Chant Setting of St. Michael Prayer
  • Hello all,

I was feeling creative tonight, so I thought I would write a Gregorian Chant setting of the prayer to St. Michael the Archangel (I'm surprised that I did not find one when searching online). I was wondering if anyone could give it the Simon Cowell treatment so I can make sure it is consistent with any rules governing Gregorian rhythm, notes, etc.

God Bless,
    Thanked by 1bonniebede
  • igneusigneus
    There is at least one such setting - from the Cistercian abbey Heiligenkreuz in Austria.
    https://sancrucensis.wordpress.com/2014/06/26/plainchant-setting-of-the-prayer-to-st-michael-the-archangel/
  • igneusigneus
    How do you pronounce Michael? Where I live it is always pronounced Michaël, i.e. as three syllables Mi-cha-el.
  • igneus, have you an audio of that chant or could you or someone post one?
  • igneusigneus
    @bonniebede An untrained chanter and a built-in mic of his laptop. Hear on your own risk.
    Thanked by 1bonniebede
  • Igneus, thanks for catching that opening syllable. For some reason, the Illuminare editor does not like splitting Michael into three syllables, so I had to put the punctum for the "a" in Michael right after the climacus. If anyone knows a way of fixing that, I would be most appreciative. Also, thanks for posting that setting of the prayer. It's good to know that setting this prayer has actually been done before! When I searched before, I could only find the Byzantine setting that bonniebede shared above.

Any input on what else could be done to improve this chant?
  • igneusigneus
    @NatePultorak 1. One more syllabification catch: proélio has three syllables proé-li-o.

2. To the music as a whole:

I am no Gregorian chant scholar, not even an experienced chanter. I am only familiar with a part of the repertory of the Divine Office. When one chants through the Divine Office antiphons, it is almost scandalous how monotonous, non-original, formulaic great part of the material is. Based on this experience I would say that your antiphon attempts to be too original. I don't see any of the familiar formulae. (Which doesn't necessarily mean there really isn't any.)

Also, the piece doesn't seem to fit in any of the traditional modes. It ends at re as mode 1, the beginning would possibly also fit mode 1, but there are long parts resembling rather mode 3 or 4 (mode 1 also knows phrases ending on mi, but here it is definitely not this case).
    In the traditional repertory there are some polymodal pieces, but it isn't an easy task to compose a good one.

It has the same ambitus as Salve Regina. For the sake of people with narrow voice range like me I would suggest cutting the heights and/or the depths.

3. To places worth attention:

the neume at the end of "defende" isn't very common at the end of a word (the last syllable doesn't carry any accent);
    the phrase end on "praesidium" isn't very satisfying;
    definitely do something with "illi Deus";
    the rich neumes on "virtute" sound artificial to me
  • I know I've seen one in mode 4 somewhere, maybe the Variae Preces. I'll look when I get home from work.
  • Indeed you have, friend ClemensRomanus, for this is it.

I would think that this could be considered the "authentic version", as its date is 1902, and for this text such antiquity is not likely to be bettered.

I am attached a .pdf of this chant, as it currently stands amongst the "diverse appendices" I have assembled for inclusion as part of my Little Office book project.

The addition of the Solesmes rhythmic signs and other slight edits are my own work, intended to render this chant consistent with the rest of my book, that is, as it might have appeared had it been included in a mainstream chant book such as the Liber Usualis.

Vale in Domino,

Jonathan

• Yes! That's it. Thank you, good sir.
  • Thank you for posting that! It is such a beautiful chant. I'm thinking I should probably leave my version to gather dust and use this version, seeing that it is much better than anything I could probably write. (Man, those chant writers are geniuses!)
  • igneusigneus
    "Man, those chant writers are geniuses!" I haven't ever met any single one in person, so I can't say for sure, but I suppose they usually aren't :) . Writing chant requires rather practice (both singing the traditional stuff a lot and writing) than geniality.
  • It's surprising to me that an oration (not an antiphon) should have been supplied in 1902 with such an elaborate melody. Especially considering the usual use of it, viz., as a post-low-Mass intercession.

Is there any other example of such an oration? Or some other regular use of the Prayer to St Michael?
  • MatthewRoth
    Perhaps someone was regularly using it at Benediction.
  • tomjaw
    Is there any other example of such an oration?

There is also the Memorare that has been set to chant,
    http://forum.musicasacra.com/forum/discussion/9420/memorare/p1
  • igneusigneus
    Why do you call it "oration"? It's form/structure definitely isn't one of a classical oration of the Roman liturgy. It's rather a "free devotional prayer", which can be compared not only to Memorare, but also to other Marian prayers/antiphons (some first prayed then sung, some sung first) like Salve Regina or Sub tuum praesidium.
  • MatthewRoth
    I still have yet to understand why the Marian antiphons are antiphons...
  • igneusigneus
    @MatthewRoth Most of them originated as Divine Office antiphons for the feast of Assumption.
  • MatthewRoth
    Ah, in medieval usages, then?
  • tomjaw
    Why do you call it "oration"?

I just translated it to 'prayer'... I do see it can apply to Collects etc.