What would more active participation in the EF be like?
  • In a previous discussion, M Jackson Osborn raises an entirely valid point, and I hope he won’t mind my making it a starting point.

“One might add that the precepts of Vatican II as regards participation by the faithful in the mass are not even thought of as applying to the EF - though I wonder why it should be immune to them. Could it be that those who champion the EF imagine (erroneously) that the EF is a way of avoiding these very precepts? Far from it. It is hardly far fetched to aver that what VII had to say about the people actively participating in those parts of the mass that pertain to them applies to every form of the Roman rite. Nowhere is it writ or implied that they apply only to the NO.”

This strikes me as exactly correct. Young Fr Ratzinger noted—in a few well-wrought sentences—that the entire assembled hierarchy of the Church sat placidly during the opening Mass and then, as part of their swearing in to the Council, or whatever the ceremony was called, they were promptly asked to stand and recite the Creed—which had just been recited. They all thought it was odd and so at the concluding Mass of the opening session they all recited the Credo. I actually sat in the pews for the EF on Palm Sunday and discovered that everyone sang the Credo. (I had only been upstairs singing at that parish so this was news.) This was evidently a restoration included in the 1962 rite books but an expert can tell me.

Following Jackson’s perceptive comment, how would that be implemented more broadly? It is generally taken for the OF in any context that I have been in that the congregation should really sing at least part or all of the Credo, the Sanctus, the Amen, the Pater Noster, and the Agnus Dei. The Gloria is often included. (Though all that doesn’t always happen, it need hardly be added.)

How would that work in the EF?

Kenneth
  • SalieriSalieri
  • a_f_hawkins
    When I think of singing in the TLM, it is in terms of my own experience, which was of school Masses 1949-1956, at St Benedict's Ealing (UK). This was the conventual Mass, and the school sang Kyrie, Gloria (if needed), Credo (if needed), Sanctus, Benedictus, and Agnus in the appropriate setting from the Kyriale. Memory fades, I do not recall what the monks sang, though I can picture monastic cantors the sound memory does not come*. I think we sang alternatim with them, certainly that seems to come more naturally to me. And we also chanted the dialogues with the priest. So participation is what I came to expect, except on Sunday when I rarely attended a sung Mass.
    *The beauty of our headmaster's voice I do recall, but the context is the Laudes Regia (Christus vincit) not Mass.
    As the reforms came in, I faithfully followed them. Thus I have subsequently attended far more Orthodox/Byzantine/Greek-Catholic liturgies than EF. But the EF experience was of being told to remain silent, at Corpus Christi, Maiden Lane (London UK) about 30 years ago, after trying it twice I gave up (although the music was pleasant).
  • That’s very helpful. Certainly the EF Masses I attended either I did not know what was happening (because I was in the choir loft, which was a lovely experience) or I have just sat in the pews and sometimes read along. Your childhood experience sounds different and what the Council fathers no doubt had in mind

“The sound memory does not come.” Nice way of putting it

Kenneth
  • madorganist
    Active participation is covered at some length in the Instruction on Sacred Music and Sacred Liturgy De musica sacra et sacra liturgia from 1958, several years before Vatican II, and was even addressed in the 1903 Motu proprio:
    Special efforts are to be made to restore the use of the Gregorian Chant by the people, so that the faithful may again take a more active part in the ecclesiastical offices, as was the case in ancient times.
    I haven't been ANYWHERE in the U.S. where active participation of the faithful in the EF liturgy is anything approaching what is typical in most of Europe, where vernacular hymns and often the Ordinary of the Mass are sung with enthusiasm. The preferred American way of hearing Mass (perhaps that expression says enough!) seems to be to flip pages in one's own lay missal and never open one's mouth in praise of God, and certain congregants are known to give ugly looks to those in the pews who dare to sing audibly. It matters not whether hymnals or printed programs are available or whether a hymn board is on display, and the priests by and large seem to be indifferent in the matter. Such progress we've made in the last 115 years! Articles like this one really don't help matters either.
  • madorganist
    To answer the question posed in the subject line: This is probably as fine (and typical) an example as any:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c32brXXx5k8
  • Where's Julie Coll when we need her to chime in?

Seriously, though, the very participation which Jackson seeks is already a reality within the work of the SSPX, although I imagine that "participation" varies from country to country.

The problem isn't EF vs OF, although, in fairness, if "participation" means what usually happens in the OF, I want none of it.
  • I attended the SSPX mass near DC a couple of times and there were a lot of what everyone had come to view as abuses: people saying the Rosary or other private devotions and not focused on the Sacrifice. (Abuses aside from being disobedient, I mean.). I can’t say I would call that participation. My own experience with properly Catholic Churches is entirely other—during the EF, people are largely silent, but they are focused on the Sacrifice. I was reminded that a doctoral dissertation on music in congregations in the 100 years before VII was published right around the time of the new translation. It might be worth looking at. In view of the sad events of this weekend, it is well to remember that the Church in Ireland was once severely persecuted and their quieter way of doing things had a huge influence here, of course. I have never heard any EF Mass in the US described as anything other than the passive experience I have described and experienced.

Kenneth
  • Drake
    I think that active participation, whether in the OF or EF, consists primarily in offering one’s self in union with the Sacrifice of the Priest-Victim Jesus Christ on the altar. Some are better able to do this by a greater external participation (singing in choir or in the pews is an example); others do so by a more interior participation (meditation, contemplation, awe, etc), though the two are by no means exclusive to one another. Even praying the rosary during Mass is not necessarily not focused on the Sacrifice...the sorrowful mysteries certainly draw the mind in the right direction, for example.

The actions and prayers of the priest are layed out very precisely, especially in the EF, but the actions and prayers of the congregation are much more open, for we are to offer our sacrifices together with The Sacrifice, and *how* we do that is largely a personal choice. Our priests go so far as to tell us that, during the Offertory, we should mentally put our petitions and sacrifices on the host and in the chalice that, when the Father looks down and sees His Son and the Sacrifice of his Son after the Consecration, He will see what we have offered in union with that august Sacrifice with which he is most greatly pleased.

I think it is easy to conflate active participation with external participation. Without the proper interior disposition, the greatest external participation is rather empty. Likewise, without letting the externals of the Mass engage us, do we achieve the internal participation to which we are called?

That last thought is especially germane to sacred music, which ought to be ordered towards lifting the soul to the things of heaven and to the Sacrifice.

Thanked by 1Incardination
  • madorganist
    22. By its very nature, the Mass requires that all present take part in it, each having a particular function.

a) Interior participation is the most important; this consists in paying devout attention, and in lifting up the heart to God in prayer. In this way the faithful “are intimately joined with their High Priest…and together with Him, and through Him offer (the Sacrifice), making themselves one with Him” (Mediator Dei, Nov. 20, 1947: AAS 39 [1947] 552).

b) The participation of the congregation becomes more complete, however, when, in addition to this interior disposition, exterior participation is manifested by external acts, such as bodily position (kneeling, standing, sitting), ceremonial signs, and especially responses, prayers, and singing.

The Supreme Pontiff Pius XII, in his encyclical on the sacred liturgy, Mediator Dei, recommended this form of participation:

Those who are working for the exterior participation of the congregation in the sacred ceremonies are to be warmly commended. This can be accomplished in more than one way. The congregation may answer the words of the priest, as prescribed by the rubrics, or sing hymns appropriate to the different parts of the Mass, or do both. Also, at solemn ceremonies, they may alternate in singing the liturgical chant (AAS 39 [1947] 560)”.

When the papal documents treat of “active participation” they are speaking of this general participation (Mediator Dei: AAS 39 [1947] 530-537).... (De musica sacra)
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • This is all very interesting , and much that is contrary to the way certain supporters of the EF wish to see it done.

Concerning the Rosary, the magisterium of the Bl Pope Paul VI is still binding. There was a lengthy teaching document on sacramentals released by the relevant dicastery under St John Paul II, but it says the same thing:

Fro the Apostolic Exhortation Marialis Cultus: http://w2.vatican.va/content/paul-vi/en/apost_exhortations/documents/hf_p-vi_exh_19740202_marialis-cultus.html

48. Finally, as a result of modern reflection the relationships between the liturgy and the Rosary have been more clearly understood. On the one hand it has been emphasized that the Rosary is, as it were, a branch sprung from the ancient trunk of the Christian liturgy, the Psalter of the Blessed Virgin, whereby the humble were associated in the Church's hymn of praise and universal intercession. On the other hand it has been noted that this development occurred at a time-the last period of the Middle Ages-when the liturgical spirit was in decline and the faithful were turning from the liturgy towards a devotion to Christ's humanity and to the Blessed Virgin Mary, a devotion favoring a certain external sentiment of piety. Not many years ago some people began to express the desire to see the Rosary included among the rites of the liturgy, while other people, anxious to avoid repetition of former pastoral mistakes, unjustifiably disregarded the Rosary. Today the problem can easily be solved in the light of the principles of the Constitution Sacrosanctum concilium. Liturgical celebrations and the pious practice of the Rosary must be neither set in opposition to one another nor considered as being identical.(114) The more an expression of prayer preserves its own true nature and individual characteristics the more fruitful it becomes. Once the pre-eminent value of liturgical rites has been reaffirmed it will not be difficult to appreciate the fact that the Rosary is a practice of piety which easily harmonizes with the liturgy. In fact, like the liturgy, it is of a community nature, draws its inspiration from Sacred Scripture and is oriented towards the mystery of Christ. The commemoration in the liturgy and the contemplative remembrance proper to the Rosary, although existing on essentially different planes of reality, have as their object the same salvific events wrought by Christ. The former presents new, under the veil of signs and operative in a hidden way, the great mysteries of our Redemption. The latter, by means of devout contemplation, recalls these same mysteries to the mind of the person praying and stimulates the will to draw from them the norms of living. Once this substantial difference has been established, it is not difficult to understand that the Rosary is an exercise of piety that draws its motivating force from the liturgy and leads naturally back to it, if practiced in conformity with its original inspiration.; It does not, however, become part of the liturgy. In fact, meditation on the mysteries of the Rosary, by familiaring the hearts and minds of the faithful with the mysteries of Christ, can be an excellent preparation for the creation of those same mysteries in the liturgical action and an also become a continuing echo thereof. However, it is a mistake to recite the Rosary during the celebration of the liturgy, though unfortunately this practice still persists here and there.
    Thanked by 2Drake bhcordova
  • CatherineS
    I am perfectly capable of spending either form of the Mass thinking mostly about lunch.
  • CharlesW
    Active participation in the mass.
    OF: Looking at your phone
    EF: Hurling anathemas at each other.

May sound flippant, but almost too true to be funny.
  • SalieriSalieri
    Thinking about this question of participation, I think that we 'traditional' musicians are much more like Bugnini than we want to admit.

While I don't think that the people should be forbidden from participating vocally in the liturgy, (which sadly happens in some E.F. venues), the truth is that singing isn't everyone's cup of tea, as much as we think it is. To be honest, I think that the E.F., when celebrated well, is more truly pastoral than the O.F., which, to be frank, often comes across as embarrassingly artificial when it comes to participation--like when a production with 'audience participation' designed for pre-school kids is brought in to entertain 6th graders. The E.F., when the people are allowed their proper freedom, without binding them to spurious 'rubrics' invented by the celebrant or his faulty recollections of times past, allows them to participate (actively) in the Sacrifice in any way that helps them, whatever that may be. And this 'old way', seemingly anti-liturgical to our expert minds, must be as old as liturgy itself, look at the East--I'm sure that the babushkas would riot if one day the Patriarch came out from behind the iconostasis and told them that from now on they had to participate as he told them, and not pray at the shrines.

Personally, I have come to grow warry of papal/Roman liturgical pronouncements from the mid 20th century on. And, no, I don't view Pius XII's reign as 'the glory days' of Catholicism, I view them as the beginning of the end; the first real deformation of the liturgy by 'experts'.

I want to let the liturgy live and breathe, but I also want the people to be able to live and breathe, without suffocating them in whatever kind of 'active participation' I deem appropriate: I don't want to be a Bugnini.
  • Useful comments all. It’s true that many do not know how to sing, but it’s also true people aren’t raised singing. On my way to Rome, I worshiped with the Mennonites for a while. They are raised singing 4-part harmony. More to the point, at Latin Novus Ordo at the Cathedral in Washington, people sing freely and openly when they are supposed to.

Regarding the issue of doing private devotions during Mass, there are two points:

1) what is proper discipline? That is determined by the Pope and by one’s Ordinary. One may disagree, but one should consider what they say (by, for instance, reading that quote above with respect, if anyone among our 34 readers skipped it in a spirit of irritability) and abide by binding decisions. The precepts of the Bl Paul VI’s exhortation have only been deepened by further reflection of those in authority. That is binding practice for the Roman Rite.

2) is it possible to concentrate on the Mass and do something else?

As for CharlesW’s entirely apposite remark, the last time I was at an EF, about 1/3 of the people around me were ostensibly using a Missal on their phones. Whether they were up-to-date Traditionalists or people who had been dragged there by their loved ones is between them, God, and whoever could see their screens.

But it is interesting that the “silent” TLM of American (Irish?) Traditionalism is not the universal standard.

Thanks to all.

Kenneth
  • a_f_hawkins
    Marialis Cultus 48. ... However, it is a mistake to recite the Rosary during the celebration of the liturgy, though unfortunately this practice still persists here and there.
    I suspect that what is condemned here is the public recitation of the Rosary under clerical leadership during Mass, which did occur at one time in Ireland.
    The congregational silence was silence in relation to the Mass. In Ireland and England, Rosary, Holy Hour, Benediction, Vespers, were all well attended by a participatory congregation.
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • madorganist: the article you cited as not helping strikes me as Protestantism, pure and simple. It’s worth reading to catch the spirit you mentioned.

Kenneth

http://www.traditioninaction.org/HotTopics/f074_Dialogue_2.htm

Kenneth
  • Clarity on how what the Bl Paul VI meant can be applied is provided by the instruction I linked. I would say that any extra devotions are discouraged, though not banned outright.

Since the archdiocese where I live never suppressed traditional devotions, they are still held and well attended. The Bl Pope Paul VI also spoke harshly of those who wished to get rid of them completely.

Kenneth
  • CCoozeCCooze
    While I would hate to not be allowed to sing along with the Mass Ordinary, given that there are Religious orders who take vows of silence, we can't just assume that silent participation at Mass is/was a "bad" thing.

I was at St. Rita's in Panama City Beach last weekend, and though there were resources galore (huge printed & laminated card with the text of the Gloria, Credo, prayers after Mass, etc.) and frequent announcements of what was about to be sung in their Breaking Bread missal/hymnal, I didn't want to sing along.
    I don't know if that makes me sound snobbish, or care what it may have made others think about my ability or willingness to "participate" (I still quietly spoke my prayers and kept my children in the pew, even though young children were asked to exit to the "children's liturgy" until Communion time).
    That doesn't mean I wasn't participating in/at Mass.

I had wanted to drive the 1.5 hours to the fssp church, and couldn't convince my husband to do so, because it was the day after we drove almost 7 hours to Seacrest Beach.
    I would have been happy to sit quietly, either at a Low Mass, or even hearing a Missa Cantata with an unfamiliar Ordinary.

We all have preferences, of course. But what we are subjected to hearing, whether or not we are capable of audible participation shouldn't be so shockingly different from city to city (this was our third time in a PCB, FL parish in 5-6 years, and the music wasn't much different any of these years, even though this parish used some sort of electronic piano, as opposed to the guitars that were at the other churches).

I really don't think that "Hallelu-hallelu-hallelu-hallelujah" is an appropriate gospel acclamation.
    At our parish Masses when we have Latin Mass, we do include the Alleluia + jubilus in the translation booklet we provide for any who might hear the incipit and wish to sing it through with us. We also usually use a Gregorian Ordinary that can be found in our St. Michael Hymnal.

Some argue that until there are more female servers, there is not active-enough participation allowed/available.

People will always find something to complain about if asked for complaints or are the type to look for options to do so.
    Thanked by 1CatherineS
  • CharlesW
    I'm sure that the babushkas would riot if one day the Patriarch came out from behind the iconostasis and told them that from now on they had to participate as he told them, and not pray at the shrines.

Babushkas have canes. Don't ever mess with them. It is a sure way to get hurt.

I think there is a different "mind-set" from west to east. The west often looks at liturgy as external, as something you do. In the east, liturgy and doctrine are internal to each of us, written on our hearts, and unchangeable. They are not dependent on a structure. If the patriarch tries to teach differently, he will be run out of town.
  • CatherineS
    I find the whole subject fascinating. But I'm wondering if more good could be done by fussing less about what people are doing.

I'm thinking of a couple of scenarios I've encountered:

Basilica of Our Lady of Pilar (or similarly at other Marian shrines) - Endless uncomplicated Masses (OF) at one end; endless people in prayer in the chapel of the Pillar at the other end; 8 confessionals awaiting the faithful, with instructions posted on the wall on how to gain indulgences; hundreds of visitors including tourists, the lame/sick/desperate, pilgrims, young, old, etc. wandering about doing their own thing.

