How to add chironomy markings to Gregorio output?
  • chonakchonak
    This discussion was created from comments split from: Gregorio Web App with GUI - "Illuminare Score Editor".
  • Hi! I'm using http://dev.illuminarepublications.com/gregorio/ to write some gregorian scores and now I need to mark rhythm lines (I attach picture with what I need). How can I do this? In which program? Thank You in advance :)
  • chonakchonak
    I created some similar markings for the brand new songbook Now I Walk in Beauty (CMAA, 2017), which presents material for use by Ward-method teachers. image
    I used the "tikz" graphics package within LaTeX to add the markings, and it required a lot of detailed work.

In that project, I was combining tikz graphics with Lilypond scores; for your purposes, you'd need to install LaTeX and gregorio locally.

Maybe I should hang out a shingle offering design services for this sort of specialized engraving and graphics. :-)
    756 x 343 - 29K
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Beautiful work, Chonak.
  • O, thank you, Chonak... but... you know, I've installed LaTex and Gregorio, but unfortunately it doesn't work. Something is wrong with the program, or maybe this program is too difficult for me :)
    It seems to me I need something easier :)
    But thank you anyway, maybe I'll use it in future.
  • I find i just get my chant, paste it into publisher, and then use the 'shapes' function, choosing either squiggle or curve, to 'draw' on top of the piece of chant. once I am happy with it and it is easy to change if i need to , then just group the shape and the chant together, and they are easy to move around as needed .
    pdf shows roughly what it turns out like, you can vary the thickness and colour of the line, top one is squiggle with my shaky hand and the bottom ones are curve.
    They don't actually signify any real chironomy, I was just messing with the technique.
    Thanked by 1Cecilia27
  • chonakchonak
    Well, LaTeX is a big complicated package with a big learning curve. The only thing that's become easier about the process is that now Gregorio is included in the standard "TeXLive" software installation.

One way you could tackle your task, Cecilia27, is by converting each PDF page to an image file at high resolution -- say 300-600 dots per inch. I would do this with an image editor such as GIMP or Photoshop. Then you could use a digital drawing tablet to manually add your markings. Draw them in a second layer of the image, for convenience in making corrections. Then you can save the image in PNG format (not JPEG because that reduces the quality).

Then you'd use a desktop publishing program to put the page images together into a document.
    Thanked by 1Cecilia27
  • Thank you both! Publisher and drawing tablet are both good ideas, but I don't have publisher on my PC, nor tablet. I've found a plugin Lazy Nezumi https://lazynezumi.com
    to Photoshop and it looks like to be quite good and more suitable for me.

When my work will be finished, I'll show you a result :)
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen