Ave Verum Corpus - SAB 3 parts mixed communion motet
  • I'm back to a smaller choir again as voices go off to college for the Fall, so it's back to the planning board to figure out some pieces within our skill sets and talents.

Here is a piece for smaller and less capable choirs for consideration--let me know your critiques. The divisi in m 15 is not harmonically necessary (indeed, maybe not even compositionally necessary!)
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Simply. Exquisite. Just. Lovely.
  • Once again, you’ve crafted something terribly lovely. I find myself in the same position as you and scrambling a bit, because my choir has lost a few members (including toe kids to college) and a few other members have really started to show their age and simply cannot do what they used to be able to do…

As you know we’ve used some of the other things you’ve posted, and we will likely use this too. It is beautiful. My only critique, if you can even call it that (as I said, I love it), is that the piece seems to really change character at m.35 “O Pie”. This was no doubt intended, but it did strike me as a little abrupt. It wasn’t so much the shift to major as that the major feel seemed somehow different to what had come before, and not just in chordal quality but in some other manner which is hard to quantify. Still lovely, just the same.