Bizarre claims by those who dislike sacred music
  • eft94530eft94530
    So which ones are you going to choose for the Memorial Day Parish Picnic?
  • Andrew_Malton
    Now I have "Mighty Lord" stuck in my head, thanks. Oh man, what an ear virus that tune is. All I had to do was see the title.

Thanked by 1Casavant Organist
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Goodness, Dan Schutte plays "Blest Be the Lord" so slowly. He should have visited my home parish circa 1995 to hear the proper, rockin' tempo.
    Thanked by 1Casavant Organist
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    http://www.ocp.org/compositions/1642

City of God.

Wow. This song was already enough.
    But what they decided would be a good sample recording is... just... amazing!
    Thanked by 2ryand eft94530
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    This list is an absolute delight. Thank you for posting!
  • I once had someone tell me that my choice of music (I had a homeschool choir sing something in Latin, as I recall, at Communion) hindered "audience participation".

Oh, and then there's the lady who used the Baltimore Catechism for her First Communion class -- who then insisted that EVERYTHING at the First Communion Mass had to be sung by all the children. I suppose it wouldn't have been an evil idea, except that someone else had programmed Schubert's Ave Maria, and this lady insisted that unless the children could sing it, it couldn't be permitted. Oh, and what I later called happy-clappy music was the order of the day. Fortunately, the pastor intervened, and sanity was restored.

Yes, by the way, you read it correctly: she used the Baltimore Catechism and still believed this other stuff. This little event occasioned the writing of some of my parodies.
  • eft94530eft94530
    chonak: nostalgic ... 1980s

So which K-TEL Records commercial is the one best suited for that list?
  • ClergetKubiszClergetKubisz
    How I hate politics...
  • ryandryand
    Thanked by 1eft94530
  • MatthewRoth
    Wow. I don’t think I’ve ever heard the OCP stuff actually played like 1960s folk music.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Wow. I don’t think I’ve ever heard the OCP stuff actually played like 1960s folk music.

I actually think it's better that way. But then, my car-trip CD collection includes Peter, Paul, & Mary and John Denver. I'm also partial to that Canadian guy who sings about SANDWICHES. Also I like sandwiches.
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • MatthewRoth
    Fair enough. I am too young, I think, for that to have still “been a thing” when I started going to a parish in the clutches of OCP.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I'm only 33. That music wasn't played that way in my parish growing up. But I listened to a lot of it on CD and cassette tape. (I was a dork, BTW.)
  • matthewjmatthewj
    I'm also partial to that Canadian guy who sings about SANDWICHES.

How do you know about him? I've never met an American who has heard of him!
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I'm constantly on the look out for songs about food.
  • ghmus7
    I cannot imagine anyone singing with a straight face "The Spirit is a movin all over this Land"
  • ryandryand
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Send her a reply, Ryan.
    "Um, yeah."
  • Liam
    "Folks of Galilee..."

Another reason to avoid Ascension Thursday Sunday?
  • CharlesW
    Because we are the genuine conservative and traditional parish in town - yes, folks, we actually follow the books - we tend to get the nuts that have been driven out elsewhere. We have gotten the black helicopter and Russian troops are training in Kansas people, the Masons are destroying Christianity with the Novus Ordo folks, and the TLM followers who point out the speck in the eye of others, but never see the log in their own. I have learned to take them all with a huge grain of salt. It is good to know where your pastor stands on these "goofs" and whether he backs you up. If he does, you will be fine. He may be as exasperated with them as you are.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    the Masons are destroying Christianity with the Novus Ordo folks

Pretty sure that one is true.
  • Liam
    Brick by brick....
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • Kathy
    The Greek word for "men" in the Scripture passage quoted by the introit is "Andres." It is like the Latin "vir," and means males in particular.
    Thanked by 3Ben CHGiffen eft94530
  • fcbfcb
    I'm really offended that it excludes non-Galileans. It's because we've outsourced our gazing-up to Galilee that America is losing. Once we get the American Middle Class back to being rebuked by the angels for gazing up into the sky then there will be so much gazing that you're going to be bored with gazing. Gazing, gazing, gazing.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    The Greek word for "men" in the Scripture passage quoted by the introit is "Andres." It is like the Latin "vir," and means males in particular.

Sexist. (purple bold)
    Thanked by 2Kathy CHGiffen
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    "Andres." It is like the Latin "vir,"

Ot the English, "guys!".
  • CharlesW
    Pretty sure that one is true.

If true, it is somewhere else. The local masons are as inept as the KOC, if not worse. Those guys are no threat to anyone. LOL.
  • janetgorbitzjanetgorbitz
    We actually sang Viri Galilaei this Ascension Thursday Saturday Sunday... :)
    Thanked by 3Kathy EMH chonak
  • Charles,

It is in the nature of the Masons to work to destroy the Church. Individual Masons may be quite cheerful chaps, quite inept, quite..... [fill in soupy adjective to describe milque-toast Englishman], but this does not change the nature of the group to which they belong.
  • CharlesW

this does not change the nature of the group to which they belong.

They do have an Enlightenment view of things. I think the European Masons are the real threat. They are very different than the ones in the U.S.
  • SalieriSalieri
    Ot the English, "guys!".

Wouldn't "dudes" be more inclusive to today's Youth Culture (which is kind of like a Bacteria Culture, but not as interesting or nice to look at)?
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • bhcordovabhcordova
    You can do pretty nifty things with bacteria cultures. One year the microbiology lab cultured some bacteria that were the same shade of purple as our school colors. They plated a petri dish with those bacteria to spell out SFA.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • Andrew_Malton
    Hmm: cultured coloured bacteria; disliking sacred music; we have come full circle.
    Thanked by 1fp
  • Maybe she would be a bit happier if she heard the St. Anne Choristers (boys and girls) singing that Introit with gusto.

There are real examples of sexism. The Ascension isn't one of them. Yowsers
    Thanked by 3Salieri Ben CHGiffen
  • MaryAnn,

You've forgotten, apparently, that young people and children don't sing Latin. Remember
    Its just all about the men because women don't matter and we don't want children being Catholic.

• chonakchonak
    How unrealistic: the influence of fathers is enormous. If fathers don't sing, the kids don't sing. If fathers don't attend, the kids won't attend when they grow up. That's real life, so if the disgruntled parishioner wants the parish to still be open in 20 years, she should stop being selfish and start encouraging congregational music that average guys aged 25-50 are willing to sing. Everybody else will take inspiration from the men, if we just stop driving the men away from church.

I look out at the congregation in the little church where I work as cantor, and see the front two rows populated mostly by men, but not singing much.