Your Least Favourite Composers
  • francis
    Beethoven and Brahms both were not lacking in this area.

his greatest? (well, most famous anyway)

...- (i)
    ...- (V)
    ...-...-...- (i)
    ...-...-...- (V)
    ...-...- (i) (V)
    ...-...- (i) (V)
    ...- - - (i) (VI) (V)

. . . - (lets introduce this all over again starting with ii dim)

Haydn is more detached from the romantic influence as was mentioned earlier.

Pachelbel is highly underrated.
    Thanked by 1Casavant Organist
  • Kevin814
    A lot of the criticisms of Mozart on this thread I find to be true moreso of his piano works than of his chamber music. I do enjoy his string quintets, and the clarinet quintet is a gem. And the slow movement of his clarinet concerto gets me every time.

As for Ligeti...I get that a lot of what he did was groundbreaking, and is very interesting from a theoretical perspective. Still, listening to any of his pieces is an excruciating experience for me.
    Thanked by 1Kathy
  • francis
    i enjoy playing Mozart piano works, but listening to them is an entirely
    different matter. go figure. that's just the way it is.
  • NihilNominisNihilNominis
    I am about to reveal one of the stunning weaknesses of my musicianship, namely, the inability to convey theoretical ideas with anything approaching technical language or scholarly precision. That said, here's my take on the Mozart bashing:

I think, in part thanks (weirdly) to the minimalist avant-garde and also neo-tonality, we are past the point (thankfully) in which a composer's harmonic ideas can seriously be considered the totality of what his music is "saying".

When harmony perhaps seemed a limitless pool from which new ideas, more advanced and daring modulations and connections were being drawn by the decade, perhaps saying, "Well, that piece was really just I-IV-V-I-vi-IV-V-I" offered a useful perspective in helping professional composers to work out more and more harmonic possibilities. But that approach, after decades of fruitful yield, finally exhausted itself in the abyss of atonality. While the ideas leading up to that point are not invalidated by the dead end of tonal harmony, I think it is probably time to view tonal harmony not so much as an outlet of creative innovation, but as a rather well-developed palette of colors from which to draw desired effects.

Thus, rather than simply critiquing a composer for using a limited harmonic palette, we should instead ask whether he uses that palette effectively. Or indeed, whether there isn't a certain beauty of concision and simplicity in a limited vocabulary that would be spoiled by the more complex vocabulary.

Think of what Poston is able to achieve without a single accidental. Romantic chromaticism would wreck "Jesus Christ the Apple Tree." I think it would also wreck Mozart's charm.
  • Jeffrey Quick
    I wouldn't call Mozart a church music composer in any form. That Coronation Mass, much beloved by local traddies, is a concert piece that belongs on a stage. Likewise, that dreaded Mozart, Alleluia (Exsultate, jubilate K.165). I have nightmares of screeching sopranos warbling and wobbling around while singing that piece.

Here's the problem: it's not up to you. THE CHURCH has been using those pieces continuously. It hasn't seen fit to ban orchestral Masses, and certainly not nice little motets like the Mozart Ave verum. There are questions of taste and appropriateness involved; I wouldn't program the two works you cited (even if I had the forces) for reasons of timing, but not everywhere runs such a tight ship timewise. I've done the Ave Verum Montani-style, because so abused it's still better than much of what we can do.

OK, I'm going to say it, right here on CMAA property (Heir to the Caecilia Society): Caecilianism is musical Jansenism. It implies that certain musical techniques (admittedly good in themselves in the concert hall) are bad in themselves, which is different than eschewing a good technique for a higher good.

(Stick? Check. Marshmallows? Check. Graham crackers, chocolate? Let the flames begin.)
  • Jeffrey Quick
    Simple and elegant is hard. Elizabeth Poston was a one-hit wonder. So, really, was Paul Manz (and that one hit is one we love in spite of itself). At some point, there's this inspiration thing that happens or doesn't, and it's out of our control as composers; we make the thing as well as we can, and it either has or hasn't that je ne sais quoi.
    Thanked by 1MarkS
  • francis
    JQ and others un named

No one said anything about Mozart being a BAD composer. I just don't like to listen to his music. Nor Beethoven (except this very cool fugue https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6s0Mp7LFI-k) and I don't care to listen to much of the music after the Baroque save a few.

Most of the world does, such as yourself and many others. Some people don't like to listen to Bach. Do we bash them? Do we call them names (such as adolescents?) Do we chide them for being blind? No, we let them express their opinion of their least favorite composer. So what gives? Why is it that when some of us express our opinions of our least favorite composer, we get put in musical jail? Grow up yall! This is an intellectual discussion. Not a mud fight!

You might ask YOURSELF the question: "Gee, a lot of people don't like Mozart. I wonder why?"

And then let's get onto the other part of this discussion. What music is appropriate for a liturgy? The Church has taught on this for centuries. If we would just kindly pick up the book and read about it, we might realize what is and what isn't appropriate.

Here's the problem: it's not up to you... etc.

Actually, this paragraph is not very accurate IMHO. Many popes have spoken about the confusion of allowing non sacred music into the sanctuary. It is not about a ban. It is about educating ourselves on the matter more than anything else and then getting with the program as the Church would like it to be implemented.

Recommended Reading:

The Papal Legislation on Sacred Music.
    Thanked by 2TCJ Vilyanor
  • melofluentmelofluent
    that one hit is one we love in spite of itself

Call me Didymus as well on this one, JQ. Its invention (or convention) can be as tedious as the Thompson "Alleluia."
    Thanked by 1Jeffrey Quick
  • Liam
    Mozart's genius was more opera and vocal/instrumental ensembles - he certainly had mastery of intense counterpoint and complex harmonies, but the demands of his patrons and times were such that what he did more was show how music could be sophisticated without heavy reliance on those. If you're not an ensemble musician at heart, the joys of Mozart would more likely be lost on you. Had JS Bach been born when and where Mozart was born, we would not have likely have received the gifts JS Bach gave us. The birth lottery should not be ignored entirely.

If we could pipe the music of FJ Haydn into the trading areas of securities/commodities exchanges and firms during trading hours, I suspect we might see just a tad bit more sanity therein.
  • CharlesW

Here's the problem: it's not up to you. THE CHURCH has been using those pieces continuously. It hasn't seen fit to ban orchestral Masses, and certainly not nice little motets like the Mozart Ave verum.

Actually, in my parish where I am DM, it is up to me. However, the CHURCH is notoriously fickle and hypocritical. It has decreed appropriate music for centuries, it just doesn't follow its own rules. The Ave Verum I can live with.
    Simple and elegant is hard. Elizabeth Poston was a one-hit wonder. So, really, was Paul Manz (and that one hit is one we love in spite of itself). At some point, there's this inspiration thing that happens or doesn't, and it's out of our control as composers; we make the thing as well as we can, and it either has or hasn't that je ne sais quoi.

I think being a one-hit wonder in the 20th Century choral music with a broad and often lay audience is perhaps comparably significant to having been a widely-sung choral composer in previous epochs.

Writing a serious tune for church choir that will achieve broad recognition even from people outside the choral world without relying on the sort of gimmicks and tricks that will lose you respect within the choral world or diminish the gravity of your music is harder every day. That she did it once is a testament to her sense of beauty, craftsmanship, and universality in musical expression.

For all its simplicity, Poston's hit is a piece of stunning and enduring beauty. I'm getting chills just reading the score as I type this.
    Thanked by 2Liam CHGiffen
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    ...we get put in musical jail? Grow up yall!
    Seriously? The political correctness card?

It's not easy to confess one's own blind spots without it sounding like bragging, and anyway I doubt I could bring it off as entertainingly as Glen Gould.

It's trickier still when one brings in suitability for worship. The disingenuous objections sometimes raised against Mendelssohn's wedding march seem to be a disguising of taste or maybe lack thereof.

• I do enjoy select movements from Mendelssohn's "Christus" at Christmas.
  • I enjoy playing Mozart's piano works....

Who would have thought so?
    How interesting.

Actually, that's the way I feel about Messiaen.
    I don't too much enjoy hearing most of his music.
    I detest learning it.
    But once I've learnt it I truly enjoy playing it.

(Of course, no one can accuse Messiaen of being I-IV-V-I, etc. But then, that can't truthfully and seriously be said of Mozart, either. It's all in one's focus.)
  • SalieriSalieri
    Sorry to continue the Mozart pile-on, but I have to get this out of my system:

I think the biggest issue with criticizing MOZART is the overly reverential attitude toward Him and His music. To say the one dislike any work of MOZART is deemed to be blasphemy of the highest order. If someone says that they don't particularly like certain (or even all) works of Beethoven, or Bach, or Vivaldi, or Schutz, or Haydn, or Schubert, or Mendelssohn, or Stainer, or Vaughan Williams, or any other composer that ever set pen to paper, no one seems to care: after all, everyone is entitled to their own opinion and taste. But to say that one dislikes even a single bar of MOZART automatically elicits the response that one must be jealous of His talent, or a philistine, or any other silly response. MOZART is treated with greater reverence by many than the God that created Him.

Also: just as an example of the boringness I find in Mozart: look at the first movement of the Sinfonia Concertante for Violin and Viola, KV. 364 (composed in 1779). The first four minutes are quite possibly some of the most boring music I've ever heard: four dreadful minutes of suspensions, roulades, arpegios, tremolos, trills, and Manheim rockets, most of it over either an E-flat or B-flat pedal-point. The music doesn't seem to go anywhere until he hits a theme at around 4 mins, (the tune "ba-dah, ba-dah, ba-dum-dum-dah," that everyone seems to remember) a good theme, and then he does next to nothing with it before going into more dreadful coloratura, and it goes on like this for 14 minutes (just the first movement). And this is supposed to be a masterpiece! Why? Because it says MOZART on the title.

I'm sure that if you found an obscure piece by Mozart and put, say, Eybler's name on it and showed it to a musician, and asked their opinion, they'd probably (figuratively) tear it to shreds and explain why Eybler wasn't a good composer; and vice versa: take a piece by Eybler, and put Mozart's name on it, and the same person will praise it for its originality, vitality, charm, forward-looking-ness, and any other epithet that is usually showered upon the almighty MOZART.

Meanwhile, the early Missa Brevis in G, KV. 49 (composed in 1768), is a concise work for chorus, soloists, and string orchestra. It is a juvenile work, but shows promise of things that will come later in mature works like the Great c-minor Mass of 1783, and the Requiem, (like the Mendelssohn String Symphonies) and has some nice figures (like the ending of the Hosanna sections), and the Agnus Dei reminds me a bit of the Agnus from the Schubert G Major Mass. He gets to where he needs to go with seemingly minimal effort, as opposed to the Sinf. Conc. where it take for ever just to get going, and the whole Mass is over in just about 18 minutes.
  • francis
    o man... don't get me started
    on Mendelssohn

or Franck

or (name well loved composer born after Baroque era
    here)

wow RM... I didn't know Gould had a thing for Mozart.
  • dad29
    I do like Verklarte Nacht.

Friede auf Erden is very good stuff, too. What's fun is the leitmotif consisting of the first two notes of "Credo in unum Deum" and then their augmentation--identical to Beethoven's "Credo" intonation from the Solemnis.

Damned difficult to sing, though. See: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htD1Oyxsct0

They do a good job.
    Thanked by 1Jeffrey Quick
  • vansensei
    The Requiem is one of the maybe five orchestral Masses I'd ever want played in church. The others are the Schubert Mass in G and any non-flashy, non-warbly Missa Brevis settings.
  • KyleM18
    Is it bad that I just want to do what is liturgically appropriate? Festive stuff on festive times, penitential stuff on penitential times, a mix of old and new music? Personally, I prefer the english school of music to the german and viennese, but I could see the use of all.

I'm a high school student, so excuse my lack of taste, but I personally find some Palestrina to be as bland as some Schubert, or some Bach to be as overly exuberant as some Mozart. I live in a musical deficit of a diocese, so I have never heard an organ pre- or postlude played from classical literature (outside of HYMN TO JOY and a simplified Jesu, Joy of man's desire), so in all honesty, anything sounds better than what we have. (I don't know about the EF parish, I'm only concerning the OF.)

Now, a question from an organ student: Do some songs sound worse on a German organ than a French, and that is why they are disliked?
    Mendelssohn is wonderful. Especially his organ music. For me, he blends the colour and expression of Romanticism with the economy of the Classical style and the attention to complex structure & thought-out inner voices of the Baroque.

Is he perfect? No. But does he point towards perfection, moderating the excesses of each style and bringing out its strengths? Yes, I think so.

This, for instance

Or, if you walk a bit slower (not that the instruments are at all comparable...):

This one

And how can an early-music partisan fail to find him a friend in this?

Herr, sei gnädig
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    Well, Salieri, if it makes you feel any better I'd be just as likely to write you off for not loving every bar of Schubert or Schuetz either ;-)

My own hang up has been a certain anglophobia, not applicable to honorary Germans like Elgar or Stanford but making learning an appreciation of Ch. Wood a growth experience. Now I can even find it in me to forgive Stainer's setting the words "There in glory, here in a basement". It does worry me still that I can't see the superiority of Vaughn-Williams' "O taste and see" to Sulivan's.
  • Scott_WScott_W
    Tchaikovsky, Carl Orff, and Leonard Bernstein.

The noisemakers of the early-mid 20th century and the guys who wrote the ditties that cling to modern hymnals like a toenail fungus I won't call composers.
  • vansensei
    I love, love, love Bernstein. "Chichester Psalms" is one of my favorite choral-orchestral works of all time. The third movement has quite possibly some of the most beautiful choral writing I've ever heard. His I Hate Music song cycle for solo soprano is hilarious.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    I live in a musical deficit of a diocese

Are you speaking of San Diego?
  • Jeffrey Quick
    Melo
    [Manz'] invention (or convention) can be as tedious as the Thompson "Alleluia."

The invention is actually stronger than the craft. Wild ranges, awkward text ("that we might sav-ed be"? Really Ruth?) cookie-cutter form. But somehow the thing still works for me. With Thompson, I have the opposite feeling: much craft, not a lot to say with it.
  • Oft has it been said, and oft repeated not far above here, that Vivaldi wrote the same concerto a thousand times.

How thankful I am that a certain Gershwin fellow only wrote his Rhapsody in Blue once - in fact, I wish he hadn't written it at all.
  • ClemensRomanusClemensRomanus
    Gershwin!
  • francis
    now GERSHWIN i like!
  • I have no single least favorite composer, though I think the ones I generally think least favorite are those that seem to have some real talent and misused it.

On composers that are good for one thing and perhaps terrible for another, I think the composition of John Williams (of Hollywood blockbuster scores) is mostly excellent, but I don't think his other composing (such as for the Olympics) is very good. I have often wondered what would happen if he tried to write a mass, or perhaps he did and wisely left it unpublished.
  • Stella611
    As far as sacred music composers of the Renaissance, I really have found I don't care for Aichinger.
    Lasso's music is so-so.

I also sadly, can't say I am a fan of Kevin Allen's choral music, but mostly from the perspective that even for a decently skilled volunteer choir like mine, each year to pick up a previously learned piece of his, you feel like you have to start all over again at square one. (Sorry!)

I agree that M. Lauridsen's music ends up sounding all the same, and doesn't strike me as music that should be used for the mass/liturgy. Just for concerts.

Most of Hassler's choral music I haven't really found much use for either.

I will say on the flip side, that I HAVE discovered a love for Anerio's choral music, as well as Lotti motets. We do a lot of Victoria, Palestrina, Croce, and Ravanello music here. Croce and Ravanello pieces have worked well when we have been shorter on time to learn larger, more complicated pieces, esp. in the spring.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Okay, I'm mildly surprised that no one's mentioned the scoundrel Gesualdo the Obtuse. But I wonder if Carlo didn't breathe, would Luzzachi have come along?
  • StimsonInRehabStimsonInRehab
    Yeah, Where's Gesualdo? (See if you can spot him. Before the Carabinieri get ahold of him!)
  • Jeffrey Quick
    Well, Melo, since Luzzaschi got his first organ gig when Gesualdo was a year of age, in a literal sense, certainly.
  • ViolaViola
    Hindemith.
    Even the right notes sound wrong
  • Liam
    Speaking of Hindemith, here's Leonard Bernstein making his case for him:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOtR9GcLirI

We could do much worse than revive high middlebrow culture....
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    I'm older than nearly all of you ... and I have always enjoyed Hindemith. As an oboist, I greatly enjoy his oboe sonata. And "Mathis, der Maler" (Matthias, the Painter) is quite an operatic undertaking ... the Symphony "Mathis, der Maler" being a fabulous orchestral work:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsHGntqx5Yw
  • ClemensRomanusClemensRomanus
    I agree. Hindemith rules!
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Even the right notes sound wrong.

An interesting assertion. I've noticed in learning music such as Hindemith's or Messiaen's that, even though it's really devilish to get one's intellect to apprehend or become accustomed to the particular harmonic vocabulary, one can, after a while, recognise right readily a 'wrong note' and can't tolerate it.

There is one chord, and one only, in Messiaen's Transports de joie, that is actually written as an A-Major 6-3 chord and sounds as one. What an anomaly this is in music in which there is not one chord or note that hasn't been enharmonically altered, that was implied by its predecessor or predicts its successor! Yet, one knows immediately if a note is 'right' or 'wrong'. Fascinating!
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • ghmus7
    I cannot believe that any human person calling themselves a musician would criticize Mozart.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Well, Melo, since Luzzaschi got his first organ gig when Gesualdo was a year of age,

Darn you Quick! I dunna check every tought I hab widda Google before I-uh post eet.
  • Kathy
    I cannot believe that any human person calling themselves a musician would criticize Mozart.

This is a thread about taste rather than quality.

I don't think any human or angel would question Mozart's ability as a composer or the lasting importance of his music.

What happened to me was everytime I listened to Mozart I felt irritated, so I tried to find out why, and it turned out that he repeats himself a lot, and his melodic lines are short.
  • ,,,taste rather than quality.

I, for one, would have difficulty assigning these to different, or opposing, categories.
    One, it seems to me, implies the other.

(Unless one is one of those annoying sophomoric types who likes to drag that haggard old de gustibus shiboleth around and toss it in here and there and everywhere.)
  • CharlesW
    I have noted earlier that I like Mozart's late-in-life compositions far more than his earlier works. However, Mozart essentially did not write for the organ. His choral works were written for the stage, not church, with a few exceptions. Mozart has his time and place, but Sunday Mass is not the time or place for most of his works. I suppose one could try to fit excerpts from "Figaro" in after the offertory. That might not turn out so well, given that the NO seems so condensed time wise. Even any kind of lengthy anthem often has the priest glowering at you from behind the altar, wanting you as a musician to move things along more quickly.

As a DM/organist, I find I don't have time to listen to music other than what I am working on for the next set of masses. There's a lot of music out there that I don't hear unless I actively seek it out. It is not so much a matter of not liking specific composers but that if I can't use it, it falls through the cracks and I don't hear it.
  • francis
    not only mozart, but beethoven too! call me whatever you like... others have here. have at it. just take note... A LOT of people don't like mozart.
  • Liam
    A LOT of people don't like chant, either. (I am not one of them.)
  • Kathy
    M. Jackson,

Regarding all the arts I have different thoughts about both objective quality and my own personal enjoyment.

I like Austen rather more than she deserves, Melville rather less.

Hopkins rather more, Whitman possibly less.

Art appeals differenly to different minds. I don't think admitting this is adolescent, but mature.

• francis
    yes, but chant is the number one, highly endorsed, time tested, liturgically appropriate, patristcally preferred, official music of the liturgy. so if you are choosing Mozart (or other opera composers) over GC because of personal taste, well... i imagine you get my drift. Palestrina is a much better composer IMHO when it comes to polophony, and there are hundreds of composers who are masters of church polyphony that are far better and more appropriate.

but then again, this thread is about least favorite composers... so that subject should conjure another thread i suppose.
  • francis
    Art appeals differenly to different minds. I don't think admitting this is adolescent, but mature.