Starting to sing propers at mass
  • Liam
    "We have been told not to do the Gloria if it is spoken. It must be sung."

Well, that's a new one to my ears/eyes! Is that "rule" used more to make it sung, or to omit it (could be read either way). Seems to confuse the Gloria with the Gospel Acclamation...
  • Andrew_Malton
    Charles, does that mean you must omit it when you cannot sing it? Or that you must sing it and may not omit it?

Or perhaps when you speak the Gloria you must also omit it, although that might be tricky.
  • CharlesW
    We must sing it and may not omit it. I'm OK with that!
  • ClergetKubiszClergetKubisz
    Of all the texts of the Mass, the Gloria is the one that should be sung whenever possible. What irritates me is when it is entirely possible, and it is intentionally recited (everything else is sung: Sanctus, Agnus Dei, etc, even hymns). This happens frequently where I am from, even on Sundays.
    Thanked by 1StimsonInRehab
  • matthewjmatthewj

We have been told not to do the Gloria if it is spoken. It must be sung.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pocYtSWoJgM
  • CharlesW
    Someone is showing their Haas on this one. LOL.
    Thanked by 1Casavant Organist
  • CharlesW
    Seriously folks, I am a bit surprised that anyone doesn't sing the Gloria. Singing it has been our practice for at least the last 50 years.
  • kevinfkevinf
    Laugh as you may, but there are many parishes in Louisville that do not sing it after Trinity Sunday until maybe September or even picking it up again at Christmas. The rational is the use of "progressive solemnity", that is to say that the Gloria denotes a special season for singing. Other times, either say it or even worse, just omit it. This is encouraged by the diocesan worship office and given support by many of the presbyters.

Oy vey....
    Yes, Kevin, that's kind of the idea around here as well. The reason given for not singing the Gloria last summer was "so the people can learn the words." Of course, they'd learn it better if they were singing it, but that's what we were told.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • CharlesW
    This is encouraged by the diocesan worship office and given support by many of the presbyters.

This is a surprising. The bishop there was with us for a number of years, and that wasn't his practice when he was here. However, East Tennesseans are a contrary and individualistic lot. We do as we do and have done, and those who wish to do otherwise are encouraged to go elsewhere. We are not changing. Still...surprising.
  • BruceL
    Spoken Gloria in the Summer must have been something they suggested in the 60's in seminary. The priests I knew of that generation all wanted to do that back in WV.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • MatthewRoth
    His Grace left many members of his predecessor’s staff in place.

I cannot remember the Gloria when it is recited in English to save my life. I know it better recited in Latin...
    Thanked by 1ClergetKubisz
  • CharlesW
    I haven't heard it recited except at a school mass some years ago.

His Grace left many members of his predecessor’s staff in place.

Huge mistake, given his somewhat notorious predecessor.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    The rational is the use of "progressive solemnity"

I'm sure you know this, but just for the record:
    THAT'S NOT WHAT THAT PHRASE MEANS.
  • DougS
    This is encouraged by the diocesan worship office and given support by many of the presbyters.

This is a surprising. The bishop there was with us for a number of years, and that wasn't his practice when he was here. However, East Tennesseans are a contrary and individualistic lot. We do as we do and have done, and those who wish to do otherwise are encouraged to go elsewhere. We are not changing. Still...surprising.

Surprising because it is false. The worship office specifically instructs directors/priests NOT to omit the Gloria.
    Thanked by 2CharlesW CHGiffen
  • francis
    matthewj

you are being a smart Hass.
  • kevinfkevinf
    @Adam...rationale. Sorry...I had not had my morning bourbon yet.

@DougS...I can name 10 parishes that omit the Gloria in the summer. And yes, with the change of your wife as liturgy director, I would hope that has changed.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    @Adam...rationale. Sorry...I had not had my morning bourbon yet.

I was not commenting on your spelling.
    The PHRASE I was referring to is "progressive solemnity."
    Thanked by 1CCooze
  • CharlesW
    DougS, thanks. I thought that sounded a bit out of character.
  • kevinfkevinf
    The PHRASE I was referring to is "progressive solemnity.

I don't disagree. But that is how it is used here.

I restate...oy vey.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen eft94530
  • As I have mentioned before, in the summer, Father omits completely the Gloria on Sundays, and the summer is always Ordinary time so it should at least be recited...
    Preferably chanted or sung.

I try to argue that that can be more efficient than those contemporary metrical settings, but he thinks "you make the mass as short as possible and more will come because they don't seem to be 'wasting' as much time".

I know.
    "you make the mass as short as possible and more will come because they don't seem to be 'wasting' as much time".

This is a great example of secularism.
  • You could almost consider some elements of my parish secular in their entireties.
  • doneill
    I want to clarify my "festive Gloria" comment earlier. Of course pieces like the Ambrosian Gloria can be festive, and I have participated in that with great zeal! In the context, I was referring to people's perception, which is a consideration. Like it or not, we have to deal with the common perception of "major key = joyful," etc. Regarding Deacon Bauerschmidt's comment about the reaction to that "liturgical burnout" being the recitation of the Gloria - that was the wrong solution. What we needed instead were vernacular antiphons for the Introit that put less burden on the congregation. We are now blessed to have many options in that regard, but then have to overcome the practice and associations of the last 50 years. That's not easy.
  • Reval
    Spoken Gloria in the Summer must have been something they suggested in the 60's in seminary. The priests I knew of that generation all wanted to do that back in WV.

Could it be because... wait for it... the choir isn't there in the summer?
    Thanked by 1eft94530
  • StimsonInRehabStimsonInRehab
    The reason given for not singing the Gloria last summer was "so the people can learn the words." Of course, they'd learn it better if they were singing it

Bingo. Back when I "reverted", the prayers I learnt fastest were the ones I sang. It really helps muscle memory to engage different faculties at the same time. That's not a scientific statement at all, but that's the best way I can describe it.
    Thanked by 3CharlesW Elmar eft94530
  • MatthewRoth
    I agree with Stimson. It helps to have a musical rhythm into which the words fit. It’s why I recall the Marian antiphons of Lent and Advent after one or two attempts at the seasonal changes, and I think once learned, most people don’t forget the other two.

Yes, Charles, leaving old people on in Louisville was a mistake.

I’m thankful some of this weird stuff is news to me...
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • I am happy to live in ignorance to some of these practices such as omitting the Gloria.
    Thanked by 2BruceL CCooze
  • chonakchonak
    Let's get back on the initial topic. Noeisdas started the discussion with this question:
    If we were to start with singing one of the propers at mass, which would be the most important?

Are there any more comments on this question?
  • MatthewRoth
    I was going to say that singing the Gregorian Introit is better than a hymn alone or a hymn and vernacular chant in setting the tone. Vernacular chants which avoid perceived burnout were mentio above. Ergo, no one will think to omit or recite the Gloria. How one gets to singing the Latin is another question.

I think you have to start with the Communion because virtually no resistance will be had. You can probably also move to the Offertory. But to ensure that more of the Mass is sung, perhaps adding the Introit might be better.
  • BruceL
    This omitting the Gloria thing just shows how Calvinist we really are in this country. Disgusting!
  • doneill
    I was going to say that singing the Gregorian Introit is better than a hymn alone or a hymn and vernacular chant in setting the tone.

For the record, I concur!
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Let's get back on the initial topic.

In the "stuffed Mass" modem, start with the Communio.
    *There is in common usage "meantime" between the "Non dignus..." and the congregational distribution. The quire ought to accompany that with the appropriate Proper. Then they can communicate as the hymn is taken up by the organ/cantor/whomever.
    *If there is no distinctive environment for a protracted procession or a circumambulated one, the Introit/hymn combination isn't uniformly configured, and one of those items will interrupt flow.
    *Given the "realpolitick" of the modern Offertory (hymn of the day, other hymn/song, choral offertory, organ, Offertorio...) the use of the Proper can be mitigated according to a perceived demand by TPTB. Yes I know, sing the Mass, but we're discussing options.
    Thanked by 1Salieri
  • Should the propers be sung with the men, women or just a cantor? Is a cantor acceptable for something like this?
    I've seen it done all three ways, and also a fourth way: mixed schola (IS OUTRAGE!!!). Yes, cantor alone is an acceptable way for singing the proper: I do this frequently if the choir is not present for Mass. Consider this: the Responsorial Psalm is technically proper text, and a cantor usually intones that by himself, so cantors are already singing propers.
  • francis
    it is quite proper for a single cantor or choir to sing the proper. i am not sure there is an unproper way to sing it...
  • CharlesW
    I use both choir and/or cantors to sing them, depending on the mass. I only have the choir present for one Sunday mass, so I have cantors for the others.
  • Jeffrey Quick

Hmm. They speak the Gloria at my geographical parish, established after people came up from the South to work in the Ravenna Arsenal during WWII. Maybe that's where the tradition came from.
  • Ted
    I would suggest introducing all the propers at once, but sung to a simple Gregorian psalm tone. That will get the faithful used to having Biblical texts sung at the Mass by the choir.

