Public Health
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    About half full today. What a Sunday to have dry fonts! We happy few sang Scarlatti's Justitiae Domini as planned, with me the sole alto and my wife, whose church has an earlier schedule, the sole soprano. Now we suddenly seem to be a men's schola I'm fixing my eyes on Intellectum tibi dabo for next week and la Rue's Miserere for Lent V.
  • Don9of11Don9of11
    This morning 8:15 am Mass at St. Paul's Akron, had strong 60-70, although I really wasn't counting them. The choir had 5, tenor(me), 1 baritone, 2 sopranos, 1 alto. We had adoration immediately after communion with benediction (once each month). We did David Haas, Deep Within as a reflection piece. I guess that piece is okay, but I could think of so many other more appropriate motets or devotional hymns. The Cleveland Diocese has absolved us of Sunday attendance during March. More on their website
  • Don,

I get the impression that someone else programmed Deep Within? What did this person hope that it would reflect, given that he chose it as a Reflection hymn?
  • Don9of11Don9of11
    Chris, the MD (she) schedules everything. I call it a reflection hymn. We sang Deep Within, right after O Salutaris. I guess to be Deep Within the Blessed Sacrament?
  • Liam
    And now non-essential gatherings of more than 25 people in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts will largely be banned at least until April 7th.
  • SalieriSalieri
    Currently Boston and Springfield (Arch)Dioceses have cancelled all public Masses and parish events, Worcester and Fall River are as normal. However, the Governor has just issued a ban on all public gatherings of 25 people or more, and ordered all schools in the State closed for three weeks beginning Tuesday 3.17.2020. I don't know what effect this will have on the current policies of the Worcester and Fall River Dioceses.
  • And (regarding the "non-essential" bans), the liturgy is essential or non-essential? Apparently the church says "non-essential". Interesting. Not "we will provide very low, fast masses (no homily, music, processions) for monitored small crowds" and/or we will disinfect the pews in between. This is the time for "Father 20-minute Mass" to shine! No plan for continuing Mass in a time of crisis, just "OK - gatherings are banned, therefore no more masses!" It is truly incredible how fast the church has unquestioningly run, not walked, in many places to discard her liturgies at the first hint from the state. Now there is a race to see who can cancel the Triduum the fastest.

There is an enormous amount of intellectual work that needs to be done regarding all these questions, because clearly after 2000 years of thought we are completely unprepared. E.g. all this is couched in protecting the vulnerable, which is a true and good motivation. But the question is how to balance that truth with other truths, such as the centrality of faith and the sacraments. Every year tens of thousands die during flu season, but the church never curtails liturgies to protect those vulnerable. Where is the line? I'm not saying I know, but I am saying that we were philosophically unprepared to face this.

Anyway, here in Sioux Falls I have given the choirs time off for at least the next 1-2 weeks to watch for developments. Ironically, that means more people handle hymnals now :) I could see us going to Mass without music for that reason.
    We had organ/cantor at all our regularly scheduled masses this weekend, with certainly a 1/4-1/3 drop off in crowds but by no means an empty church. No plans to cancel any Masses or confession times at the cathedral (and I have to say, I'm proud of that), but the bishop has lifted the Sunday Mass obligation. We will see if things calm down, or get worse over the next weeks.
  • francis
    @JaredOstermann

Your observation is spot on. Why on earth (or in heaven) would we run away from the means to wholeness, healing and salvation? It is because science (apart from faith) dictates this kind of thinking. These minds only gravitate to the natural and physical realities and are willing to suspend the spiritual (or even count it as a danger). We do this at an extreme cost, and a foolish one at that.

For those of us who still have the impetus, desire and means to attend, go daily if possible to the Mass and cry to heaven in reparation, especially for the short-sightedness of our own church leaders, many who are buying into this kind of nonsense.

Here is another thing: people are hoarding worldly goods thinking they are going to 'save' themselves in the long run. This reminds me of the parable of the man who filled his barns. Nuff said.
    Thanked by 1Earl_Grey
  • OraLabora
    You have to keep in mind Covid-19 has an order of magnitude greater death rate than seasonal flu, and sends 5% of those infected to the ICU. In Québec there’s an average of just over 11 ICU beds per 100k population. Just a 1% infection rate would totally overwhelm our ICU capacity, leaving no room for heart attacks or car crashes or other crises.

Ora
  • Earl_GreyEarl_Grey
    Haven't noticed it mentioned here yet, but the economic impact is staggering. Those of us who depend on Mass stipends (or other musical "gigs") for a living are going to be impacted greatly. Even if we don't get seriously sick, taking a few weeks (months) off of work will be devastating. Of course this isn't unique to musicians, lots of small businesses and those who work in the service industry are in the same boat.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • ViolaViola
    Look on YouTube for the Italian air force, not only creating vapour trails of the Italian flag (red, white green) but also reverently taking the Blessed Sacrament and a statue of Our Lady of Fatima into the skies to bless their country.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JABBv1wUzUI
    I have to say I can't see the RAF following suit.
    Meanwhile,try this

• francis
    Viola

That is a nice sentiment, and I am sure heaven smiles, BUT, the the single mandate from OLOF was not fullfilled... ONLY that mandate will save us from the chastisement upon us... nothing else.

Thanks for posting.
    Thanked by 1Viola
  • Earl Grey,

It's almost time for the monthly novena to the Infant Jesus of Prague.

Thanked by 2francis Earl_Grey
  • tomjaw
    You have to keep in mind Covid-19 has an order of magnitude greater death rate than seasonal flu, and sends 5% of those infected to the ICU.

Covid-19 has a forecasted death rate of 1%...* I am sure that the average Catholic over the last 2000 years would have loved only a 1% fatality rate.

* O.K. Italy is doing worse but we are beginning to understand those reasons.
  • bhcordovabhcordova
    In the Diocese of Tyler - no Sign of Peace, no Communion Cup, no non-liturgical gatherings. In addition, our Pastor removed all the missals & hymnals from the pews.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • CharlesW
    ...our Pastor removed all the missals & hymnals from the pews.

Now that's interesting. I have seen many hymnals I would consider to be toxic, but so far we haven't removed any from the pews. They did drain the holy water fonts. I found that interesting, too, since I didn't think this virus was a water borne illness. Peace sign? Glad to see it go but I know it will be back at the first opportunity.
  • CharlesW
    I hear emergency services are overwhelmed by Trads who had to receive communion in the hand yesterday. They tell me some of them are still gasping for air.
  • Don9of11Don9of11
    I learned today that all Mass' s in the Cleveland Diocese are suspended from now through Holy Week and Easter. Its really sad. More on this at the website
    Thanked by 1Jeffrey Quick
  • CharlesW
    This is what we will be doing if anyone cares to know what is going on in our corner of the Southeast.

Friday, March 20, 6:15 p.m.

There will be a Procession of the Blessed Sacrament around Holy Ghost Church, the Rectory, and the original Church, ending back inside Holy Ghost Church. The Procession is for protection and end to the coronavirus. Please plan to join us. This is a very important event.

We ask any who are unable to be physically present (continue to observe health precautions) to join in fervent prayer at that time. Stations of the Cross will follow.

In times of uncertainty and anxiety, where else would we turn but to Our Lord?!

"My Jesus I Trust in You."
  • CharlesW
    I just heard the Diocese of Memphis has cancelled all masses for the foreseeable future.
  • Here in the center of the California crisis, we've just been issued a shelter in place order, until April 7th. Necessary travel only. Violation is a misdemeanor.

I count Sunday Mass as necessary activity, even if I have to drive an hour each way to get there. The county may see things differently.

How appropriate that St. Patrick's feast day is the beginning of the order: he who drove the snakes from Ireland and who walked unharmed to the meeting with his chieftains will be pushed aside (in a diocese where he is one of the patrons) in the name of public safety and health.

St Patrick, pray for us.

If you don't already have a copy of the Lorica of ST Patrick, get one. Pray it every day until this stupid fuss is behind us.
  • "stupid fuss"
    I realize there is media sensationalizing every day, but just saying - the average age of diocesan priests puts them in the higher risk zone.
    Eight years ago, >40% were over 65. (ncronline.org)
  • CatherineS
    The economic fallout is going to be painful for people here (Brazil) who work for hourly or daily wages, or work off the books (selling snacks on the street, etc). Extra generosity in the community will be sorely needed.
  • Jeffrey Quick
    #CoronaLent: give up your job, your investments, your restaurants, your life, your Mass.
  • CatherineS
    Aha! The bishop has just dispensed us all from Mass, but Masses will continue and people are free to assist in person or via internet/TV, (while please respecting the city's request to avoid crowding). He asks that we take advantage of this Lent to pray for those afflicted by the virus.

• GambaGamba
    Public Masses now suspended in the Diocese of Rochester, NY until further notice. Priests told to continue to offer private Masses without the faithful. Churches may remain open for personal devotion at the discretion of the pastor and subject to further measures the state may implement. Funerals and weddings can continue if limited to 50 guests.

https://www.dor.org/wp-content/uploads/Letter-to-the-Faithful-regarding-the-Coronavirus-and-the-suspension-of-public-Masses-March-16-2020.pdf
  • Drake
    I know that coincidence does not imply correlation, but I would like to point a few things out that I think are surprisingly coincidental.

1. The Vatican and Communist China signed a secret accord, and the persecuted Church in China became even more persecuted. Thus far, the two countries hit hardest by COVID-19 are China and Italy.

2. The third secret of Fatima describes "a bishop in white ... we had the impression he was the holy father". Without making any conclusions but simply pointing out the obvious, we presently have a bishop in white who is not the current Pope.

3. Our Lord himself warns of an abomination of desolation. Even if it was not *the* abomination of desolation, certain idolatrous acts at the Amazon Synod took place in the very Basilica of St. Peter last fall, not long before COVID-19 was first observed.

4. Our Lady of Akita warned that we would see bishops opposing bishops and cardinals opposing cardinals. We have seen that at various synods and with the dubia. Later, after speaking of a terrible chastisement of fire from heaven, she adds: "The only arms which will remain for you will be the Rosary and the Sign left by My Son."

It is on this final point that I am particularly affected. Where I am, we have exactly two semi-public acts of worship available to us in our parish presently: Rosaries that are being coordinated and spread out on certain days to avoid crowds and prayer before the Blessed Sacrament (occasionally exposed), again in a way which avoids crowds. This is, for me, very sobering.
  • chonakchonak
    Some hymns our friend @oldhymns recommended for the current situation:
    http://www.catholicdevotionalhymns.com/2020/03/hymns-in-difficult-times/
    Thanked by 2CharlesW Don9of11
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    I'm not sure what local jurisdiction Chris lives under, but you can read the March 16 California state directive for yourselves and then decide if driving to an (unspecified) other diocese that hasn't yet cancelled Masses is actually a misdemeanor or not. As anyone can verify on the internet (for what that's worth), Mark Twain might never have said “A Lie Can Travel Halfway Around the World While the Truth Is Putting On Its Shoes”
  • Chris lives in the eye of the storm. 91 of the states 324 cases are located within the county.

Mind you, with a population of more than 1 million in San Jose alone, 91 cases is a tiny fraction of a fraction of 1 %.

Medical folks are going to disagree with me, but if we actually had an emergency and actually cared about making sick people healthy and healthy people maintained in their health, we wouldn't be under "Shelter in Place".
  • chonakchonak
    If you're a Latin-rite Catholic and your bishop has dispensed the faithful from the Sunday obligation, then attending is not an absolute necessity.

If you happen to live close to an Eastern-rite parish, it might be worthwhile finding out if they are still open. Several jurisdictions are still offering liturgy, and some are leaving it up to pastors to cancel or not, at their discretion. OTOH, weekday events are probably smaller and safer than any Sunday liturgies offered.
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    We're almost neighbors then. An hour's drive might get you to the Diocese of Sacramento, assuming they don't get around to suspending Mass too by next Sunday. You really ought to label things like
    Necessary travel only. Violation is a misdemeanor.
    as a bit of hyperbole though.
  • chonakchonak
    Good point. That website's list of instructions about social distancing is not mentioned in the executive order. It's presented on the page as steps that people are told they "should" do.

Or is there some other document issued for CGZ's area that is more severe?

And indeed misinformation, including unintentional misinformation, does travel faster than what is factual.
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    Things are changed as of this midnight, and the San Francisco Bay Area is now in fact under a shelter in place order, affecting Contra Costa County as well as some neighboring counties. Eye of the storm? We can hope so.
  • tomjaw
    Some interesting news,
    https://www.imperial.ac.uk/media/imperial-college/medicine/sph/ide/gida-fellowships/Imperial-College-COVID19-NPI-modelling-16-03-2020.pdf

So these social distancing measures, need to be in place for at least 3 months, maybe 5 months! Also any lock down may not work as when the measures cease, the epidemic will come back!
    So we are waiting for a vaccine (12-18 months) or antivirals (unknown timescale). What ever happens lots of people over 60 will die.

So our option is prayer... Perhaps shutting down the higher forms of prayer are not such a good idea after all.
    Thanked by 1francis
  • SalieriSalieri
    Springfield, MA, was allowing churches and public chapels to be open for private prayer. Now everything is shuttered, and diocesan offices will be closed for two weeks, and the diocese is encouraging parish offices to be closed also, or open only for limited times. When this is all over and services resume, I doubt that many parishes will survive for long: because the population of church-goers is so old and small, collections will never recover, congregations will likely be diminished in number.

