Should the Hymns rhyme?
  • francis
    Something that escapes the conversation here is that a translation can be read and understood and meditated upon while singing the Latin. Latin is global. Vernacular is niche.
  • Kathy
    English is spoken by a billion people, the overwhelming majority of whom have no facility in Latin.i don't believe they should be denied this unique font of the Tradition.
    Thanked by 1Liam
  • MatthewRoth
    but that's the catch. Entire generations have largely been deprived of Latin.
    Thanked by 2tomjaw francis
  • Liam
    What if they don't feel deprived?
  • MatthewRoth
    Virtually everyone under the age of 50 wouldn’t feel deprived, because they never knew that Gregorian chant, in Latin, existed and have never heard it. Some may have heard it academically, when studying music, or through New Age sources, but that is a fraction of the people who grew up going to Mass or those who continue to do so as adults, and honestly, it’s not always clear that people know that chant is the church’s music and Latin its language when things like chant quotations in pop culture are explained. (The Dies Irae played by SEC marching bands is taken from the plainsong, and so is the quotation in _The Shining_.)

The fact remains that whatever we do with the vernacular requires maintaining the Gregorian repertoire and the use of the Latin language. A good example of this being done easily even without doing more is Benediction: the same two hymns, and maybe a couple of other antiphons and psalms (Marian antiphon, the prayers for the pope and bishop, the Adoremus in Aeternum, maybe the Cor Jesu Sacratissimum) are used week in and week out, and the translations are pitiful. It seems perfectly reasonable to just use Latin. That not even very normie people would object is proven by the availability of Latin texts and music in mainstream Catholic hymnals and the famous missalettes.
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • Liam
    Matthew

I don't disagree; I am champion of the idea that oft-encountered texts can bear a higher register of language (including Latin), because of their percolative potential. I have long advocated that the Latin texts are part of the birthright heritage of Catholics, and even if they have been - functionally - estranged from them, it is the duty of pastors and music ministers to undertake reasonable efforts to undo that estrangement, so that they don't sound strange and unfamiliar: if the reaction of typical, reasonable PIPs is "what the heck is that?" it's a sign of Work To Do, not Work To Be Avoided.

That said, I don't think retaining the purity of the Latin to the *exclusion* of good vernacular translations is reasonable principle purpose in the OF. Latin and vernacular are mutually strengthened by coexistence. Therefore, I think the work Kathy does is just as vital a part of the larger work to be done.
  • Liam,

I'll nominate Kathy for membership in the next group set to translate the Mass into the vernacular.
    Thanked by 1Liam
  • francis
    I did not say exclude the vernacular... the translation should be printed side by side, but the Latin should be sung.
  • tomjaw
    The great Latin hymns have all been translated into English by some of the finest translators... We have a vast array of Translations to choose from.

I wonder when we get to sing these hymns to their English Translations... We only have a short entrance procession, so only time for two verses of the Salve Festa Dies we finish with the Marian Anthem... We sing Vespers to the timeless form in Latin, at Benediction we sing the timeless Latin texts of St. Thomas.

At Stations of the Cross we sing the Stabat Mater in Latin...

Our EF congregation does not get to hear English Hymns, apart from at our May Crowning and the Deanery Corpus Christi Procession.
    Thanked by 1MatthewRoth
  • Entire generations have largely been deprived of Latin.

Yes, and that is a shame. Yet, I think it unwise and unrealistic to dream of a time when the entire Latin Church will come back to an all-Latin Liturgy. Therefore, one has to consider how to properly incorporate the vernacular into the Church's worship.
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • Kathy
    I'll nominate Kathy for membership in the next group set to translate the Mass into the vernacular.

No, no, I'm not such a Latinist as that. Nor a liturgical scholar. I have a knack for rhymed verse and the kind of brief speech that a translator of hymns needs, as well as a certain patience that waits until a phrase is quite right, and a good amount of theology study.
  • Fr_Buffer
    I am in favor of rhyme in most cases. It adds beauty and richness to the text, and makes it more memorable. Somehow rhyme "harmonizes" with melody in performance so that, when it is done well, the whole is greater than the sum of the parts. Here are some examples of my work that will, I trust, illustrate what I mean. https://www.ubiclaritas.com/translations/
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    @Fr_Buffer - these are wonderful! Thank you so much!!
  • Wow! This is a treasure trove! I love your translation of Iam Lucis Orto Sidere. This would be a very good hymn for early Lent or Ash Wednesday next year, as well as it's proper day in the Office. Thank you, Fr. Buffer.

Iam lucis orto sidere
    Deum precemur supplices,
    ut in diurnis actibus
    nos servet a nocentibus.

Linguam refrenans temperet,
    ne litis horror insonet;
    visum fovendo contegat,
    ne vanitates hauriat.

Sint pura cordis intima,
    absistat et vecordia;
    carnis terat superbiam
    potus cibusque parcitas;

Ut, cum dies abscesserit
    noctemque sors reduxerit,
    mundi per abstinentiam
    ipsi canamus gloriam.

Deo Patri sit gloria
    eiusque soli Filio
    cum Spiritu Paraclito,
    in sempiterna saecula. Amen.

Now that the sun is risen high,
    We bow to God, and humbly pray
    That he preserve us from all harm
    In every act we do today.

The tongue to bridle, lest it sound
    With grating strife or with unease;
    To watch our eyes, and cover them,
    Lest vision drink in vanities.

Deep in the heart may all be pure,
    And folly find no place within;
    May sparing use of food and drink
    Tread down the pride of flesh and sin.

That, when the day at last retires,
    And nature’s law brings back the night,
    We may, by abstinence kept clean,
    Sing glory to our God in light.

To God the Father glory be,
    And to the Christ, his only Son,
    And to the Spirit Paraclete:
    One God, while endless ages run. Amen.
  • Kathy
    Fr. Buffer, your work is wonderful!

I know of two other excellent hymn translators as well, both priests, both (like Fr. Buffer) excellent Latinists.

I'm fairly certain the hymns *could* rhyme.
    Thanked by 2Fr_Buffer CHGiffen
  • francis
    What if they don't feel deprived?

What you feel is not as important as what you attain, and often feelings can deprive you of attaining much.
  • @Fr_Buffer
    Your translations are wonderful! Even though I prefer "thee, thou" instead of "you" when it comes to English poetry, this is an excellent work, a work you can be proud of.
  • Fr_Buffer
    Thank you for your kind comments.
  • Kathy
    Fr. Buffer has translated one of my favorite hymns. I call it "the one about the rooster." It's one of the few hymns that we can absolutely attribute to St. Ambrose, because St. Augustine mentioned it. Ambrose wrote hymns for his flock to encourage them during a "lockdown," when they occupied the cathedral night and day to keep the Arians from taking it over.

https://www.ubiclaritas.com/hymn/aeterne-rerum-conditor-eternal-maker-of-the-world/

It's a marvelous hymn that refers to St. Peter's awakening to repentance.

No modern hymn writer would think of writing a hymn about a rooster.

There are Latin hymns involving giants, monsters, and creeping things. One calls God "the author of [Christ's] advent here." One talks about Mary as a living ladder, by whom Jesus came to earth, and asks that we may climb the same ladder to the skies. Their daring far exceeds ours--and imitates that of Scripture.

While I have no quarrel with Francis' preference for Latinn as our Rite's sacral language, I would prefer that this simple yet profound, imaginative yet theological, devout, attractive, luminous treasury of genius religious poetry be made singable and memorizable (which is to say rhyming) for our time.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Liam
    The rooster hymn I am familiar with is the Christmas carol, All This Night Shrill Chanticleer aka The Chanticleer's Carol, which is a lovely pre-dawn Christmas carol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECxr3dbWdnI

https://www.hymnsandcarolsofchristmas.com/Hymns_and_Carols/sun_of_righteousness.htm
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • francis
    @Kathy

And after all this, you have to remember I am publishing a hymnal (mostly in the vernacular) to heighten the sacrality of the NO, using Caswall, Faber, etc. There is plenty of room for vernacular hymn in the devout life of a Catholic who sings throughout the day, every day.., LOH, devotions, processions, stations, etc.

And do please remember I have also set numerous English hymns by writers on this forum and one of my vernacular hymns is published in a common hymnal you may have on your shelf.

Do keep the craft alive and flourishing. God bless you.
    Thanked by 2Kathy Jehan_Boutte
  • Kathy
    The rooster hymn I am familiar with is the Christmas carol, All This Night Shrill Chanticleer aka The Chanticleer's Carol, which is a lovely pre-dawn Christmas carol:

Lovely indeed! Thanks for posting this, Liam.

I would only suggest that while there is a biblical reference here (Malachi 4:2, also used by Charles Wesley in his top-tier hymn Christ Whose Glory Fills the Skies), it's not as rich as the symbolism of the Ambrosian hymn. Ambrose includes the prophecy + the prophecy fulfilled + the fulfillment denied + the denial repented of and forgiven. This chock-full-of-Scripture character of the Latin hymns is one of the many things that makes them so attractive to me.
  • tomjaw
    We sang this yesterday but I wonder if the translation is a better hymn text, https://societyofstbede.files.wordpress.com/2016/03/hymnumdicamusdomino.pdf

More translations of Daniel Joseph DONAHOE, can be found here, https://holybooks-lichtenbergpress.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/Early-Christian-Hymns.pdf
  • many thanks for this, tomjaw!- Early Christian hymns featuring all the early and mediaaeval hymns seems a treasure trove at least as exciting as Neale's work. I shall go to work finding a copy tomorrow.

There are indeed several copies at Amazon and Ebay - ranging from $24-50.
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • tomjaw
    @MJO
    While I have a long list of jobs to do, I have left them undone and have been reading this book over the last hour... I then decided to find a little more about the Author, and find this is the first of a two volume set... https://archive.org/details/EarlyChristianHymnsSeriesII/page/n1/mode/2up
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • Kathy
    Here's my translation of the Vexilla Regis. A blessed Holy Week to all!