What's Wrong with Hail Mary: Gentle Woman, et al?
  • francis
    Is Maine really that much of a "cesspool" for the Church? We have had more than our share of church building closings, school closings and elimination of multiple Mass schedules due to a dwindling priest shortage. We are down to about eight or nine "cluster" parishes for the entire Diocese of Portland and only three ordinations this year. That number will be declining in future years.

The GOAL is 0 clusters and 0 ordinations, and you are well on your way to a perfect record in the not too distant future!

Wake. Up. People!
    248 x 259 - 84K
  • Jani
    Sure Francis-so the entire hierarchy is responsible because they are the ones who represent the Church first, and they are the ones pushing/allowing OCP and GIA and whomever.

My point was and is that the rage is misplaced.
  • francis
    Jani:

The rage may be displaced. The object of the anger may be unclear. It is unclear to all of us to some degree. We all are in constant debate about that subject for sure. But the anger is real and needs a resolve in just action. How is that accomplished?
  • Jani
    If I knew that, I'd be the Pope-ess! :-D

Just kidding!!! Geez, let's all take a chill-pill....gimme a big one!
  • chonakchonak
    The last time I was last up in Maine, it was to visit the grave of the French Jesuit priest Sebastian Rale, who was killed by the British during an attack on the Indian settlement he served. He's probably not officially recognized as a martyr yet, but I figure it wouldn't hurt to ask for his prayers for the church in Maine.

The same day, I saw the magnificent basilica in Lewiston, where the music was and remains in good hands; at the time, the church was the base for a team of priests covering a long list of parishes in eleven towns! That sort of thing is a sign that the diocese was paying the price for its past governance. I hope that matters have improved in recent years.

Since then, good developments have continued at the basilica, and at the cathedral in Portland. Perhaps there are other places too.

Anyway, I figured that someone who had lived through those bad decades couldn't be blamed for venting some.
  • ryandryand
    Been to that basilica for TLM. Beautiful.
  • SalieriSalieri
    Do you people really, I mean really, think that this problem started after Vatican II? Look through almost any pre-V2 hymnal, in any language, and you'll see saccharine, sentimental songs that are only worthy to line a bird-cage. This is the same problem that Pius X, AWN Pugin, and Prosper Gueranger, were fighting against in the Roman Catholic Church, and that Percy Dearmer and RVW were fighting against in the Anglican Church, in the late 19th & early 20th Centuries. Other churchman and musicians fought against it in earlier centuries.

Nichil novi sub sole.

And I cannot picture Pugin, or Dearmer, or Gueranger, or Vaughan Williams, or Willan, or Dr Berry, or Ratzinger, or anyone else involved in the restoration of the Sacred Liturgy, wanting to spit in anyone's face.

Bad taste thou shalt have with thee alway.
  • CharlesW
    I think scripture could have used the addition of, "Inferior music will always be with you." Vatican II didn't create the problem, since music in the average parish was not that good to begin with. Many places simply went from one kind of mediocre music to another.
    Thanked by 1Salieri
  • SalieriSalieri
    V: Inferior music be with you always.
    R: And with your spirit.
  • CharlesW
    Let us pray!
  • GavinGavin
    I'll take the garbage music of today over the garbage music of yesterday. (OLD SAINT BASIL HYMNAL, I'M TALKING TO YOU!!) At least On Eagle's Wings makes people hate the guitar. To Jesus's Heart All-Burning made people hate the ORGAN. That's not cool, dude.

Controversial opinion: I think that even if CMAA's goals were broadly met, there would still be bad music out there. Mass VIII, anyone?
    Thanked by 2Adam Wood CharlesW
  • melofluentmelofluent
    I like the moniker "Melofant." It's funny and apt.
    But if I changed "me" again I'd have to explain "me" all over again from the beginning.
    BTW, the key of HMGW is actually meant to be rendered in D. I don't think that Landry can play barre chords, tee hee.

[...]
  • CharlesW
    BTW, the key of HMGW is actually meant to be rendered in D. I don't think that Landry can play barre chords, tee hee.

LOL.

But if I changed "me" again I'd have to explain "me" all over again from the beginning.

Charles, there is no explanation for you. You are truly unique. Stay that way. LOL.

[...] [edited by admin]
  • melofluentmelofluent
    [responding to a note from the admin, which I have since removed:]

Hey now, RC, I've stayed on topic! And added some of my best bits....
    I tell ya, I can't get no R-S-P-E-C-T.

See what I did there, Little Joe, combined Rodney Dangerfield and President Obama!
  • Andrew Motyka
    BTW, the key of HMGW is actually meant to be rendered in D.

Wow. That puts the lowest pitch (for a congregational song, no less) at a low G.
  • chonakchonak
    [Note: I've taken out some over-the-top language from the thread, along with responses to it. I did save a copy of the original text, in case anyone wants to get their prose back. -- admin]
  • kenstb
    Hey folks, can we agree to stop making Chonak work so hard?
    Thanked by 1mrcopper
  • francis
    kenstb

Then we would all have to refrain from posting our opinions!
    Thanked by 1kenstb
  • G
    I think scripture could have used the addition of, "Inferior music will always be with you."
    Blessed are the poor in taste?
    And thus it always was, and will always be -- I had a chance to browse through a stack of Diapason magazine from the early '60s, and almost was thrown out of the library fo laughing so hard when I came across an article written by a religious sister about how wonderful Vatican Two was going to be, no more bad/sentimental/inappropriate/secular sounding music at Church!

I hope the poor dear died not too disappointed. I know of people, (who had access to excellent liturgy pre-council,) who died just in time not to be martyred by what became of their music programs.

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
  • bkenney27bkenney27
    V: Inferior music be with you always.
    R: And with your spirit.

You forgot:
    V. Good Morning.
    R. Good Morning, Father.
  • CharlesW
    ...when I came across an article written by a religious sister about how wonderful Vatican Two was going to be, no more bad/sentimental/inappropriate/secular sounding music at Church!

There were many who thought that at the time. Most had no idea what was coming.
    Thanked by 3Salieri francis Gavin
  • SalieriSalieri
    There's also:

V. Havernice Day (P.T. Alleluia, alleluia.)
    R. You too, Father (P.T. Alleluia, alleluia.)
  • GavinGavin
    Ever hear this one?

V. The Lord be with you.
    R. And with your spirit.
    V. Thank you!
  • bkenney27bkenney27
    We have a visiting priest occasionally that does that at every Mass. It is usually followed by something like:

R. You're welc... ... o_O
  • bkenney27bkenney27
    We also have the Havernice after the Ite by our Parochial Vicar.
  • bfranckbfranck
    Chonak is most certainly right about the Basilica of SS. Peter and Paul in Lewiston, Maine as being a haven for fine sacred music. The music director there, Scott Vaillancourt, has worked long and many hard hours to gradually raise the standard for Mass. Prior to his arrival, there was the usual "bongo band" doing its thing with the regular song "ditties" making their weekly appearance.
    The church boasts an outstanding 4 manual 66 rank Casavant Freres organ built in 1938. The instrument has been the central feature in a number of important concerts over the years. Both Marcel Dupre and Charles-Marie Courboin presented programs there!
    Unfortunately, the same cannot be said for the Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception in Portland. The program is now in the hands of a "people-pleasing", "Wa-Wa music loving" individual who will bring the once fine program to its knees. They had a young and enthusiastic musician with one of the most gorgeous baritone voices I have ever heard. This man left to take up a post at the Vatican. I combed the Cathedral's bulletins online for several weeks afterwards. Not one word of a well wish or gratitude for his devotion and service was expressed. His name just simply disappeared from the staff page one week and that was it. No wonder there is so much hostility coming from liturgical musicians these days!
    Salieri is right too. The pre-Vatican II church had its share and own versions of the "sacro-pop" style. I just think that pre-Vatican II did not stoop to such a low level as has post-Vatican II.
    I seriously doubt that Ratzinger would spit in anyone's face. He is too kind of a man to do that. But, did anyone notice the beaming expression of joy on his face when as Pope Benedict he was treated to the most robust congregational singing of "Christ Is Made the Sure Foundation" upon his visit to London's Westminster Abbey? I can just imagine what he was thinking to himself, perhaps, THIS is the way singing at Mass is meant to be!
    But now, returning back to the "doldrums" of the American Catholic Church, don't expect to find that wonderful hymn by Henry Purcell in Oregon Catholic Press' "cutting-edge" publication "Breaking Bread". And for that matter, you will also not find "Savior of the Nations Come" for Advent or Stanford's wonderful hymn-tune "Engelberg". They have been systematically removed. I called one day and asked the senior editor, Randall DeBruyn why. His "wimpy" answer to justify the removal, "they were not being used that much". You would think that someone with a PhD in music theory might display a little more "guts" and support a move to better musical quality!
  • Blaise
    Very brief remarks here, but this thread is the one where I have seen the moderator edit posts the most. Unfortunately, I always skip out on the fun, if you will, and never get to see forum posters at their best (by that I mean their worst).
  • chonakchonak
    bfranck, the new Archbishop of Portland in Oregon spoke at the Sacred Music Colloquium in 2013. Since he sits on the board of that publishing house, perhaps he can bring some good influence to it.

Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • hartleymartin
    "To Jesus' Heart All Burning"... wow. I wish that hymn would disappear. At least I have "All Ye Who Seek a Comfort Sure" and "Jesus in Your Heart We Find" to use in it's place. The latter is an Australian Hymn, considered to be a classic from the Connolley/McAuley team. They wrote some of the best new hymns just before and after Vatican II. Richard Connolley is still alive and kicking, although he must be in his 90s now.

His "Festival Mass of St Francis" (2005) is a great example of goof contemporary musix. Yes, it is in Latin and intended as a choir+organ piece, bit it's such a powerful piece of music.
    Thanked by 2Gavin Jenny
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Sir bfranck, you are indeed correct about the editorial incompetency of OCP. Having appeared before all of them (as an arranger/performer on behalf of one of their stable of "artists," don't ask please), with the sole exception of Dr. DeBruyn, it clearly amounted to an inquisition of dour fools. He's retired now, bless his soul.
    What I find disturbing about your anecdotal encounter with him and his answer is that it verifies that those ridiculous survey sheets I fill out with extensive commentary attached are selectively used to justify the increasing scarcity of better hymnody, the scandalous absence of more than token chant, and the worst, THE WORST collection of Mass Ordinaries in any hymnal. And if anyone's bothered to look at the addition/subtraction ratio of new titles/old titles over the three years since MR3, they add very little, and have a curious penchant for removing the better hymns and their tunes. It's absolutely maddening, so I'll rant and rage with you.
    2015 will be our last year of BB. It is too complicated to explain why we (four parish merge) cannot make the change for Advent, but I will live to see a real book in pews, finally, even if I have to work with Noel to craft our own!
    Thanked by 2francis CHGiffen
  • francis
    Yea MELO!!!!!
    336 x 475 - 227K
    Thanked by 2melofluent CHGiffen
  • bkenney27bkenney27
    I'm trying to move away from Breaking Bread, too and intended 2014 to be our last year... It's looking like it might have to be 2015.
  • mrcoppermrcopper
    Having read this tread, all I can say is wow. And I din't even get to read the censored stuff.
    Thanked by 3francis CHGiffen Blaise
  • francis
    ...Yes. Please send all censored thoughts to censoredthoughts@myopus.com.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    I remember growing up in Canada and going to a "Catholic" school, we would have a school Mass 3 or 4 times per year... They'd bring over a boom box and play Carey Landry cassette tapes during the Procession, Offertory, Communion, and Recessional points of the Mass. The rest of the Mass was spoken of course.

