Qualities of a Great Music Minister: What Are They?
  • GambaGamba
    There is also the danger in Trad parishes post the new motu proprio (TC) that a bishop may decide that effective immediately, in his diocese there can only be a TLM on the fifth Tuesday, only in months that have a fifth Tuesday, at Ss. Toaster and Carpet of the Exurbs, at which point the people who pay your salary will go to the four winds, to their next-favorite parishes, leaving you in a truly difficult spot, hopefully with the same pastor, but who knows..
    Thanked by 2ServiamScores Elmar
  • Sadly, Gamba, many of our bishops seem unwilling to restrain real abuses of the liturgy.
  • achoyce91
    @MatthewRoth , I was thinkin' it might have pertained to his. However, it still sounds like an email to your parish priest. Let me say God Bless You to know I wish you the best with the choir and so you know I'm not tryin' to be a jerk.
  • MatthewRoth
    I was simply elaborating on his point, and if that wasn't obvious fine, but that's also the nature of the forum. I'm perfectly fine asking Father the things that I need to ask, and I wouldn't air the really intense disagreements, certainly the unresolved ones, in public.
    Thanked by 1Elmar
  • CharlesW
    Never argue with a priest. The "Snow White" method works much better. Does Father like apples by any chance?
  • achoyce91
    Ok.
  • My personal favourite is getting a text message from your priest in the middle of work that he wants a high Mass the next day instead of the usual weekday evening low Mass, or you find out 30 minutes before Mass that he has decided to do a different Mass after you spent all your practice time practicing the full propers for that Sunday.
    Thanked by 2MatthewRoth CharlesW
  • achoyce91
    Yeah I'm outta here.
  • francis
    @SponsaChristi

I would never allow that to happen even once or you then have set a president that is entirely unreasonable.
    Thanked by 1MatthewRoth
  • achoyce91
    Hey this discussion is gonna end. I got A LOT of... interesting feedback. Made me email the grad school I was thinking about going to. But despite everything, I think will still audition for the program. Thank you everyone for your feedback!
  • achoyce91
    Crud I don't know how to end it lol.
  • ServiamScores
    You can’t “close” a thread.

It would have to be shut down by admin. (To be clear: I don’t think the thread should be closed. The broader discussion about the qualities of music ministers reaches beyond the OP.)

• I would never allow that to happen even once or you then have set a president that is entirely unreasonable

I wasn’t/am not in charge of our music program. I am just a volunteer singer who, due to poor communication from our priest at the time to the actual music director, whom our priest didn’t realize was the music director, and thought he was just the organist and the guy who directed the polyphony, I became the eyes and the ears of the parish in order to keep our music director abreast of things out of necessity. It was stressful. The one Sunday I didn’t double check the Mass (because it wasn’t my job), was the day the priest changed it from the Sunday Mass to the Feast of the Holy Rosary.
  • Andrew_Malton
    On a Sunday? Must have been a long time ago, before 1955...
  • , whom our priest didn’t realize was the music director,

Speaks volumes!
  • MatthewRoth
    Oh gosh. Luckily, we have all of the special Sundays and feasts on the calendar in January until January 1 of next year. Things can be added, but things won't be changed like that once they're set barring some unusual circumstance.
  • achoyce91
    @ServiamScores Ok. Can definitely agree with that. Post away!
    Thanked by 1ServiamScores
  • On a Sunday? Must have been a long time ago, before 1955...

No. It was a few years ago. Truth be told, I didn’t even think it was transferable since it’s only a 2nd Class Feast, and we are not accustomed to transferring feasts to Sundays. He did something similar on Corpus Christi. He was going to transfer it to the Sunday, and then the Sunday he decided he’d do the Sunday Mass instead since he had such a good turnout for Corpus Christi on the Thursday.

Our priest was very pious, but when it came to communication and administration, his human side came out.
    Thanked by 1MatthewRoth
  • ServiamScores
    If he was yanking things around like that, I'd probably still sing the propers that the choir had prepared... if it was just me and I could read the other stuff on the fly, fine. But if I had rehearsed the choir? He'd get what he'd get.
    Thanked by 2francis CharlesW