O Sacred Head - Various harmonizations?
  • canadashcanadash
    Does anyone have "O Sacred Head" in a few harmonizations in the same key (preferably something around C+)? I would love to find this already done b/c I don't have a lot of time to do this on my own. Thank you for any help you can offer.
  • I only have the one harmonization that most are probably familiar with - let me know if you need me to remove any of the extra items (page #, text description, etc.), or if you need it transposed. Hope this helps toward what you are looking for!
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • Kathy
    I'd look at the St. Matthew Passion and begin with the harmonizations there.
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • cmb
    Bach's harmonization falls in the "don't mess with perfection" category for me.
  • roy2
    A few years ago, I prepared the attached based on a resource I found in another thread:
    https://forum.musicasacra.com/forum/discussion/comment/163872#Comment_163872

Basically it is three of the harmonizations from Bach's St Matthew Passion.

The text is what is found in Gather Comprehensive but I'm fairly certain it is Public Domain.

Hope that helps.
  • Schönbergian
    It is worth noting that Bach's harmonizations of Herzlich tut mich verlangen were all written to accompany different verses, and were often in much higher keys as well. BWV 244/44 (what Incardination posted) was indeed originally in D major/F# Phrygian, but the other harmonization that comes up quite often (/15) is in E major/G# Phrygian. Bach reaches a high point of F major/A Phrygian for the titular verse O Haupt voll Blut und Wunden (/54) and the final harmonization of the Passion is in the lowest pitch of C major/E Phrygian. (/62)

It seems misguided, to me, to match these all into the same key, given Bach's original intentions. I would stick with /44 in D major or, if needed, C major; it seems the harmonization most appropriate for use throughout an entire hymn.
  • canadashcanadash
    Thank you for all of your help with this. It is much appreciated!
    Thanked by 1Kathy
  • ghmus7
    Heres one...if you like I can send you it for free if you give me your email.

https://www.sheetmusicplus.com/search?Ntt=Gregory+hamilton+passion