One-manual organ works
  • Gaudium
    Hello all, my three-manual Hook & Hastings is away for a year for full restoration. In the meantime, I have a lovely one-manual (split keyboard), four rank Hook & Hastings. If anyone has organ repertoire to suggest for preludes/postludes, including anything other than Couperin, Clerambault, Frescobaldi, and the like; perhaps anything more recent for variety's sake, please chime in! Thanks!
  • Diapason84
    Charles Callahan “Music for Manuals” booklets have several good, easy pieces. (A few are a little too sugary or overly simple.) There are also the numerous Oxford volumes, edited by CH Trevor, of music for manuals by early English composers.
  • CharlesW
    If you like Franck you could get L' Organiste Fifty-Nine Pieces for the organ or harmonium.
  • davido
    L’heures mystiques of Boellmann.
    The Facebook page Preludes and Postludes for every Sunday usually posts lots of things for manuals only.
    Thanked by 2DavidOLGC Gaudium
  • liampmcdonough
    I second the oxford "Old English" organ music books. Also Telemann's chorale preludes are all lovely. The Pachebel Magnificat fugues as well as his Canzonae from the manualiter. Also the works of Thomas Babou, though that might be too similar to what you have listed. His Courante is lovely: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=S6vrlMkXKZU.

Some of the Brahms chorale preludes work, especially his Schmücke dich.
    Thanked by 1Gaudium
  • CharlesW
    Have you looked at Handel and John Stanley? English organs of that day didn't have pedalboards as we know them and were often one manual instruments. I wouldn't be surprised if some works may be on IMSLP free of charge.
  • PaxTecum
    These are great too:

https://imslp.org/wiki/12_Voluntaries_and_Fugues_for_the_Organ_or_Harpsichord_(Handel,_George_Frideric)

Also, some of the movements from Nicolas de Grigny organ pieces can be played on a single manual if needed.
    Thanked by 1Gaudium
  • Felicia
    Some of the Heures mystiques by Leon Boellmann might work for you:

https://imslp.org/wiki/Heures_mystiques,_Opp.29-30_(Boëllmann,_Léon)

Thanked by 1Gaudium
  • Felicia
    Someone else had already mentioned Boellmann. Sorry for the duplication.
  • Palestrina
    If it’s split keyboard, how about trying some two manual repertoire as well?
  • Gaudium
    @Palestrina- Yes, I can do some two manual rep, but just have to be really careful that LH stays below middle C and right hand stays above middle C, whether in its notation or me reworking a few things. Just looking for some not-too-much-thought rep for summertime! :)
  • M. Jackson Osborn
    Find a slew of one manual works by going to 'voluntaries' on the internet.
    Many books have titles like 10 voluntaries, 20... and more or less.
    Some are for more than one manual, but very many are listed as for one manual from the Baroque era.