Congregational Singing Range
  • francis
    At times people approach me (usually with the complaint) of being forced to sing out of range. For the most part, too high. There are those pieces, whether a hymn a song or a national anthem that bring amazement to my musical common sense in terms of what is reasonable to expect. For one, our own (American) national anthem boasts an octave plus a fifth. Wow. How many can do that! I find that a lot of the praise music today is also composed out of the comfort zone for many while tradtional hyms for the most part stay safely between Bb below middle C and D an octave and an M2 above middle C. Do any of you get complaints? What are you observations? How do you answer the complainers?
    Thanked by 1PurpleSquirrel
  • Part of this seems to be a result of some natural evolution or change in the vocal range of (at least American or Western) humans in the last century or so. A look at hymnals of 100 or 150 or more years ago will reveal that a high of even e or f was not at all uncommon. One may also note that stanzas were also often marked to be sung p, mp, f, mf, or ff, meaning that common people knew the meanings of these signs and sang appropriately. The conclusion may be that (should we be surprised?) there has been a consistent (and to some extent, deliberate) dumbing down and cultural attrition of what is expected of people - as well as what they believe that they can accomplish (as opposed to what they Can accomplish). Whereas two or three generations ago a typical congregation could sing e's and f's, they now do well to sing b's, c's, and d's.

There is also a purely psychological and emotional factor. People can sing with relative ease (and, actually enjoy!) the high d's or e's of some beloved hymns (such as O come, all ye faithful; O come, O come, Emmanuel; etc.; or the national anthem) whereas they immediately complain that they cannot sing those very notes when they are encountered in a new or less familiar hymn. This is thus proved to be nothing more than resistance to the effort of learning to do what they can very well learn to do.
  • A...has been raised...

3. Historical pitches

Over the last five centuries—so far as early values can be estimated from old tuning-forks, organs, and other wind instruments—tuning pitch has varied, in the main, over a range of about 300 cents (three semitones), a′ varying from as low as the present g′ up to b♭′ or even above; this is not a great deal considering the length of time. Seldom has any pitch ruled completely for all places and in all circumstances; yet musicians, in travelling from country to country, have tended to bring a measure of uniformity lasting in some cases over fairly long intervals between periods of instability and change. A rough indication of pitch standards going back to the 1690s is given in Table 1.

Read more: http://arts.jrank.org/pages/5202/pitch.html#ixzz0Vjaovia6
  • JamJam
    "Whereas two or three generations ago a typical congregation could sing e's and f's, they now do well to sing b's, c's, and d's."

Is it not also possible that, in the past, people sang in four part harmonies? I'm an alto and while I can now hit e's and f's, before I took voice lessons it was really a strain. However, I knew how to sing the alto part instead of the soprano most of the time, so it wasn't a problem. All accapella protestant churches I've been to, the congregation sings in four-part harmonies, so no one worries about parts being pitched too high or low because the sopranos can sing higher than everyone else and the basses lower.
  • Maureen
    Re: Star Spangled Banner

There's some guy out there on a crusade to have people sing TSSB in the key of B. (I think.) Anyway, there's some key that's actually not bad for anyone, albeit you lose the stratospheric sound of the high notes.
  • francis
    I typically do A or even G because it does not begin on the tonic or remain near the tonic but for a note here and there. It's better to have low notes disapear than try to reach for high notes that go sour.
  • Carl DCarl D
    I wonder if peoples' range has dropped as our bodies have gotten larger (height and width) over the decades.
  • marajoymarajoy
    I think Jam's point is very significant and should be seriously noted... WHY do we ask altos and basses to sing soprano lines and be surprised when they complain? If we mention much-loved songs like our national anthem or O Come All Ye Faithful, I'm not sure about you, but even though people belt those out, I *do* usually hear some guy singing down an octave, and I suspect that some of the women are singing with the men...
  • francis
    I think it is interesting that chant modes started on four lines and three spaces. Do you think the melodies were in general more restricted?
  • JamJam
    yes, marajoy! I know that I have sung high-pitched songs down an octave before. (or drop an octave in the chorus, or verse, wherever the troublesome part is)

that's the hard thing when the congregation is singing in unison, trying to all sing the soprano melody when obviously not everyone can.
  • francis
    I am fortunate that my range is 2 F's below middle C up to 2 F's above middle C so I can help out my sops by singing their parts for them, but I get strange looks from my choir when I do.
  • I still maintain that, by far for most people, this is a matter of pure laziness together with a lamentable lack of training in how properly to sing, produce, and support a pitch. The fault is as often in the lungs as in the voice. This was not problematic for our ancestors whose only music was the music they themselves performed. And, as Carl D affirms, changing physiology may be partly (but only partly) responsible. (Nor did They mostly sing in harmony. General, and astonishingly beautiful, part singing is peculiar to certain sects, such as the Church of Christ, who eschew the use of any instruments other than the human voice.)
  • M. Jackson Osborn - You are basically spot on! It is for the most part simple laziness coupled with a lack of knowledge in how to sing correctly and insufficient skills development to do so. There are other factors that have contributed such as the "Entertainment" mentality, microphones, poor acoustical settings, etc. In general, most children and adults in America during at least the past 75 years have not been taught to sing correctly and have not been taught good solid public speaking-presentation skills. All that coupled with societies ever increasing scrutinies towards individuals has help to result in a quasi-self-paranoia about our speak out and singing in public. Yes, pitch has played a part in all this as well as singing in harmony. Think for a moment about the Welsh! In all the world they are famed for singing. They sing unisons, duets, parts, etc., you named it - they just sing out! For the most part, a majority of them sing correctly and well and they sing whatever part they can. They don't usually gripe about it - they just do it! They sing with pride because they care and it is important to them. Ever listened to and studied Welsh Hymnody? Remarkable hymns full of strength, character and vigor yet musically wonderful and well crafted. By the way, many of you may not agree with Dr.Thomas Day's book - "Why Catholics Can't Sing," but it sure has in my opinion, some serious food for thought on this subject and well worth a read.

I once helped out on the organ at a cathedral once for a year. I will never forget one particular Sunday Mass. A elderly retired bishop of the "old school" was asked to celebrate that Mass. The cathedral was full - 1000 + people. After the first fifteen minutes, the bishop stopped the Mass and climbed up into the pulpit. He was FURIOUS at their lack of volume and enthusiasm regarding responses AND singing. For the next ten minutes he gave one of the most heated and scholarly lectures on WHY we as Catholic should be more red blooded in our spoken and sung parts. He stepped down from that pulpit and you could have heard a pin down. WOW for the next 45 minutes, that Mass was - well, beyond words and inspiring to the point that people still talk about it and that was over 30 years ago for me.
  • mjballoumjballou
    Some people are lazy, myself included most of the time. However, many more people are simply unused to singing.

People used to sing in the home, while they worked, in their carriages and automobiles, in the classroom, at Sunday school, at family and community gatherings. Most fraternal and charitable organization meetings opened and closed with a song. In the United States, the collapse of school music which delivered a "common repertoire" means that we lack shared songs.

Individuals also hold themselves to a much higher standard because of the broadcast and recording industry. Sure, they sang high notes. (And maybe I should tell you what my songbird of a Southern Baptist grandmother (may she rest with the saints) sounded like on those high notes.) Fear has silenced those unpracticed voices.

If we want people to sing in church, they need to sing other places as well.

And while I'm at it - when was the last time you heard anyone whistling a tune? When I was growing up, men of all classes whistled quite well - opera, Big Band, folk songs, the Old Rugged Cross, you name it. Now it's a rareity.
    Thanked by 1Claire H
  • Very apt observations, mjballou. Indeed, part of our mission (vocation) is restoring musicality to our culture. Singing is human nature, and people who can't or won't sing have been culturally deprived and spiritually impoverished. ( As for your songbird grandmother - I often tell people that we are supposed to make a joyful noise unto the Lord, and the only ones who Have to do it in tune are the choir.)
    Thanked by 1ClergetKubisz
  • Francis,

Melodies were definitely limited in range as well as intervals, you are absolutely correct.
  • francis
    Hmmm... It's an American dilema. We are on the verge of a songless church. Hopefully the CMAA can have some reversing effect.
  • GavinGavin
    The re-musicification of our culture needs to start at home, and it needs to start young.
    Thanked by 1ClergetKubisz
  • Skatsing
    I am a soprano. I have led the singing in six churches over a period of more than thirty years. Inevitably I get complaints that I sing too high. I sing where the music is written.
    In my present church I was given D as the upper limit and never sing above it yet the complaints persist. You are correct in saying that if the parish likes a hymn they suddenly have no trouble with the top note (D). It is disheartening to have to push my voice down and sing on my break constantly. This idea that it's no big deal to croak on the low notes as long as you don't screech on the high ones is misguided. Both are poor choices. When I first started leading I did it acappella and had no problem getting folks to sing. Now I read on your other threads that only organists should lead singing and we who can sing spoil it all. Doesn't this attitude strike any one else as foolish and unfair? With that sort of undercurrent, no wonder people aren't anxious to sing. And what is wrong with people who sing by singing quietly? My parish sings but not loudly. If they are comfortable with that what is the big deal about insisting they show off and sing with a loud voice? Singing is very physical and many are old and frail. What can you expect?
    Thanked by 2Wendi ClergetKubisz
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    There are three reasons why you should sing in church:

1. God gave you a beautiful voice that should be used for his glory.

2. God gave you a mediocre voice that can only improve by singing his praises.

3. God gave you a terrible voice, and this is your chance to get even.
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Is it not also possible that, in the past, people sang in four part harmonies?

I have always been told that this has a lot to do with it. Pitch too low, and the basses & altos will not be heard.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • francis
    jmo

i have no knowledge or experience of a congregation that sang in parts, but would be curious to know if anyone else has.
  • Mennonites, at least the traditional congregations around Fresno, do so with stunning artistry in every choral aspect, accompanied or not.
    RCC's, Francis? Not in 42 years.
  • CharlesW
    I think that 4-part singing mostly came from Protestant churches. Catholic musicians and clergy, afflicted with monkey-see, monkey-do syndrome, often do as the Venerable Bede said of the English, "follow everything that is novel and hold fast to nothing." If you can do 4-part with your congregation and it sounds good, then great. If not, don't worry about it. Work with what you have.

I would agree that modern congregations can not sing notes that previous generations sang with ease. Have you noticed that many of the old hymns have been transposed down into lower keys? I suspect that in earlier times, people generally sang more and learned to sing those higher notes.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Perhaps this will rumple some feathers; but, maybe it should.

If you want Catholics to sing 4-part harmony, you have to provide them with 4-part music to sing from. It is a moral and intellectual cop-out that has been perpetuated upon would be and potential singers in the pews that, for decades upon decades, hymnals and other music aids have been provided that are melody-only. Four-part choir and/or accompaniment editions don't count, unless thesed are what actually appear in the pew-racks.

Individual parishioners should never have be told, "You know, there is a 4-part choir edition available that you might considering purchasing for yourself if you want to sing in harmony." And this should not be perceived as an economic issue on the part of the church (or, as they might plead, the editors and publishers of hymnals), because it is really a pastoral issue – pastoral in the sense of tending to the entirety of ones flock. The squeaky old saw (largely from the hymnal publishers, but also from the penny-pinching powers that be who decide what hymnals are purchased for the church) that, if you compare costs of the melody-only against the 4-part (choir) editions of their hymnals, you can see that 4-part editions are much more expensive and hence a poor investment for a church. This is hogwash!

Of course the cost of a 4-part hymnal is much higher – but not because it is that much more expensive to produce. No, it is largely a matter of marketing and sales: they sell perhaps one 4-part hymnal to every 100 melody-only hymnals, and the lower price of the melody-only hymnal largely represents the mass-marketing and production savings of large production runs – not the additional size and cost of production of a limited production run. For a hymnal available in both a melody-only and a 4-part (choir) edition, the pricing might be something like $17 and $30 respectively. But if that publisher only produced a 4-part hymnal, then the cost of such a hymnal, while both more because of increased size and less than might be expected because of mass marketing and single product line savings, could well be something like $20 or $21, possibly less (if one didn't have to compete with other publishers that market both kinds of hymnals).

I often wonder if the prevailing view is, "We don't care whether Catholics sing or not, just as long as we have a few cantors or, with luck, a choir." What a myopic vision for a church that is supposed to be one that actually sings the Mass.
    Thanked by 2Gavin canadash
  • GavinGavin
    CHGiffen, I can't agree more with your above comments. I have often worried I am the lone voice in the wilderness begging Catholics to sing parts. It's no wonder they won't do it, if they don't even have the notes in front of them!
  • I think a major reason for poor congregational singing is the last 40 something years of guitar led contemporary music that leaves little to no true training in how to sing. The "feel good" music of the past generation has melodies and rhythms that are "poppy", and, therefore, have a "sing to the radio" mentality about them. If our congregations are to start singing more, we need to overcome this contemporary mentality. I would suggest transposing hymnody to easier keys for the general population. Once the people are comfortable singing hymnody with organ accompaniments, then we can bring the keys up to their original pitches. One of the complaints I've gotten with concern to hymnody is the keys in which they are written. Bringing them down a half or whole step has helped.
  • francis
    yea... my transposition skills are very sharp these days.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • marajoymarajoy
    (oh, I have been luhhhhhhhhhhhvin' my new organ with the automatic transpose knob! ;-) )
  • My organ does, too!!!! Although, I have had to hand transpose at times, but it's not easy for me.
  • francis
    Db is challenging
  • Another 1/2 step down is C........I say take it down another 1/2!
  • The "feel good" music of the past generation has melodies and rhythms that are "poppy".

I suppose suppositions like this is why the CMAA gods allow me to continue hanging around to keep things real.
    There is nothing "poppy" intrinsic in Janet Sullivan Whitaker's "In Every Age."
    Or Bob Hurd's "Ubi caritas," or Mike Joncas' "Sacramentum caritatis", or Barbara Bridge's "We walk by faith," or John Schiavone's "Amen, el Cuerpo de Cristo," or Bernadette Farrell's "All that is hidden," or Rick Manalo's "Pange lingua"...etc., etc.
    If one's deepest wish is dispose of the whole of two generations' worth of inspiration and effort simply out of convenience or prejudice, then be prepared to inherit the wind by dumping Nestor, Savoy, Verdi, Hughes et al as well. If not, then KNOW each and every piece you ascribe to be "poppy."
    Thanked by 2Gavin Skatsing
  • francis
    musicteacher

i prefer the challenge
  • TCJ
    One time I had a cantor complain to me that a certain hymn was too high. I proceeded to ask her if she could sing a different hymn and she said she could. After that I told her that the second hymn went just as high as the first. I knew she personally didn't like the first hymn, so I was pointing out to her that it wasn't a lack of ability, but a lack of desire in her case.

I've not really had complaints from the congregation about singing range. For the most part, they don't even try singing except for about five church favorites.
    Thanked by 2Gavin Claire H
  • francis
    oooo curt, that is crafty! love it!
  • It is unfair to assume that my comment is my "deepest wish to dispose of the whole two generations' worth of inspiration and efforts simply out of convenience or prejudice". Prior to becoming DM of my parish, I was the pianist for a lot of praise and worship music and, as a musician, found any kind of music enjoyable to play and sing. My comments above were in response to a comment about why congregations have such trouble singing hymnody. While there are certainly exceptions to everything, as you generously outlined, the fact remains that a great deal of contemporary church music of the past 40 years does have a pop feel to it and people find it easier to sing. Of course, this is only my innocent observations, but they are based on my personal experiences in several parishes.
  • GavinGavin
    Mass of Creation Gloria goes up to an Eb. I just point that out to people.

I may have told this story, but at my last job, when I started the priest told me that the congregation was used to hymns in low keys, and that I may want to start with using lower keys and going higher - the organ had a transpose knob. So, first hymn, "The Church's One Foundation". I'm used to it in Eb, had the music for that, but it was in C in the hymnal. Fine, grumble, grumble, it's an 8:00 Mass, maybe I can use the knob and bring it down 3 half-steps. Everyone complained about it being "so high". The next week, I transposed even lower, 4 or 5 half-steps. Everyone still complained about the music being too high! Finally I just said "screw it", and stopped using the transpose knob, and there were still complaints, which I ignored.

Then, one day while practicing I played around with the transposer. Turns out that turning it LEFT makes it go HIGHER! Oops. The interesting thing is that the congregation could still sing the high Gs and As that I was actually playing...
  • marajoymarajoy
    LOL, Gavin! (I did that once, for a funeral, on an organ I wasn't very familiar with. The cantor was obnoxiously bossy and kept saying things like, "and this one you can turn down 3." [or whatever.] After the first one she came over and was like "um...you turned the knob the wrong way..." I felt kind of bad...she probably thought I was doing it on purpose!)
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • CharlesW
    If it had been me, I would have done it on purpose. LOL.
    Thanked by 3marajoy Gavin CHGiffen
  • I've never found four-part singing essential in congregations. First, I respect the strong tradition of unison singing of Gregorian chants, Lutheran chorale tunes, and the like. Second, four-part singing requires four-part music in hymnals. Third, the chances of the four vocal parts being represented in any particular part of the congregation are pretty slim. Focus on strong unison singing; the choir can provide four-part singing on inner stanzas if desired.
    Thanked by 1SanAntonioCath
  • Liam
    Scott does raise a good point: demographically, baritones and mezzos dominate the vocal distribution, so SATB settings that are designed to be sung by PIPs work best if they keep that distribution in mind when voicing and pitching the settings.
  • ScottK, I agree. I've never heard it done well. For those in favor of it, I would challenge anyone to play a recording of how it sounds in actual practice (not from the choir loft: from the pews). That would end the practice real quick.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    ScottK. Point 1: Lutheran chorale "tunes" and English hymns when sung in Lutheran churches and Anglican/Episcopal churches sound a lot different than when typically sung in Catholic churches. Reason? Point 2: Four-part singing requires four-part hymnal music, which is the norm in Lutheran and Episcopal churches (take a look at The Hymnal 1940, for example), but which is not the norm nor has it been in Catholic churches for decades upon decades (to the detriment of hymnody in the Church). Point 3: These "slim" chances are to be expected in Catholic churches, but you will find a far different response in Lutheran and Episcopal (and many other Protestant) churches. In other words, it seems to me that your points all represent what might be a decades old Catholic bias against four-part singing brought about by limited exposure to what four-part congregational singing can be.

SanAntonioCath. Make your recordings in a number of Lutheran churches or Episcopal churches (such as found here in the Twin Cities area) - not in Catholic churches which have no tradition of four-part singing.

While I have a singing range of over three octaves, I have many, many friends and fellow singers who are either low basses or low altos and cannot comfortably sing "unision" settings. At least the low basses can usually fake it by trying to follow along on the bass line of the accompaniment, even when they don't have the music. The altos have a much worse time of it. I speak for these singers who, by and large, feel disenfranchised from singing because of only having unison material to sing from.

You'll also note that, earlier in this thread, I made a case for providing four-part hymnals as the norm. So you know where I'm coming from. And, while I try to understand where you are coming from, I must respectfully disagree, if only because I disagree with perpetuating an environment that makes singing difficult for a significant portion of those who otherwise should and would be singing.
  • WendiWendi
    CHGiffen...as a low alto...I thank you. Although with the help of a good voice teacher my range is increasing again, for years I had much difficulty with unison singing.
  • It would be interesting to see a study of denominations and their traditions when it comes to four-part congregational singing. I think it's not the norm in the Church of England, particularly (harmonizing is largely left to the choir), and the Lutheran chorale tradition is unison (except for chorales harmonized by Bach, for instance, originally for choral singing in cantatas). Four parts (and no accompaniment) are a must in the Church of Christ and in some very traditional Presbyterian places, probably mostly in Scotland now.

If a congregation is singing lustily in unison, with the choir perhaps in four parts on some stanzas, and good sensitive organ accompaniment, I think this is ideal. I don't mean to say there's anything wrong with four-part congregational singing, and where it can be done, it's wonderful and prayerful and uplifting, but I also think unison singing is in no way deficient and is a fine tradition of its own and can be all those things too.
  • francis
    a couple of summers ago i was playing a recessional piece with a trumpet player for a wedding and i was supposed to turn the transposer BACK TO 0 (which was on 4 for the piece before it).

I forgot...

Needless to say, the trumpet DOES NOT ADJUST to the key the organist is playing in. (Thank God he kept on playing... have you ever seen (and heard) a frowning brass player staring at you while playing in a different key that you are playing in?!

So for the first three measures it sounded much like Ives as I turned the knob WHILE I was playing the piece...

descending chromatic chords of the trumpet voluntary in four different keys until I matched the trumpet...

Da
    Da
    Da
    Da

From that point on, I have DESPISED the transposer knob. The mind is a much safer mechanism.
  • TCJ
    I've had some of bad experiences with the transposer buttons (yes, buttons on this organ). I changed the key of a piece and the organ didn't just switch the key... it added a new one. Talk about an awful noise. After it happened twice (not in a row) I stopped using the thing altogether.
  • chonakchonak
    In our cathedral, the transposer engaged once without anyone turning the knob, so the hymn went up a half-step in the middle of a verse; and a few lines later it went up again; and yet again. The Eminent celebrant had a puzzled look on his face.
  • CharlesW
    At church, there is no transposer problem. The Schantz doesn't have one. At school, however, is a 70s-era Hammond. It has transposer buttons above the great manual. They are so touchy, I have to play on the ends of the keys to avoid them. I have had a couple of incidents when I accidentally touched one of those buttons and dropped 4 half steps. When that happened, I quickly hit the black button in the middle of the row and got back to standard pitch. Since I retired from teaching at the end of May, I rejoice that I will never have to play the wretched thing again. They can call looking for an organist, but I won't answer.
  • Skatsing
    Sorry Musicteacher. I should have read more. My dad stopped attending Mass thanks to Kumbaya. The early stuff, especially when they took a pop tune and forced pious words onto it--I think that was done a lot with the ordinaries--was the worst. But so much wonderful stuff has been done in the last 20 years.
    Why is it being bossy to ask for an organ accompaniment in a key that suits the vocalist?
    If you have a knob is it that hard to learn to turn it? Although one can sing in a wide range, certain songs if put in a bad key lie on one's break notes and become devilish to sing well and a strain to a trained voice. It just plain is like playing the organ with a hammer instead of your fingers. Sooner or later it's gonna get broken.
    The you sing too high is an excuse like so many others for people who either don't like the selection, don't like the cantor or don't like to sing. I was told by a pastor I had sung a hymn too high and it was the one with the lowest upper note of all the hymns of the day. It's pure bullying. For that man I had to play/sing with a metronome in my ear to convince him that I was doing it the tempo he wanted. He would have me sing each hymn ahead of time and sometimes with the collusion of an usher tweek the tempo up or down a notch. Even with that he once claimed I hadn't done it the right tempo. He was dying of cancer so he had gotten to be particularly hard to please.
    If only there were not this everybody sing dictum we'd all have half a chance to do a decent job!