Similar in many ways - A large urban church with Masses (EF) being held throughout the day at the main altar and side altars, with people coming and going, taking advantage of the Mass being offered at the moment, stopping to light candles, praying privately in the pews, side chapels, or before a favorite saint, at least one priest in a confessional pretty much all day. Tourists wandering in and out at times to look at the art and architecture.

There can be an intense combination of private and public act going on in a church.

Even in a context (such as a Mass at a convent) where everyone has the same spiritual formation and is externally acting in union of movement and words and song at all times, they are all having very different interior experiences and spiritual lives. Including some are surely thinking uncharitable thoughts, grumpy, bored, anxious, not paying attention, or thinking about lunch.

Thanked by 2CCooze Incardination
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    My favorite subject of all time! The then-Cardinal Ratzinger insisted that the essential criteria of Sacrosanctum Concilium also apply to the EF, and one of these essential criterion is that the people should learn to say or sing in Latin those parts of the Mass that pertain to them. This is being implemented quite well in Europe, particularly by the French traditionalists who are quite strong. (They just filled Chartres Cathedral with 15,000 people!)

Interestingly enough, the responses that pertain to the faithful in the EF are basically the same in both the EF and the OF: Asperges Me, Kyrie (don't know why Abp. Bugnini reduced this from 9 to 6, but that's a topic for another day), Gloria, Credo, Sanctus, Agnus Dei, as well as all the shorter responses, concluding with the very impressive sung responses to the Ite Missa Est, as well as optional Marian Antiphon, not to mention the possibility of the congregation singing the Introit antiphon and the Communion antiphon, and, of course, the possibility in both forms for the congregation to sing several verses of a vernacular hymn before and after Mass.

So, the opportunities for participation in both forms are essentially the same, and this also includes the opportunities for silence as well, because when people are taught to sing the parts of the Mass that pertain to them, the short periods of silence interspersed throughout the Mass work synergistically to draw into the fullness of the Divine Mysteries.

I think the vibrancy of the French Latin Mass movement, as seen just on Pentecost Monday in the packed Chartres Cathedral for Cardinal Sarah's Solemn High Mass is an example to all in both forms that when the people are taught to sing the Mass, great things happen.
  • dad29
    active participation, whether in the OF or EF, consists primarily in offering one’s self in union with the Sacrifice of the Priest-Victim Jesus Christ on the altar

THIS, which is precisely the formulation used by a liturgical-expert priest friend.
    Thanked by 2Drake Carol
  • dad29
    OF: Looking at your phone

I use two different apps before OF Mass. One which gives the Proper Chants, the other giving me the day's readings through USCC. Have yet to see a missalette OR hardbound hymnal which displays the Proper chants, or even all the Proper texts.
  • dad29
    say or sing in Latin those parts of the Mass that pertain to them.....implemented quite well in Europe, particularly by the French traditionalists

And NOT so by the ICK, at least in their Milwaukee outpost. However, they do other stuff which is a bit........different.......such as inserting a 30-second brass, string, and tymp interlude between the priest's intonation of the Gloria and the choir's 'et in terra pax', etc. completion of the hymn.
    Thanked by 1JulieColl
  • Dad,

I haven't been to Milwaukee, but my parish is ICRSP, and I hope to shed light on the "30 second brass....."

It is part of the charism of the Institute not merely to offer dignified worship to God (and edifying instruction thereby to the faithful) but to offer majestically dignified worship -- and so the brass (or, in my apostolate, a newly refurbished 112 yr old Kimball organ) serves to honor God in an exuberant way. Many people in America (specifically, but not exclusively) don't seem to understand this.

I, for one, am very grateful to the Institute clergy who have served at the apostolate where I attend Mass, sing and play the organ.
  • A vow of silence does not preclude singing the Mass. Indeed, the Carthusians do not have a designated group to sing the chants, but rather, all of the monks sing them.
  • I agree, Catherine: my mind is often very much not where it is supposed to be.

However, we have instruction or assent to that instruction from five Popes now, and it is best that we attend to that in whatever way is in conformity with what our bishop desires. (If any of you were about to type “peace and quiet and money,” I beat you to it.)

That aside: this isfascinating. It means that the TLM movement in this country is very much dominated by one conception of the proper conduct of the Mass. and any who challenge it are frequently subject to wrath that, it turns out, is almost as disobedient as the SSPX. I mean the wrath and the assertion that there is one way to do it. The question then is, how can we make more participatory EF Masses in this country? I find the (congregationally) silent Masses bewildering. But an EF with vocal congregational participation—I could throw myself into making one of those work.
    Kenneth
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • Why did the stubborn shut-lipped 'Irish model' become the default mode for mass in this country? There are/were other groups who had no such aversion to song. The Germans, for one. The Polish for two. And there are others. Where is their influence?

As for the Irish, I think that it is somewhat disingenuous to blame their silence on a cultural domination that ended a century ago. One would have thought that, freed from the bad old English yoke, they would have burst into unsilencable song - an unending Te Deum.

Whoever is to blame for the situation we find ourselves in, they are no longer an excuse. The silence must end. It doesn't glorify God.
  • chonakchonak
    given that there are Religious orders who take vows of silence

That's not really true, is it? I mean, outside of movies and old jokes.
    Thanked by 1madorganist
  • a_f_hawkins
    I think the Irish, and the English, Catholic Church has historically defined itself in contrast to the protestant ascendancy. And that would be true in Boston MA, as much as against what still calls itself the Church of Ireland. Alas for the beautiful language and its musical tradition which we denied ourselves.
  • Hawkins,

To Jackson's point, though, when the Irish dumped their Catholicism in (pick a year), you would, therefore, expect them to want to be more like the (formerly?) oppressive English.
  • a_f_hawkins
    As late as 2002, a referendum to tighten the law on abortion failed by only 49.58% to 50.42%. Ireland at some point since then dumped the Church hierarchy, not a (nominal) catholicism. I could enlarge on the evils wrought up to 1972 by the alliance of Eamon de Valera and John Charles McQuaid, but that would violate the forum rules of decorum.
  • dad29
    The silence must end. It doesn't glorify God.

MJO, we think alike on a number of questions, but on this one, you are presuming to know the mind of God. That's a big step even for the Anglican-Catholics, don'cha think?
  • dad29
    the charism of the Institute not merely to offer dignified worship to God (and edifying instruction thereby to the faithful) but to offer majestically dignified worship

Yes, in their opinion. YMMV.

We did very well here in Milwaukee for about 50 years without the fleets of altar boys, nicely-paid 8-10 member instrumental groups, and sorta-kinda made-up "high" liturgical ceremony.

Cdl. Newman and Mgr Knox spoke ill of 'enthusiasms,' which are really fads. One hopes that ICK is not engaging in those, eh?
  • toddevoss
    Thanks JulieColl. I just watched the mass at Chartres and yes the ordinary responses were sung with volume and gusto by the PIP. I think, in fact, at least one thing V2 envisioned by "active participation" was the "dialogue mass". Which had already been authorized in certain places prior to V2 using what we would now call the traditional latin mass or EF. Which did not require "versus populum" (although it was consistent with it). Interesting that the EF "movement" in Europe is more aligned to PIP joining in singing the ordinary (and other parts).
  • Dad,

"Unfamiliar in America" isn't the same as "fad".

At the Fraternity parish I attended in Sacramento, "fleets" of altar boys were a joy to behold. Long processions of altar boys in front of long lines of clergy are a good thing, in my opinion.

I think your comment is the very first time I've seen a complaint about musicians being paid too much.
  • dad29
    Like I said...your mileage may vary.

We all know that California people have a VERY different idea of 'spending large' than do people in flyover country.

Or to examine it from another perspective, perhaps the REGULAR musicians and choir members should be paid better, eh?
  • Dad,

Although I currently reside in California, I don't think like a person who fits in here.

Sometimes its resources which vary, not mileage.
  • Liam
    Someone coming into Irish Catholic Boston and touting the superiority of an Anglican-inflected choral musical tradition would be confirming existing prejudices against things English and be the trigger for eyerolling "Oh, [here comes/there goes] Himself" remarks.
  • madorganist
    such as inserting a 30-second brass, string, and tymp interlude between the priest's intonation of the Gloria and the choir's 'et in terra pax', etc. completion of the hymn.
    Was this for the Easter Vigil or for some other occasion? Were they simply playing the accompaniment of the words "Gloria in excelsis Deo" in a classical Mass?
  • It's an "interlude", as it were, between the intonation "Gloria in excelsis Deo" and the singing of the rest of this hymn, during the Triduum.
  • madorganist
    There's really nothing novel about that. Richard Terry describes the practice at Westminster in his Catholic Church Music:
    After the Celebrant has intoned Gloria in excelsis Deo the Organist should play as loudly as possible [emphasis in original], until the Sanctuary bells have ceased ringing. Then Choir begins. (142)
  • a_f_hawkins
    The organist would need an assistant, then, to watch the Sanctuary bell ringers. But, yes I have been there. At the the Credo the congregation managed to completely drown out the organ, about the best foretaste of the heavenly banquet I have had.
  • dad29
    Was this for the Easter Vigil or for some other occasion? Were they simply playing the accompaniment of the words "Gloria in excelsis Deo" in a classical Mass?

To Q. 1: Pentecost

To Q. 2: Nope. In fact, the music had no resemblance to the music of the Gloria whether the priest's or the choir's.
  • Incardination
    It means that the TLM movement in this country is very much dominated by one conception of the proper conduct of the Mass... and any who challenge it are frequently subject to ... the wrath and the assertion that there is one way to do it. ... I find the (congregationally) silent Masses bewildering. But an EF with vocal congregational participation—I could throw myself into making one of those work.

How fortunate that you could throw yourself into making one of those work.

I think I shall better be prepared to accept "this is the ONLY way to do X liturgically because this is the desire of the popes" a bit better when ALL of the liturgical precepts are followed... such as primacy of chant, the avoidance of turning the Liturgy into a spectacle, the use of appropriate liturgical music, etc.. When we no longer see the Blessed Sacrament entering the church by drone; when we no longer see liturgical dancing for the procession or during the Mass; when we see (or hear) Catholic doctrine defended and promulgated from the pulpit rather than watered down apologies that go so far as to seem to contradict the teaching of the Church on social and moral issues.

From a different perspective, perhaps it is a bit hypocritical to complain that SOME parishes and SOME people prefer to be less active while saying that we MUST participate because it is the desire of pope X, Y, and Z... all while decrying the "wrath" in certain parishes when someone in the pews decides to sing.

In a very real sense, I don't have a dog in the fight. I'm not promoting silent prayer during Mass any more than I would suggest that the EF requires "participation" (whatever that may mean for a given individual). I AM suggesting that the Faith provides for both Marthas and Marys. That, perhaps, we ought to focus on doing the best that we can as liturgical musicians without passing judgment on what happens in "certain parishes".

I attended an OF Mass a number of years ago. As is my custom in such circumstances, I remained kneeling following the Our Father to continue my reflection on the consecration. One very officious parishioner made a point of jostling me during the exchange of peace - presumably motivated by the fact that for him there was only one way to pray the Mass, presumably motivated by what he saw as my lack of participation. My response to him was a simple, "excuse me, I am praying".

I shouldn't have to defend myself for choosing to pray during Mass ANY MORE than I should have to defend choosing to sing the Ordinary or hymns from the pews.

Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • dad29
    describes the practice at Westminster

Eh, so what? Is the US not allowed to have its own M.O. (assuming of course that it is licit)??

Is Westminster, or Paris, or Vienna, somehow more infused with the Holy Spirit? Can you prove that?

And by the way: is that practice something embraced by the Easterns? If not, why not?
  • madorganist
    @dad29, would you like to describe for us the pre-Vatican II practice of intoning the Gloria on Maundy Thursday and Holy Saturday in the U.S.? Predmore describes the same practice as Rice. Bonus points if you have video links! Easterns generally don't use organ, so I don't understand the point of your question.
  • mmeladirectress
    >>> One very officious parishioner made a point of jostling me during the exchange of peace - presumably motivated by the fact that for him there was only one way to pray the Mass, presumably motivated by what he saw as my lack of participation. My response to him was a simple, "excuse me, I am praying".
    You are an example to me, Incard.
    Thanked by 1Incardination
  • SalieriSalieri
    And is each parish/institute not permitted to establish its own customs, provided they are licit? Intonazioni have and have not been used here and there, in this country and that, in this parish and that, for centuries. There is no right way to do it. In fact, the interlude you've described sounds like the type of thing that happens in O.F. Masses in cathedrals around the world. Perhaps the choice on that particular day was not the best, good taste can't be legislated.

So the ICKSP is more Baroque in its aesthetic than the average 1940s American-Irish FSSP place; whom does it bother? My guess is that you would dislike my (O.F.) parish where there can be as many as 30 Altar Boys at big Masses, and where, despite my personal Mediaevalism, the general aesthetic is VERY Baroque. (More lace, more grace, as they say.)