Gradually, they can be sung to more ornate melodies such as SEP, eventually even replacing the opening hymn they are probably used to. Perhaps you should aim for using the Graduale Romanum after a few years, in which the people can sing the psalm verse in English. But this takes time, a lot of it, or you risk ruffling feathers.

As for the Gloria, I was travelling this past Christmas and found myself at a very affluent Catholic church in Florida on Christmas morning. They did indeed sing the Gloria, but not the one in the Missal. They sang the English version of the French carol "Les Anges dans nos Campagnes" instead. Because it is a booming burb parish I doubt the bishop would intervene.
  • CharlesW
    I am all for singing Propers and think it is a great thing to do. But those hymns are not going anywhere.
  • doneill
    I used to think that having mixed men and women singing chant would cloud the texture, but I have since been convinced otherwise. The Madeleine Choir in Salt Lake routinely sings the Introit in octaves, and it works. I would still have a cantor or either men or women (or children) sing the psalm verse, for some contrast. Besides, many of us take what we can get - the most important thing is to have a group of proficient readers.
  • Ted
    CharlesW:
    After a few years of introducing the Propers (in Latin) we no longer sing an opening hymn, but use the introit from the GR for the opening procession. Despite praising the Trinity as redundant according to the professional liturgists, the people join in the introit by singing the Gloria Patri in Latin. The Offertory and Communion are also from the GR, but we will sing the Offertory from the SEP when there is no incense used. (Yes people complain about incense and we grant them their wish every few weeks.)
  • CharlesW
    I have found the problem with incense is Roman incense. It smells like burning rubber. When our associate pastor changed to a quality eastern incense, the complaints disappeared.

Difference in place, I suppose, but that wouldn't work for us. I don't use the GR but sing the Missal Propers. We have some seasonal Latin, but year round might just get Latin cancelled for the seasons when we do sing it. I don't want to provoke a backlash and the support for more Latin just isn't there. Traditional hymns are heavily supported by both congregation and clergy, so they are not going anywhere. They love those powerful Anglican-style hymns. I have to use Propers along with hymns, not in place of them. BTW, I have been in this position for 17 years following this approach. Pushing for too much more would put me in the ranks of the unemployed, I'm afraid - or at least provoke issues I don't have time to deal with. Not worth it.
  • If we didn't have an opening hymn, nobody would come and our parish would die. Plus, Father walks so fast that there is no time to even sing 2 verses of the hymn, and he doesn't like it when we keep going and he is already at the chair.

But we could do one verse of the hymn and the introit, but it would need to be short...
    Maybe just during Lent or something we could have no opening hymn and just the introit.
  • CharlesW
    My pastor likes those hymns and he loves it when I crank up the mighty Schantz on the last verse. No problems there.
  • Chonak, Noeisdas,

If I understand the regulations and the spirit of the liturgy they intend to enflesh, the propers should be added after the ordinary and the dialogue are already being sung. In the interim, as I understand it, the choir can sing those parts which the congregation isn't expected to be able to learn that morning.

This brings to mind perhaps the most important observation I think I've ever read about the public worship of the Church: the priests (and bishops, and laity) are servants of the liturgy, not its masters. They don't get to remake it in their own image.

• @Chris
    Yes, well they are servants, and I think that they can forget that sometimes, as those who provide contemporary (Schutte, DeBryun, etc.) music for worship. Being a servant of the liturgy means providing what was written in documents. They sometimes don't do that.
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    If the deciding factor for whether your parishioners come to Mass at your parish is whether or not an entrance hymn is sung, then they're not really committed to your parish in anything but a superficial way.

That said, hymn tune introits!
  • Liam
    "If the deciding factor for whether your parishioners come to Mass at your parish is whether or not an entrance hymn is sung, then they're not really committed to your parish in anything but a superficial way."

A pastor with an eye on the collection plate might interpret it differently....
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    He very well might. But, seriously, if everything else stayed exactly the same while a metrical and/or non-modal version of the entrance text was sung, would people really stampede for the doors? I'm not so sure.
    Thanked by 1eft94530