A parish liturgist?
  • ryandryand
    I did several interviews over the last couple of months, and, maybe this is weird, but I asked some of them if there was anything that could be improved upon for future interviews. What did I lack that the other candidates possessed? A belated response showed up in my inbox this afternoon:

We began to realize that we needed to go with someone that would not need any training in the area of liturgy coordination, which is a substantial part of the position. Your professional background and conversation regarding the area of music was fine – we just narrowed the list with regard to the liturgy qualification

These folks are very gracious and I'm not bitter about it (God must have other plans), but the reasoning is so strange. I thought you all might get a smirk out of it.

How much coordination does the liturgy need?
    How much expertise does that really warrant?
    Apparently lacking these skills, how does one get experience coordinating liturgies?

I thought that coordinating musicians and ensembles and working side by side with the "head sacristan" who took care of lectors and such would have been qualification enough. That, and my brilliance with navigating phone lists and a calendar (I even use newfangled computer calendars!)

I've also never run across the notion that being able to coordinate volunteers requires more training or expertise than musical proficiency and/or liturgical knowledge. How much training could it really take to fill in any gaps (and what would those gaps be) in my knowledge of how to "coordinate" the liturgy? Its baffling to me that the "liturgical coordinator" aspect of the position weighs so heavily on the decision for who to hire.

9 years of professional work in the Catholic church (and years as a volunteer before), several titles as director (certainly no coordination necessary?), published music, grew up in Haugen/Haas, spent years playing Maher et al, moved on to chant and propers and all that good stuff ... but we thought it would be too much to train you with the necessary skills as liturgical coordinator.

Must be a tough job!
  • francis
    Any title with the word "Liturgical" involved is a mystery to me! You probably want to stick with Director of Music, Choirmaster, Organist... otherwise, you might find yourself at odds with someone else's job under the same roof.
  • Ally
    Ryan,

I would say that training volunteers in these liturgical ministries does require a very specific knowledge. I do not get a smirk out of it - I actually completely understand that response. Often a position such as the one you are describing is at the same time the chief sacristan (therefore responsible for maintaining the sacristy and training people for setting up for Mass, etc), and the person responsible for all the other lay liturgical ministries, as well as the director of music. This is not uncommon. My current position includes such things, and requires one to oversee the training of all liturgical ministers, which requires familiarity with several more documents of the Church, and many more details of the rubrics, besides the theological grounding necessary to appreciate the nuances of preparing the liturgy (I don't like the word "plan" - it is planned, but we need to prepare it).

I think you may be misunderstanding the word "coordination" - it is much more than simply scheduling the people, it is being responsible for all that they do. Of course, if the parish priest is available and willing to be more involved in this aspect, it becomes simply scheduling for you. In many places, though, the pastor lets you know what they would like to happen, and you have to execute the plan. Yes, this requires specific knowledge, especially if the plan is "stick to the book"...as other people mostly do not know what the books say! That means a very detailed knowledge of the Rites of the Church, a thorough understanding of each particular role, and a particular leadership ability to make it all happen. There are many more details you are responsible for than "calendaring".

The formation I have received at the Liturgical Institute has changed the way I think about this question. Before I began there, I may have felt the same way you do, but at the end of the master's program in liturgy, I have a completely different view of this matter.

I would urge you to come visit the LI or to speak with others who have received a faithful and orthodox training in liturgy. It may help shed some light on what they are saying.

Blessings to you in your search.

Alexis
  • BenBen
    I agree, Alexis. As someone who has been acting on a regular basis as Master of Ceremonies for years, there is a lot that often needs to be prepared. It's more than you'd think.
    Thanked by 1Ally
  • G
    I have often thought that more than a larger budget for music, or sending the DRE to LA, orinvesting in Lifeteen, the greatest return on effort and investment for many a parish would be a liturgist/MC/trainer of servers.

And if only one of those could be arranged, I'd opt for the altar server wrangler; the oay off in greater reverence in the sanctuary andeducation of the young would be enormous.
    That said, I dont know how easy it would be to find an ezcellent organist/choir director who could handle those other things.

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
  • BenBen
    Agreed 1000% G!
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Ben ... are there ten of you? How else could you agree 1000%?

Just sayin' ... but then, I'm a mathematician.

• SalieriSalieri
    How bout rather than the nebulous "Liturgy coordination" thingy, they say: "In addition to playing the organ, directing the choir, training the cantors, you also need to train the readers, the servers, the EMHCs," and so on. You know, actually tell you what is required.
  • CharlesW
    You know, actually tell you what is required.

Salieri, there you go with reason and logic again. LOL
    Thanked by 1Salieri
  • PaixGioiaAmorPaixGioiaAmor
    9 years of professional work in the Catholic church (and years as a volunteer before), several titles as director (certainly no coordination necessary?), published music, grew up in Haugen/Haas, spent years playing Maher et al, moved on to chant and propers and all that good stuff ... but we thought it would be too much to train you with the necessary skills as liturgical coordinator.

Must be a tough job!

The only way to really (sort of) get inside their heads on this is to watch and see who gets the job - then google and research that person to find out what degrees, experience, etc. that person has. They might even state all of that when they introduce him/her to the parish.
  • BenBen
    Ben ... are there ten of you?

We are legion.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • CharlesW
    We are legion.

ROFL
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    It seems as if the church at large is focused on the mercy of God. Unfortunately, our catechism teaches us that God is just.

An over-focus on one thing is not best corrected by an over-focus on the other.

SUMMA THEOLOGICA
    Question 21
    Article 4
    "Are justice and mercy in every work of God?"

Objection 1. It seems that not in every work of God are mercy and justice. For some works of God are attributed to mercy, as the justification of the ungodly; and others to justice, as the damnation of the wicked. Hence it is said: "Judgment without mercy to him that hath not done mercy" (James 2:13). Therefore not in every work of God do mercy and justice appear.

[ . . . ]

On the contrary, It is said (Psalm 24:10): "All the ways of the Lord are mercy and truth."

I answer that, Mercy and truth [justice] are necessarily found in all God's works[.]
  • G
    Ben ... are there ten of you? How else could you agree 1000%?
    Perhaps he's agreeing 100% with each of my 10 contradictory positions?

Like Whitman, I am large, I contain multitudes.

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
  • francis
    CHG... I am shocked!

Ben ... are there ten of you? How else could you agree 1000%? Just sayin' ... but then, I'm a mathematician.

100% of one is the same as 100% of ten. They are both 100%!

230 x 291 - 49K
  • kenstb
    Actually, 100% of ten should be larger than 100% of one. Shouldn't it?
  • francis
    kenstb:

Sorry. The percentage of x is strictly a reference to its initial quantitative value of x.
  • kenstb
    Ugh!! Mathematics!! My only weakness.... ; )
  • francis
    I wish I had an 'only weakness'
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Some have many faults,
    but I have only two.
    Everything I say,
    and everything I do.
  • francis
    That is good Adam.

I made a mistake once. I thought I had made a mistake, but actually I was wrong and therefore I was mistaken.
  • mrcoppermrcopper
    nm
  • 100% of ten, 1000% of one, tomato, tomato.
  • SalieriSalieri
    Adam, I can picture that embroidered on a sampler.
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood