Need help identifying composer
  • tandrews
    Hello everyone,

I'm a first time poster, and have been lurking the forums for about a year now and attended the colloquium in Chicago last summer.

I'm trying to identify the composer of this particular responsorial psalm that was used at the New Ulm Cathedral a few years ago. I feel like I've seen this kind of chant setting before for other psalms, but have been unable to find the composer yet. I've checked ccwatershed's collection of psalms and tried some of the collections on the CMAA website but am still unsuccessful.

Anyway, as for a simple introduction, I'm the new DoM at the New Ulm Cathedral, trying to follow in the footsteps of Nathan Knutson. The new Nordlie he was able to get installed is a gem in the area! I just finished my DMA at KU, and hope to attend more colloquia in the future.

Thanks for your help! image
  • chonakchonak
    The score looks like one of Royce Nickel's settings. His psalms are available on-line at the "Chabanel Psalms" site.
    Thanked by 1tandrews
  • The Nickel setting for Good Friday hosted there now is eerily similar, but has a slightly different antiphon. Cf. http://www.ccwatershed.org/pdfs/royce-responsorial-psalm-good-friday-vocalist/download/

The pastor in Sleepy Eye isn't a huge fan of this kind of psalm refrain, so I haven't had an opportunity to become super familiar... ;-)
    Thanked by 2tandrews CHGiffen
  • Yep, I do believe this is Royce Nickel's work.

Hi, Tom. :^|D
    Thanked by 1tandrews
  • tandrews
    Thanks everybody! It was bugging me all day.

Hi Brad ;)
  • jefe
    Andrews, here are a couple settings we use at Compline. They are to be sung in parts, a cappella, or with all on the soprano part with organ on the harmonies.
    Thanked by 1tandrews