or other rationales; and 2. the visiting or novice vicar who, at that moment in the liturgy begins to chant the Snow and suddenly the whole congregation erupts, including the manly baritones, even if the celebrant is a whispy tenor! And when I’ve experienced the latter (so seldomly, sigh) I exult in the midst of this deep ocean of pure, unified sonic praise and then wonder, the next Sunday, why anyone would want to return to the pro forma mumbleprayer mode?
    *I believe that there is a solid foundation for reclaiming men’s voices that doesn’t require some false imposition of a testosterone-induced style as advocated by Bartolucci and his minions. And all it takes is a strong, guiding hand from the “alter Christus” during his administrative and liturgical duties.
  • gregpgregp
    Amen, Carolus Magnus!!!
  • Geez, Greg...ironically that's what Wendy christened her new baby pooch, a Frenchie Bulldog:
    Charlesmagne le Harlequin (Charles the Large, the Clown.)
    We just call him Charlie Harley.
  • gregpgregp
    Great minds.....
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Well spoken, mein lieber Freund, Herr Karl! ... aber:

Vielleicht solltest du "I concur, meine liebliche Tochter, ..." schreiben. ("Töchter" is plural!! - and I doubt that your sweet daughter has multiple personalities!! :) )

Too bad some guys just don't get it: singing is both manly and enjoyable.
  • "I've always been rather reticent to poach singers from other choirs. If I were a cathedral director, I wouldn't have that issue, but every church needs its men. What's more frustrating is going to a Protestant church and seeing their 80-voice choir. Somehow THEY can do it. Why can't we?"

Protestant church members may choose not to go to church and switch churches at will...as a result, they will move to a church that has better music if they want to move. I've proved that Catholic will do the same if every other music program in the area fails to meet the wants and desires of singers.

In the city I was at we "stole" members from every parish in town except for one, CharlesW's. That says a lot about his program.
  • Entschuldigen Sie mehr, Herr Dockter, nach acht Jahren von "Deutsch" ich studiert im mit-Schule, Gymnasium und Hochschule dass war 43 Jahren vor, Ich errineret nicht so viel!
    Germans seem to think singing is mannerlich! But then again, some of 'em think soprano sax improv attracts the Frauleins!
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    LOL

Charles, I couldn't resist, because every time I see "Töchter" I think of "Daughters of Zion". Es ist schon seit 51 Jahren, als ich die Deutsche Sprache in der Universität studiert habe. But that "Schuldeutsch" served me well enough when I lived in Heidelberg for a year and a couple of shorter visits since then. My grammar was never that great and since then my vocabulary has become greatly attenuated.
  • That's funny, Chuck, every time I hear someone mention "Be Not Afraid" I start humming Bach's "Fuerchte dich nicht!" I have a Munich native in my schola basses, er is mein Bruder! Now that I've turned the six oh I find myself lapsing into Sud-Deutsch with him quite naturally. Where is that in the Piaget Curve?
  • Blaise
    I'm not sure if the problem of men in the choir is limited only to the church.....when I was in high school choir, we had at most, a total of approximately 20 men, inclusive of both sections (TB), whereas there were almost that number in each of the SA sections alone. I'm going to hazard a guess......let me first make sure everyone understands that it is only a guess based on no proof at all.....that prolly it is because singing, is by it's very nature, is expressive of a person, since the person itself is the instrument, and women tend to be more expressive than men.

(Now, I'm waiting for everyone to take out their online tomatoes and hurl them at the writer of the above paragraph.....)
    Thanked by 1tomboysuze
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    "I've always been rather reticent to poach singers from other choirs. If I were a cathedral director, I wouldn't have that issue..."

I think Michael means that with the resources of a cathedral the temptation would be smaller, rather than that he would consider himself above feeling reticence. We've had several valuable singers go to the cathedral, sometimes returning for extra coaching in chant & sight-reading to pass the schola audition. I hope Rudy knows he owes me!
  • Yes, even though a cathedral has a parish within it, I would feel that a cathedral choir belongs to the entire diocese and can be recruited from it. I should also say that if I know that a church is misusing it's men by forcing them all into unison singing to support the congregation, then all bets are off.
  • Kathy
    Paul, I think my friend Charles in Cen CA is sufficient proof that men and women can both be pretty expressive ;)
    Thanked by 1Charles in CenCA
  • tomboysuzetomboysuze
    What 4th & 8th grades have to do with this problem.....(Warning! arm-chair psychology from a Catholic music teacher)

I'd like to add my observations of why there are no men - from teaching music in Catholic Grade and High Schools for "mumble mumble" years (to quote a friend above).

Around fourth grade, boys become more socially aware in general and that's when there is an emotional shift in their "way of being." (men, am I crazy?) My male students at this point wanted to impress each other more than anything else and it often - very often - caused them to start compartmentalizing more of their emotions. Seems to me that at ages 8-9 boys begin to shut down certain emotional areas that will make them vulnerable. I'm no neuroscientist, but this must be a right-brain event, because as they become less emotionally available, they also become more inhibited. These inhibitions conflict with their ability to express themselves and they don't want to participate in music class anymore because they are afraid (to be vulnerable).

My motto for my boys choirs has always been "if you don't get them before fourth grade you can lose them." There are exceptions, but few.

Then in 8th grade when the male voice changes, a boy that was singing is suddenly "robbed" of his abilities. The gorgeous boy soprano now sounds like a frog. Few voice teachers or choir directors (esp. those in the Catholic School system) know what to do at that point, and sadly, they are told to go home and wait until their voices change.
    At this point, a boy is also awkward - usually. The combination is devastating and they give up and focus on something else...often sports...where there is more money and more male role models.

At the same time, girls are coming into their own. They want to sing. They love to be emotional. They want to be in the choir and have everyone see them in the choir loft and their voices are generally, really nice - pure without any vibrato - perfect for choral blend.

So the girls take over and the boys go away. Either to sports, theatre or smoking cigarettes and trying to get someone to buy beer for them.

The solutions are easy and obvious, but the average Catholic School principal doesn't care. I could go on and on about how music programs that I (and caring parents) killed ourselves to create (and spent thousands of my own money on) as a Catholic School music teacher -- only to stand by while they were thoughtlessly dismantled by arrogant, clueless principals in the Catholic grade schools who didn't want to be bothered with the extra coordination it would take to ....oh I don't know...move the handbell tables into the church so the handbell choir could play with the Honors Choir for their own graduation! (the wonderful Pastor settled that one...deo gratias)

Often, the people in charge have no idea of the damage they do to all the sensitive, artistic kids who don't fit in anywhere else - and who's musical abilities are stopped short because they have no idea what to do with them. And those are the lucky ones. Many Catholic grade school kids never get the chance to discover they have abilities.

I think, or hope, this is slowly, slowly changing, but the problem is that now there is a real lack of classical music instruction in Catholic grade schools. The public schools are much better for this.

If we want more men in our choirs - we have to grow them ourselves. (I do have a plan though.)

• canadashcanadash
    I will add another thought. Start earlier than the school years. Begin with the parents, when the children are toddlers. This is the time when parents are often enthusiastic about what their children can accomplish. I don't know how to do this, but the earlier the education begins, the better.
    Thanked by 1Earl_Grey
  • tomboysuzetomboysuze
    Just playing good music around the house is huge. Actually, now that I think of it, my last child attended all my choir's rehearsals - in utero - and could match pitches at 9 months. Found that out when the piano tuner came. Every time he'd hit a note to tune, my son would sing it from his high chair! It was rather funny, but enlightening.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen mantonio
  • BenBen
    Hahaha!!! Gotta love that!
    Thanked by 1tomboysuze
  • tomboysuzetomboysuze
    I did. But, I'm embarrassed to admit that the piano tuner had to point it out to me as I was running around after another child. I distinctly remember the guy had his head inside the back of the piano trying to remove debris (no doubt). He stood up abruptly, almost hitting his head on the casement, holding his tuning fork in the air and exclaiming, "Did you hear that? The baby is matching pitches!" (I didn't believe him, so we conducted an impromptu experiment on the spot, and, he was right. File under: Reward for conducting the choir while with child.)
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • so, any suggestions on what would be considered "manly" music? In case I ever get more than 2 men to start anything with.
    Thanked by 1PurpleSquirrel
  • gregpgregp
    The Reproaches for Good Friday, sung by 2 or 3 basses.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Byzantine Slavonic chant.
  • BenBen
    This.

And you could actually do something like this too. Just get the Salve Regina (solemn tone) down, then throw in the bass note underneath, and you're good to go. I'd love to hear it in real life.
    Thanked by 1gregp
  • tomboysuzetomboysuze
    How about Praetorius' Sing Dem Hern for a start.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNC772hcKxI
  • marajoymarajoy
    tomboysuze- My first thought imagined a very annoyed piano tuner; "Shut up, kid, I'm trying to tune a piano!"
  • tomboysuzetomboysuze
    hahahaha...he was kind of grumpy......
  • matthewjmatthewj
    If you're having trouble getting men to sing in your average suburban parish, go to the men's club or KofC and ask them to get their entire group together to sing at ONE MASS ONCE. Like a giant men's choir on Mother's Day weekend or something cliche like that. Then you can identify the men who CAN sing well and begin working on personally inviting them to join.
    Thanked by 1Jahaza
  • marajoymarajoy
    matthewj- I think that is a very neat idea. IF it would work. I think the trouble would be convincing those men "why" they should all come to Mass together just so they can sing...
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • WendiWendi
    Matthewj That is BRILLIANT. Mother's Day. Thank you.

I'm going to suggest this to our DM.
  • I remember a thread a few months ago about getting boys to sing, and two women with real experience shared things that work. Some of it was 'developmental," which is education speak for dealing with youngsters, but some of it is masculinity. You might want to look that thread up, because one of the things you have to avoid is any fussiness in the atmosphere. Make the atmosphere, "This is what we are singing and how we are singing it." Teaching and fitting the music into the Mass for the day--fine. Talking about how it makes you feel---not so fine. Some very fine jazz musicians rehearse in my home all the time. My housemate, a superb guitarist, finishes with saying, 'Hey, that left me with a good vibe." That's it. Never once hear them say anything about how they feel--it shows up in the music.

Also, frankly, a lot of people will have had experience with volunteer DM's who were doing it because they had a "point" to make musically, usually in the 'praise and worship" and "inclusive" direction, and that usually means driving men away. So make sure that you don't have a conversation among the three people who are organizing things making the men feel as if their presence was merely tolerated.

I agree with Frogman that letting people at schools, etc, know will attract people from all over.

Kenneth
  • http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=gwbeCSFX6t0

I include this to back up the comment about recruiting former Lutherans. These are Mennonite kids who do this on their own.