The New normal
  • CharlesW
    Bureaucracies are human beings. People tend to forget that.
  • Charles -

Are you really sure that they are human?
    From my experience the greater number of them are mere automatons.
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • CharlesW
    They are people operating under the constraints of procedures and policies they often don't make. Keeping their paychecks requires following them.

A second thought. Sounds a bit like a Catholic musician's job, doesn't it?
    Thanked by 1CatherineS
  • a_f_hawkins
    Policies and procedures which do not always match up.
    I recall an awkward delay caused by the Archbishop and the MC having detail differences in the rubrics for the Baptisms at the Easter Vigil.
  • CharlesW
    I knew personally of a priest with a huge ego and his ongoing battle over an arrangement of the "Our Father" by the progressive (she thought) music director. As best I could tell, she had begun the thing in a way he didn't consider acceptable. Two huge egos with obnoxious and overbearing personalities.
  • Charles,

One doesn't usually intone the Our Father for the priest, does one?
  • CharlesW
    She didn't intone it, but wrote it in Finale in a way he found offensive. She refused to rewrite it. The impasse reached the point he refused to sing it so we had spoken "Our Father's" for several years after. He considered it incorrectly notated and she didn't. Neither would budge.
  • Um..... Oh.... my....

Did she have stock in Finale, and he have stock in some other company? Yikes.
  • SalieriSalieri
    Ah, the dot. Sometimes the humble dot says it best - even though it seems a small thing, it stands in place of what was said, which, upon reflection, was best left unsaid.
    Thanked by 2tomjaw francis
  • CharlesW
    The interesting thing is they had known each other for many years and I think some of their disputes went back years before I arrived on the scene. They were sometimes funny, often maddening to deal with. He's dead and she is retired - blessed be the name of the Lord.
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    I've apparently lost the drift of this thread, but fwiw the New Yorker is giving free access to all its CV19 coverage including the future of the sacramental wine business.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • CatherineS
    Speaking of new normal, I must say I've gotten quite adapted to my "mostly at home" life, and miss only a few things, and don't miss at all the enormous amount of time spent going hither and yon, especially when combined with waiting for this or that. I am going to try to eliminate as many hithers and yons as possible to maximize quiet time in my studio. It's been a real treasure to have the extra time for prayer, music, art, and even just having more conversations with my mother and husband. There are times when I have needed and will need to go across town, but I always ended up adding on to those: "Oh, while I'm out I'll just stop by the grocery/bank/park/bakery/campus"...and before you know it I've spent 3 more hours on top of the original 3 hour round trip outing, and now the day is basically far spent, and all I've got left is checking email, making dinner, and feeling frustrated that I didn't get more time in the home office, nor time to practice music today, or so on.

I will frankly say, too, with some chagrin, that I am both very much missing Church, but also very relieved not to have to deal with all the people, politics, noise, and enforced social time (I have occasionally thought of writing a book called "Catholicism for Introverts", since I have a few friends who suffer similarly).

And I think the quarantine has served to reveal some friendships I was not really conscious of, or didn't value enough. That's been very nice, actually, and good to know. I'll pay more attention to those friendships; I need that.
  • bhcordovabhcordova
    I would buy 'Catholicism for Introverts'! Could I get mine autographed?
  • So would I!
    Thanked by 1CatherineS
  • Ken of Sarum
    People have been "sharing" for thousands of years. As Solomon once said, there is nothing new under the sun.