my article and the unexpected hysteria
  • j13rice
    "Is our devotion to liturgy or to making people do what we want them to do?"

Congregational singing is something the Church asks for explicitly beginning with Sacrosanctum Concilium, and outlined in detail in Musicam Sacram. Further, it is not something that we should make or force people to do, but congregational singing clearly should be fostered, encouraged, promoted, etc (with care not to persecute those who choose not to sing). A devotion to liturgy would include a devotion to fostering a congregation that sings well. So yeah, any liturgical musician should be judged (in part) on how well he/she accomplishes this.

One can disagree that congregational singing should be a priority, but then one disagrees with the clear instruction of the Church. As a liturgical musician, in my mind ignoring this instruction is no different than ignoring, for instance, church instruction that Gregorian chant has principal place in the liturgy.
  • You know, if it weren't for those congregations that DO sing pretty well, we might be able to dispense with Luther's idea. Sorry, did I say that out loud? Anyway, apparently in some places efforts have worked to get congregations to sing well. Sometimes it's G&P music and other times it's Gregorian ordinaries, but apparently it does work when done right and the situation is favorable. For my part, here in South Florida, I hear the congregation sing when they do the chanted Lord's Prayer or an Amen response. Outside of that, it's pretty quiet. Granted, our congregations skew pretty old and maybe there are some self confidence issues about the failing voice, but the result is hearing bad amateur cantors and choirs (or "groups") only. j13rice is correct, though, that the Church promotes congregational singing. It is our duty to "foster" it as best we can.
  • G
    Chonak, I should not speak for him, but I believe Gavin was being facetious., and knows full well that he was describing the rite right. Or the right rite. Or something.

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
  • GavinGavin
    Actually I thought the Trisagion was towards the beginning? Or is it before the offertory? I always find the functionality of the Divine Liturgy appealing.. you basically have the Deacon telling people, "shut up and pay attention!" "Sing louder!" "Get out of here!" I certainly wouldn't want anything like that in the western liturgy, and I despise priests who prod the congregation to sing more... I myself did do some prodding in the past, but only in the form of a bulletin article and even that was more "this is your part in the liturgy" and not "you're not loud enough". I just thought it interesting that such prodding was an actual part of a historic liturgy, non-western though it may be.
  • JamJam
    "Wisdom! Let us be attentive!" Gotta love it.

The Trisagion is right before the reading of the Epistle... So it is pretty early on, but not as early as you'd think. First comes the Great Litany, the First Antiphon, the Little Litany, the Second Antiphon (including Justinian's hymn), the Little Litany (yes... again), the Third Antiphon (usually the beatitudes), the Little Entrance, and THEN the Trisagion.

(you know it's an Eastern liturgy when "let us complete our prayer unto the Lord" means a good forty-five minutes of liturgy is left)

Of course the prodding of the deacon is very ceremonial and ancient. The reason modern-day prodding would be out of place in the West is because, well, it doesn't belong. Okay, that is totally circular reasoning. I guess it's because it would be completely contrived and used according to the whims of a particular pastor or music director, rather than that of the church throughout the ages. That's the problem the Western church is trying to escape from right now--the liturgy being subject to random people's whims.
  • Chrism
    j13rice: Congregational singing is something the Church asks for explicitly beginning with Sacrosanctum Concilium

It started well before that, at least as far back as the great Tra le Sollecitudini.

Congregational singing should be encouraged, but it can't be an excuse to dumb down the liturgy one iota, and it can't interfere with more important things like interior participation.

The first thing the people are supposed to know how to sing is "Et cum spiritu tuo". Precisely how often is this "programmed" at parishes that claim to make congregational singing a priority?

• Chrism
    Over at [some blog]

I hope that we don't get dragged down into petty internet flame wars. We are above all that. The Vatican refers inquirers here, to this site.
  • IanWIanW
    Chrism,

If the soi-disant liberal who edits that blog didn't freely censor comments that don't suit his program, it would be possible to post the comment over there. And it's relevant, as the thread referred to is supposedly a discussion of Jeffrey's thesis, and the comment it puts the spotlight on is an (admittedly extreme) example of the liturgical, cultural and moral dangers of the tendency against which he argues.
  • Chrism
    IanW, I wasn't referring to you alone, but nothing is stopping anyone from getting his own blog.

