Whats happening to congregational singing?
  • a_f_hawkins
    Rev. Dr. Percy Deamer opened the preface to the Oxford Book of Carols
    Carols are songs with a religious impulse that are simple, popular, hilarious, and modern.
    and ended
    .. people crowd our churches at Christmas, Easter, and Harvest Festivals, largely because the hymns for these occasions are full of a sound hilarity; ..
    If only we had some with theologically sound texts!
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • fcbfcb
    From Rev. Anthony Cekada (who is himself a church musician):
    “It is virtually impossible to create music with true artistic merit and singability for a non-musician…”

We can add this to the ever-growing list of things about which Fr. Cekada is wrong.
    Thanked by 1Liam
  • Please define true artistic merit, then.
    Thanked by 1PaxMelodious
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    From Rev. Anthony Cekada (who is himself a church musician wacky schismatic heretic agitator):

fixed
    Thanked by 3CharlesW Liam Spriggo
  • I am aware of his position as a sedevacantist, but there are two things here that I adamantly protest:

1. The fact that he is a sedevacantist does not make him an idiot. By rejecting his rhetoric outright, and citing the fact that he is a schismatic heretic to do so, you are indeed stating that his position negates everything he says, and we don't have to regard him at all.

2. Please refrain from the above-mentioned types of ad hominem arguments. I brought it up because I think he has a good point about it. Please argue the point.
    Thanked by 1StimsonInRehab
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Please argue the point.

So the point is that the following two musical qualities are, more or less, mutually exclusive:
    - artistic merit
    - singability

Refutation:
    - The simpler Gregorian ordinaries.
    - At least half of the Office hymn tunes.
    - The large body of standard metrical hymn tunes
    - The Beatles
    - The Beach Boys
  • Liam
    Adam

Like shooting fish in a barrel. Cekada's comment is meant to provoke, but it won't hunt.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    I would respectfully say twaddle, too. Yesterday at the local OF Mass here, our song leader beautifully sang "Gentle Woman" at the Offertory, and "Like A Child Rests In His Mother's Arms" for Communion, and we dutifully tried to follow in our books, but the irregular rhythm, fermatas and rallentando's made it difficult to render a solid congregational chorus to her lovely leading voice. There are just too many variables based upon the organist and song leader's discretion which causes uncertainty in the congregation.

On the other hand, when they broke into Hail, Holy Queen and the Benediction hymns and Holy God, the response was immediate. The people took those up with gusto and feeling. No uncertainty there in the least, and it's not just because they are so familiar. "Gentle Woman" has been around for ages, but it's far more suited for solo singing than congregational singing, it seems to me.
  • Ok, thank you. I see what you're saying now.

I would agree with your first two points of refutation. I would argue the artistic merit of the last three, although many of them are indeed quite singable. I don't think that The Beatles and The Beach Boys are anywhere near the level of artistic merit of the Gregorian ordinaries. Although, you didn't say they were all equal.

I took Rev. Cekada's statement in the light of appealing to the lowest common denominator. Here begins my own rhetoric:

Why, then, aren't we seeing more of the first two points you mentioned, specifically the simpler Gregorian ordinaries? If we have music that is of high artistic merit and is indeed singable for the average non-musician, then why not use it? Why focus on campy, touchy-feely typed music? Why is music of high artistic merit, but not singable for the average non-musician vehemently prohibited?

The answer that I would pose is this: we have seen a declining artistic standard from the general public. The objective artistic merit of something, in this case the music, is of little to no concern anymore. Music is not valued for its own merits.

I think that people recognize the difference between music that objectively has high artistic merit, and that which does not. I think that they are attracted to that music which does.

I also think that before anymore discussion on what does or does not achieve high artistic merit we must have the definition of "high artistic merit." I find, in accordance with Dr. Mahrt's statement that art must have "goodness of form," that the following definition fits:

The high artistic standard demands work that is considered high art. High art has what Dr. William Mahrt of Stanford University says is, “…goodness of form.” This is work done correctly according to an established set of rules and/or criteria. This normally requires some sort of training, and is the basic difference between trained and untrained musicians: trained musicians have been taught what the rules and criteria for good performance are, and they have been taught and conditioned to follow them.
  • fcbfcb
    My dismissal of Cekada's satement did, perhaps, commit the ad hominem fallacy, but I would argue that, at least as the starting point of an argument, his statement commits the fallacy of petitio principii--i.e. he is making inaccessibility to untrained musicians a defining feature of "artistic merit" without any argument.
  • With respect, the Rev Anthony Cekada is mistaken.
    Hence, the popularity of -
    Salve festa dies
    Sine nomine
    Down Ampney
    Adeste fideles
    Lauda anima

and hundreds of others.
  • he is making inaccessibility to untrained musicians a defining feature of "artistic merit" without any argument.

