Whats happening to congregational singing?
  • chonakchonak
    Apparently this work came together over time.

First, John Arthur wrote the Scripture paraphrase which constitutes the verses; they appear as a stand-alone work with music by R. B. Farlee.

Composer Richard Hillert added a refrain to it and a new melody. On his page, Hymnary reports:

Among his most frequently performed liturgical works for congregation is Worthy Is Christ, with its antiphon, “This is the Feast of Victory” which was written as an alternate Song of Praise for inclusion in Setting One of the Holy Communion in Lutheran Book of Worship (1978) and Lutheran Worship (1982).
  • CharlesW
    In 15 years at my post, I haven't programmed "Festival Canticle" even once - and no one has asked for it.
    Thanked by 1Liam
  • Maybe what is happening is what should happen. Maybe the music, either of or during the Mass, should be chosen and performed to the highest standards of beauty and appropriateness, within the capabilities of the music ministers, while the congregation listens - which is their primary "active participation". Maybe we need to decide, as a Church, that the 1960s liturgists' push for everyone to constantly be moving around, doing something with their hands, and above all flapping their lips. All this congregational "business" is really more distracting than enhancing the Sacrifice of the Mass. At this point in time, it's simply what everyone in the US has grown up with.
    Thanked by 1ClergetKubisz
  • dad29
    "This is the Feast..." happens to be a favorite of Rembert Weakland, OSB.
  • CharlesW
    "This is the Feast..." happens to be a favorite of Rembert Weakland, OSB.

I am sooo biting my tongue!
    Thanked by 2Liam Spriggo
  • melofluentmelofluent
    My first encounter with the Hillert was an NPM in St. Louis in the 80's. Was sung as a Communio. In that august environment it was quite stirring. In the words of the liturgy's most interesting man, Mahrt, "I don't often program Worthy is Christ, but when I do, we kick out the jams. Stay churchy, my friends."
  • So many comments...what's one more. Attached is the playlist from our Choral Mass for the Solemnity of the Immaculate Conception. Purists and those with a dogmatic streak for following rubrics to the Nth degree should have a good tongue wag, but sing we do. Produce a weekly order of worship, give people something they can sink their teeth into, lead it well, and they will sing their hearts out. Add your particular charism to the mix (mine is catechesis through inculturation) but never, ever insult the intelligence of the faithful assembled.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMBtg2aafj8&list=PL7gDJO5zDWISMFrXt-gSDLe3GyBxhaIap
  • Don9of11Don9of11
    Beautifully done Mark Husey. I love this hymn, how I wish I could get our MD to sing music like this. The congregation is doing a wonderful job. To all, this is an excellent example of what congregational singing should be. See, if you play good music the congregation will sing.
    Thanked by 1oldhymns
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Beautiful program, Mark, and your people do love to sing! God bless them. It does one heart's good to hear them.

My Methodist organist friend mentioned to me the other day that he knows so many Catholic adults who don't know how to sing and who tell him they never sing in church. He asks them why, and they say, "Oh, the choir or the cantor does that." They say they are afraid to sing at Mass since they don't feel comfortable with their ability to sing.

He is astonished at the lack of basic musicality among Catholics since all of his Protestant friends sing all the time. It made me realize how few Catholic adults I know who can carry a tune and who are convinced that they can't sing. I couldn't help thinking: But, it's 50 years after Vatican II! Why don't more Catholics know how to sing at Mass?"

Inspired by our Methodist friend, a few families here have begun doing "Hymn Sings" once a month, and it has been very enlightening to see how it has taken several months for the adults to overcome their fear and open their mouths. We did some rounds last week and that helped a great deal. I was so happy to see my friends actually singing. We did the Tallis Canon in eight parts, and it was a blast. They had to sing out of self defense and it worked.

Thanked by 2Adam Wood Don9of11
  • melofluentmelofluent

He is astonished at the lack of basic musicality among Catholics

I live in a virtual singing city, nationally recognized scholastic choirs, tons of churches, incredible vocal population via elementary/private/secondary school programs, fine symphony etc.
    I really don't accept a "lack of basic musicality" as a rationale. Rather, it's a simple matter of lack of interest, lack of personal responsibility, lack of commitment either directly or indirectly.
    Yet I don't lose sleep over this "whatever FCAP is" scenario. There's a banquet of musical choice foods and fragrant wines, if they wanna come, it'll wait for them. In the meanwhile the children are bought in, should pay off after I'm gone.
    Thanked by 1JulieColl
  • WGS
    I've heard of congregations that have a special hymn sing on each 5th Sunday of a month. The participants choose the hymns. If a requested hymn is not already available in the pew hymnal, one would have to make a prior arrangement with the organist or coordinator. (and there's nothing which would prevent including some parts of the ordinary in the program)
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    In the meanwhile the children are brought in, should pay off after I'm gone.

That's what Justine Ward thought. Don't get me wrong; I believe she was correct to invest everything in the children since she couldn't have foreseen what was coming down the pike to derail everything she and so many worked to hard to build, but perhaps, in hindsight, it was the adults she should have focused on?
  • oldhymnsoldhymns
    Don, I just noticed the wonderful avatar you are now using--the Sunday School Hymn Book by the Sisters of Notre Dame (de Namur)....a great collection of Catholic hymns. A Sister of Mercy, who taught music in Catholic schools for 65 years, told me a few years ago that the Sunday School Hymn Book was always used where she taught (in pre-Vatican II days) for two reasons: (1) it reinforced children in their learning of the principles of the faith, and (2) the melodies were easy for the children to sing and remember. In thinking about it, this, in turn, supports the quote of Justine Ward which Julie posted, "the children are brought in...should pay off." (The rest of what Julie stated is, of course, true also.)
    Thanked by 1Don9of11
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Oldhymns, I was quoting Melo, not Justine Ward, but those were probably her sentiments as well. Apropos the Sisters of Notre Dame, from what I understand they did some very fine work before the Council creating educational resources for children, as did many other religious women. It's just unfathomable to me how, in most places, all those beautiful books and wonderful pedagogy were tossed in the bin after the Council.
  • If you are happy with how things are in the mainstream.. more power to you... but if you're not..be proactive, do something about it. I'm happy to see Julie has.

Where I live I attend sung vespers with harmonized psalms in english once a month and tridentine mass with only one recessional hymn at the end celebrated by a former anglican cleric. Without a dozen or so highly dedicated clerics and singers it would not be possible. None of these problems spoken of exist. There is hearty congregational singing for the kyriale, vespers psalms, canticles, hymns, simple tropes and other simple yet beautiful syllabic music.

I am only sorry that others feel they can not join us living in roman catholic liturgical utopia :-( I gave up fighting the battle which many of you fellows are fighting three years ago. Today, life is much less stressful..... I admire your thoughts but I do wonder if some of you are "missing the boat" so to spêak....

Perhaps you could consider this concept: 'Tune in (to the old traditional ways), turn on (embrace their inherent value), and drop out (of the modern contrived way of mediocrity).'"

This phrase urges people to embrace cultural changes through the use of holy time-tested tradition and by detaching themselves from the existing conventions and hierarchies in (the supposedly catholic) society with a more fulfilling alternative medievalist ascetical counter-catholic culture.

Like every great religion of the past we seek to find the divinity through the symbolism and life giving grace of sacraments which can only be fully expressed through the tradition of our forefathers revealed by holy popes, apostles and Christ himself... and to express this revelation in a life of glorification and the worship of God. These ancient goals we define in the metaphor of the present — turn on, tune in, drop out (of mainstream pseudo 'catholic' culture)....

• perhaps, in hindsight, it was the adults she should have focused on?

Deuteronomy 6:1-7
    These are the commands, decrees and laws the Lord your God directed me to teach you to observe in the land that you are crossing the Jordan to possess, 2 so that you, your children and their children after them may fear the Lord your God as long as you live by keeping all his decrees and commands that I give you, and so that you may enjoy long life. 3 Hear, Israel, and be careful to obey so that it may go well with you and that you may increase greatly in a land flowing with milk and honey, just as the Lord, the God of your ancestors, promised you.

4 Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one.[a] 5 Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. 6 These commandments that I give you today are to be on your hearts. 7 Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up.

Thanked by 1eft94530
  • eft94530eft94530
    The kids went to re-education camp ...
    Its a brand new day.
    Everything is fine.
  • Kathy
    Though it may be gray, I want you to know the sun's gonna shine.
    Thanked by 1eft94530
  • Great tune, Noel! Our band plays it at the Fall Festival.