Parish Choir of Boys and Men
  • SalieriSalieri
    I am an Organist/Music Director in a Conservative Parish in the North East. I would like to start a choir of Boys and Men since I've noticed, especially after working in the area Middle & High School the past couple of springs on their musicals (yeah, cheesy I know, but it pays well), that there are almost no young men singing in choirs anymore. How do I convince the pastor to allow me to start such a venture? Any suggestions? I especially want it to be open to men and boys outside of the parish so that more young men can be exposed to excellent sacred choral music [Which has been de facto banned from these schools].
  • I send you every conceivable encouragement in this endeavour. It is a sadness that such choirs are rare in our culture.
    Check into the Royal School of Church Music, which has an American division, and you will find that they have
    manuals on the training and development of boys' voices as well as much other literature and music that would
    be of interest to you. I suggest you join the RSCM if you haven't already. Directing a choir of men and boys is
    one of the most rewarding experiences a church musician can have. Ditto for the boys themselves - they form
    relationships and bonds that last a lifetime. Godspeed
  • David AndrewDavid Andrew
    My recommendation would be to start the treble choir as mixed. You'll likely get a larger number of girls than boys, but with enough of a mix you'll be able to build a large enough group that they'll experience successes in a short period of time. Then, as you perform standards tests and boys begin passing, you can divide them up by gender.

It will be a tough battle, but well worth the effort. The unfortunate reality is two-fold: our culture doesn't actively promote the participation of boys in serious musical endeavors, rather favoring pop-culture experiences over more sophisticated ones, and boys unfortunately have a shorter "shelf life" than girls, unless you want to figure out how to incorporate changed and unchanged voices into your program. Boys are maturing much earlier than they used to, and many boys begin to show signs of voice-change at a younger age, sometimes as young as 10 or 11. Girls can continue singing "through the change" without much difficulty, and often the older girls act more maturely than the pre-change boys do, unless you really lay down the law. Also, boys really do respond to a bit of healthy competition, and will surprise you at how quickly they rise to otherwise counter-cultural challenges.

The other thing you may experience, although the culture in the North East seems to be more conducive to boy's choirs, is a major conflict between sports and music, especially with the boys, but more and more with the girls as well.

If I may suggest an excellent model: The boys' and girls' program at St. Paul's on the Green, Norwich CT (here: http://www.stpaulsnorwalk.org/compline.html). Vince Edwards, though and Episcopalian (with Episcopalian sensibilities), is a consummate master at building programs of this type. His website is a great place to gain some ideas about marketing and structure that you could easily adapt to a serious-minded conservative Catholic parish.

Good luck and congratulations on your ambitions!
  • David Andrew's advice is very good. In addition, there is one other approach, which is to train the boys WITH the men. By starting the entire group out on unison chant, for example, this can work.

The reason it seems to work is that the boys will see this as a masculine activity from the start.

And, when you break the boys out for individual rehearsal, references to how the men will like what they are going to hear, that sort of thing, will continue to reinforce.

But most of all: Get the parents involved. If you do not have them behind you, failure looms. I require a parent or guardian to accompany children to all rehearsals. This impresses adult responsibility on the project, much as Suzuki lessons do. It also helps protect you and the children from dangers, such as children being snatched while out to the restroom, wandering out of the building on their own and out of your control.

Parents are the key to the success of any youth activity.

And Jackson's right, the RSCM is valuable. Their choral training scheme, Voice For Life is well worth the $....get the Instructor's manual and the course books.
  • My experience with boys' and girls' choirs--fairly extensive--suggests strongly that the genders should be kept separate for rehearsals, if not always for singing in church. If the boys' group is not separately constituted, it will seem like a 'girl thing' and attract fewer boys than otherwise. Similarly, boys are often not willing to use the full strength of their treble voices around girls until they feel confident, something that happens best in separate rehearsals. We need, also, to revisit the understanding of choir singers as operating as vicarrii in choro--trained singers standing in as chanters for priests. Of course, only males can fulfill this role and only males should ever be vested in any form of actual liturgical vestment, including cassocks, surplices, albs, etc.
  • kevinfkevinf
    I would wholeheartedly agree with Mr. Page as regards going on and separating the genders. Having done so for some 15 years and starting my third choir program from scratch, I am definitely separating the genders. Boys will sing better with other boys and the girls will be fine. Starting with separate genders also helps the parish realize that there are different approaches with each gender (which there are in terms of vocal development).

Use RSCM materials and also get connected with the boychoir networks in this country (US), There are not many boychoirs, but they can be really helpful. Also, look at puericantores.com (the Roman children's choir organization). Great stuff.

E-mail if I can be of help. I have a whole curriculum and standards for my kids and will be starting all this in the fall.
    Kids are great. You will love the boys and their sound. It is heaven.
    Be patient with them.
  • WGS
    How to convince the pastor --- point out that these boys mostly are those whose parents will encourage and continue to support them in their activities and interests. These boys will be in sports and Scouting and school work and other activities which compete for their time, but they will take an interest in music and the liturgy and eventually delight in knowing that the gentlemen of the choir can not function without the trebles. "You know, Rev. Father, these are just the boys who might consider the possibility of having a vocation to the priesthood or religious life."

I concur with those who suggest beginning with only boys or only girls in separate choirs. Either group can sing beautifully, but I think it is well attested that in a mixed choir of children, boys will lose interest at about the time they are beginning to blossom musically. I think you will find that you treat boys differently than you would girls, and the two groups will respond differently. -- nothing to the discredit of either boys or girls or the director.

Eventually, you can add the ATB voices to the boys (or girls) occasionally and then regularly as the treble voices become more competent. As the years go by, quite often the treble boys will "graduate" to ATB, but that's a different issue.

I also agree that you should look into the RSCM programs and find an opportunity to observe directors using their methods.

Good luck and best wishes.
  • SalieriSalieri
    Gratias ager vobis! Please, keep the suggestions coming! I will difinately look into the RSCM. (P.S. I hope the Latin is correct; I'm just learning, ha ha!)
  • While RSCM choral training methods and materials represent the gold standard for working with treble choirs, the organization's on-the-ground activities need to be approached with great caution by Catholic musicians. Catholic choirmasters themselves could gain a great deal of insight from seeing individual RSCM choirs and the organization's legendary summer courses in operation. On a strictly musical level, these training courses can be as inspiring as some aspects of the CMAA colloquium. Unfortunately, Catholic children should be kept strictly away from most RSCM activities, which are largely Episcopalian events and thus liberally populated with ladies dressed as priests and other distressing liturgical and ethical situations common in latter-day Anglicanism. There are individual RSCM-involved parishes which might be appropriate sources of inspiration and models for Catholic choristers, but directors would need to exercise careful judgement.

For choir-to-choir contacts, festivals, and diocesan activities, Pueri Cantores would be the organization of choice for Catholic treble choirs. They are far more active on the west coast and parts of the mid-west than in the east, unfortunately.
  • JamJam
    (Don't you mean "gratias ago vobis," or "I give thanks to you," rather than the passive voice, "gratias ager vobis," which means "I am given thanks to you"?)
  • SalieriSalieri
    Thank you very much.

By the way, does any one else detest the [American] Idea of having mixed children's choirs where very little attention is payed to teaching our children to sing well and more emphasis placed on being "cute" for the ego inflation of their parents?

(Sorry for the interruption, but, yes, it seems that Mrs. Elizabeth Regina Smithe-Smythe-Smith's head has just completely burst after haven been inflated to new world record proportions by the superfluous praise and congratulations of numerous parishioners after her child's [who didn't really want to be in the choir in the fist place] gut wrenchingly cute debut solo of "Simple Gifts", out of tune in four different keys, none of which were the key the organist was playing in. Congratulations Mrs. Smithe-Smythe-Smith on this incredible new world record!...And now for something completely different.) (Apologies to Monty Python.)
  • kevinfkevinf
    Puericantores is THE Catholic organization for children's choirs. But it is growing in the east. Festivals were added all up the east coast in the last couple of years. Sadly, it has still not caught on very much in the South, due to some unfortunate press. We had a festival in Savannah for some years but it has lapsed.

Mr. Page is correct that the roots of RSCM are Anglican. While I would not take as hard a line about RSCM festivals ( I have carried my kids to Evensong), we do need more instances of Catholic children singing together. As Catholics, we seem to resist children doing anything more than singing "Cute" songs and showing up for first communion. We then wonder why they have no clues about the liturgy or the church.

Catechesis must start early.
  • richardUKrichardUK
    All best wishes for your success. I was asked, nearly 20 years ago, by a aging parish priest to form a choir of boys and 6 professional male adult singers at an RC parish on the far northwest side of Chicago. This priest, a wonderful man, had been in a boys' choir in his youth, and genuinely wanted to have that experience available for the boys in his parish and its school. To cut to the chase, the parents of the new boy choristers, as well as the priest in charge, were 110% behind what I was doing, but not enough preparation had been done within the "politics of the parish" to get the other parish priests, the organist (female, feminist, and 100% oriented towards Haugen et al) and others on board with the idea of one Sunday mass using older traditional music. So, the program didn't really stand a chance. There was also a female "pastoral assistant" (a wanna-be priest) who basically had the priest's ear and was only halfheartedly supportive of this new choir, so there was a bit of power struggle thrown in too. I soon realised that no matter how this choir turned out, there would be angry people! After 1 year, the 12 boys and men were singing very well together and the parents were thrilled for their sons to be singing, as one of them said "the old, glorious music again", but nevertheless I was told that this new choir "is simply too divisive for this parish", and my contract was not renewed. Many disappointed parents, as you can imagine. One told me: "this choir is the first and only thing my son has been really into!" Moral of the story: do your homework, plan carefully and make sure as many people are behind your choral goals as possible. Even if parents and priest are behind you, other people need to be convinced too, or you might face the struggles I did over that year. I reckon that now, with the advent of the TLM and places like St John Cantius Parish in Chicago leading the way, things might have turned out differently. I can only hope so.
  • BruceL
    For what it's worth, my mentor, Gerre Hancock, formerly of St. Thomas Church (ECUSA), 5th Ave., would recommend splitting the trebles into boys and girls as soon as possible. It should, assuming you have the backing of your pastor and the parish families in general, lead to greater participation by boys as it will encourage cameraderie and discourage the "choir is a girl's thing" sentiments among the kids. I am interested to hear how it works if you start with men AND boys from the ground up. Question, Salieri: are the men paid, or is this an all-volunteer venture? Just wondering. Best wishes in the endeavor.
  • SalieriSalieri
    BruceL:

I assume all-volunteer. There are a number of 'people-in-charge' who are, well, cheap! There may be some remuneration for the men, but probably not much. If the choir sings at weddings there will be some payment for the men and the boys, of course. I've heard stories of Cathedrals having to cut back on the choir because of financial issues, and I don't want money to be a reason for the 'powers-that-be' not to support this project.
    I don't want the boys and girls to sing together, and neither do the boys and girls. We have a choir that is almost all women with two men: myself (tenor) and a bass. I'd rather have the girls sing with them, and explore S(S)A(A) music. That way both choirs will have their own repertory and be equal but different.