I agree with this point. High art doesn't necessarily have to be inaccessible to non-artists.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Yesterday at the local OF Mass here, our song leader beautifully sang "Gentle Woman" at the Offertory, and "Like A Child Rests In His Mother's Arms" for Communion, and we dutifully tried to follow in our books, but the irregular rhythm, fermatas and rallentando's made it difficult to render a solid congregational chorus to her lovely leading voice.

I would allow as how this thread has truly jumped the shark. And forensically I believe that is due to the "Blind Sages describing an elephant" syndrome. Why must we always insert our agendas and desire for conformity into others' experiences and practices? That's clearly counterproductive.
    For myself, I believe that Julie's anecdote suffices as an illustration of this perceived problem. We had a full church at noon yesterday (700+) including the school kids. The Offertorio, of course, was the "Ave Maria" antiphon. I saw an opportunity to sing the chanted "Ave" and then transition from Dminor to Dmajor into the Landry tune, which I virtually never program (I'm both accompanist and song leader.) My school kids sang the chant and the adults didn't....everyone sang the Landry easily and fully. To me, the issue is not always tied to musical coherence or artistry nor to text worthiness. It's always about performance practice and competency. Jackson's point about Salve festa is well taken, but programming it beyond Easter/Pentecost requires a very solid organist/choir/leader to confidently engage a congregation in that demanding hymn. The same could be said for RVW's The Call. It can easily be rendered by congregation (despite its original provenance) if the leader is aware of how to best guide the people through the melisma at the end of each stanza.
    Despite the tangential digressions, I think the thread is valuable in many arenas. But I do respect the original post/poster in that we ought to be mindful of the primary concern about eliciting congregational participation. Fractionating the concern into deep academic theology, the old who-sings-what? divvying up of musical portions of the Mass, idiosyncratic music theory issues, well it's okay.....but I doubt that it's all that helpful in diagnosing and correct a local and obvious situation. YMMV
    Thanked by 1PaxMelodious
  • Kathy
    Well, I'm not sure how accessible Salve festa dies is...
    Thanked by 1Liam
  • melofluentmelofluent
    True dat. But, if my conditions are present as I described, there's no good reason not to use it in lieu of four or five Sundays of "Jesus Christ is Ris'n Today." Again, YMMV
  • ...Well....

Well, I know dozens of people, ordinary church-goers, whose favourite hymn is Salve festa dies Anyone who balks at it is, obviously, a grinch - a very facetious grinch.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen Kathy
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    ... there's no good reason not to use it in lieu of four or five Sundays of "Jesus Christ is Ris'n Today.

... Just as there is no reason not to use "At the Lamb's High Feast We Sing."
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Or "Hail thee, festival day"
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Or "Hail thee, festival day"

Um, that's RVW's "Salve festa dies" which is what I assumed people were talking about.
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    The same could be said for RVW's The Call. It can easily be rendered by congregation (despite its original provenance) if the leader is aware of how to best guide the people through the melisma at the end of each stanza.

I take issue with this, not so much because of what Melofluent says about its ease of rendering (or lack thereof), but because the "hymn" version is so simple musically that, with the same bowdlerized accompaniment for all three stanzas, it borders on being boring and trite.

The original solo setting by Ralph Vaughan Williams uses on melody, with two different accompaniments, for the first two stanzas, followed by a higher pitched variation on the melody with even more interesting accompaniment for the final stanza ... all for a completely satisfying work, both for musician(s) and audience alike. There are a few choral arrangements utilizing the original accompaniment variations, but these are for a chorus (or chorus with soloist), for the original conception simply is not suitable as a hymn. The fact the people are so enamored of the text and may have heard the RVW original might have lulled them into thinking the hymnal version is a great hymn, but they are wrong. It isn't.

Try playing through the same "hymn" arrangement three times, and then play through the original solo setting. There is no comparison.

the hymn version score

the original keyboard score

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Bbielm1e_A
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Um, that's RVW's "Salve festa dies" which is what I assumed people were talking about.

Of course it is. I assumed the original mention of it was in re: the chant (since there Latin involved). Anyway, there are plenty of things to sing besides:

Jesus Christ is Risen Today Fa-la-la-la-la, la-la-la-la.
  • Kathy
    Some choirs and Catholic congregations can't deal with two different melodies in the verses.
  • Kathy
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • tomjaw
    If we are talking about the chant "Salve festa Dies"...

How old is this processional hymn?
    How many imitations of this hymn are found in the Analecta Hymnica?
    How many translations are sung today?

Well I will answer the first question as I have 'Connelly' to hand. Author Venantius Fortunatus, died c. AD600. The second question is more difficult at least 10! The third question will no doubt be ably answered by other members.

I would say that this must be a very good hymn to have been used for so long and to have given so much inspiration to others! Popular would be a good description!

This Hymn is of course accessible because of it's repeating refrain, rather than the verses which can be rather complicated to sing. Although if we sang the other versions we would be singing it more regularly, I am sure it would not be too long before we (our Cantors) would only need the words.

We regularly sing this Hymn over Easter in processions and it works very well, by the third verse most of the congregation are singing as we process, and they don't even need the words or the music! Some of the verses of this hymn will appear in the Latin Mass Society Pilgrimage booklet.
  • Just to clarify, I was, I thought, obviously referring to the hymn tune, not the chant. It was, after all, the first in a list of such hymn tunes. This is not to suggest that the chant itself should be any more daunting.

And, Kathy, i shall assert, once again, that what Catholics 'can't do' they have been taught that they can't do by a culture that stifles their interest or ability to rise beyond a certain level. That they have been musically 'dumbed down' is a self-evident truth. Catholics have the same brains that others do. Their limitations are imposed, cultivated, and learned.
    Thanked by 2dad29 MBW
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Kathy, in "Hail thee festival day" the verses alternate between women (odd numbered) and men (even numbered), hence the two different melodies for the verses ... no problem if you sing your own part.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQwciRZLTVw
  • Kathy
    Is it just me, or is the singing on verses 1 and 2 rather inaudible?
  • Liam
    I know organists love hymns like Hail Thee Festival Day and Festival Canticle, but I would not shed a tear if I never had to encounter them again. They are examples in the traditional idiom where a filter of Does This Sound Good A Cappella? might sift these out.* Take out the organ and I wonder: why bother? They become a vocalise, and not really good for that, either.

* There are of course classics where the filter would not be dispositive. Parry's Jerusalem is at the boundary of where you'd think it would not be workable without the magnificent accompaniment, but it can work with a very confident (read: English or Anglophile) congregation.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Is it just me, or is the singing on verses 1 and 2 rather inaudible?

As explained on the YouTube page, the procession is a big loop around the inside, and there are times when the voices are less prominent on the recording because of the distance from the microphones.
  • Liam has a point. Non-chant hymnody is harmonic by nature and doesn't make much genuine melodic sense without it. It by nature implies harmony, harmony supplied by part singing and or organ accompaniment. I, for one, when singing solo will always sing chant. Singing nearly all non-chant hymn tunes without parts makes no musical sense.

This is not to suggest (here is where I part with Liam) that such hymns are less desirable. We are fortunate indeed to have both genres. Many years ago I didn't at all like Salve festa dies, but I have grown rather to like it immensely. In fact, I have written a set of descants for the verses and the refrain which I believe to be right nice.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • melofluentmelofluent
    re. THE CALL
    the "hymn" version is so simple musically that, with the same bowdlerized accompaniment for all three stanzas, it borders on being boring and trite.

Yes and deedy doo it becomes banal with the minor mode accompaniment as I experienced from OCP's arrangement. Which is precisely why I re-arranged the accompaniment and, gasp, even SET a verse in major mixolydian! The melody fared quite well with that. YMMV.
    I'm kinda sorta with Liam, save for Jerusalem. I don't think that many "proto Anglican" types of hymns translate well enough to the NO for prolific use, particular those like SALVE FESTA DIES and the "Lutheran" FESTIVAL CANTICLE. "De gustibus in aeternum" be your guide. Others, KINGSFOLD, CRUCIFER and such fare better.
    JERUSALEM I regard as a choral work, not hymn, because of its original and particular text. It is an wonderfully extreme piece of music, and as such has been pilloried or parodied away from standard Murican hymnody. And if I use it as a choral work, I use other texts (O day of peace, etc.)
    Thanked by 1Liam
  • Kathy
    I love HTFD. But it's hard. If I'm going to ask a congregation to learn a hard Easter song, it will be the more scriptural This Joyful Eastertide.
    Thanked by 3melofluent Liam Spriggo
  • melofluentmelofluent
    I love that hymn, and it is a challenge for PIPs.
  • No! No no no. It's not hard. It's fun.
    Thanked by 1a_f_hawkins
  • Liam
    MJO

It's about as much fun as a root canal.

As for your point about harmonic (movement) being critical for hymns: actually, I don't agree with that as a general rule. Fine tunes work well without harmonic movement beneath or above them. Indeed, there are beautiful tunes written without any such support in mind (see, for example, Quaker and Shaker tunes).

As an example where I think your point has validity, I will invoke a favorite tune of mine that RVW put in the 1906 English Hymnal: DANBY, which is typically paired with Longfellow's (well, the brother of the more famous Longfellow) text, 'Tis Winter Now. It can be sung effectively a cappella, but gains with harmonic support - true for the vaguely British Isles tunes' penchant for repeated notes at final cadences....
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • Thanks, Liam.
  • Don9of11Don9of11
    JulieColl - On the other hand, when they broke into Hail, Holy Queen and the Benediction hymns and Holy God, the response was immediate. The people took those up with gusto and feeling. No uncertainty there in the least, and it's not just because they are so familiar. "Gentle Woman" has been around for ages, but it's far more suited for solo singing than congregational singing, it seems to me.

Julie, why do you think it is that the people sing these hymns with gusto and feeling? If we rule out the familiarity of the hymn?
  • ryandryand
    Singable melodies. Easy to remember.

Also, familiarity.
  • chonakchonak
    Little or no syncopation.
    No leaps or drops greater than a fifth.
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    As explained on the YouTube page, the procession is a big loop...
    Coming back to the topic, the congregants (at least the visible front pews) were not processing. Maybe the organ is two loud. Salve is missing from The Catholic Community Hymnal but occurs 3 times in the Methodist hymnal (Easter, Ascension, Pentecost). That grinch former pastor was apparently not being facetious in reporting that it had always been a train wreck. We printed it in the bulletin with the refrain re-appearing after the A verse and there was no hitch: R, A, (you know what to do), B (go to the top of the page) had apparently been a bridge tooo far...
  • chonakchonak
    It does need a detailed road map.

At the church where I work (I'm just a cantor, not the DM), even the choir isn't able to follow scores that require flipping back and forth, so if I wanted them to sing HTFD (a beloved hymn), I'd want to make a score that lays everything out in sequence with no need to turn back. The congregation? Not yet.

• francis
    congregational singing belongs in the dialogues and the ordinary. otherwise, it is highly overrated and unduly required. busy nor distract not the minds and hearts with requirement for superfluous sounds in deference to that we much more need in the prayers for the souls of the living and the dead.

...their rosaries may make the difference in your eternal destiny. do not distract them from the task with songs that gain nothing
    Thanked by 1ClergetKubisz
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    In the Hymnal 1940, HTFD (each of the three versions, for Easter, Ascension, and Whitsunday) is laid out on two pages facing each other ... no need to do any flipping back and forth ... and that includes the accompaniment! The verses are numbered, and at the end of each verse is the instruction "Repeat refrain."
  • bhcordovabhcordova
    Wasn't Festival Canticle written originally for the ordination of the bishop of the Diocese of Tyler?
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    [need] to make a score that lays everything out in sequence with no need to turn back.
    Sounds like time to wean them from The Vatican II Hymnal. ;-)

I could never reliably get through Haugen's "Praise to you O God of mercy" until I renumbered the verses 1,2,2b,3 and then, thinking better and going for white-out, 1, 2, 3 (repeat 1). The short review I do before Mass is a good argument for rehearsals in the sanctuary.
  • ronkrisman
    Wasn't Festival Canticle written originally for the ordination of the bishop of the Diocese of Tyler?

That does not compute. The Diocese of Tyler was erected in 1986. Richard Hillert composed Festival Canticle in 1975.
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    What doesn't compute for me is that we should automatically assume a Catholic diocese: "This is the feast" is the well-known 'option 2' to the Gloria in the Lutheran Book of Worship.
    Thanked by 1BruceL
  • Surely a part of whether a hymn is easy to sing depends on how well led it is, by the organist. I know hymn tunes I've sung (or, more accurately, tried to sing) with the interference of a weak organist or someone who merely plays one at a console on demand ..... hymn tunes I know and love, and find these difficult to sing.

• ronkrisman
    What doesn't compute for me is that we should automatically assume a Catholic diocese: "This is the feast" is the well-known 'option 2' to the Gloria in the Lutheran Book of Worship.

I did not automatically assume a Catholic diocese. But, as I reflected on the fact that there is no Episcopal diocese or Lutheran or Methodist judicatory or Eastern rite eparchy located in Tyler, I deduced that bhcordova was referring to the Catholic bishop of Tyler.
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood