Sing the Mass (Not Hymns AT the Mass)
  • CMAA a nest of antidreyfusard, Franco-apologist monarchists and misfits

Guilty as charged, Richard. On all four counts. But you say it like it's a bad thing. It ain't necessarily so . . .
    Thanked by 2CharlesW Liam
  • CharlesW
    Guilty as charged, Richard. On all four counts. But you say it like it's a bad thing. It ain't necessarily so . . .

Really. Didn't know those potheads could appreciate Franco-apologists. LOL
    Thanked by 1StimsonInRehab
  • Charles, if Jack Kerouac can cheer on Sen. Joseph McCarthy, watching his hearings on TV, whilst smoking marijuana, then there's hope for me yet. (True story.)
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    Good people, on both sides
    Well, you've convinced me. Next time I spot someone marching behind a swastika and chanting I promise to hold back the antifa myself.
    Thanked by 1JL
  • CharlesW
    Maybe they are just unhappy music critics.
    Thanked by 1StimsonInRehab
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Thanks, Francis, for allowing this free-wheeling discussion. Very informative to hear from people in all parts of our great nation. Thanks, Mr. Giffen, for your valuable thoughts on Charlottesville. My family visited a few summers ago and thought it was an especially charming place, and the people just delightful. It just seemed to be the ideal American home town, and we esp. liked it because of its association with The Waltons, one of our favorite shows.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Next time I spot someone marching behind a swastika and chanting I promise to hold back the antifa myself.

Straw men, must we, Mr. Mix? After all, we don't equate upstanding gentlemen like Mr. Giffen with Saul Alinsky.
  • francis
    sure JulieCol

I heavily treasure improvisation... on the organ and on this organ.
  • About singing the Mass and not hymns at Mass (I think that was the original conversation), it would help me greatly if the Mass setting at my church was worth singing. Alas, it's been Mass of Pony for the six years we've been there. And because I respect singing the Mass, I've sung the damned thing for all these years because that's what we do and I have to set an example for my children. And now we are leaving and looking for a new church home. Not the only reason, but it's up there on the list.
    Thanked by 2CharlesW CHGiffen
  • Fidem,

What example, exactly, do you think you're setting for your children?

Stimson,

Around these parts, a swastika appears on the doors of Indian families -- and it's not because they're all supporters of Mr. Hitler's 1000-yr reich.

Richard,

Monarchists or royalists?

Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • What example, exactly...

What example, indeed!
    It doesn't happen very often on this our Forum. But once in a great while one is blind-sided when someone cavalierly tosses in a shamelessly trashy word that doesn't belong here and that I wish I had not read or seen. I wonder if those responsible talk that way around their children, whom they say they are concerned about setting an example for.
    I am not impressed.
    This language does not belong here.
  • chonakchonak
    What? Did someone say the S-word "simulacrum"? I shall have to clutch my pearls in shock.

But sincerely, MJO, I hope you and yours are all safe and well in Houston, and that the dammed waters don't add any more trouble to what you have already gone through.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • CharlesW
    Must have been the "S" word. I can hear the angels in heaven screaming, "No, not that. Holy simulacrum."

We have swastikas in some of the floor tiles in our 1926 building. We are not removing them. It was an ancient Christian symbol despite what Hitler and company did with it. Worse than removing them would be pandering to the ignorance of those who don't know that.

I had been quite unhappy over our previous pastor spending the parish into excessive debt to the tune of $2 million plus. However, it really worked out well. When the new missal translations came out, all the mass settings in our hymnal became obsolete. The free ICEL chants are what we have used since 2011, since we certainly had other things to spend the money on like roof and organ repairs. It was a blessing, really, to not have to use Haugen/Haas/Pony mass settings. No complaints. Sometimes God hides a rose among the trash, and isn't it wonderful when you find it?
  • I am setting the example of not staring blankly into space during the entire Mass, standing up, sitting down, kneeling, going through the motions, and not singing one word. This is the largest parish in my diocese and several hundred people attend every Mass. Most of them don't sing the Mass. Even if all they ever do is Pony, I expect my children to participate. Mass isn't just something you watch passively like a television show.
    Again I emphasize that this is not the first or only reason we are considering another parish. It's not a decision I take lightly, either, and it's definitely too soon to know if we will actually leave. I will say this-most of the people on this forum would probably leave this place too. And last I heard it isn't a crime to go to another church. But I'm sure there are perfect people out there who want me to feel bad about even considering it. And again to those people, you wouldn't survive a week there.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Fidem,

I'm sorry if what I wrote came over too harshly. Let me rephrase. In any situation our behavior is teaching young people and outsiders, whether we want it to or not. If we preach "Don't smoke", but we have a cigarette at our lips as if we were a north-eastern factory, we might teach them "Dad doesn't really mean what he says", but we might also teach, "That stuff caused Dad to lose his ability to act on his word". Clearly the lesson that Dad doesn't mean what he says is a bad one, but Dad's having lost his ability to act on his word is a tragic but valuable one.

If you don't merely stay in the parish but sing the music you clearly dislike (both, apparently for its lack of musical quality and for the sheer repetition for six solid years) are you teaching the children that personal dislike is distinct from moral revulsion --- a good thing to teach, so they don't confuse "I want" with "I have a right to...", or are you trying to teach them that sometimes even in the Church there are many chances to offer up our suffering --- or, perish the thought, that the schlock you're singing is the future of the Church? When, a generation or so ago, the liturgy was reformed to be more "relevant" to modern man, modern man in alarming numbers didn't take the message of the generous action of the Church -- but rather that if the Church could change her liturgy everything else was up for grabs, too.

Reading your response, I get the impression that you thought singing this stuff would teach your children about authentic participation, rather than "going through the motions". I don't know your children, so you will know much better than I whether that will work.

Many years ago an adult challenged me (still a teenager) saying, "If you want to be a professional musician, how dare you criticize the program here?" I was caught speechless, but afterwards I reflected that the answer to that question was, "Precisely because I want to be a professional musician, I can't stand by and let this happen, as if all is well." [I don't even remember what "this" was, but for the purposes of the post, it doesn't matter.]

• francis
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Fidem's lament (not by Byrd) is one of my pet peeves, namely that the editors of our big gun publishers have ignominiously failed to advance worthy Mass settings for decades. Composers of all strypes have to walk a crooked razor's edge what with the options often in opposition to the realization of fine art AND FCAP.
    OCP is, by far, the worst. And what aggravates that paucity is that they've consistently abrogated some of their better composer efforts, from Schiavone's "Holy Family," Proulx's "Responsorial*" and "Oecumenica," Hurd's "Ubi caritas," in order to promote, via monopoly, cubic zirconia such as the Schutte, the Stephen, the most unfortunate "Celtic", the latest DeBruyn debacle (where have you gone, Randy?) and other DODelivery efforts. The use of the now-remangled "Heritage" in Raleigh exacerbates my contention, IMO.
    It is commendable what Fidem is trying to teach her children well (see what I did there?) by exemplifying actuoso participatio. But I feel that's somewhat counter-productive. Now that I'm actively visiting other parish Sunday Masses, I cannot bring myself to sing the unsingable and the unworthy. But that's just me.

*Tho admittedly, Proulx's choral/organ harmonies in this one needed serious revision, which I happily did back in '87.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • francis
    I simply pray the rosary during Mass. Don't support the schlock.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    That's passive aggression, francis. I generally don't practice that. I've kind of thrown a gauntlet at OCP et alia above, and I'll gladly debate any editor anytime about it. But to remain silent while being held hostage by garbage doesn't benefit anyone.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • francis
    held hostage is correct. we have an obligation to attend the mass, but we don't have to support, nor participate in its errors.
  • chonakchonak
    Sometimes I opt out of singing some pieces. Ir might be passive aggression, or it might be passive suffering, or it might be conscientious objection.
  • @Melofluent: Thank you. Again, this is not a decision I make lightly. There is little opportunity for real spiritual growth in this place. I've stayed long after I had valid reason to run fast and far away. The pastor and others allow the management of the parish school to run completely wild, and after years of mistreatment and abuse I finally pulled the kids out of the school. Every plea for help was ignored. The pastor wants nothing to do with what goes on there, and quite honestly I doubt he cares much about anything else. Everything is a rush because there are too many people and too many Masses. Homilies are too "safe", too watered down, and maybe once or twice has one been given that really made me think or challenged me spiritually. No one cares that many women and their daughters show up to Mass wearing mini skirts and other inappropriate clothing. No one cares if you're even at Mass ever. No one cares, it seems, about anything- except money. They like money. And status. And being fake. I cannot in good conscience continue to allow my children to think this is how church is supposed to be. I have no ability to fix the church's dire problems. I'm not rich, I'm not one of the "in" crowd, and-judging by their response to my whistleblowing about the abuses of the school-they definitely wouldn't listen to my concerns about liturgy or anything else.

@M. Jackson Osborn: Because I respect you and admire your thoughtful contributions to this forum, I offer a personal apology for my colorful language. I take these issues seriously and perhaps passion gets the best of all of us when we are under stress.