Bloggers at the Colloquium
  • mjballoumjballou
    What bloggers will be in attendance?
    I know a couple of the usual suspects in addition to myself at Sacred Miscellany.

I can hardly wait.
  • Charles in CenCA
    Moi. The Gimp aka Keyser Söze, Sommelier and purveyor of Musica Dei Donum Optimi.
  • Carl DCarl D
    I'm a blogger, but hadn't yet given any thought to posting anything about my work in Sacred Music. Hmm......
  • Jeffrey TuckerJeffrey Tucker
    Yes, yes, please post and post.

We also have a Twitter account, and if there are any crazed uncontrollable twittering fanatics among us, I'm glad to hand out the logins. I've tried but the twittering thing isn't really my thing. You know, I'm just old fashioned: I like to write long and thoughtful articles of 1000 words once a day, the old-fashioned blogging way. :)

In any case, the more bloggers the better. And as I said earlier, photos and recordings should be posted and shared as widely as possible.

Last year, there was a great dearth of blogging, and that's because we were all so busy and overwhelmed by the experience. Sadly, for the rest of the world, it seemed like the sacred music movement went completely quiet for an entire week! can't have that. Won't do at all this time around. We must have endless yammering and chatting and posting and buzz. Seriously.

Can anyone think of a workaround to the problem that the music and experience is so overwhelming that we all tend to stop posting?
  • mjballoumjballou
    Obviously, the bloggers will have to sleep in relays. Maybe those of us giving to long and thoughtful posts (not me, of course) will have to sacrifice and be willing to post a couple of lines with a photo or sound clip. AOZ is one of the queens of live blogging from Chant Intensives. However, we can emulate her example by following the advice of one of my author colleagues: "Just write something."
  • chonakchonak
    Maybe a few of us could just strap cameras to our heads and live-stream the experience.
    Now that's progressive thinking.
  • Carl DCarl D
    Last year I had a terrible problem trying to find a computer, and ended up just not checking my mail for a week. If you have computers available, that would help SO much! Or if I bring my own, is there Internet?
    oh it is a fully wired campus with open access wireless. The rooms are all wired to the hilt.
  • G
    I, who have one of the original home computers, (I think it was made by Thomas Edison....or do I mean Gutenberg?) am in jealous amazement of all of you with laptops :oP, and will be forced to make do with homing pigeons, and a string and two tin cans my husband has put together for me.

Seriously, it was very easy to get access to the computers at the library at Loyola.

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
    You can also snag one of those neat Acer netbooks for $250.
  • mjballoumjballou
    G - You can come and tap away on mine for the four days that I'm there.

I always wanted a homing pigeon.
  • Carl DCarl D
    So... How will people FIND all the blogs that relate to the Colloquium? Will we have a central list on the musicasacra home page or something?
    Oh I think we should post them all here. And I can and others can certainly post them on NLM and then also on Musicasacra and etc. etc. this is who things spread.
  • Michael O'Connor
    I think last year's writing was mostly done on this forum. That could explain the lack of external blogging.
  • Carl DCarl D
    Anything that's on this forum, whether it's summaries or pointers to blogs, will be buried inside the other content pretty quickly. We'll reach each other here, perhaps, but few new people will ever find it. I propose that we put a connection on the COLLOQUIUM page, pointing to the various blogs. When people hear about the colloquium, they'll be able to see what actual participants were saying about the experience. When advertising next year's Colloquium, we'll be able to show what people said in 2009. Very similar to the continuing value of producing that excellent video from last year's Colloquium.

Who owns the Colloquium pages? Is this easy enough? What information do you need from us?
  • VickiW
    My RSS reader gives me only the most recent 25 entries for the combined group of forums. I like Carl D's idea.
    It's a good idea to post on the front page. Let's start a thread here and then we can repeat them on the front page. I think we did that last year.
  • Kathy
    I keep meaning to mention that I'll be at the Colloquium and will probably post more often than normal. In other words more often than every month or two. I have this phone thingie and maybe I can do some stuff in realtime.

www.hymnographyunbound.blogspot.com
  • mjballoumjballou
    I have a phone thingie too - and I just tested it. Yippee.
  • G
    "I keep meaning to mention that I'll be at the Colloquium and will probably post more often than normal. In other words more often than every month or two."

Good. I don't like to complai... oh, who am I kidding, I LOVE to complain.

mj, you have a phone thingy and you tested it? It's kind of hard for me to follow that.
  • Kathy
    G, thanks for the compliment - complaint.

See you soon!
  • mjballoumjballou
    Jeffrey - I succumbed to an iphone and managed to figure out how to post to Sacred Miscellany from this device.
    To you, that's small potatoes. For me, it's another technological leap forward.

As a consequence, if I learned the secret of eternal musical happiness at the Colloquium, I could rush into the hall and post it forthwith.
    so that's your phone thingy huh?

ok, great, that's all we need, yet another iPhone snob! I'm stuck on Verizon and I'm fed up with everyone laughing at me. You will probably be telling me the latest gas prices, reading from wikipedia, trolling the nlm combox, and other such effortless things. I think it allows you to blog just by looking at it. You will probably write a "colloquium app" before the end of the week.
  • That's okay, MJB. My husband and I are iPhone snobs too, and we'll join you in writing that "Colloquium app."
  • MJB, you succumbed? Just don't get a bluetooth ear piece, that's succumbing.
    I used my "old" IPhone to post here yesterday during the Spanish language homily of our bishop at my last of five Masses for the day, and the second Confirmation; that was a first for it and me. "Texting" during a homily one can't understand I don't feel to be unseemly. A 58 year old man texting on a device, prima facie, does seem unseemly on principle.
  • Jeffrey,

I have a Blackberry Storm with Verizon and can do everything an Iphone does w/o having to use AT&T wireless. You should be laughing at the Iphoners in that case.
    Ok, well, I just have what I thought was this fancy Verizon phone. In theory, it does everything a desktop computer can do -- provided you have 10 million years during which time you can attempt this feat. I find that its internet capabilities are bad to horrible. Meanwhile, all the teens I know are posting and yammering and blogging and building whole cities using their magic iPhones, and now it appears that I will be outblogged at the colloquium too! This is what is meant by the Vale of Tears.
  • Jeffrey,

Trade it in for a Blackberry Storm. It's pretty darn close to an Iphone.
  • Michael, I think Turk had a brand new Storm at San Diego Intensive, and was on the tip of the learning curve.
    And Jeffrey, you may be subject to many challenges- being outblogged by anybody, anywhere is not among those!
    Veiled in tears of envy in America's breadbasket,
    C
  • Carl DCarl D
    OK, I started a Sacred Music category on my blog: http://dierschow.com/wordpress/?cat=21
  • mjballoumjballou
    Jeffrey - it's all Scott Turkington's fault for showing off his phone in San Diego. He was very excited about getting his emails even if he couldn't figure out how to call anyone. I'm sure he's progressed.
    And no one could outblog you.
  • Okay, no more of this "you show me your phone, I'll show you mine!"
    I think I'm coming into a good deal on some Mondavi Reserve Cabernet, and if you want me to pack some in the UPS case for the last night, thou shalt not further carp on anything QWERTY!
    "And the second commandment, Charles?"
    THOU SHALT NOT TWEET, TWITTER or just be a TWIT!"
    I happened to make the mistake of opening this month's AARP rag during lunch today, and again was reminded what dweebs we Boomers are- there was actually an article by some geezer addicted to his Facebook habit.
    Of course, our time here is, uh, spent......invested.......uh........donated, yeah, dat's it (Morgan Fairchild).....donated to the edification of the Faithful and soli Deo gloria.
    What is this thread about again?
    Turkington has an iPhone??? This is getting crazy. I recall when William Mahrt showed me his "email checker" that turned out to be an iPhone. I showed him how it calls and receives calls in addition to substituting for his desktop computer. I did recently buy an Acer "netbook" computer but sold it in order to spare its life (I was ready to hurl it across the room). Meanwhile, I'm still strapped to my boring old Dell laptop. I don't even have the fancy Alienware computer I had last year (that one broke). Seems like I'm regressing as everyone else in the world is progressing. I'm not proud of this. I'm with you Charles on Twittering, and Facebook hasn't really caught on for me either. At this rate, I could be back to parchment in a few years.
  • Scott has a Blackberry Storm, Jeffrey. In January, it had much more cachet than a 3G IPhone. But January was light years ago....sigh.
    Curses, I broke my own commandment. No syrah for me!
    yeah, that's what I was thinking. The Blackberry Storm is soooooo January 2009!
  • Just don't let Arlene anywhere near that little Verizon notepad that's so June 09!!! You won't see her eyes lifted for the whole week.
    Oops, bad Charles, bad Charles.
    Is there any other kind of Charles?
  • G
    I'm thinking of tossing my cellphone on principle and refusing to interact with anyone who tries to contact me using one.

Two weeks ago a chorister took a call.
    At Mass.
    During the consecration.

• chonakchonak
    And I thought taking photos during Mass was bad! :-)
  • AOZ
    No blackberries here. Twitter, shmitter. I'm planning on producing a series of Colloquium 2009 Papyri.
  • JDE
    I'll bring a chisel and mallet to engrave on my blogelisk when I get home.
  • AOZ
    Cave paintings, anyone?
  • JDE
    I can make an omelet that looks just like a torculus resupinus. Does that count as chantblogging?
  • marymezzomarymezzo
    Only if you take pictures of the culinary process and the result and post them online . . . or at least tweet about it . . .
  • Kathy
    Light the signal fires! The Colloquium has begun!
  • PETROglyphs, Arlene....I LIKE IT. Besides, I'm used to doing most of my prepatory work inside of dank, dark and dreary environs that often prompt hallucination, throat singing and circular dancing. Hey, that's like some of those YouTube videos of Episcopalian services in SF I've seen! Or were those from CTA liturgies? Large, moving cubist heads surround me now....
    Nevermind, Wendy's just handed me morning meds. But if you find a cave at Loyola, or want to pay for a one way ticket to Lascaux, I'm yer guy! And Kathy, if you can translate my murals into hymns, bury the lyrics nowhere's near Nag Hammadi.
  • G
    Good reminder, Charles -- who's in charge of the giant puppets for the CMAA Colloquium?
    How tall is the doorway to Madonna della Strada?
    If we were REALLY progressive we'd use them for Liturgy of the Hours, not just Mass, doncha think?

Oh, I think neumeomlet.blogspot.com is indeed available!

The liturgical puppets can be photoshopped in after the event.
  • mjballoumjballou
    Who's responsible for the cuneiform?
  • chonakchonak
    Any giant liturgical puppets seen in the Strada will be baptized by full immersion in Lake Michigan and return to the mush from which they came. Along with their animators.