I fully expect to lose my job within the next month.
  • I have a vision - everyone bouncing in bubble suits like the fame bubble boy. Serious, is not GOD powerful enough to over come all this through serious prayer by ALL?
  • bhcordovabhcordova
    Health officials are still saying wash hands for twenty seconds. To make that easy to figure out, 1 Our Father, One Hail Mary, and 1 Glory Be to the Father will take you past the 20 second mark.
  • SalieriSalieri
    That God can overpower Satan, I have no doubt---my doubt is whether He can overpower the Bishops. (Sometimes I think that Satan has sold his soul to the USCCB.)
  • Rod Dreher at the on-line "The American Conservative" has a sobering column today warning that the projections of the length of the pandemic crises will be much longer than predicted. He’s sometimes accused of being an alarmist but his fears often turn out to be justified because he’s a good investigative reporter.

If his foreseen 18 month ordeal is even close to being correct, the economic implications for musicians, not to mention most local business enterprises, will be catastrophic. I think it’s time for discussions about the implications for our future liturgical music landscape. What are your contingency plans?
  • From the document itself:

Please read this Order carefully. Violation of or failure to comply with this Order is a misdemeanor punishable by fine, imprisonment, or both. (California Health and Safety Code § 120295, et seq.)

and

All travel, including, but not limited to, travel on foot, bicycle, scooter, motorcycle, automobile, or public transit, except Essential Travel and Essential Activities as defined below in Section 10, is prohibited.

So, I'm not engaging in hyperbole.
  • CharlesW
    As of yesterday, our diocese has cancelled all public masses. The churches and chapels remain open for private prayer.

I am going to start calling choir members to cancel rehearsals.

• CharlesW
    I think it’s time for discussions about the implications for our future liturgical music landscape. What are your contingency plans?

When we go back, I get a few singers and we start again. I am salaried and could work 1 or 50 hours and it would make no difference. I'm not there for the money to begin with. Whatever happens, give me a few days and I will be back in business. Others may not be so fortunate.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen bhcordova
  • Don9of11Don9of11
    St. Paul's in Akron was open today for Adoration, we usually have Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament on Tuesday's. St. Sebastian's in Akron, is broadcasting daily Mass on YouTube St. Sebastian's Parish I thought some good news would be nice to hear.
    Thanked by 2francis CharlesW
  • Well Charles, I'm happy you can earn an income without working but others depend on their church salaries. How long do you think parishes can remain closed, which means not have weeking envelope offerings coming in, before they begin laying off staff? I hope those who think this crisis is an overblown hoax are correct, but fear they are being delusional. Conversations with my family members in the medical profession leave me deeply concerned.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • Chrism
    the economic implications for musicians...will be catastrophic

On the bright side every parish seems to be getting into livestreaming (some with music) and there will still be funerals and weddings, just with fewer people.
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    It's helpful to know exactly what "the document" refers to: the counties have been reacting one by one. To be sure, you did specify 'the center of the California' in the first place.
  • Richard,

I'm sorry. I'm in Santa Clara, in California. The governor issued an executive order in the last 72 hrs, and yesterday a directive (or order) came down from the County Health officer.
    Thanked by 1Richard Mix
  • CharlesW
    Conversations with my family members in the medical profession leave me deeply concerned.

I have had those same discussions with medical people and a chorister who has a relative at CDC is relaying the same concerns to us. So who knows. I, too, am deeply concerned.

I have make jokes about the priests looking under the pews for loose change that parishioners have dropped, but I hope it doesn't come to that. However, I fully realize many parishes are just a few weeks from insolvency.

Well Charles, I'm happy you can earn an income without working but others depend on their church salaries.

I realize many musicians do need their salaries and it would be a real hardship if they were not paid. In my case, I take the money because it would be insulting if the parish gave me nothing. I am greatly blessed that I don't need the money, give a significant portion of my salary back, and can work through and around anything that comes up. Given the worst scenario, I think I can have parish music up and running in a very short time when the virus subsides. As I often say, thanks be to God.
  • chonakchonak
    This article tells one writer's experience. He was exposed to the virus and he showed symptoms, so his doctor sent him for testing to an urgent care site. Strangely, the staff there refused to test him or even take his temperature. Astounded, he stayed nearby to watch the activity at the site. The staff summarily refused testing to the others who came -- relatively few people -- during the hours he observed, including people referred by doctors, people with noticeable symptoms.

https://stream.org/exposed-to-coronavirus-just-try-to-get-tested-jason-jones-did/

The people running that testing site were apparently telling a phony public story about high demand for tests by the public, and a high number of tests being performed. That is, they were fomenting public outrage.

After the man reached his congresswoman and she asked why this was happening, and the man's account was published in the Stream news site, the company swiftly announced it was no longer offering testing, and patients would need to turn elsewhere.
    Thanked by 2CharlesW CHGiffen