The New normal
  • CharlesW
    I wouldn't mind if the church took away communion for a while. It might cause greater appreciation for it. Now we have whining teenagers screaming, "Noooooo! That's not how I want it." Throw in a few foot stomps and roll in the floor kicking and screaming.

Look, if the saints received in the hand for approximately four centuries, it danged sure ought to be good enough for anyone here.
  • Schönbergian
    It's already been pointed out that the method of receiving in the hand was drastically different in the fourth century as compared to today, to say nothing of the other devaluations of the Eucharist that accompany common practice today.
    Thanked by 2tomjaw dad29
  • CharlesW
    You mean before the Pharisees regulated and nit picked it to death?

There have been times when priests would lie down in Irish fields and consecrate the elements resting on their chests to avoid the British. During wars, mass has been said for the troops using the hood of a jeep. Unusual times and events called for adapting to the situation as best possible. The folks stepped up and did what they had to do.

Not now. The whining never stops.
  • a_f_hawkins
    I came across this reconstruction of an actual infection incident, and found it helped me appreciate that aerosol transmission is probably significant.
  • I realise that the preference for receiving on the tongue arises from great reverence. I would suggest, though, that there is no irreverence in receiving in the hand. As an Anglican I had received on a throne made of my hands all my life. It was a terrible honour and gift that I looked forward to. There was nothing that I ever touched that I held in such great awe and trembling reverence. I was sometimes moved almost to tears that he 'by whom all things were made' was resting in my hands for a brief moment before entering into my body and soul. There is no greater gift. The very cruel irony now is that in the Ordinariate all we ex-Anglicans must receive by intinction on the tongue, while I can go to any Roman Catholic church and receive in the hand just as I did as an Anglican. It is obvious that I am out of step with most of my friends here, but I am disappointed deeply, even hurt, by this being spoon fed by the priest. There is nothing so humbling than holding God in one's hands before that God becomes heavenly Food. God loves to come to us, loves to be our Food, and is not demeaned by being received in our trembling and adoring hands - just as the Disciples did at that first Eucharist and countless faithful did for centuries after.

I respect those who prefer receiving on the tongue for their great reverence and deep humility - but there is no irreverence or lack of deep humility in receiving God in one's hands.
  • Jackson,

No offense intended, but when you were an Anglican, you were receiving just a piece of bread. You learned reverence because particular strains of Anglican thought inculcate it, so you would have shown reverence even to Kathryn Jeffords-Sciori if the occasion called for it. Catholics who grew up receiving on the tongue found it unsettling and often irreverent to receive in the hand, and those who grew up Catholic in the modern era were taught irreverence and non-chalance as a matter of course. (Yes, I know there are exceptional places, but they demonstrate the truth of the general observation.) When they're bored at Mass because [fill in the blank here] and they receive Christ Himself in a non-chalant sort of line-dance manner, there is, even accidentally, not much soil in which the seed of reverence can take root.
    Thanked by 3tomjaw CCooze dad29
  • Elmar
    those who grew up Catholic in the modern era were taught irreverence and non-chalance as a matter of course. (Yes, I know there are exceptional places, but they demonstrate the truth of the general observation.)
    I must have grown up in an exceptional place! My experience as a youngster exactly matches MJO's description.
  • Chris -

It may have been just bread, but I perceived it to be just what the BCP explicitly says it to be: the very Body and Blood of Jesus. (cf., the Prayer of Humble Access, the Prayer Book canon, and the Prayer of Thanksgiving, etc..) The BCP is so explicit that the the bread and wine in the sacrament are verily the Body and Blood of Christ that I have heard several priests go out of their way to 'assure' people that they were not.

As for the contemptuous Mme Jefferts-Schori, I would have and did hold her (thankfully she came along after my time) in utter contempt as one of those unprincipled persons, a poseur, who destroyed any claim that the Anglican world had to being truly Catholic. Even many of the old genuinely Anglo_Catholic parishes and dioceses blinked and swallowed priestesses. A sad day, indeed. Catholics should weep at the loss, not gloat with puffed up spiritual pride as I see many do with more hauteur than a French aristocrat.
    Thanked by 1Elmar
  • CharlesW
    There was a time when Anglican orders were invalid but don't be too sure about that today. A local Episcopalian priest some years ago had himself ordained by a rather -thumb-in-your-eye Orthodox bishop in the middle east. Given Latin church views on orders, that priest gave the body and blood of Christ to a significant number of Protestants.

Chris, how could you possibly know who is bored at mass, whether they give a rat's behind about line dancing or their interior disposition and degree of reverence? "God I thank you that I am not like other men..." Luke 18:11.

“In approaching [for Communion] therefore, come not with your wrists extended, or your fingers spread; but make your left hand a throne for the right, as for that which is to receive a King. And having hollowed your palm, receive the body of Christ, saying over it, ‘Amen.’ So then, after having carefully hallowed your eyes by the touch of the holy body, partake of it; giving heed lest you lose any portion thereof; for whatever you lose is evidently a loss to you as it were from one of your own members.”

St. Cyril, Bishop of Jerusalem and a Doctor of the Church—and the words were his Catechetical Lecture 23.

• SalieriSalieri
    Personally, I think that the practice of Communion in the hand fell out of use for a reason. I think that it is dangerous to bring it back: I live in a small town in Western Massachusetts; however, we have an ever-growing population of those involved in magic---particularly, several priests (including one who has had to call in the Diocesan Exorcist on several occasions) have told me, in the Puerto Rican community. Also, while serving Mass, I can attest to the Host falling from people's hands onto the floor---obviously, an accident, but still, a problem. Yes, occasionally a Host does drop when someone receives on the tongue, usually because they are not opening their mouth properly, but it always falls on the paten; not the case with 'in the hand', when it slides from their fingers, bounces off their shirtsleeve, and falls to the ground.
    Thanked by 3tomjaw dad29 veromary
  • Charles is right about Anglican orders. Since the BCP rite of ordination has been held to be not sufficiently explicit as to whether the ordinand is being ordained into a truly sacerdotal state, there is room for question as to whether this Anglican priest is a Catholic one, just like the Romans and the Orthodox. In fact, as Charles notes, there have been many, very many, Anglican priests who, in order to be certain that they were, indeed, Catholic priests, got themselves ordained by an Orthodox or by one of the national churches that broke with Rome over infallibility, but whose apostolic line remained intact. Ultimately, while we have made our peace with those who delight sneeringly to grumble that Anglican orders are not valid and like haughtily to assert that Anglican priests are 'ministers', there is, in fact, no certitude either way. Many in Anglican orders are unquestionably valid, while many (most?) are or may be invalid. In a purely ontological sense, we do not know with certainty one way or the other. This much is certain: developments in the last half of the XXth century rather shot off any leg the Anglican world had to stand on as concerns its being truly Catholic, and that is why we who have crossed the Tiber did so and are glad of it.

An interesting sideline to this question is the fact that, as is not well known, a group of Anglicans approached Leo XIII about the very question of Anglican orders. He appointed a commission to study the matter and the commission's recommendation was that they were, indeed, valid. Well, the English bishops got wind of this and were horrified and inundated Leo with frantic petitions that this just must not be. So, Leo overrode the commission and declared Anglican orders invalid. I have always thought that if Rome had held out a hand of encouragement we might have been spared the disastrous developments of the last sixty or seventy years, that we as a whole might have been pulled in another direction. As it is, though, history has unfolded as it has unfolded - it, like Pilate, has said quod scripsit scripsit. While we can never know surely about all Anglican orders, there is no doubt that many are in a valid line of succession.

Meanwhile, we in the Ordinariate have come into a safe harbour, our people have a deeply Catholic sensitivity, and we are ever grateful to HF Benedict for it.

From my youth up I prayed that some day there would be a rapprochement between Canterbury and Rome. As it became clear that that was not going to happen (that the distance betwixt them was becoming wider, not narrower) I prayed that somehow it would come to pass that we would have an Anglican entity in Rome and that we would have our own bishop, just like the Catholic oriental rites. My prayer has been answered with gratitude to Benedict XVI, who made it happen.
    Thanked by 3CharlesW CHGiffen Elmar
  • CharlesW
    Keep in mind that the bishops are not telling everyone that from this day forward they must receive communion in the hand. What they have said is that in their judgement it is best practice during this pandemic. Things will return to normal when this is over.

Jackson, I agree on Anglican orders. What might have been clear cut in earlier times is no longer so.
  • Jackson,

The Prayer of Humble Access is one of my favorites, and I remember it fondly even all these years later. When I discovered that it was official teaching that this prayer was utter nonsense..... I remember thinking... "How can this be?"

On the subject of holy orders, it might be helpful to lay down some conditions on which to answer the thorny question. 1) Did the ordaining bishop have valid orders; 2) Did the rite he used contain what was necessary; 3) did the ordaining bishop have proper intent; 4) Is the man receiving orders.... male? (remember that, Justin Welby notwithstanding, only males can validly receive valid ordination).

Charles,

I don't know who is bored or why, and I'm sorry that I gave the impression that I did. As a musician in many parishes I learned from whoever was in the chain of command that liturgy was boring to our youth, and we needed to "meet them where they are", or " make it meaningful to them", or "give them what they want" because "they are the future of the church".
    Thanked by 2tomjaw bhcordova
  • Liam
    Salieri

People could preserve a host in their mouths in prior days for nefarious purposes, especially when Communion was typically received outside of Mass and when it was not untypical to avoid mastication, and keeping your mouth shut in church was normal . . . .
    Thanked by 1Elmar
  • Chris -

I shant bicker with you over this any longer.
    But, about the Prayer of Humble Access, I didn't know that anyone had declared it 'utter nonsense'. It just happens to be in the Ordinariate Use in the same place that it holds in the BCP. I have but one grumble about it - the whole congregation, not just the priest, now say the prayer. This was an innovation of the '79 BCP. According to earlier ones the priest alone said it and the people responded with 'amen'. Somehow this is more seemly. I'm glad that you like it - it has always been one of my dearest devotions. So, since it is in the Ordinariate Use you, as a Catholic, can now say it privately at mass whenever you please.
    Thanked by 3CHGiffen tomjaw Elmar
  • CharlesW
    That is quite a beautiful prayer, Jackson. It looks like solid doctrine to me.
  • francis
    It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.
    Hebrews 10:31

It is an even more fearful thing for the living God to fall from our hands.
  • BruceL
    If anyone hasn't seen the article on the Seattle choir, here it is: https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6919e6.htm

Posted without comment! But I think we should all read it, at aleast.
  • a_f_hawkins
    And look at this article, which goes into more physical details about another example
  • dad29
    There was a time when Anglican orders were invalid but don't be too sure about that today.

Aside from Leo XIII's final proclamation, this statement is self-contradicting. IF there were no successor Bishops, which you acknowledge in the first clause, THEN there can not be 'valid' Anglican Orders today. (Yes, there are exceptions, and no, I'm not Anglican-bashing.)

What you postulate is analogous to this: "I am the great-grandson of Peter X, but Peter X had no children."
  • Dad,

The claim is that Anglican orders from the time of Henry VIII are not valid, but that some Anglican persons, desiring to have valid orders, submitted themselves to someone whose orders were unquestionably valid, and that these persons therefore validly confected the sacraments. They remained Anglicans in some sense, but they also claimed valid orders. So, if they managed to make it to being an Anglican bishop, somehow, then the orders they really did have they could transmit to those who submitted to them. Thusly (if I understand the situation) they bestowed validity on Anglican orders.
  • a_f_hawkins
    More succinctly - they had Old Catholic bishops as co-consecrators. Since the Catholic Church recognizes those Old Catholics as having valid orders, all those they consecrate validly can claim apostolic succession. (Even if schismatic)
  • CatherineS
    I think one of the things that most baffled me upon conversion was discovering that Catholics aren't all "unthinking zombies mindlessly following the Pope" - in fact there seems to be an enormous diversity within the Church, ranging from wacky extremes, through the boring middle, and all the way to the other far end of wacky. One guy explained it to me once as "trying to hold the Church together in a loose embrace" so as not to simply throw out anyone who wanders a bit off the narrow trail. But I do think sometimes what the Church manages is something like a big family that keeps welcoming all its children, even if some are in bad relationships, difficult patches, ill-health, open rebellion, that goth or punk phase, or even abject crash and burn. With perhaps the hope that somehow, despite the mess, God will keep a hand on them, and in the long run they will benefit more from being welcomed home over and over than from being thrown out on their behinds.

*edited to fix some typos
    Thanked by 2bhcordova Elmar
  • TCJ
    Back on the topic of Communion, I recently heard from a priest that instances of a priest touching a person's hand are much, much more common than touching a person's tongue. I don't think science has too much to do with decisions on forbidding Communion on the tongue.
    Thanked by 2tomjaw rich_enough
  • francis
    @CatherineS

Well put... it really sounds like a God who will do anything to have his children come home.
  • CharlesW
    I thought the issue with Anglican orders concerned the ordination rite the Anglicans use. It was deficient. Any bishop using a different ritual with valid orders himself can validly ordain.
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • Charles,

The form he used would, also, have to be valid.
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • chonakchonak
    There are some cases in which research might provide an argument in favor of validity, but in which the Church might decline to officially accept that argument, out of caution. After all, the Church wants to be certain that priests, including convert clergy, will be validly ordained beyond any doubt, and not subject to challenge because later research calls the intention of a non-Catholic prelate into question.
    Thanked by 2tomjaw Elmar
  • dad29
    because later research calls the intention of a non-Catholic prelate into question.

Yup. The examples proposed above have a lot of "ifs" and "perhaps-es" embedded within.
    Thanked by 2tomjaw francis
  • Elmar
    Salieri,
    I can attest to the Host falling from people's hands onto the floor---obviously, an accident, but still, a problem. Yes, occasionally a Host does drop when someone receives on the tongue, usually because they are not opening their mouth properly, but it always falls on the paten; not the case with 'in the hand'
    In that case the problem is not communion in the hand, but failing to use the paten.

I don't get why a priest - like our pastor - would do his best to celebrate the OF Mass as reverent as possible, promote communion on the tongue in a parish where 'in the hand' has been the norm for more than 50 years - but not use the paten in the latter case.
    For more than two years I've seen Sunday after Sunday an acolyte holding the paten under the chin of those receiving on the tongue, but withdrawing it when the next communicant makes the gesture for receiving in the hand. I tried to ask our pastor why it was done this way, and what point I was missing; to no avail.
    Thanked by 1CCooze
  • rich_enough
    @Elmar - Perhaps the Host fell after the person walked away from the priest? This is one thing that can't happen when the Host is received on the tongue.
    Thanked by 2Elmar tomjaw
  • Elmar
    Perhaps the Host fell after the person walked away from the priest?
    Maybe, I don't know - and it doesn't address my point: why not reduce this risk by using a paten for communion in the hand as well? Especially when an acolyte with a paten stands one foot away...
    And concerning your point: why not mention in catechesis (if necessary; homily at Corpus Christy might be a good occasion) that receiving in the hand doesn't mean that you walk away before consuming!
  • Elmar
    Chris
    I learned from whoever was in the chain of command that liturgy was boring to our youth, and we needed to "meet them where they are", or " make it meaningful to them", or "give them what they want" because "they are the future of the church"
    I recognize this. Even when the conclusion is wrong, the observation probably is to the point.

An anecdote: My family loves a yearly retreat spanning Old Year's Eve and New Year. I also like it, except for (you guess it) the happy-clappy music in liturgy. So at some point I proposed to the organizers to have 'real' Vespers on one of the evenings, with chanted psalms and hymn and dialogues, the full program (in the vernacular, that is).
    To my surprise they agreed; so I prepared it, including two 1,5h after-lunch workshops to teach anyone interested how to sing Vespers (from scratch, and of course a capella).
    My next surprise: Nearly half of the adults joined the workshops instead of going for a walk or having a nap ... and not one of them had ever sung chant. So we were going for it! Probably for the first time in their lives, the kids would experience a 'sung liturgy' properly speaking.

So when I announced what was going to happen, I warned the kids that I had double bad news for them: (1) it may be boring, and (2) this was exactly what it was meant to be.
    For the following two reasons:
    - Liturgy in its very nature is the exact opposite of a useful activity in any secular sense; therefore it mustn't create wealth, nor have a specific purpose, nor be exciting.
    - Vespers specifically is supposed to lift you away from the speed and the stress of a working day, into a mental state of timelessness and absence of activity; in order to become open to what, and the One Who, is beyond the earthy.
    The last surprise - at least to me; to all of you this would have been obvious beforehand: the kids were fascinated, and the 'happy-clappy' parents loved it. We're going to do it this year again if corona permits!
  • SalieriSalieri
    I don't get why a priest - like our pastor - would do his best to celebrate the OF Mass as reverent as possible, promote communion on the tongue in a parish where 'in the hand' has been the norm for more than 50 years - but not use the paten in the latter case.
    For more than two years I've seen Sunday after Sunday an acolyte holding the paten under the chin of those receiving on the tongue, but withdrawing it when the next communicant makes the gesture for receiving in the hand. I tried to ask our pastor why it was done this way, and what point I was missing; to no avail.

We always use the paten, whether the person is receiving on the tongue or in the hand (except we won't be able to now, since the Bishop has banned servers). Hosts fall on the paten more during communion in the hand than on the tongue.

Perhaps the Host fell after the person walked away from the priest? This is one thing that can't happen when the Host is received on the tongue.

Bingo. I was serving and holding the paten. The person fumbled it when attempting to consume it. The priest retrieved it, and insisted they receive on the tongue.
    Thanked by 3CCooze tomjaw Elmar
  • I have never come near to dropping a Host when receiving in the hand - but quite a number of times I have almost dropped the Host when receiving on the tongue... when the priest failed to get it far enough onto my tongue. I believe that receiving on the tongue is far more dangerous for the Host than receiving in the hand.
    Thanked by 1Elmar
  • Public Masses for the entire Catholic world are suspended for weeks or months (or still suspended - Trump has now beaten some bishops to the punch in declaring churches essential); we finally get them back in places, and we are now agonizing ad nauseam over whether we might have to receive on the hand for a while. I'm trying and failing to see a proper sense of proportion in this discussion.
  • SalieriSalieri
    I'm sorry Mr. Ostermann, but I have to disagree. I can't help but notice that you work in a diocese that permits communion on the tongue. You are not having to deal with this problem. We are. There are other things I would like to say, but charity demands that I don't. Good day.
    Thanked by 2tomjaw Elmar
  • Jared,

There is more than one good reason why the practice of manual communion was abandoned for hundreds of years. Just as people don't want to get comfortable with "livestream" Masses, they don't want to grow accustomed (or anesthetized) to the idea of manual communion.
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • CharlesW
    Vatican II and liturgical changes afterwards were more than 50 years ago. Many Catholics were not even alive then. Most don't remember anything other than communion in the hand.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen Elmar
  • dad29
    Most don't remember anything other than communion in the hand.

So what? Most don't remember modesty in dress, either.
  • Charles,

The wisdom of the Church doesn't depend on the wisdom of the current age.

As to "most Catholics".....maybe I'm unusual, but I began receiving on the tongue when I became Catholic, and (to the best of my recollection) have never done otherwise since.
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • CharlesW
    Chris and dad, you can't rewrite history, and in most instances, you can't go back. Sometimes it can work on a limited scale with a small group of people.

As for current communion and mass practices, some reforms can be made but over time. There must be a willingness to restore practices to an earlier age. I don't see that willingness. I think it is quite possible to operate in a smaller group and start thinking, "Oh, everyone wants to be like us." No, they don't.
    Thanked by 2Liam Elmar
  • TCJ
    Rewrite history? Funny, but isn't that what many of the proponents of Communion in the hand say - that we should go back to the way it was done in the infancy of the Church? Funny how when one group wants to "go back" it's doing what the Church once did, but when the other group wants to, it's trying to "rewrite history."
    Thanked by 2tomjaw dad29
  • CharlesW
    As far as I know from viewing my local diocese, there has never been until the pandemic any directive to receive communion in the hand. Communion in the hand is an option with provision for those who want to receive on the tongue. Sadly, intinction - the remaining option - has largely disappeared in the west. One would think someone had taken away your snacks and favorite toy by directing communion in the hand until this virus is brought under control. If you are that bothered by it the solution is simple. Don't receive. It is your loss and no one else cares.

Thanked by 1a_f_hawkins
  • CharlesW
    TCJ, pick your favorite time period. Historical reenacting is the rage these days.
  • It's true - I'm lucky to be in a place where communion on the tongue is allowed, along with congregational singing, Masses with more than 10 or 50 people, etc. I don't intend to be dismissive of concerns about receiving on the tongue. I'm not in favor of banning things, and if the above were banned where I live I would likely be pretty ticked off too.

I will repeat, though, that what I'm not seeing is a sense of proportion. After what we've been through, I just think we might be a little more flexible/understanding/grateful to have the step by step return of public Masses at all.
  • dad29
    After what we've been through

Phrased differently: Knowing what we know now, why were public Masses banned at all after the first month of evidence that (outside of NYC) this thing was not 'as advertised.'
    Thanked by 2tomjaw CCooze
  • Jared,

The sense of proportion is exactly the issue. To say "I should be grateful that my wife was faithful to me".... is to express gratitude for what ought to be normal. Reception on the tongue is, wild fantasies to the contrary notwithstanding, the Church's preferred way of distribution.

Given that the public worship of the Church has been made mostly private, and that our bishops have, in the main, held more stringent requirements for re-opening than our governors, indeed we should be grateful that this period of silliness is gradually coming to an end. That it should ever have existed is cause for reflection.
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • CharlesW
    I think the rotten hands of ACDA might have been somewhat involved. At least the precautions we are working under seem identical to what I saw from them. If I am wrong, let me know since what they had may have come from somewhere else. Some of what is in those recommendations is excessive.

At the federal agency where I work part-time as a retiree, we received masks and hand sanitizer two or so weeks ago. Several of us agreed it was more than a month late.

Bureaucracies operate at less than lightning speed.
  • Liam
    So do human beings.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW