Professional stand on this?
  • With the Supreme Court of the United States having decided that weddings may not be denied to sodomite couples, may we expect that we will be required to play, to use our musical skills, for such occasions? Does the CMAA have an official position on any of this?

[Since "sodomy" is the proper name for what these persons engage in, I'm not being inflammatory. Please address yourselves to the question at hand.]
  • This is hardly General Discussion: Music.
  • Very disturbing to see at least one faculty member for the upcoming colloquium celebrating the decision quite openly.
    Thanked by 1DennisVu
  • melofluentmelofluent
    One reason I'm glad not to be in PA next week, frankly, Daniel. Which is sad.
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    I'm not being inflammatory. Please address yourselves to the question at hand.
    Whatever you say, Chris. The USSC is addressing civil marriage. Has any organist ever been forced to play for a divorced person's wedding against their will?
    Thanked by 1PaxMelodious
  • CharlesW
    Weddings are contracts between bride/groom and the musicians. The church is not a party to that contract in my place. In my case, I contract all the weddings out to someone who needs the money, because I don't and don't want the stress that goes along with weddings. I would think a musician who was asked to play a same-sex wedding could say he was unavailable at that time. How could anyone make a case otherwise?
  • Noel,

If you would like to propose a different heading for the topic, I'm happy to relabel it.

Daniel,

Yes, exactly. If the CMAA had a position on whether musicians should knowingly cooperate with the violation of Catholic teaching, would such a person be allowed to teach at the colloquium while broadcasting his opinions

Charles, (Melofluent),

I can't go, but it sounds as if I should be glad I can't.

Richard,

I'm not intending to be inflammatory. If you've seen my comments around here in the past, I may take unpopular positions and try to defend them, but I don't say something just to start a fight, except in good fun (i.e., if it will get Adam Wood to say something lyrical).

The Supreme Court isn't addressing civil marriage, if by that you mean what the states recognize: 30+ states refused to recognize it yesterday; what happens in the wake of this decision is up for others to decide.

I have no idea if an organist has been forced to play for such a wedding. On the other hand, many other people who own businesses catering to those who intend to marry are being so compelled, so it wouldn't be beyond the bounds of possibility.

Charles W,

If he asks what kind of marriage it is before confirming availability, he leaves himself open to charges of discrimination. If he doesn't ask, then, when he finds out, he is unable to back out without, again, leaving himself open to charges of discrimination. Either way, it's a lose, lose situation.

Thanked by 1KARU27
  • Jani
    If anyone thinks this isn't heading for a challenge in parishes, he's wrong. If a musician is employed by a parish I can see some pastors holding that musician to contract. There are enough of you paid musicians here who have shared various concerns about your pastors that you just know some of them will willingly perform these ceremonies in their churches. I think Chris G-Z' s question is legitimate and important.
    Thanked by 1HeitorCaballero
  • JonLaird
    The question posed is more about religious freedom than about today's decision. Forcing anyone to participate in a religious ritual contrary to their conscience is a violation of religious freedom. I'm not sure that the CMAA needs to make any statement about it.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • JonLaird
    (For the record, to eliminate any confusion, my own personal stand is squarely according to the church's teaching, and I am extremely disheartened by the decision -- though not surprised -- especially given that I have a toddler child I must raise in this increasingly hostile society. My point, I suppose, is that the religious freedom battle has been going on for quite some time now, and the problem posed by the OP is a very small drop in the typhoon of potential implications of the Church being on the political losing end of the battles either for religious freedom or the preservation of marriage. In short, the world does not revolve around contracted organists.)
  • Jani
    The CMAA didn't make a statement. A member felt comfortable enough to share something on their mind. Nothing wrong with that.
  • Really!
    What are the chances of these 'marriages' taking place in a Catholic church? (Nihil.)
    So, unless you are playing somewhere else, you have nothing to worry about.
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    States rights used to be invoked in defense of miscegenation laws too, by people who didn't want to understand some part of "Supreme Court". But I'm not trying to be inflammatory either, and that's hardly the question at hand. If you happen work for one of the churches that marries same sex couples it really doesn't matter what the Supreme Court does.
    Thanked by 1PaxMelodious
  • Richard R.
    It seems to me the dilemma is that CMAA has never been exclusively Catholic, but nevertheless firmly grounded in the Catholic perspective. Up to now, this has entailed only minor accommodations, in the pursuit of inclusiveness. I have a feeling this may have to change. Certainly, the type of clergy that feel attached to the work of CMAA, and who participate in the Colloquium, tend not to be those who will chose to do so, should the organization express open ambivalence on this issue. Not to sound overly clerical about it, but really, that would pretty much spell the end of the organization.

My view from the trenches the last couple decades has been instructive. Generally speaking, for parish church musicians who cannot align themselves with the Church's teachings on moral issues, it came down to a) their personal choice to cooperate discreetly, and b) their pastor's willingness to accommodate a). I have seen both, and I have seen both falter in recent years. So far, nobody I know has made a federal case (so to speak) of it. Musicians who could no longer operate within Church teachings have tended to leave more or less quietly; pastors who could no longer tolerate open transgressions on the part of their musicians have dismissed them (or, less nobly, forced them out, one way or another). Nobody can tolerate working in a contentious environment for very long. On the other hand, nobody who has served the Catholic Church with any degree of honesty is eager to actively debase the institution. This rather sanguine perspective is also bound to change in coming years.

The question then becomes whether CMAA is bound primarily to support musicians, regardless of their ecclesial tradition or doctrinal alignment; or whether its work is, and must, remain within the context of the Roman Catholic Church. I should hope, for all our sakes, that the C always precedes the M.
  • CharlesW
    Our bishop has stated same-sex marriages will not be performed in Catholic churches in this diocese. The state legislature is working on legislation to protect clergy from lawsuits in state courts. We will see how this all shakes out.

I may have already mentioned this - I often read one forum too many and forget what and where I posted. I read a statement by a Greek Orthodox priest in, I believe, Michigan. He stated he would no longer represent or be an agent of the state to perform legal marriages. He intends to do church marriages and let the couple separately perform whatever is necessary to satisfy the secular authorities. I think we may see more of similar actions with the church removing itself from the legal marriage business.
  • WendiWendi
    I read a statement by a Greek Orthodox priest in, I believe, Michigan. He stated he would no longer represent or be an agent of the state to perform legal marriages. He intends to do church marriages and let the couple separately perform whatever is necessary to satisfy the secular authorities. I think we may see more of similar actions with the church removing itself from the legal marriage business.

That is the only long term option that the church will have.

Very disturbing to see at least one faculty member for the upcoming colloquium celebrating the decision quite openly.
    Quite. I'm with Dearest on this one.
  • kevinfkevinf
    The option to perform sacramental marriages separate from the state is not new. Pardon my francophile tendencies, but in France you marry at the town hall and then you go to the church to marry there. As I have never been a fan of the Church being an agent of the State in the regulation of marriage, I would applaud such a move. The state has a role in the regulation of marriage and the Church has a separate task. Perhaps this will become the way.
  • dad29
    people who didn't want to understand some part of "Supreme Court"

Supreme Court is one thing.

Supreme Being is another. Some don't want to understand that difference.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    What are the chances of these 'marriages' taking place in a Catholic church? (Nihil.)

Jackson, I don't believe I've ever seen a more naïve declaration from your pen, ever.
  • Kevin - good point about France. That seems like essentially what we have here now (or what we will need to clarify soon). The state can never force the Catholic Church to decide what constitutes sacramental marriage within the Catholic sacramental system. If for no other reason than that the Church is much, much larger than any one nation.

BUT, it does become an interesting question of conscience for a faithful Catholic working in a church music position in a tradition that performs gay marriages.
    Thanked by 1BruceL
  • Scott_WScott_W
    I haven't fleshed this out, so take it as you see fit, but perhaps musicians should take advantage of the Hosanna-Tabor ruling and have their positions officially declared by the parish or diocese to be "ministerial" positions.
  • CharlesW
    I haven't fleshed this out, so take it as you see fit, but perhaps musicians should take advantage of the Hosanna-Tabor ruling and have their positions officially declared by the parish or diocese to be "ministerial" positions.

I like the idea. Perhaps they might even have to pay us more. LOL.

I worked as DOM/Organist in a Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) for 5 years. That makes me quite familiar with liberal Christianity, since I think only the United Church of Christ is more liberal. It wasn't uncommon for some to be in what Catholics would consider improper relationships. Many had been divorced multiple times and it wasn't uncommon for members to decide to be re-baptized. I never understood that one. I took the position that I couldn't live their lives, only my own.
  • Jazzer
    Jared,

BUT, it does become an interesting question of conscience for a faithful Catholic working in a church music position in a tradition that performs gay marriages.

That would mean a faithful Catholic working full-time in a non-Catholic workplace. I do that all the time, but as a construction worker, not a musician.

Tough call. I've quit jobs before because I didn't like the end result of my labour.

Any Catholic in a paid position at a non-Catholic church would surely be able to exercise their religious freedom and abstain from participating in the SSM ceremony. Consequences will no doubt vary, and there will be some suffering. Steel yourselves.

• Jeffrey Quick
    I'm drafting a contract for a freelance wedding I'm doing. I've listed my responsibilities and the groom's responsibilities, among which is:
    "To arrange a licit marriage under the canon law of the Catholic Church."
    This came up when I'd exchanged a mess of emails and realized with amusement that, in typical male obliviousness, he'd never told me the name of the bride. When I told my wife, she was horrified. "OMG, it's a guy, we're going to get sued." "It's a Catholic wedding; that can't happen." "Bet me." Given that there are several "catholike" groups in town, I realized that there was a greater than zero chance of running into trouble, and overkill was in order.
    Thanked by 1DennisVu
  • CharlesW
    Any Catholic in a paid position at a non-Catholic church would surely be able to exercise their religious freedom and abstain from participating in the SSM ceremony. Consequences will no doubt vary, and there will be some suffering. Steel yourselves.

It seems to me such a marriage might be legal but not sacramental, as viewed by the church. I would probably feel I was being paid to perform at a civil ceremony, not something sacred. YMMV.
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    Richard R. asks
    ...whether CMAA is bound primarily to support musicians
    Sounds like a no-brainer to me. Love of sacred music can make for odd bedfellows, much as defense of 'traditional marriage' (historically as one man, one or more women) has allied bishops with the Church of Latter Day Saints.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • Richard,

States rights used to be invoked in defense of miscegenation laws too, by people who didn't want to understand some part of "Supreme Court". But I'm not trying to be inflammatory either, and that's hardly the question at hand. If you happen work for one of the churches that marries same sex couples it really doesn't matter what the Supreme Court does.

That people can use a valid argument for a bad purpose is hardly new. In the interests of not dragging this thread completely off topic, I'll chose my words carefully.

Subsidiarity requires that no problem be solved at a level higher than necessary. It is (or used to be) an American principle as well as a Catholic one. "States' rights" is a perfectly valid American argument, supported by the Constitution, and one with which the Magisterium of the Church agrees. This doesn't validate slavery, and I intend not to discuss the question of slavery. I'll happily discuss miscegenation laws off thread. States' rights, on the other hand, is immediately relevant to the problem at hand, and so I'll pick that up. The Supreme Court first decided that DOMA (at the Federal level) was unconstitutional because defining marriage was the states' prerogative. Now the Supreme Court decides that the states can't, in fact, define marriage (or much of anything else). When it suited the Court's purpose to apply subsidiarity, it did so, but when, on exactly the same issue, it found subsidiarity unhelpful, it declared it inapplicable. Contract law (which would govern the behavior of organists who are under contract) and the "ministerial exception", which can apply even without contracts, can't be considered safe havens if a court simply decides when (and if) to apply the arbitrary standard. Hence, my question about where the court decision leaves CMAA and individual musicians.

Jackson,

Nothing performed in a Catholic church will actually be the marriage of two men or two women or a polyamorous marriage or..... whatever, but I agree with Charles (Melofluent) that someone will try.
  • David AndrewDavid Andrew
    There's a really tacky joke in here somewhere about solving the problem of having to play that hackneyed piece of camp from Wagner's "Loengrin" for a processional, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to make it work.

I'll just go back to nursing my bourbon and figuring out what the world will look like when I wake up tomorrow.

Then there's the whole question of what to do about my AGO membership.
  • JahazaJahaza
    It seems to me the dilemma is that CMAA has never been exclusively Catholic

In membership, yes, but in primary mission? It was explicitly founded as the American affiliate of the Consociatio Internationalis Musicae Sacrae (CIMS) which had been chartered by Pope Paul VI.
  • chonakchonak
    I hope everyone collaborating with the CMAA will respect CMAA's identity as a Catholic organization.

• OraLabora
    The SSM train has left the station in Canada now for some years. The sky hasn't fallen, and our schola hasn't been asked to chant at SSMs. Though our age group tends to attract funerals more than weddings... I did my part, I lobbied the Prime Minister and my MP against SSM. Fat lot of good that did. So we all have to live with the reality that legal SSM is here to stay. Sacramental is another matter. Fortunately the Supreme Court in either country does not decide what is sacramental and what isn't.

I don't think we have to worry about performing for SSMs in Catholic parishes for the foreseeable future. Those who perform in non-Catholic ceremonies... YMMV. I think as a matter of conscience you can refuse or arrange to be busy that day (Honey, do you have any jobs that need doing around the house next Saturday? :-) ).

The SSM crowd can do many things. One thing they cannot do, is take sacramental grace from the sacrament of holy matrimony away from us. Nor can the no-fault divorce crowd, for that matter, and they've been around even longer than SSM.

U.I.O.G.D
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    I thought the question was "may we expect that we will be required to play", but maybe subsidiarity requires organizations like CMAA to do their part to keep the issue from having to be addressed by the Vatican.

As music professionals I think we might worry instead about a stand on stuff that Melo has sniffed out. I fully expect someone here to pipe up and say this doesn't matter because the recessional song is not officially part of the Mass. ;-)
  • JonLaird
    our schola hasn't been asked to chant at SSMs

But if they were, surely you would sing the gradual Uxor tua.
    Thanked by 1aphill
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Thanks, Richard for the shout. If I sniff so well, maybe someone should ship me upstate New York for the other prison escapee.
    As I see it, this issue's ramifications aren't about we musicians and our Catholic fealty.
    This issue is political as the SCOTUS has provided a platform for the executive and legislative branches at the federal and state level to dictate, on their terms, what constitutes a separation between church and state. And in this era, guess who'll prevail?
  • dad29
    Well, as to the question at hand:

As I understand the CMAA's charter, politics are not included.

However, given the membership (almost exclusively Catholic) and the Church's position on gay "marriage," the Board should consider issuing a memorandum to the effect that members/officers of the CMAA shall NOT publicly use their CMAA position or membership as a credential if they choose to advocate positions directly contrary to Church teaching.

As to serving such a "marriage," that's entirely up to each member as an individual.
    Thanked by 2Wendi CharlesW
  • francis
    Dad:

I was going to click the thanks on your post, but wondered what 'serving such a marriange' means. Can you elucidate?
  • donr
    If you would like to serve at "such a wedding" in protestant church that is completely up to the individual and his informed conscious. Free will is what we have and are responsible for our own souls.
    However the point is mute in Catholic Churches. If we are asked to play for "such a wedding" a call to the bishop, then the USCCB and the Vatican if necessary would be in order.
    Thanked by 1noel jones, aago
  • dad29
    Francis: donr has it.
  • If you would like to serve at "such a wedding"

Don't most places have a moral turpitude clause?
  • CharlesW
    One person's moral turpitude is party time for another. ;-)

I don't see same sex weddings in Catholic churches during our lifetimes. In Orthodox churches, hell will freeze before then. The Protestants will continue to do as they please as they have always done. Maybe we shouldn't be that concerned about what they are doing.
  • Jazzer
    This just in...

"In those situations where homosexual unions have been legally recognized or have been given the legal status and rights belonging to marriage, clear and emphatic opposition is a duty. ... If all Catholics are obliged to oppose the legal recognition of homosexual unions, Catholic politicians are obliged to do so in a particular way, in keeping with their responsibility as politicians."

Developing... More at 6

• And we know the world is saved, if we rely on politicians! Now, Jazzer, you know that that is a joke, right?
  • Jazzer
    Yes... They do so in their particular way! Keeping with their responsibility as politician... pretty rich material :)
    Best joke i've heard all day

Thanked by 1canadash
  • Scott_WScott_W
    I don't see same sex weddings in Catholic churches during our lifetimes

I don't see same-sex weddings in Catholic churches at any time unless the State creates a kind of faux church like in communist countries, which I don't see either since the USGov likes to keep up the lie that it is neutral and tolerant on moral topics.

However, everything on the perimeter of the Church is fair game: hospitals, schools, universities, homeless shelters...and musicians who moonlight for non-Catholic events.

This is why I think the Hosanna-Tabor "minister" option ought to be explored. As a Catholic in a ministerial position, you could argue that you are still representing the Catholic teachings on marriage which does recognize the validity of man-women marriages outside the communion. Without it, you might be able to keep on trucking, but I think eventually you will run afoul of a situation similar to:

• GavinGavin
    The original question is why I keep my politics to myself. Working in a politically diverse field such as church music (with musician colleagues being liberal and congregations typically conservative), it is poor politics to risk offending someone. I have liberal colleagues who sound off all the day about gay marriage and how anyone who opposes it is a bigot, and I just think - would I want to attend a church with this person on staff? At the same time, I have other colleagues who can't keep their mouths shut about their right-wing beliefs, which poisons their reputations in the broader musical community and closes doors to them.

The funny thing is that all this sounding off about your opinion accomplishes nothing positive. No one's mind is changed. No government policies are altered. Your perspective is not so valuable that the world is waiting on pins and needles for your latest Facebook status. And you are not making some bold, martyr-like stand for the True Faith by telling everyone what you think of Benghazi. All you're doing is poisoning your reputation with roughly half of the broader professional world.
  • WendiWendi
    With all due respect Gavin...I cannot agree with you. Being silent in the face of evil makes you complicit with the evil. Besides...all it does is buy you a little temporary safety. You will eventually have to pick a side in this fight.

Learn to live on Lentils and you won't have to flatter the king.

• JulieCollJulieColl
    Love the graphic, ScottW. It's a sad truth in America that maintaining political correctness is often necessary in professional and even in Catholic social environments if one is interested in keeping one's job or friends. What is amazing is that my French friend tells me this is not the case in France where one's political/religious opinions may be aired openly at work and in the public forum with zero risk of reprisal or social exclusion.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
  • Scott_WScott_W
    The funny thing is that all this sounding off about your opinion

That marriage is only properly between a man and and a woman is merely an opinion?
    Thanked by 1DennisVu
  • Scott_WScott_W
    "Play the music and sing"

Nice take on it. Of course the next stage is making sure everyone is singing enthusiastically. Kinda like in The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly where Confederate prisoners are forced to play while one of their own (they believe) is being tortured and the guard commands: "More feeling."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IK94ch0hfcc