My concern, frankly, is that there are too many miscreants in the world for our little band to keep track of, and it would be far better to simply focus on doing our work right than to worry about all the conspiracies being hatched against us -- and there are sure to be more with time. If someone comes up with an intelligent misguided response, we can address it calmly and charitably on a thread. As you can see, there is already a healthy diversity of opinion here, and we seem to be able to handle it without going for the throat.
  • IanWIanW
    chrism,

As a general rule I agree with you, but [you knew that was coming!] in this case we're discussing the response to Jeffrey's article, and much of that has been on the blog in question. That brings it into scope, as it does the editor's foibles as they impinge on the discussion.
  • Kathy
    Ian, if you flamed my blog like you flame Pray & Tell, I would delete your comments. Although I have a lot of sympathy for your point of view, your hostility level is very high, and no one wants to be insulted.

Mia's question strikes me (a hymn writer) as key: "Then, why are we forced to sing someone's private devotional songs, instead of the Church's liturgical prayers?"
  • GavinGavin
    Mia's question strikes me (a hymn writer) as key: "Then, why are we forced to sing someone's private devotional songs, instead of the Church's liturgical prayers?"

To Mia (and Kathy), I would say you miss the basic complaint the article is making. I've given congregations the Church's liturgical prayers to sing. They didn't. It doesn't matter if you give them "someone's private devotional songs" or the Church's liturgical prayers, the response is the same. Actually, I wager people will be less likely to sing when given the Church's liturgical prayers...
  • GavinGavin
    "Congregational singing should be encouraged, but it can't be an excuse to dumb down the liturgy one iota, and it can't interfere with more important things like interior participation."

I agree without qualification with Chrism's point here. I think the reason so many of us agree with Jeff is that we're imagining (fantasizing, really) a congregation standing mute to "On Eagle's Wings". But a congregation could have the liturgy of the colloquium and they'd be staring at their watches waiting for it to end. There is a problem; congregational singing is a MANIFESTATION of it, but not the actual problem itself.
  • G
    "I wager people will be less likely to sing when given the Church's liturgical prayers"

My experience, all over the country, in parishes where I was variously an MD, a choir member, a cantor, a sub, but most often a pew-sitter, was that the most universally well-sung item was the Our Father, and, if they were done, the dialogues.
    EVERYbody sings "amen" or "and also with you."
    EVERYwhere.
    (I would wager that the "verbum Domine" dialogue would receive the same level of participation, but they are much less seldom done.)

I think that is significant. I think people instinctively know what is important.
    I think where there are zillions of options it telegraphs the message that.. well, that something is optional.
    And people opt out.

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
  • Kathy
    I've arrived super late to this whole discussion. On the whole I agree with the spirit of the article. As it happens we have robust singing at my parish (with the exception of the Mortem Tuam, which people are perhaps wisely waiting for the next Council to do away with) and this is without a lot of the usual props. The cantor is hidden to most of the congregation, the choir is completely hidden, very rare use of worship pamphlets, etc. We don't sing like Baptists but we sing.

Here is what I disagree with in the article: "Without exception, every individual Catholic reserves the right to himself or herself to stand quietly in prayer, knowing full well that whether or not he or she sings makes no difference to the graces being offered at the Mass. We are free to participate externally or internally based on our own desires... Here is the controversial claim that I would like to make: there is nothing wrong with this."

The problem I see with this claim is its extreme individualism. Singing is one of the positive practices of our religion. Yes, ultimately it is optional for individuals. But many things are optional. Using a missalette is optional, but it can be a help to prayer. Dressing up for Mass is optional, but it is a salutary reminder of the importance of what we're doing. Now dressing up for Mass is liable to have a positive sense-level effect on others: they may well be edified by our estimation of the Mass's priority. On the other hand, practices that deepen prayer in the Mass, such as using a missalette, praying before Mass, studying before Mass about the saint or the mystery of the day, reading the Liturgy of the Hours in preparation for Mass, sacramental confession--these are edifying on a much deeper level. They are often "optional," strictly speaking, but they open the experience of Mass for grace, preparing us and those around us to be good, receptive soil.

The question is whether congregational singing is like dressing up, or like praying before Mass.

Dressing up is both edifying and potentially distracting. A spiffy hat or bowtie, just like an orchestral Mass, might, for some individuals, detract from recollection.

But the question I've always had is this: Is it possible to pray and sing at the same time? As a cantor for 3/4 of my life, this has been a question that I have sometimes felt I could answer "yes" to. It is possible to not only sing but to lead singing and be recollected at the same time. It is even possible to lead singing in a way that increases my own recollection.
  • Kathy
    Of course, these questions have all been considered before:

49. The delights of the ear, had more firmly entangled and subdued me; but Thou did loosen, and free me. Now, in those melodies which Thy words breathe soul into, when sung with a sweet and attuned voice, I do a little repose; yet not so as to be held thereby, but that I can disengage myself when I will. But with the words which are their life and whereby they find admission into me, themselves seek in my affections a place of some estimation, and I can scarcely assign them one suitable. For at one time I seem to myself to give them more honour than is seemly, feeling our minds to be more holily and fervently raised unto a flame of devotion, by the holy words themselves when thus sung, than when not; and that the several affections of our spirit, by a sweet variety, have their own proper measures in the voice and singing, by some hidden correspondence wherewith they are stirred up. But this contentment of the flesh, to which the soul must not be given over to be enervated, doth oft beguile me, the sense not so waiting upon reason, as patiently to follow her; but having been admitted merely for her sake, it strives even to run before her, and lead her. Thus in these things I unawares sin, but afterwards am aware of it.

50. At other times, shunning over-anxiously this very deception, I err in too great strictness; and sometimes to that degree, as to wish the whole melody of sweet music which is used to David’s Psalter, banished from my ears, and the Church’s too; and that mode seems to me safer, which I remember to have been often told me of Athanasius Bishop of Alexandria, who made the reader of the psalm utter it with so slight inflection of voice that it was nearer speaking than singing. Yet again, when I remember the tears i shed at the Psalmody of Thy Church, in the beginning of my recovered faith; and how at this time, I am moved, not with the singing, but with the things sung, when they are sung with a clear voice and modulation most suitable, I acknowledge the great use of this institution. Thus I fluctuate between peril of pleasure and approved wholesomeness; inclined the rather (though not as pronouncing an irrevocable opinion) to approve of the usage of singing in the church; that so by the delight of the ears, the weaker minds may rise to the feeling of devotion. Yet when it befalls me to be more moved with the voice than the words sung, I confess to have sinned penally, and then had rather not hear music. See now my state; weep with me, and weep for me, ye, who so regulate your feelings within, as that good action ensues. For you who do not act, these things touch not you. But, Thou, O Lord my God, hearken; behold, and see, and have mercy, and heal me, Thou, in whose presence I have become a problem to myself; and that is my infirmity.

Saint Augustine, Confessions of S. Augustine, J.M. Dent & Sons Ltd., 1907, trans. E.B. Pusey, pp. 234-236.
  • BachLover2BachLover2
    IanW: why are you so concerned about what happens at [that blog] ? there are literally thousands of anti-catholic blogs out there. why are you so concerned about that one? does the moderator censure comments? of course! what did you expect him to do? if the truth gets out, his crowd is in major trouble. actually, they already are in trouble. let them be. let them huddle together and spread lies. don't concern yourself. go out and do something positive for every negative lie they tell.
  • Jeffrey TuckerJeffrey Tucker
    Ratzinger on the choral Sanctus:

The congregation assembled in one place opens into the whole. It also repre­sents those who are absent and unites itself with those who are far and near. If the congregation has a choir that can draw it into cosmic praise and into the open expanse of heaven and earth more powerfully than its own stam­mering, then the representative function of the choir is at this moment par­ticularly appropriate. Through the choir a greater transparency to the praise of the angels and therefore a more profound, interior joining in with their singing are bestowed than a congregation’s own acclamation and song would be capable of doing in many places…. Does it not do us good, before we set off into the center of the mystery, to encounter a short time of filled silence in which the choir calms us interiorly, leading each one of us into silent prayer and thus into a union that can occur only on the inside? Must we not relearn this silent, inner co-praying with each other and with the angels and saints, the living and the dead, and with Christ himself? This way the words of the Canon do not become worn-out expressions that we then in vain attempt to substitute with ever newly assembled phrases, phrases which conceal the absence of the real inner event of the liturgy, the departure from human speech into being touched by the eternal.
  • miacoyne
    " It doesn't matter if you give them "someone's private devotional songs" or the Church's liturgical prayers, the response is the same. Actually, I wager people will be less likely to sing when given the Church's liturgical prayers..."

Gavin, it's the familiarity, as Jeff mentioned. I know it's one of the most difficult work, but I think music directors have to help people to be familiar with singing liturgical prayers and keep them as their own. It may take long time, and lots of sacrifice and patience. If you are young, you might be fortunate enough to see the change. (In our modern culture, everything demands quick results and we seemed to give up so quick.)
  • Kathy
    I agree, generally, regarding the Sanctus. The words are sublime; to join them with the inadequate settings that are easily grasped binds them to the earth.

My only dispute is whether congregations might benefit from learning how to sing sublimely, and whether outward, congregational singing might in fact be combined with interiority. If the whole Church could sing audibly AND interiorly with the angels, I think the interiority might be enhanced.

In other words, there are a couple of wrong ways:
    1) Indifference to the music
    2) Exterior (only) participation

One right way (the Benedict/ Tucker proposal, if I understand correctly):
    3) Interior resonance with the text and music

And a potentially even better way:
    4) Interior resonance with the text and music matched, but not overpowered by, beautiful congregational singing
  • don roy
    i might be missing something but i as a rule find ians comments spot on and perfectly reasonable. ive seen plenty of vitrol but never from him.
  • rogue63
    I wanted to thank Jeffrey Tucker publicly for his article on NLM. It was well-written, and articulated many ideas and struggles I've had about getting my students to sing at the school Mass. I feel relieved now. They can sing, or not, or mumble, or kneel and pray, but the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass still happens, and my choir will adorn it with sacred music, God willing. Thank you very much, Mr. Tucker.
  • miacoyne
    What I understand from the Pope's writing on Choral Sacntus is that we don't have to put away beautiful Choral Sanctus, especially the polyphony, even in OF, that can carry us to the realm of heaven. He is not discouraging the congregational singing at all, provided that the congregations can participate internally and externally. Aren't there plenty of room in our liturgy for both choral Sanctus and congregational Sanctus? He is very much in emphasizing on internal participation in his writings, not to disregard the external ones, but because external participations have been over emphasized in local churches last 40 years.
  • Kathy
    More from Augustine's Confessions:

How greatly did I weep in Your hymns and canticles, deeply moved by the voices of Your sweet-speaking Church! The voices flowed into mine ears, and the truth was poured forth into my heart, whence the agitation of my piety overflowed, and my tears ran over, and blessed was I therein. (IX 6)

The church of Milan had only recently begun to employ this mode of consolation and exaltation with all the brethren singing together with great earnestness of voice and heart. For it was only about a year -- not much more -- since Justina, the mother of the boy-emperor Valentinian, had persecuted thy servant Ambrose on behalf of her heresy, in which she had been seduced by the Arians. The devoted people kept guard in the church, prepared to die with their bishop, thy servant. Among them my mother, thy handmaid, taking a leading part in those anxieties and vigils, lived there in prayer. And even though we were still not wholly melted by the heat of thy Spirit, we were nevertheless excited by the alarmed and disturbed city.

This was the time that the custom began, after the manner of the Eastern Church, that hymns and psalms should be sung, so that the people would not be worn out with the tedium of lamentation. This custom, retained from then till now, has been imitated by many, indeed, by almost all thy congregations throughout the rest of the world... And so I did the more abundantly weep at the singing of Your hymns, formerly panting for You, and at last breathing in You, as far as the air can play in this house of grass. (IX 7)
  • miacoyne
    Kathy, I'd love to learn those hymns. Can you show me some or direct me?

Thanks.
  • francis
    my three cents... (a long one)

The notion that the congregation has the right, or is expected to participate in ALL singing has been thrust into the liturgical limelight for the last number of decades. Point being, far too much emphasis is on the outward display of the PIPs "outward expression of faith" and the odd expectation of its demonstration in public. I don't know about you, but when someone 'demands something personal of me', they ain't gonna get it simply because it is a demand... whether it is good or right or just. That is the BIG mistake made by the VII spinners, DEMANDING participation. Kind of reminds me of the Old Testament laws. Here was God's take on it:

"I desire not sacrifice, but a humble and contrite heart"

IMHO, that goes for the "sacrifice of praise" too. Plenty of great singing congregations that look great and sound incredible might at the same time be steeped in sin. Music may disguise the problem, but God sees right through it. I think the problems are much more insideous and covert than most people realize or are willing to admit.

Here is one simple obvious question that demonstrates the point: How many here (or in the pew) are going to belt out "I AM the bread of life"? No thanks. I try to find silent masses to attend. Is that a sad statement? Yes, but true! You can divide the issue of congregational singing in half on this one point alone.

To continue, the problem is much deeper and more complex. The Church is divided, scandalized, confused, weak and under great stress. It lost it's sense of liturgical identity in the last century or so, and then the core of its very identity was under a pontifical indult in the last half of the last century.

Now, I may be totally off base, but isn't this akin to saying, 'all of the liturgical traditions that are the heart of our very Church are from this day forth, suspended until further notice''? Meanwhile, just improvise! We would like to see what happens...

All these issues have had a disastrous psychological effect. Then put on top of that the plague of modernism that constantly assaults families and individuals sitting in the pews, and you have a perfect recipe for demoralization of the Church AND the singing heart.

Jeffrey is simply defending the rightful roles of cantor, choir, organist, etc. However, he kind of went about it in a more roundabout way. Some of Jeffrey's comments may wander a bit into being defensive, but he even said he pushed this one out casually (without review, I suspect).

We all have to admit, that the balance in musical roles is no where near the center. The USCCB have even realized this (finally) and have attempted to redefine the roles of musicians in the liturgy (see SttL). It appears they are trying to return to some reasonable middle ground.

That said, I don't think it is realistic to expect the congregation to sing Propers, for instance... ever... it is the ROLE of the choir and cantors. Let's not use the excuse that 'the people will sing this' in order justify it's inclusion in the liturgy. It is what it is and should be treated and respected as such.

I also think that congregational singing has a lot to do with cultures. OK, the Polish sing. Well, I don't know for a fact, but I would wager they probably always did! So I resent being compared to Poland... (even though my ancestors are from there)... I am an American. It may be a mix of cultures, but for better or for worse, it is a unique culture unto itself.

So before we get to taking sides about less or more singing, or "active participation" (O God, please remove once for all this empty-headed phrase from our liturgical vocabulary!) let's cut each other some slack.
  • Kathy
    Mia,

Google search for Ambrosian Hymns, or Ambrose Hymns. Here is a place to begin for modern versifications of Ambrosian hymns: http://www.cyberhymnal.org/bio/a/m/ambrose_m.htm Also, try searching Google "books" for Ambrose Hymns. Some of the versifications will be already familiar.

Ambrosian hymns are the source of iambic Long Meter.

Regarding the tunes I have very little knowledge; I wonder if anyone knows quite what they sounded like. I don't know much about the current Ambrosian Rite's music or its relationship to the music of St. Augustine's time. For modern Ambrosian hymns, I'd begin here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlq-q5ud4ZI and http://www.cantoambrosiano.com/Inni_Ambrosiani.htm
  • miacoyne
    Thank you Kathy. Those are beautiful hymns. But I think since St. Benedict, Roman churches seemed to have placed hymns for the Liturgy of Hours and collected them in the Breviary. Wouldn't it be nice if local churches revive the Liturgy of Hours and sing hymns there, instead of replacing Propers in the Mass? I think those hymns will be much better respected and sung better when they are in more proper places.

4 sandwich hymn Mass has done so much damage to our liturgical life and music.

(Sorry this seems to be getting a bit of off-topic. I think there was a thread on Propers that disussed this issue.)
  • PaixGioiaAmorPaixGioiaAmor
    I have waited a while and read all the responses before writing my own.

I am in full support of the CMAA and all of the ideals which it represents and supports. But I am perhaps more moderate than most of you, and there is a reason for this. I have come to the conclusion that all liturgy is pastoral - and that with that reality, we are simply not where we need to be at this time to celebrate liturgy according to the absolute ideal.

At the point that I realized that even masses in Rome at the basilica are using short non-chant refrains, strangely similar to what many American composers are writing, even now in this Pope Benedict era, I realized that we are NEVER going to win an "all chant, all the time" argument in the parishes of the United States.

My former diocese got a new bishop - he was embraced by all the conservatives, hated by the liberals - his reputation proceeded him. He has been known to be hawkish about scrupulous adherrance to liturgical dictates. He soon appointed a new diocessan worship director, who holds a doctorate in liturgy and whom he knew and respected. In a conversation with her, even SHE told me that she didn't see responsorial propers as the ideal in our liturgies of the diocese and that she favored a strong entrance hymn which enabled congregational singing. THIS IS A PERSON WHO SUPPOSEDLY HOLDS THE SAME VIEWS AS THE CONSERVATIVE BISHOP, and she is saying she doesn't think it's best to chant or even sing responsorial propers for the entrance procession.

We are just not at the point in liturgy today where we can go back to that "ideal" of chanting the introit with no congregational participation. Introduce introits from By Flowing Waters, use Chris Tietze's Introit Hymns, but don't think you will sell anyone on the argument that Roman Liturgy in this post-concillior age should dispense with congregational singing.
  • CharlesW
    I find myself in agreement with Francis more often these days. Is that scary or what? ;-) He makes some very good points.
  • miacoyne
    PaixG. I really don't think anyone here is saying "all chant, all the time" argument or "dispense with congregational signing."

Unnatural emphasis on congrational singing in Mass has caused lots of trouble. I think congregational singing is meaningful when the Liturgy is done properly. And each parish is different, and some might take more time than others.

After two years since my schola started to chant, our parish started to sing Agnus Dei (seasonally and in Daily Mass only yet), and a couple of places our pastor started to chant. I started to hear more' thank you' from the congregations. In other parishes our schola sing, we started Communion Proper in English, but still sing a communion hymn afterwards. For the first time we sang Introit in English last Sunday, it was beautiful. (Many of my schola members never sang in a choir before, and it's not easy. But we sing in many parishes as much as we can, because trained parish choirs are not doing it in this area. But there have been some changes in parishes which make us keep going. One of the parish, which has been mostly contemporary music with piano and all, started to quote Church's document about the importance of singing chants in the liturgy in the church BULLETIN. This is a big news for us.)

As we know there many people here who do a lot harder work. I'm just giving a small example of my experience.
    well, I took a few hits but finally responded.
  • It is wonderful to attend a weekend Mass without music! I cherish these experiences where my participation in the Mass can remain focused. How true and holy are the words of the Jesus Christ received when they are finally heard without the effects of jingles and pop music.
    long ago: During our travel after a long week at an NPM convention, I and a few enthused musician from our parish attended Mass in Montana. It was a Sunday evening, very simple music and and a minimum of singing that was dramatically low energy compared to the NPM liturgies: yet a student in our group said she was glad to attend a "normal" Mass where she could actually pray.
    A college friend of mine who had avoided Mass for some time had returned to Mass with me during the 1970's. Afterwards she told me,
    " they really keep you busy now. You can't even slip in a Hail Mary."

Jeffrey: You have a good understanding of ritual and congregation participation. Catholic congregational singing was at its best during May crownings, Stations of the cross, benediction, and novenas. These were profoundly different services than the Mass, they were less of a ritual but still important public prayer where the Catholic congregations eagerly embraced its participation and needed hymns to worship during these services. In these types of services there were cultural expressions, they were seasonal, simplified extensions of the Office and they were ecumenical in the sense that there was nor requisite sacramental initiation for the participants. There is certainly a need for this type of worship- but the Mass is different.
  • CharlesW
    I think you may have hit on something. Your quote, " Gregorian Chant restored in such a satisfactory way to its early purity, as it was handed down by the fathers and is found in the codices of the various churches, is sweet, soft, easy to learn and of a beauty so fresh and full of surprises that wherever it has been introduced it has never failed to excite real enthusiasm in the youthful singers." Pius X, Tra le Sollecitudini, 1906" says a lot.

I have held for many years that chant had become so complicated and difficult, it became the property of trained choirs. It had gotten so melismatic and complex, much of it was beyond the ability of a congregation to sing. That's why I believe chant, "restored...to it's early purity," is congregation friendly. I also think the desire for something singable actually helped in the demise of chant. Granted, I am not with you in moving everything back to Latin, so I will state that clearly. Most congregations don't speak Latin anymore and have no desire to. Other than the Ordinary in Latin as a tool for promoting universality, I believe other parts need to be in the vernacular.
  • IanWIanW
    Kathy,

I'm sorry you think my comments angry, and I'm perfectly happy with your right to exercise that judgement on any I might leave on your blog (which I look forward to reading). The organisation and ambition of 'Pray, Tell', however, make it so much more than Fr. Ruff's personal blog. It is a joint venture of Liturgical Press and St. John's School of Theology. The Editor is open about his liberal theological and liturgical assumptions, but he also proclaims his intellectual ambitions for the site, a determination to establish dialogue with those who think differently, to be "open-minded" and "self-questioning", and to have done with "yesterday's progressivism".

This is admirable stuff. When I read it back in December of last year I was hopeful of some good, thought-provoking reading, and the prospect of reasoned engagement between different perspectives on liturgy. Unfortunately, that's not how it's turned out. A surprising number of the posts are lightweight and lacking in rigour. More disappointingly, there have been too many cheap shots at the conservatives with whom the Editor claims he wishes to engage. This makes his stated aims more difficult to achieve, not just because it puts people off, but also because it encourages facility in those who fire the shots.

The Editor's post on Jeffrey Tucker's piece that is the subject of this thread is a case in point. Tucker's post at NLM is a thought-provoking take on a problem that's bedevilled liturgists and musicians since the post-Conciliar reforms (and, in other forms, well before that). It is usefully iconoclastic, because it questions a commonly held assumption amongst liturgical progressives and many of us who consider ourselves more conservative. It benefits from his background as a convert from a particular Protestant tradition, which allows him to recognise and critically assess that assumption while others leave it unexamined; and it's all the more interesting for being a work in progress, evidence of ongoing reflection on practice and ideas. In the light of this, Ruff's post and further comments were disappointing. Anyone who had read his manifesto could reasonably have expected a considered analysis and conclusion, particularly from a scholar with some experience in the field. Instead, the post was little better than a condescending snigger that included the claim that Ruff's own research negated Tucker's thesis. In fact, Ruff simply failed to address Tucker's point that the use of hymns to substitute for (rather than supplement) Propers is a recent innovation, and his response to Tucker's comment to this effect addressed a different point (the liturgical status of hymns in particular institutions in the Middle Ages).

The general standard of discussion is not helped by the site's 900-character comment limit, which reduces the opportunity for useful analysis. That said, poor analysis and argument are failings, not crimes, albeit they are disappointing. The recurrent gratuitous insults thrown in the conservative direction are, though, reprehensible. In the Editor's case, this is usually a matter of unpleasant condescension – conservatives are immature, have little better to do than comment on blogs, and are fixated on the peripheral externals of liturgy – but he permits worse from others: Paul Inwood, for example, who doubts the good faith of those who disagree with his own view of liturgical development, or Richard Giles, who questions the spiritual integrity of liturgically traditional Anglicans.

If Fr. Ruff were to apply his own comments policy to such posts, they would not appear, at least in the form they do. The site invites “comments that contribute to civil, thoughtful discussion … Pray Tell does not permit personal attacks, libelous statements, or the use of vulgar, hateful, or harassing language.”. Not only are these quite reasonable controls not applied to himself, or to the distasteful outpourings of Inwood, Giles and others, but he has reacted with anger to comments that point out this inconsistency, and it has been known for them to be modified or removed. So, too, does he routinely censor comments that question the value of the 900-character comment limit and its inconsistent application (if you're with the Program, continuation comments are no problem; if you're not, they are). References to particular acts of censorship – the indication, for example, that a comment is no longer as its author posted it – are removed immediately.

My feelings about all this are mixed. I guess there is some anger; that's an emotion I feel whenever I encounter unreflective clericalism and hostility to free speech. But above all there's disappointment and sadness that a project which promised so much has so signally failed to live up to its own laudable ambitions.

As for Mr. Inwood: I make no apologies for criticising his words and behaviour, or for satirising his music and self-promotion, particularly under a post about music, musicians and the ethos of our liturgy.

Best wishes,

Ian.
  • IanWIanW
    CharlesW,

There is a danger that MDs and their choirs incrase the complexity of music beyond what's comfortable for people to sing (it's my impression that composers of worship music often fall for this, too, with respect to rhythm and compass). One of the wonderful thing about Western chant, though, is that there need not alwways be a choice between complexity and accessibility: the degree of complexity tends to vary according to liturgical function and occasion. A simple response and an ad libitum Alleluia are chalk and cheese.
  • CharlesW
    IanW, I agree that musicians can complicate getting a drink of water - at times. ;-) It's likely we all want to do the most beautiful and best-performed music we are capable of. But it's important to not leave the congregation behind.
  • Kevin
    Thanks, Ian. Having followed Pray Tell for some time I would have to agree with your assessment of the website in general as well as the particulars concerning Fr. Ruff and Paul Inwood. I notice that some of the names that have frequented the site as responders to posts are absenting themselves. I imagine this might be because of the rebukes they receive from the blog administrator or boredom with the same liberal theological/liturgical mindset with little tolerance of more traditional viewpoints. Kevin
  • BachLover2BachLover2
    Kevin: well said.
  • Ian,

I think that your review is very on-target. I've been equally frustrated with "Pray Tell", and many times have left that site promising myself that I won't return. Despite the long ranging list of apparent "contributors", as you say, just a few people on the list are routinely involved. I think that Fr. Baldovin's lone post stands as a very telling testimony: It was one of the first (if not the very first or second post, if I recall correctly) that rather harshly stated his opinion of the New Liturgical Movement. He didn't engage in any comments and he hasn't said anything since. As much as Fr. Ruff might want dialogue, he clearly isn't getting it. Fr. Baldovin and many others on the panel are apparently not interested in dialogue, it seems, evidenced by their absence from the posts and comment box. The activity on the New Liturgical Movement, in contrast, is quite different!
  • francis
    I dismissed pray tell going out the gate. That doesn't mean I will never participate, but the gravity of comments should remain where we are supported and understood. On "our" sites. Why lend credibility to chaos? When you befriend yourself inside the walls of another's castle you may eventually find yourself chained up in their dungeon. From what I read here, it seems like that has proven to be the case.
  • Well, I'm not much for getting into "us and them" scenarios--open discussion and dialogue are needed, not the building of castles. I'm glad, in a sense, that people like Ruff and Inwood are putting some of their thinking out there, though, alongside the NLM writers, other credible bloggers, and some of the commenters on this forum. As in all things, in time the tree will show forth its fruit.
    I agree Adam. For one thing, I will always be grateful to Fr. Ruff for his friendship and his brilliant scholarship, despite our differences (which is a presumptuous way to put it, given that I'm a punk and he is a giant). Also, my brain needs the back and forth stimulation of challenges and responses in order to function. I'm very happy about the airing of differences. We can all improve our understanding this way. So I'm really happy about Pray and Tell. Life would be super dull with this kind of engagement.
  • francis
    Jeffrey

Don't belittle yourself. I don't agree. You are just as much a heavy weight in your own regard.

Adam

The church doesn't need a castle... It owns the land. However, I have watched PT. They have built the walls themselves.
  • BachLover2BachLover2
    the argument can also be made whether it's best to spend time engaging the anthony ruffs of the world, at a time when there's so much work to be done. i think it is probably better to simply go out and do good. if (and when) the anthony ruffs of the world are ready to accept the church documents on music, they can find them on this site, the adoremus site, the vatican site, etc.
  • francis
    Bachlover

Exactly. I was sucked into too much ecumenism (20 years) in my life to know that dialogue (with all it's hopeful intentions) do nothing for strengthening the cause and mission of the pure truth. It usually degenerates into feeling a small, compromising amount of commraderie that leads to not a whole lot more than confusion for all concerned. It used to be the tool of anathema that brought error to truth, and there was good reason the church did so.
  • CharlesW
    Francis, I think the definition of dialogue is, "I promise. This won't hurt a bit." My experience with ecumenical dialogue has been the Catholics in the room attempting to minimize the Faith and exclaim, "See! We are just like you."
  • Kathy
    I share Ian's disappointment. Having studied a little with Fr. Ruff and having admired him for years, I have been surprised by tone of the blog. His reputation with me is one of unusual humble peaceableness, in true Benedictine style. The blog has so far not seemed similar to this ideal. It seems highly partisan. It is not positively promoting something but negatively characterizing something--and not only something, but those who adhere to/ believe in the something.

I suspect the tone has a lot to do with disappointment at the political realities of the translation process.

Prudentially, on the other hand, I don't think anyone gets anywhere criticizing a censor. It's a waiting game, the guy with the delete button wins, and deletion is widely accepted as a legitimate blog-host prerogative.

My wish would be to see the blog evolve into a forum for detailed discussions of aspects of the liturgy. There are panelists who have been liturgists for decades, and there are interesting movements that have nothing to do with conflict. Fr. Ruff himself has written of an interesting unifying issue among liberals and conservatives: the return of the introit.

The liturgy is meant to unite us. I bet this could happen in discussion of liturgy, too.
  • JamJam
    My experience with ecumenical dialogue has been the Catholics in the room attempting to minimize the Faith and exclaim, "See! We are just like you."

I've actually had some pretty awesome ecumenical dialogue with Catholics. One conversation I remember in particular involved the Immaculate Conception (which the Orthodox do not accept) and what exactly original sin is. The Catholics were whipping out Thomas Aquinas and doing a very good job of explaining their beliefs, and an awesome Greek Orthodox priest, whose guests we were, was doing a good job of defending ours. We never came to a consensus, of course, but the dialogue brilliantly exposed where our differences actually lay--a fundamental worldview difference that involves much more than one Marian dogma.

Ecumenical dialogue can be done well, if the idea is to learn from each other, dispel myths and lies we believe about each other, and seek the Truth together. It goes wrong when people want to be all just one big happy family tomorrow, and therefore settle for some kind of least-common-denominator Christianity. Dialogue is only real and useful when both parties keep an open mind, but firmly refuse compromise.
  • CharlesW
    The problem Orthodoxy has with the Immaculate Conception, is that it does not accept Augustine's definition of original sin. Orthodoxy does not believe any guilt was transmitted, only the penalty - death. If you accept Augustine, the Immaculate Conception is the logical conclusion. Many of us Eastern Catholics agree with Orthodoxy that Mary was sinless, it's all a mystery we can't possibly understand, and let it go at that.