Good Friday - looking for suggestions
  • canadashcanadash
    The Triduum has passed and now we are in the Easter Season and I'm looking to fill in the gaps of where my choices fell short. Generally, I was quite happy with what I had chosen and the quality of music, but there were missteps. I would like to think that they weren't made due to pride! At any rate, I would like to change these for next year.

My choir is a simple choir. It has no paid leads, though we have more than a few excellent singers. Many do not read, and some cannot hold their pitch. I love them all to death. This is why I wish to choose music which is the best for them.

What we did well included the Victoria "Popule Meus," Durufle's "Ubi Caritas," Franck's "Dextera Domine," and Palestrina's "Sicut Cervus." We also sing all of the psalms SATB and chant the verses. These were some of the many successes. We also have a group of men who can chant like the wind. They are a blessing.

So, what I would like to know from you is, what could I add to the Good Friday line up that would be challenging, but not overly so, and yet beautiful too. Too much polyphony is out of the question. It just takes too long to learn.

Thanks for your insights.
  • CGM
    How about "O sacred Head," as harmonized by Bach?
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    I doubt you sing "Ubi Caritas", "Dextera Domine" and "Sicut Cervus" on Friday, so what exactly is the 'line up' to comment on?

We began with Victoria's St John Passion and added "Popule meus" with O Sacred Head. This year we finally replaced the Guimont Resp. with the Parish Book of Psalms, but I could imagine using the gradual instead someday.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    CGM makes a good suggestion about "O sacred Head" and Bach. But you might do well to go a step further. The "Passion Chorale" (as it is known) appears five times in the St Matthew Passion, in a total of four different harmonizations (the first two harmonizations are really the same, but pitched a semitone apart). The harmonization that is linked to above is for the third appearance (second harmonization) of the choral tune.

You might do well to use all four harmonizations, one for each stanza. The final harmonization to conclude the hymn ("Wenn ich soll einmal sterben") is particularly poignant. Of course, if they are to be sung in succession, one right after the other, then they should be transposed to a common key ... probably C or D major.

Attached is a handy reference and source for all the chorales in the St Matthew.

Thanked by 2canadash BruceL
  • kevinfkevinf
    Last year I introduced "O Crux Fidelis" in the chant form to my adults. It is an incredible traversal of salvation history and I found it to be powerful and exhausting ( in a good way). Latin or English, it is stunning. Two voices can alternate the verses and the whole group can manage the refrains.

I would not do Good Friday without it anymore. Between the reproaches and O Crux, it is worth the effort. Look at the Gregorian original or Adam Bartlett's translation in the LC gradual. Either way suits me, though I prefer the Latin for ease of flow.

.02 worth ( and that's probably expensive)
    Thanked by 2Spriggo BruceL
  • CGM
    On the topic of Bach's various harmonizations:

My friend Ralph Buxton runs a publishing company, the Notre Dame Choir Editions (distributed by C.F. Peters), and one of his publications does just what CHG suggests, using a different Bach harmonization for each verse of three different chorale tunes:

- O sacred Head (Passion Chorale), four verses
    - Ah, holy Jesus (Herzliebster Jesu), five verses
    - Christ Jesus lay in death's strong bands (Christ lag in Todesbanden), three verses

It's a wonderful publication. I do all four verses of "O sacred Head" every year.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • canadashcanadash
    Thanks to everyone so far.

Richard, I was just giving examples of what we do well so people didn't waste their time suggesting works that were out of our league.

I have had my men sing the whole Crux chant before, but I like your suggestion better Kevin. Thank you. I also like this by Willan, but it doesn't look like it is in print yet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=H1qMGFpFEmU#at=45
    Willan alternates his choral refrain with the chant.

I really like the suggestion of the "O Sacred Head" in the different harmonizations. We have sung this for years, but with the same harmonization for each verse. This is certainly something I think we could attain. Great links!
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen CGM
  • StimsonInRehabStimsonInRehab
    Crux Fidelis by King John of Portugal might be nice as an alternatim for the chant.
  • @CHGiffen I have seen that sheet so many times online... lol

I agree, it is a good resource.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • francis
    there is a psalm 22 posted on another thread which I composed and updated a few weeks ago
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • Gaudium
    Stainer's popular "God So Loved the World" is quite simple and effective.
  • canadashcanadash
    "God So loved the World" is a favourite here!

I'll look into yours Francis. Thanks.
  • GerardH
    Haha, reading all of the above, it seems our Good Friday seemed pretty standard.

Another vote in favour of Crux Fidelis. We performed it (some would say irregularly) with the antiphon in Latin for the whole choir, and verses in English alternated between smaller groups of men and ladies. It was most effective, and I believe found some level of medium between the use of Latin, chant and congregational benefit from the text.

Preceding it was sung the Reproaches, alternating between two choirs of men, which is a standing tradition from the very beginning of the parish. We have been using Fr. Weber's simple tone, which I would be keen to replace with something closer to the Latin chant, but I may be limited by the general skill-level of the choir. Oh well!

The Stainer we performed with a core group once again this year, not having having the resources to last year.

The Passion Chorale was unfortunately omitted, but I am hoping it will be reinstated in years following.

A highlight for the congregation each year is when the choir sings "Soul of My Saviour" (Maher's melody) in full harmony. They practically raise the roof in their pious enthusiasm!