I wonder if that experience is some part of what has lead me to do what I do for a living...
    Thanked by 1bkenney27
  • melofluentmelofluent
    You told me it was, like Dr. Zmirak, the wine, whisky, women and song! And the white suit. You must have seen David Byrne in his BIG WHITE SUIT in the greatest concert film "Stop Making Sense."
  • bfranckbfranck
    Is there any chance that I was destined for this discussion? It is almost like everything I am reading here is coming true! I will explain.
    My new Catholic church position is as interim organist for an average sized community in Winslow, Maine, once a thriving mill town combined with the railroad industry.
    Two of the regular cantors happened to show up for the regular Saturday afternoon Mass today. One of them reminded me that I had not scheduled any "Marian" hymns or songs for the month of May. Now, where have I heard this before?
    The other cantor offered to sing "Ave Maria" or .... YOU GUESSED IT, the subject of this whole discussion! The deja vous is really starting to get to me here. I quickly released my usual "psycho-babble" on the subject matter, toned down somewhat from my comments on these pages.
    I was able to steer her towards the Schubert instead, for which she did a very respectable job. I commented to the young lady after Mass what a fine job she did holding the rhythm together with subtlety in the use of rubato. So often organists can be subjected to various distortions coming from untrained singers. She suggested that we place the song at the "Presentation of the Gifts", which I was only too happy to oblige. That meant the removal of "Christ Be Our Light", my usual sleep aid at night.
    Because of that last minute substitution, we were able to have a Mass free of any "junk" music! We opened with "Hail Thee, Festival Day" and used that wonderful Elgar tune for "See Us, Lord, About Your Altar" at Communion. (If OCP removes that one, you will read about me in the newspaper being arrested for attempted arson on the Oregon Catholic Press corporate headquarters!) The Mass closed with "Joyful, Joyful We Adore You".
    I noticed mention was made above concerning a Latin language St. Francis Mass. One of the more conservative priests in the Diocese of Portland, Maine was co-chancellor of the diocese at the time of the Australian World Youth Day gathering. While there as a representative of the Diocese, he was introduced to the St. Francis Mass by Paul Taylor. Upon returning home, he orchestrated a change for the entire Diocese, where all parishes would use this setting or a basic chant style setting of the Ordinary, when it was time to begin with the new Mass texts. So, this is what we are consistently using now and it has made quite a difference in the amount of congregational participation. Good Bye, "Mass of Dis-Creation" or is it "Dis-Cretion"!
  • hartleymartin
    Mass of St Francis by Paul Taylor is an excellent congregational English setting of the mass. The parish where I now work uses this and Mass of St Margaret Mary (written by the parish music co-ordinator). The one that was sung at World Youth Day Sydney was written by George Palmer, a mixed Latin/English setting, and has quietly died amongst Australian Parishes. It didn't make the cut for the Australian Catholic Bishops Conference selection of recommended mass settings.

Paul Taylor's Mass of St Francis is probably my favourite and preferred mass out of the recommended settings for use in Australia. It's very singable, congregations pick it up quickly and has a good, moving melody line. It's also not hard to play, only one octave (D to D) in range. It makes excellent service music. It plays well on organ, piano, or even with a guitar if you must have it. What more could you ask for in an English congregational setting? It has quickly become one of the most popular ones in Australia.

Bishop Anthony Fischer (known locally as Antonius Parramattensis, Piscator Hominorum) required all pilgrim groups to learn the ICEL Chant Mass when going on pilgrimmage with him. I've been told that lots of other English-speaking pilgrim groups started tagging along to his masses after hearing the chant mass. In all seriousness, all English-speaking parishes should adopt the ICEL chant mass and one or two other settings. At least then, we would all be able to sing the mass together at international gatherings. It would be even better if they could use the Latin originals!
  • hartleymartin
    One that note, WYD 2008 Sydney was one of the first World Youth Days to use a somewhat more traditional style of liturgical music. There was plenty of popular religious music, but this was kept distinct and separate from the liturgical music. A lot of young people went away, feeling quite enthused about more traditional music, and even sparked some interest in Latin. It set a precedence of not "focus-grouping" the music to a "target-audience" and demonstrating that you don't have to have a rock concert to have youth at mass.
  • It's good to have a well-balanced, healthy music diet.
    Both of my parishes are insistent in have a bland diet of a single setting, with almost no hope of ever having a chant anything. Although with our upcoming Schola Cantorum we can at least try it one of these days. I hope to strike some balance between languages. Definitely leaving the Kyrie in Greek and Angus Dei in Latin for appetizers.
  • francis
    Continuousbass:

I have a different perspective.

It's good to tip the scale towards authentic liturgical music, and dump the McDonalds. :)
    Thanked by 1Continuousbass
  • I'm watching with interest the answers that are given here.. There are a couple of things to consiyet a couple of things to consider. 11 is that this particular song was written during the seventies. That was the time of experimentation.. People were doing the best that they could. Organisms were very expensive. And so guitar masses became very popular. Along with guitar masses were people that knew nothing about liturgical music. I should know. I was one of them ( Yes... I even sang Blowin' inches Wind. Lol). As time went on, someone came up with the idea that this was a marketable field. And so were born the capitalistic hymns. And so we're born capitalistic hymns.... hymns for profit. Organists were phased out completely and and the turgical experts were created. In addition, the music that is being written these days either centers on politics social Justice or the like.. If we listen to the young people and what they listen to and want to sing, you'll find that they are leaning more and more towards praising God, even if it's music that's horrible. Vatican II was trying to give the praise of God back to the people. After Trent the peoples parts were all given to the tha altar boys or the choirs. The music had become too sophisticated for the people to sing. The mass in Latin, and the average person did not speak Latin. Vatican II gave the worship back to the people.. After all, the original choir were the people. I've always taught the paris musicians that if the people are not responding, either it was too difficult, or it had become a performance. So if you look at what comes out in Oregon Catholic press or other other publishers, it seems like they are catering to the composers. It's composers that compose all of this politically correct and controversial music . Rather than praising God, it's all about us and how good we are. Musicians have gotten away from the away from the praises of God.. They've gotten away from singable melodies. So if you wonder why people sing to catchy little tunes, it's because it's their praise and that's the only thing that they can sing. When it comes to writing music for the congregation, we must get back To giving the people something that they can sing. We must give them something that is theologically sound.. And it should not be something that is difficult for the people to understand. It's that simple.
    Thanked by 2Don9of11 hilluminar
  • Reverend Father Amaro,

There is a saying, "the plural of anecdote is data". Here's my anecdote.

I was a young boy in the 1970s, and grew up singing beautiful, challenging music. It lifted my heart to God and taught me the depth of the faith, even though I wasn't yet Catholic. I joined a choir when I was 7 or 8. I became Catholic in 1994, on my third attempt. One problem which nearly kept me from becoming Catholic was the utterly dreadful music I encountered --- it was still a time of experimentation, but bad music had clearly taken root. Only when I discovered that beautiful music -- objectively beautiful music -- could still be found did I begin to see again the beauty and depth of the faith. I entered the Church with very little music to console me, but I have now found rich treasures of it.

I'm a grandfather now, but my children sing beautiful music. They sing not-so-beautiful music, too, but they wouldn't consider the ugly stuff suitable to worship God, nor (for that reason) appropriate for Mass.

I once taught a group of mostly non-Catholic children to sing Credo 1. The kids, who were scared at first, warmed up to the music and really enjoyed singing it when their end-of-term performance came. On the other hand, a different group of students dutifully sang my arrangement of Scarborough Fair, and found themselves the only ones at the competition not singing the "capitalist" music, as you call it. I don't know if they liked the music I taught them, but they didn't sing what everyone else was singing.
  • dad29
    Remember that there is a difference between music suitable for the Mass and music suitable for devotions. That's a very good start.
  • CharlesW
    On the occasions when I have heard "Gentle Woman..." it has been offered as a substitute for the "Hail Mary" prayer. Not even close and certainly not a substitute. I would agree with anyone who proposes that it is saccharine and sickly sweet. Many of the Marian hymns before Vatican II - yes, I am old enough to remember - were also unbearably treacly and sentimental. Not an improvement even though generally sung as "gintul womun, full uv luv."
    Thanked by 1dad29
  • KARU27
    I know people complain about the saccharine hymns from before the 1960s, but at least they weren't saccharine AND jazzy (AND heretical), as many of these "hymns" are today.
  • Dad,

Yes, you're absolutely correct that there is that difference. HMGW isn't suitable for either, because self-adulation isn't appropriate for a creature.
  • I don't understand the general disregard for this song.

Do you really have a problem with this song in particular? Or do you not like the folk genre and are just firing ammunition at one of the best exemplars of the folk genre?

It makes no sense to me that people are complaining about this song, as it does nearly everything that trads ask contemporary music to do, other than be in a different style. Nearly all the words are from scripture, it's easy to sing, and it has some compositional complexity such that I find it interesting to play.
  • CharlesW
    Interesting. I never found "gentle woman" in scripture to describe Mary. As I mentioned previously, it is not a substitute for the "Hail Mary" prayer.
    Thanked by 1ServiamScores
  • francis
    actually, the 'gentle woman' is The Great Queen in Battle Array... next to God, she is the one you would not want to mess with...